Start by marking “Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives” as Want to Read:
Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives

Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives

(Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5-8)

Written by #1 New York Times bestselling author V.E. Schwab and torn from the universe of the Shades of Magic sequence, this all-original comic book adventure continues the story begun in The Steel Prince - perfect for fans of bloody, swashbuckling adventure and gritty fantasy!

The young and arrogant prince Maxim Maresh, having faced the terror of the Pirate Queen, now aim
Published October 16th 2019 by Titan Comics

To ask other readers questions about Shades of Magic Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shades of Magic Vol. 2

Start your review of Shades of Magic Vol. 2: Night of Knives
Drewthereader20
Just read this book in one sitting and liked this one a lot more than the first one! Cannot wait for vol. 3 to come out early next year!(:
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just love this whole thing. Loved the Night of Knives, loved the art, loved it all!
Myrto
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Some scenes (and especially fight scenes) left me a bit confused and disoriented and I think I wasn't as invested as I was in the first volume but overall I enjoyed this.

Happy reading!
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

I thought the first volume felt a bit unfinished/rushed just because it was the introduction, but now I'm thinking that four issues are just not enough to tell the kinds of stories that Schwab wants to tell. This one was definitely interesting and a cool concept, but it seemed like it was over almost before it began. Also I still have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the artist. Still a good read and I love the extended background we are getting on the Shades
Love, Jamie
Mar 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
How am I expected to wait for this?! 😭
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

The accomplishments by the #1 New York Times bestselling author are not unbeknownst by readers today. Her gritty and deadly stories glow with an immersive and addictive quality that makes for a truly entertaining ride, whether you see it coming or not. Looking to continue her comic book trilogy by exploring the secret adventures of Maxim, a character that first made his appearance in the Shades of Magic series, V.E. Schwab expands her universe through a
Teresa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first arc, but I can't believe how invested and blown away I was by Night of Knives!
Stanislav Lozanov
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The art in this volume definitely looked worse than the previous one. Moreover, the story was not that interesting.
Maddie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I had the same problems with this one as the first one. The art style seems to add confusion where there probably shouldn't be any (fight scenes particularly because they contain magic that's a bit abstract, distinguishing side characters from each other, making out facial expressions etc). I definitely liked the storyline a bit better than the first one though!
noah
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
im not so sure this story works as a graphic novel. these trials maxim goes through happen so quickly in just a few panels that i never got a true sense of how difficult they were physically or emotionally speaking. then the trials get talked about like they were this great undertaking and im just like... ok.. he did it in like 2 seconds, but sure... it's a big deal..............
Alex (h00kisback)
4.5 🌟

Again, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to see into this world and follow the character of Maxim Maresh.

The art is beautiful and flows incredibly from one pane to another, and also I want all of the cover arts!

My one con is that it's a little skippy when it comes to the story, I prefer a little more discussion or having transitions be a little slower, but I do understand this is just due to format restrictions.

So yeah, go go go read this!
Maria
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
This comic has the most inconsistent artwork and the ugliest shading I’ve EVER seen.
Sorry, V.E. Schwab, but your illustrator. SUCKS. ASS. A real shame! This could’ve been such a jam if only you collaborated with the right person. Alas, your talent is wasted here.
pauline
really me-phobic of them to make me wait until october
Kristina Jagger
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mary Drover
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review for volume one is linked. This was definitely better than the first one. I’m still not in love with the art, but it’s growing on me. It’s just so unclear and not blurry, but that’s the descriptor that comes to mind. It’s got really hard lines, but no actual definition? It’s very strange. The story was a lot more interesting, too, though it still had that quality of just “and why are we learning about this?” vibe to it. We dove right into the action, which is something I’m usually a fan of ...more
Joanna
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Rach_Reads
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another really enjoyable installment in this comic series. In this bind up, Maxim wants to earn the respect of his soldiers so takes part in a challenge that will test his strength in all forms - magical, will and physical.

