Start by marking “Most Ardently” as Want to Read:
Most Ardently

Most Ardently

Elisa Benitez is proud of who she is, from her bitingly sarcastic remarks, to her love of both pretty boys and pretty girls. If someone doesnt like her, thats their problem, and Elisa couldnt care less. Particularly if that person is Darcy Fitzgerald, a snobby, socially awkward heiress with an attitude problem and more money than she knows what to do with.

From the moment
Published October 21st 2019 by Entangled: Embrace

To ask other readers questions about Most Ardently, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Most Ardently

Start your review of Most Ardently
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
anna stop expecting more from gay retellings of p&p challenge
Stacee
I will legit read anything that references P+P and I loved the synopsis and that it was a f/f story. Sadly, it was so very disappointing.

My main hang up is that I just didnt care about any of these characters. Elisa doesnt have the spark Elizabeth does and the rest of the sisters could have been interchangeable. I didnt see any sort of chemistry between Elisa and Darcy and the tension I was expecting was also missing.

Plot wise, it followed the original plot points, but they were moderately
Natasha
I received an arc from the publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I personally like starting reviews of retellings by going through the significant changes so I'll do that.

Elizabeth: name is Elisa. She's Mexican-American and bisexual.

Darcy: still named Darcy, cis women lesbian as well as biracial (Black and white)

Kitty: her name's Camilla and she's a trans girl

Collin: is Darcy's cousin

Colonel Fitzwilliam: cis girl named Willow

I've read a lot of Pride and Prejudice retellings
Farah
"Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and can't bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings only to see you. I have fought against judgment, my familys expectation, the inferiority of your birth, my rank. I will put them aside and ask you to end my agony. I love you. Most ardently."
- Darcy Fitzwilliam

Ms.Austen wrote Pride and Prejudice in 1797, I have read it too many times and when Keira Knightley + Rosamund Pike joined forces to bring the characters to life,
Amy
DID I HEAR YOU SAY...

GAY?
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE?
FEMINIST?
ROM-COM?

My full review:
Thank you, NetGalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Rating: 2.75 stars
Rep: bi, Mexican, plus-size MC, lesbian & black love interest, F/F romance, trans side character.
Trigger warnings: divorce, talks on grooming and statutory rape, girl hate, sexism.

I first saw this book on Twitter and the cover drew me in, but then I read that it was a gay Pride and Prejudice retelling and I instantly added
E.
From authors twitter:

"Ya like Pride and Prejudice? Ya like gay rom-coms? Ya like feminism and family dynamics?"

👀👀👀👀

Yes. Yes, I like
Alyssa
When I first heard about this book, I could not have jumped at the chance to review it any quicker. It was everything I could have wanted in a novel. Pride & Prejudice retelling? Check. Darcy is a woman aka an f/f romance? Check. Set in modern day? Check. What more could a girl ask for? Well, probably to actually have enjoyed the book.

The romance was not believable to me. I didnt see the connection between Elisa and Darcy at all. It was obvious Darcy had a crush but actually loving Elisa? I
Susan Mesler-Evans
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So I can't recommend my own book, but I can review and rate it?

Yeah, that seems legit.

Anyway, I wrote a book. I think it's pretty good.
Jess
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Naty
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Adorable, touching, incredibly sensitive and so sweet. I had a lot of fun with this book and I'm so glad to have picked it up! Really recommend if you're looking for a YA romcom, plus it's F/F! The hate/love tension between the two MCs was great, they're such IDIOTS, I love them.

I received a copy of this ebook via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. (See full review in http//natysbookshelf.wordpress.com )
Pam Holzner
This retelling of Pride and Prejudice takes place in modern times. It was fun watching the choices Mesler-Evans made to move the story to now.

Some of the updates worked well (instead of an Army regiment we have college students). Instead of the wayward Bennett daughter being "ruined," Mesler-Evans made Wickham into a sexual predator. That worked.

In other places more updates were needed. She kept the plot point where "Darcy's Aunt asks Elizabeth to promise to not get involved with Darcy" and
Emma
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It took me some time to warm up to the characters because I hold dear love for the original Eliza and Darcy. But these two ladies... love them for all their drama and differences and love for their sisters.

Despite the Wickham plotline, which frankly disgusted me to the point of making me nauseous, I loved this story.

Pride and Prejudice was my first love, but as an English major I can safely say that this is true to it's core and Jane Austen would have been very proud of this :')
mahana
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
modern pride and prejudice (follows the plot exactly with just a few tweaks) but darcy is a lesbian woc and elizabeth is a bisexual woc 👻👻👻👻

rep: Latina bisexual mc, half-Black lesbian li, f/f romance, side trans character
Iris
Jan 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
look I've never read, and probably never will read, Pride and Prejudice, but that said WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME THERE WAS A F/F PRIDE AND PREJUDICE RETELLING
Lindsay
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, romance
The third and final of my early 2020 reads of contemporary retellings of Pride and Prejudice. This one sticks closest to the source material in terms of plotline and characterization, although with many of the obvious changes required to update the story to modern times. In terms of criticism my main one is that some elements of the story could have handled more updating and feel somewhat anachronistic in this setting.

