Start by marking “Discretion (The Dumonts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Discretion (The Dumonts, #1)

Discretion

(The Dumonts #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Karina Halle comes a delicious saga of wealth, luxury, and scandal—and the wicked secrets of success behind an envied family dynasty.

The Riviera means indulgence—if you’ve got money. For Sadie Reynolds, a down-on-her-luck student, the Riviera means dingy hostels and back streets. When a wrong turn puts her in jeopardy, the last thing
Published August 6th 2019 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Discretion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Discretion

Start your review of Discretion (The Dumonts, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up four, dancing stars on olalaaaaa French Riviera, hot, sexy, mysterious, deep family matters, dirty schemes, power games stars!

I have to confess, I love KH books! I admitted thousand times after reading her EIT series, she won my heart so when I start to read any of her books, it’s difficult task for me to keep my objectivity! But luckily these days I’m a little picky and looking for some meaningful, deep, life changing romance stories. My picky and critical approach helped me to j
Natalie ✩★ The Biblioholic ★✩
It's LIVE! https://amzn.to/31n14SM
Read it for FREE with Kindle Unlimited

I fell in love in Paris. Olivier was living the typical playboy lifestyle. The heir apparent to a fashion house that rivals Chanel, he's a leading hotelier who happens to have a lot of secrets. Secrets that prevent him from fulfilling his dreams. Secrets that hold him back from true happiness. But something about Sadie has him willing to take a chance, risking it all for the potential for more. Sadie is a college student
Carol
2 stars.
This one simply wasn't for me!!!
I am a big fan of Karina Halle's work (have read 18 books to date) but I struggled with this one quite a bit and I also found it fairly unsatisfying in general.

It was more than a case of not really "feeling" the connection between Olivier and Sadie- other than maybe their sexual chemistry that is. They were just such an unlikely couple in my opinion.
Also, I want to point out..... this story was beyond incredulous!!!!
And I am not joking here!!!......

I simp
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
I'm a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of Karina Halle so it'll come as no surprise that I couldn't wait to read this book. Unfortunately, it just did not work for me. I'm pretty devestated to admit it but I just didn't enjoy it. I never felt the magic between Olivier and Sadie. Of course I felt the sexual chemistry but I never bought into the rushed insta-love, I never got what made Sadie THE ONE for Olivier. I also found the drama so completely Over The Top. It was all just too crazy to be believed. It simp ...more
Tina
I love this story. Simply, It is a story of a rich man saving and poor college girl then falling in love with her. Then, The poor college girl saves the rich man and falls in love. There is a lot of drama and greatness in the book, but you will have to read it to find out all that happens. I won a kindle edition of this book from a goodreads giveaway, but this review is 100% my opinion. (*)
Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog••
I will always love anything Karina Halle writes!!! Love and adore her writing and this read didn't disappoint. Not my favorite from her, but I throughly enjoyed this one. Who wouldn't love falling in love in Paris!!! Oliver and Sadie take us on a ride of finding happiness. Definitely grab this if you are looking for a sweet, easy, and enjoyable read!!!

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
 Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕
20190801-112135

Ten years ago Olivier Dumont made a mistake that changed the course of his family’s dynamic. Still living with the guilt and the reminder from time to time, Olivier knows that the time is going to come soon when he’s going to have to answer to his indiscretion. But for now, life goes on and he’s more than okay with it. When he meets a woman that was in need of rescuing, life as Olivier knows it is about to change.

Sadie Reynolds has spent the past few weeks backpacking across Europe on her ow
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars

So… it’s been a minute since I’ve read a Karina Halle novel. Not gonna lie, I kind of quit her after the North Ridge series. Not because anything was wrong, but the woman writes so fast I can’t keep up!! And I lost my reading mojo on top of that. And I’m not reading as much indie romance as I used to. But when I went to a signing of hers recently, I was reminded of all the books by her that I love, and found myself wanting to pick her up again. And now I have a back log to catch up on!

D
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️
Very good Romance with a bit of drama and suspense!

I liked the thorough background and build up of the characters and storyline as well as the romance between the two main characters. This starts out with a foreward ten years prior where the main character Olivier Dumont, a young rich playboy does something terrible that his uncle finds out about but Olivier doesn’t want the rest of his family, especially his father to know. He seems afraid of his uncle like he is some sort of Mob boss or fearso
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
4 ⭐'s

Almost nothing's better than a poor girl having a rich man come to her rescue and that's exactly what Olivier does for Sadie when she almost gets mugged.

