Start by marking “Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives” as Want to Read:
Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives

Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5-8)

An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Written by #1 New York Times bestselling author V.E. Schwab and torn from the universe of the Shades of Magic sequence, this all-original comic book adventure continues the story begun in The Steel Prince - perfect for fans of bloody, swashbuckling adventure and gritty fantasy!

The young and arrogant prince Maxim
Published October 16th 2019 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Magic Vol. 2

Start your review of Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
Drewthereader20
Just read this book in one sitting and liked this one a lot more than the first one! Cannot wait for vol. 3 to come out early next year!(:
Hamad
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I love the colors and lighting in this comic!
The problem is that it was Too fast, too furious
Gemma ♕ antari.and.the.books
Just love this whole thing. Loved the Night of Knives, loved the art, loved it all!
Yoda
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The artwork is again amazing, and the story itself is great. I´m definitely going to continue reading this series.
Hasna
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, graphic-novel
Things ended before I could even grasp what was happening. There could be 6 or 8 issues rather than only 4. 🙄
Vicky Again
I read this in--no joke--30 minutes. The art style is similar to Vol. 1, in that dark, thick line art style. I will say that I'm curious about the norms in coloring, because I think (?) Maxim is Black. I'm wondering about the coloring of palms and stuff & how in reality, everyone's palms are lighter than the rest of their skin, but I feel like this isn't fully represented in the art. I know lighting is a thing that exists & can throw this off, but I am curious who was consulted about this.

Eithe
Faith M ✨
Better than the first one but also way worse. I liked some aspects but found them to be rushed and undeveloped. The trials themselves ended too quickly for any satisfying resolution and the main conflict came a little out of nowhere. The big plot twist was obvious from the start to anyone who has any knowledge about the Shades of Magic universe. And the fact that the art kept changing was jarring, especially since Maxim looked significantly older in one of the styles than in the other.

Also, what
Myrto
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Some scenes (and especially fight scenes) left me a bit confused and disoriented and I think I wasn't as invested as I was in the first volume but overall I enjoyed this.

Happy reading!
Carol Flores
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
4.5/5
The second volume of the Shades of Magic graphic novels is once again filled with action scenes because now, Prince Maxim has to prove himself to his soldiers by completing 4 trials called The Night of the Knives.

The thing is, nobody has ever come alive out of the fourth trial. Most people give in at the second one, and even the bravest survivors, had only completed 3 of them. But Maxim is a proud prince, and he will do whatever it takes to gain the respect of his fellow soldiers. Like he
Chloe
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7/10.

The pros: This was definitely an improvement on the first volume in terms of the storyline. It was very fun to read, and the art is really amazing. It's diverse and creative. I love getting more from this world!

The cons: There are times when it's a little hard to follow and stay invested, but for the most part, I didn't struggle with this volume and I enjoyed it!

The conclusion: I'm excited to get the final installment when it's released soon and see how it all concludes!
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
Full Review on The Candid Cover

This second volume of the Shades of Magic graphic novels by V. E. Schwab follows Maxim taking on the challenges of the Night of Knives to earn the respect of his troops, and it is a great complement to the main series.

❀ SUSPENSEFUL

I loved the suspense of each trial and the thrill that comes with the idea that no one has ever made it out of all four alive. It is also interesting how we get to see a different side of Maxim as he is forced to face his weaknesses. He h
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

I thought the first volume felt a bit unfinished/rushed just because it was the introduction, but now I'm thinking that four issues are just not enough to tell the kinds of stories that Schwab wants to tell. This one was definitely interesting and a cool concept, but it seemed like it was over almost before it began. Also I still have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the artist. Still a good read and I love the extended background we are getting on the Shades of Magic wor
Rod Brown
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm only reading this because the first volume is a graphic novel nominee for the Goodreads Choice Awards, I had checked both volumes out of the library at the same time, and they are very short, so why not read both? I have not previously read any books in the Shades of Magic series or by the author. This is the second book of a trilogy of graphic novels adapting a single sentence from one of the novels.

The protagonist remains unlikable but may be becoming a trifle less headstrong. The art rema
DJ
This one was definitely my favourite of the three, it was a lot of fun!