I found that the art was yet again super beautiful and the characters interesting but that there was less suspense and involvement of the other characters. This installment really is all about Maxim. He does grow a little as a character by the end, but overall this
Haley
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating: 3.5

I love the Shades of Magic world with all my heart and I’m so happy that we’re getting more content. The comic form is really fascinating for Maxim’s story because his experiences are so action-packed and work really well visually. Unfortunately, however, I struggled a bit with this volume because I feel like this part of the story really needed more time. I understand that there isn’t much room to work with and I think V.E. Schwab did a great job with what she had.
Arvind
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Naji
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Even though I love the characters and their developing friendships this volume felt a little underwhelming to me. Maybe it’s because it’s a comic and so of course there it isn’t going to be as lengthy as a novel or something might be... but it felt like everything was happening too fast? Most things were seemed to be resolved too quickly which left me with an empty sort of feeling?? Idk but I’ll still be reading the next Volumes since I am enjoying these.
Kelsey Hlavaty (readingwithkelsey)
Obviously I was going to love this, as I love everything from this series in general. But much like the first volume, I still feel like Scwab's writing shines through longer formats. I love the plot and I love where it's going; I am so excited to see Maxim's story develop ((view spoiler)). But, I always feel like stuff is missing. I want twenty times more ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I love getting to see more of the Shades of Magic world and how Maxim became the King of Arnes we know. I also quite like the art style even though action during some fight scenes it can be a bit confusing. It's a real treat to see Antari magic in this format as well. I can't wait to see the final installment of young Maxim's story.
maddy max.
(3,5)

When it comes to V.E. Schwab and her Shades of Magic universe, I'm an addict. Once I start reading, there's no way I'm gonna stop until I reach the end. But the art? I'm sorry but it hurts my eyes. Not so much because it's bad but simply because it's not the kind I like. At all. But who am I to judge? All I can "draw" are smileys. ^^
Bethany
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I will keep reading this series out of my enjoyment of the novels, but I just can't help but feel like this isn't a great medium for the story. The art is amazing but I feel like so much is lost without the deeper explanations and insights that a novel can give. I don't know, this book just feels like so much is missing.
Amy Braun
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! The story behind the famous Night of Knives was filled with action, peril, and devastating close calls. Familiar faces and fierce new enemies added to a fantastically written story. The gorgeous artwork added to the stunning use of magic. As with many graphic novels I adore, I wish there had been more! I really enjoyed this sequel and am excited to see what the next volume contains!
Vicki (sun.sand.and.books)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 I love V E Schwab and everything that she writes and the Shades of Magic series is one of my favorites.
While I did enjoy this I wish the "trials" where longer but then I know this a comic so things can't be too drawn out.
Nicki Markus
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second volume, continuing the story of Maxim's time in Verose. The Night of Knives trials were fun and exciting, and I look forward to seeing where the story will take us in the final volume next year.
Julia
I found this very lackluster. There's no sense of danger or powerful magic, no sense of struggle. The trials are supposed to be extraordinarily difficult and dangerous but it all felt like a walk in the park.
Audrey
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that keeps me from giving this 5 stars is that Schwab’s fight scenes are so much better when told through words instead of images. I think this story is stronger than the one in the first arc — and I’m really looking forward to where volume 3 takes us.
Kelci | Steeped in Stories
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now THIS is more like it. The second volume in the Shades of Magic graphic novels has more action and magic trials, which I love. I enjoyed this way more than the first volume — the four doors and four trials were very entertaining ✨

• Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Tunnel of Bones (Cassidy Blake, #2)
  • Princess Princess Ever After
  • The Monster of Elendhaven
  • Batman: Nightwalker
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Mortal Instruments: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 3
  • Fake Blood
  • The Bird King
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses: (Books about Princess Dancing, Unicorn Books for Girls and Kids)
  • Jane and Julio
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Spellslinger (Spellslinger, #1)
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts (Harry Potter: A Journey Through, #1)
  • Harry Potter: A Journey Through Potions and Herbology (Harry Potter: A Journey Through, #2)
  • The Jinni
  • All Hail the Queen (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #1)
  • Randomize
V.E. Schwab is a pseudonym of Victoria Schwab.

Victoria has stated that books published under V.E. Schwab are adult releases and those under Victoria Schwab are YA.

Shades of Magic Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Steel Prince #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #1)
  • The Steel Prince #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #2)
  • The Steel Prince #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #3)
  • The Steel Prince #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #4)
  • Night of Knives #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #5)
  • Night of Knives #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #6)
  • Night of Knives #3 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #7)
  • Night of Knives #4 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #8)
  • The Rebel Army #1 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #9)
  • The Rebel Army #2 (Shades of Magic Graphic Novels #10)