After a bad situation, Sadie's decided to finish off her European vacation even going as far as staying in hostels to get by. When she almost gets mugged, she sprains her ankle and Olivier offers to set her up at his hotel so she can heal.

It doesn't take long before they take things to the next level and while that was all fine and dandy
Nina
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-in-2019
*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

When it comes to romance novels, Karina Halle is definitely one of my go-to authors and she once again didn’t disappoint me.

Discretion is a great romantic suspense novel and I devoured the novel in about two sittings. Sadie and Olivier were amazing main characters and I grew fond of both of them very quickly. The only reason I’m not giving this five out of five stars is that I think the suspense part of the novel
Alba and Her Secrets..♥
3.5 'Mon lapin' Stars!
ARC provided by the publisher via via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Karina Halle, as many of you already know, is one of my favorite authors, especially when it comes to a deliciously sexy contemporary romance. Now, she comes with a new series which happens to focus a bit more on the suspense inside of a very wealthy and very famous French family. The theme surely intrigued me and I dived right in!

So, Discretion is the first installment in Karina’s The Dumonts
Syndi
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I usually like miss Halle' books. Some of her books are hit with me some of them not. Discretion is not. Its been a while since i read miss Halle's book. To be honest i am anticipating Discretion.

The story, i think its about love letter to French. But the plot lack of originality. I think the plot is very very similar to FSOG. Including the stalker part. And thats where i lost interest. I can not feel the connectiob between Oliver and Sadie. In my opinion they only have insta lust. The plots do
Kim
This book was not for me. It took me a week to get through, the story was predictable, boring and the chemistry between the two main characters was okay-ish at best. I officially knew this was going to be a two star read when the I-love-you’s popped out after them only being together for a few weeks, on top of the chick being “not like other girls” and “so different”.
Anna
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to author for providing this copy through Netgalley.

I have mixed feelings regarding this book. The heroine was painted like strong but sometimes I felt like she was too nervous, too downplaying herself ( when a man gives you a compliment, don't downplay yourself, girl!), too bad organized to be strong character for me... I think it's me...
Hero was amazing person: thoughtful, caring, faithful, alpha male, protective, hot! But I don't get why he let his bad side of family blackmail him for
Tijuana *Book Twins Reviews*
Can we pause and give a collective sigh for this gorgeous freaking cover. I have no idea who this guy is, but he is stunning! Not even gonna lie, I totally clicked on this one for him. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Karina Halle! But YUM!

Here’s what I loved:
The opening scene is so flipping compelling.

This audiobook is so so good. Olivier‘s French accent is sexy AF. Like, I’d listen to this narrator over and over again hawt!

I love angst and romantic suspense. This one had my heart in my
Mg ♥ The Bookishmedialite
Review to follow ♥.

lucie
Jun 22, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, in-english
I enjoyed the first half of the book and didn't mind the insta-love but the second half was a sugar fest and that's so not my thing. There was no chemistry and first 'I love you' came waaay too soon in my opinion. I didn't like how the book ended because it felt like Olivier just ran away from his family problems but maybe the second book in the series will look into the family business and its problem and intrigues deeper. I am not sure if I want to find out.
Underwhelming.
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 STARS

I'm always super excited when Karina has a new series for us!. This centers around Olivier Dumont, who runs the hotel side of the Dumont empire and Sadie is a poor student from US .When Olivier comes into her life unexpectedly, he offers to change it for the time she remains in Europe.

I really enjoy it, and I liked the characters a lot!There is a great banter and chemistry between them!
The plot was intrigued and there was suspense too!

“Oh, mon lapin,” he whispers, kissing me softly, “yo
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦
I've listened to the audio and I never thought I'd say this but... the french accent was annoying and hard to understand at 1.8 speed. :x
Mindy Lou's Book Review
I've been meaning to try a Karina Halle book for some time now and I enjoy her writing style. I will definitely be trying more of her books. In Discretion, the characters were good, the story kept me engaged and I love the poor girl/rich guy trope.

The only reason I liked, but not loved this story was because the blackmail against the hero just felt weak, and it made the hero come off really weak. That's a struggle for me since I like my big strong heroes.