Elisa Benitez and her four sisters live with their mother who's obsessed with
rike
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
first things first: please heed the trigger warning for statutory rape, physical and emotional abuse and pedophilia as a character (aged 20+) has multiple relationships with minor girls (aged 13-15).

i have to admit i never read the original pride & prejudice and only saw the most recent movie. but i squealed when i saw there was a new modern sapphic version of it in which a bisexual latina and a black lesbian fall in love despite their pride and prejudices.

for the most part, this was just a
lauraღ
Sep 09, 2020 rated it liked it
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single woman in possession of a good fortune must be... difficult.

Pride and Prejudice was one of the books that I had to do for Literature in school that I actually really enjoyed, and it informed my thoughts on classic literature for a good long time. So... gay modern retelling? Sign me up! And well, I didn't end up loving this as much as I wanted to, but it was still pretty cute and entertaining. The fun part about retellings is seeing the
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: Latina bi mc, Black lesbian li, trans and nonbinary minor characters

CWs: statutory rape and mentions of domestic abuse

Galley provided by publisher

I should preface this review by saying that I have very high standards for Austen retellings (probably overly so, if were honest). So I try going in with lowered expectations.

That said, I dont think my expectations could have been lower here and I was still hugely disappointed.

Most Ardently is almost a direct retelling of Pride and
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Keelin Rita
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, queer
3.5 rounded up because its gay ...more
Liralen
Pride and Prejudice and lesbians? And racial and gender diversity? Yes please. Sign me up.

Unfortunately, Pride and Prejudice retellings so rarely get it right, or even come close. I've read (more than) my fair share of clunkers, and this definitely isn't among the worst offenders (Mr. Darcy, Vampyre comes to mind). It's just not doing anywhere near what I'd hoped for.

Let's break it down:*

Some parts of Pride and Prejudice just don't translate well to the modern day. Take the multiple weeks(!)
Angie
When I saw there was a Pride and Prejudice adaptation with two women in the Elizabeth and Darcy roles, I knew I would read this. Hell, I've been waiting forever for this. I wanted to write this. LOL. So I came in expecting to love this. And it's Pride and Prejudice, so there's really no way for me not to like this, right? Wrong.

I struggled to get into this book. Seriously, two three-week check out periods from the library and I still had not gotten past the 20% on this book. If it wasn't for
Carly
When I requested Most Ardently on Netgalley, I hadnt seen or read any iteration of Pride and Prejudice. Like ever. But the cover was super cute and I couldnt say no to what sounded like a great F/F enemies to lovers romance.

And then on the day I planned to read this, I made myself watch the Keira Knightley P&P movie in the morning. Which honestly, Im glad I made myself do because there are so parallels. I mean duh, its a retelling.

However I think this is going to be hit or miss for some
Lenna
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
P&P is one of my favorite books of all time, and this modern take on it was absolutely delightful. The changes made to the plot to adapt it to a modern audience were A+, and the author fleshed out secondary characters beyond just the one trait caricatures they were in the original (hello, Mr. Collins, I never thought I'd like you).

Overall, this was a quick, easy read, and Elisa and Darcy were wonderful and so was their romance (also, making Darcy into the world's most awkward gay was
M.  [storme reads a lot]
Oct 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you NetGalley and Entangled.

Uh... so I liked the diversity. But I didnt enjoy the book. It was rather poorly written. I hope they fix the verb tense issues. This is 400 pages of my life I wont get back. This author just isnt for me. I normally write longer reviews, but this book just isnt it. I skimmed a lot towards the end... I thought I would love it as a Mexican bisexual, but I just think this wasnt the retelling I wanted.
Lucia
Oh my FUCKING GOD
GAY PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
WITH THIS TITLE
IM-
Becky
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books, on 10/30/19.

Absolutely adorable P&P retelling with (several) modern twists!

Elisa Benitez and Darcy Fitzgerald's story hits all the main plot points of Pride and Prejudice , but does so with plenty of modern touches that help to make the story Ms Mesler-Evans' own. Elisa is bisexual and of Hispanic heritage; Darcy is biracial and a lesbian. Camilla (the second youngest of Elisa's sisters) is trans, and Elisa's parents are divorced (I was especially
dani
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
did i like it? yes. did i love it? no.
i've never read retellings this imitated before. i've read retellings with certain pieces of the original work but, most ardently felt like an exact copy of pride and prejudice. the only differences were that it's based on current days and that it's a love story between girls, everything else was the same; which made it weird. p&p it's on the 1800s and its characteristics are of that specific era of time whereas most ardently, we are in the 2010s!!!
Amanda Hanson
Oh my goodness. Okay, so, Ive never read Pride and Prejudice (dont shoot me), but this book was SO WONDERFUL that now I think Im going to have to? I stayed up basically all night finishing it. I absolutely loved the characters and the plot and everything. Everything. I cant wait to write a more complete review for this one. So freaking good. ❤ ...more
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for reviewing purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:
(view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Paper Love
  • Didn't Stay in Vegas
  • The Care and Feeding of Waspish Widows (Feminine Pursuits, #2)
  • Iron Heart (Crier's War, #2)
  • The Wrong McElroy
  • Back to September
  • What's Your Pronoun?: Beyond He and She
  • In the Palm
  • Just for Show
  • The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics (Feminine Pursuits, #1)
  • Compass Rose
  • First Position
  • Late to the Party
  • Ice Cream Wars
I'm Susie. I'm a college student, transplanted from Ohio to the Sunshine State. I write things sometimes.

Queer. Feminist. D&D. Broadway. Disney. Harry Potter. Jane Austen. Whatever.

#ImpeachTheMF