I’m not much of a comic/graphic novel reader, but of course I had to read these prequels due to my love of the Shades of Magic series, and I really enjoyed them! It was cool learning more about Maxim, and the artwork was neat.
Lizzy Reads
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

This was so much fun! The art is beautiful and the story is even better than the first one!
love, jamie
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
How am I expected to wait for this?! 😭
noah
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
im not so sure this story works as a graphic novel. these trials maxim goes through happen so quickly in just a few panels that i never got a true sense of how difficult they were physically or emotionally speaking. then the trials get talked about like they were this great undertaking and im just like... ok.. he did it in like 2 seconds, but sure... it's a big deal..............
Stanislav Lozanov
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The art in this volume definitely looked worse than the previous one. Moreover, the story was not that interesting.
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

The accomplishments by the #1 New York Times bestselling author are not unbeknownst by readers today. Her gritty and deadly stories glow with an immersive and addictive quality that makes for a truly entertaining ride, whether you see it coming or not. Looking to continue her comic book trilogy by exploring the secret adventures of Maxim, a character that first made his appearance in the Shades of Magic series, V.E. Schwab expands her universe t
Teresa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first arc, but I can't believe how invested and blown away I was by Night of Knives!
Nora || نورا
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one was definitely better than the first 👏🏼
Carmen (TheReadingTrashQueen)
A huge thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for providing me with an ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

Well, I gotta admit... after really disliking the first volume, I was not very excited to pick up the next.

I am very glad to say that I really enjoyed this one!

The art is still not my thing. I just don't click with it, what can I say? But the story in this one I really loved, and even though I got distracted constantly while reading, I was glad to go back to it.

Fingers cross
Gemma Golley
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
The art stye was really disorientating, especially during the fight scenes and when magic was involved. I found that each character's face kept changing throughout the comic too which aided the confusion. I'm looking forward to the last comic, because despite the art direction, the story is really cool!
Josie Pawlicka
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5. So so dope. I think I loved this one even more than the first. Even though it took me just over 30min to read, there were just so many tasty visual and storytelling morsels sprinkled throughout the novel! Im always a sucker for magic competitions and I loved that we got one in this volume. Now i just maybe NEED. MORE.
Vanessa
I enjoyed this one so much more than Volume 1. There was a magical tournament and I really appreciated the visual details. I feel more drawn to Maxim as a character than before and this volume left on an intriguing cliffhanger! The Shades of Magic universe never ceases to amaze me.
Charity (Reading at Midnight)
This was alright. The ending was really confusing - not plot-wise but simply because the jump cuts with the art made it difficult to understand who was where and exactly what was going on. I was glad to finally see some Antari magic in this volume (I mean about freaking time!).
Ally
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2019
I just want these to be full length novels.
Dash
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is getting super, super interesting! 😍
A C
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was super fun. I don't really have much to say. The Antari magician was a fun twist that I wasn't expecting.
Maddie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I had the same problems with this one as the first one. The art style seems to add confusion where there probably shouldn't be any (fight scenes particularly because they contain magic that's a bit abstract, distinguishing side characters from each other, making out facial expressions etc). I definitely liked the storyline a bit better than the first one though!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Everyday Angel: Three Novels
  • Fence, Vol. 4: Rivals
  • Memento (The Illuminae Files, #0.5)
  • Vampires Never Get Old: Tales with Fresh Bite
  • The Lives of Saints (Grishaverse)
  • The Near Witch (The Near Witch, #1)
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • Fence, Vol. 3
  • The Seventh Voyage: Star Diaries
  • A Thief Among the Trees: An Ember in the Ashes Graphic Novel
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle, #2)
  • Fence: Striking Distance
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Witchy
  • Monstress, Vol. 5: Warchild (Monstress #5)
  • Swamp Thing: Twin Branches
V.E. Schwab is the name Victoria Schwab publishes her adult books under.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Steel Prince #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • The Steel Prince #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Steel Prince #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Night of Knives #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Night of Knives #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Night of Knives #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Night of Knives #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)
  • The Rebel Army #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)
  • The Rebel Army #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #10)

Articles featuring this book