Now, the things we learned towards the
Jade Violet
I've never read a Karina Halle book before and I usually don't go for soft romances. I also know from reviews that for some this book fell short. But, all in all, I actually really loved Discretion, in that type of way where you can see the hiccups made by the author but forgive them and go on. I also know I might be prejudiced as the first part of this book takes place on the French Riviera at the Hotel du Cap-Eden-Roc which I've stayed at and have wonderful memories of. So all of that section ...more
Sandra Cortez
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So freaking good!! This was a very early draft, I’ll post my rating when I get that final draft in my hands but it gave me some crazy good S&N car chasing vibes. ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This was a quick, exciting, and thrilling 'mafia'-esque romance read.

I loved the individual characters of Sadie and Olivier and their chemistry was dynamic. It may have been quick and on par with an insta-love but I was all about it in this instance.

This novel would be good as a standalone but also was a good introductory novel for the series. It left me wanting to know more about the stories of the other characters in the Dumont family but also left me wanting to know the future of the Dumont
Sentranced Jem
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, arc-2019
One can never go wrong with a a Karina Halle book.
I really enjoyed Discretion. I mean, what's not there to enjoy it? A whirlwind romance that is sweet, steamy and oh so dreamy!

When someone utters the word France, I get giddy with excitement.When I read that Oliver and Sadie's story was going to be set in the beautiful Côte d'Azur and the most romantic place on earth Paris, I knew this book had romance written all over it!

Blog Tour

I really enjoyed this book. The secondary characters also really piqued my
* A review copy was provided by the author/publisher via Netgalley *

OMG!!! I absolutely LOVED this book. Discretion is the first book I have read by Karina Halle and it won't be my last!!! I don't know what has taken me so long to pick up her books. I have many sitting on my kindle.

This book had a little bit of everything in it, there was romance, humor, heartache and suspenseful drama. I loved the characters we met in this story. Although she did give us some that I didn't like so much, but t
Bookphenomena (Micky)
2.5 - 3 stars.

I have to admit, requesting this arc was somewhat influenced by the cover, that guy just had some appeal and when I read the blurb it was definitely interesting. I mostly enjoy Karina Halle’s books but this one was a bit of a miss for me and I will try and explain why.

The Dumont family were alluring French designers and hoteliers. They were a rich and entitled set of two sides, one side of inscrupulous types and another side with some integrity. Olivier was a rescuer with a great
Maria11
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh... this barely held my attention. It started off so good then nose dived quickly. Olivier’s wrong doing to me didn’t not seem like the ultimate betrayal that it was made out to be. It left me rubbing my head going: Really! That’s it?!? Then all the bad stuff that the uncle and cousin did and there is no closure or thought of revenge. Made no sense what so ever. This read was a total waste of time.

Received a copy from the publisher for an honest review.
Alexandrea Jarvis
DNF'd, sadly. Might re-visit later on.

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Radd Reader
“I will always follow you.”

Characters
Olivier (30, heir to the Dumont empire in France):
Olivier has deviated from the family dynasty by becoming a hotelier. The story opens 10 years ago with Olivier admitting that he has done something that has put him in a corner he can't escape. His uncle has accused him of "breaking the bonds of family" and Olivier has to strike a deal with his horrible uncle. What has he done??? 🤔 I have an idea. What has he agreed to???? 🤔 I have an idea. Fast forward 1

• Park Avenue Player
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • Dirty Letters
  • The Day He Came Back
  • Million Dollar Marriage (Million Dollar, #2)
  • Resist (Wicked Ways, #1)
  • Anyone But Rich (Anyone But..., #1)
  • Reveal (Wicked Ways, #2)
  • The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1)
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • I Hate You
  • His Royal Highness
  • Stealing Her (Covet, #1)
  • Boss of Me
  • The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet #2)
  • Stay
  • The Sinful King (Naughty Royals, #1)
  • The Best Thing
Karina Halle is a screenwriter, a former music & travel journalist, and the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling author of The Pact, A Nordic King, and Sins & Needles, as well as sixty other wild and romantic reads.

She, her musician husband, and their adopted pit bull, Bruce, live in a rainforest on an island off the coast of British Columbia, where they operate Raven Ri

The Dumonts (3 books)
  • Disarm (The Dumonts, #2)
  • Disavow (The Dumonts, #3)

News & Interviews

“Our lives are made up of nothing but moments.
But I want to live in every moment with her.”
2 likes
“Look at you, being all romantic.”
“I’m always romantic,” he says, kissing my neck. “Because it’s impossible to be anything but a lovestruck slave around you.”
2 likes