Start by marking “Heaven's Sky (American Dreams #1)” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Sky (American Dreams #1)

Heaven's Sky

(American Dreams #1)

It's 1935. Clarissa Wilding refuses to leave her homestead, despite the ravages of drought and relentless dust storms plaguing the Kansas plains. The competing influence of a local pastor and a helpful stranger plant seeds of doubt about her decision. With her husband away looking for work, the elements and poverty threaten to overcome her resolve to stand firm, especially ...more
Published January 31st 2019 by Cherry Blossom Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Sky

Start your review of Heaven's Sky (American Dreams #1)
Gretchen Louise
Tiny graves. Family secrets. A grieving mama. A reverend she can't believe and a drifter she must trust. An achingly real glimpse into the life of a heartbroken woman living in Kansas in 1935.

I could almost taste the grit in the scant food she had to feed her children. With each turn of the page, I could feel the layers of dust coating everything she touched.

Clarissa is searching for hope for her marriage and healing for her family amid the devastation of the Dust Bowl. And her story is one yo
Carmen
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clarissa Wilding is a stubborn woman. Ane her strong will nearly kills her son. During the 1930s dust bowl on the Kansas plains, winds whips dirt into every nook and cranny. Drought is prevalent in the region. That's when her husband leaves to find work away from the family farm and away from the horrid area. But Clarissa stays behind. She can't seem to tear herself from two small graves beyond the home.

A drifter, seemingly sent from God, shows up and offers a hand in return for shelter and foo
Gloria Latham
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Good Story From a True Time In History

This story caused me to want to know more about the terrible dust storms in the Midwest. What a terrible time. Jan Cline told this story so well. The characters are very real! Their doubts, fears and wrestling with their beliefs in God are like what many of us go through. I can't wait to start the second book.
Gail Kittleson
Jun 15, 2019 added it
Recommends it for: anybody who likes historical women's fiction
I'd mark this a must-read for anyone intrigued by the Dust Bowl era. Characterization, plot, and setting all worked together to keep me up reading later than usual. The heroine's family endures epic struggles in this devastating period in Kansas, as well as universal personal challenges. Will I read the sequel? You bet!
Linda
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't imagine facing the disasters and stresses that Clarissa and her family had to endure. To think that families in the 1930's America lived through the poverty of the Dust Bowl and lack of resources is unimaginable. In Jan Cline's story, we see how God brings help and hope in even the most terrible of circumstances. I look forward to her second book in this series. I also thank Jan for the challenge to learn about the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. I did do some research. I am richer f ...more
Marty Moore
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Book!

What an emotional and beautiful story!! This is a story of pain, forgiveness, God's grace, mercy and peace. Based during the "Dust bowl days", the author takes you through all the harrowing issues that one family in particular, is dealing with. Then she brings in the sister and walks us through their childhood pain and brought them back together better than ever. An EXCELLENT book!!
Theresa Doss
Jane
Jul 14, 2019
Kristi Rapach
Dec 22, 2019

• Up From the Ash Heap (The Shideezhi Collection)
  • The Long Trail (The McCabes Book 1)
  • Frontier Sister
  • One Man's Shadow (The McCabes Book 2)
  • Forsaken by Love (His Heart's Long Journey Book 1)
  • TENNESSEE
  • Orphan Train Annie: Finding Family (Orphan Train Adventures)
  • Lost and Found
  • Halstad House
  • Something I Am Not
  • The Cowboy's Romantic Dreamer (Montana Ranches #3)
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
  • Rejected Bride: Western Historical Romance
  • Invisible
  • Raindrops on Radishes (Urban Farm Fresh Romance #6)
  • For the Love of Jamie Long: A Novella, Prequel to the Mountain Women Series
  • The Cowboy's Convenient Marriage (Montana Ranches #4)
  • Millie and the Marksman (Redemption Bluff #1)
I'm an author, freelance writer and speaker from Idaho. I recently retired from directing a writer's conference I founded, but continue to be involved in the writing and publishing world. I love to speak to women's groups, book clubs, writer's groups, and at writer's conferences.

My love for history and old stuff keeps me busy researching for my novels and feeds my hobby of giving new life to tire

American Dreams (3 books)
  • The Pruning (American Dreams #2)
  • All My Goodbyes (American Dreams #3)

News & Interviews