Start by marking “The Mystwick School of Musicraft” as Want to Read:

The Mystwick School of Musicraft

Humor and heart shine in this middle grade fantasy about a girl who attends a boarding school to learn how to use music to create magic, perfect for fans of Nevermoor and The School for Good and Evil series.

Amelia Jones always dreamed of attending the Mystwick School of Musicraft, where the worlds most promising musicians learn to create magic. So when Amelia botches her
Published January 21st 2020 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystwick School of Musicraft, please sign up.
Queen Static She mentioned on her social media that Amelia is going to have more adventures, so I think that it is going to be more than one book.…moreShe mentioned on her social media that Amelia is going to have more adventures, so I think that it is going to be more than one book. (less)

Start your review of The Mystwick School of Musicraft
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Harry Potter with musical instruments? The premise got me, a Harry Potter fan with 10+ years of music lessons under my belt, pretty flipping excited. My instrument of choice was even the flute (and by the way, major props to the cover artiste for drawing the girl holding the flute with correct positioning of the hands). I don't usually go for middle grade novels, but as a flute player with a fondness for magical schools, it seemed like a
Trine
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't really say why I loved this story so much. It was by no means perfect, it did had its flaws, such as the messages about being true to yourself was hammered fairly heavy into your head, but still.
Perhaps it was the audio version with its brilliant incoorporation of background music that made the experience of music and magic extra poignant. I kept listening whenever I had a free moment to hear which wonderful piece of music I would be treated to next.
Ian
Amelia dreams of attending the Mystwick School of Musicraft but after a calamitous audition her hopes are crushed. But all is not lost. Through a freak of fate she finds herself accepted although her room-mate despises her, her teacher knows she doesn't belong and even the ghosts want her out.

The Mystwick School of Musicraft is not perfect, far from it. Apart from the central idea, which is the reason I bought the book, it's heavy in tropes and honestly in parts it borders on annoying. The good
Lizzy Reads
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a fun book about music, magic and believing in yourself. Yes, it has quite a lot of tropes but there is also twists that give it a fresh and unique feeling.

Linda
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Hello, Harry Potter fans..........this is the book for you! Strangely enough as I started to read this book I was concerned that it was too similar to that famous book, but I was wrong! This gem features a lot of fantasy elements about a school for mystical musicians. Being a music teacher myself, I really enjoyed this aspect of it and noticed that the author wrote with such accurate details. She must be a music teacher (or at least a musician) herself. I found that I couldn't put this book down ...more
Sheila Beaumont
This Audible Original audiobook, free to subscribers, was a delight to listen to. It's set in a world where music literally is magic and at a school where this magic, called Musicraft, is taught. It's also going to be published as a print book and ebook, but I don't think it would be nearly as much fun without the music, which includes pieces by Pachelbel, Mozart, Beethoven, Debussy, and other composers. Suzy Jackson, as Amelia Jones, who is determined to be accepted into the school after a ...more
Narilka
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2019
Sometimes you find a gem with the monthly free titles from Audible. The Mystwick School of Musicraft by Jessica Khoury is one of these gems. I went in expecting a musical Harry Potter and got so much more. The story is absolutely charming, told with a lot of heart and has a strong message about believing in yourself. Here's the official blurb:

Amelia Jones has always dreamed of attending the Mystwick School of Musicraft, where the worlds most promising musicians learn to create musical magic.
Janne Janssens
To be honest, I didn't expect to enjoy The Mystwick School of Musicraft so much. It has been years since I read a book for such a young audience. However, this was a fun and light read!
The story was full of magic and I loved hearing the music the Mystwick students playing in the background.
Suzy Jackson is easily the best narrator I have ever listened to. She gave every character each their own voice and accent without sounding weird.
A
This was such a whimsical and beautiful story :) first of all, I definitely recommend you reading this in audiobook format, because it includes a bunch of absolutely wonderful musical performances why, you ask? because in this fantasy middle grade story its the musicians that create all sort of magic when they play :) Amelia, our heroine is twelve-ish years old, or so I think, but dont quote me on that cause that particular detail slipped my mind ;) all she wants to do is get into this very ...more
Colleen Houck
I love the dirigible spelled organ school bus! That's so cool. I found myself really wishing I could play a musical instrument so I could be friends with these kids. If you ever played a musical instrument in school or aspired to, you need to pick up this book. It's so fun!
Mariah
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a beautiful surprise. RTC
Sarah E.
Sep 04, 2019 marked it as physical-tbr
A redhead playing a flute (correctly) on the front cover? SIGN ME UP.
Melissa Rose
You know, as a 30-year-old adult, I did not expect to enjoy this middle-grade story from Audible. However, much to my surprise, I was sucked into the world of Mystwick.

In terms of the story, The Mystwick School of Musicraft brought back a lot of the magical joy that I experienced reading Harry Potter for the first time, but with a musical twist (which mad my former band nerd heart leap with delight).

Story aside, the orchestral performances that accompanied the narrative were incredible and a
Karina
Rating: 4 Stars:★★★★ (Maybe 4.5? Still deciding on a rating!)

The Mystwick School Of Musicraft is a charming and delightful Middle Grade novel that follows Amelia Jones and her journey, when she attends her dream school of Mystwick to continue learning about creating magic through music! But the journey is a bit tougher than she anticipates and throughout the novel she faces obstacles, struggles with her studies, but ultimately learns more about trusting the music within herself!

With how the
Connor
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
[3.5 Stars] Woah, this was certainly a fun ride! It's been a long time since I have read a novel by Jessica Khoury, so I'm happy to say this one was just as entertaining as her other book I've read.

I really loved the musical elements. I've seen some people comment on its accuracy which I like to see. I am very musically-inept, so I can't personally comment on that. But it seems like Khoury really did her homework and brought in a lot of accuracy with how she described music and different
Cori
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
I like to dabble in writing fantasy books, among other genres, so I'm fascinated by an interesting magical system. The Mystwick School of Musicraft uses...wait for it...music to craft magic spells. Naturally, I was intrigued.

Amelia Jones lives with her grandmother and has dreamed her whole life of going to Mystwick, the same school her mother attended before she died. Her mother was a maestro (think wizard), and Amelia wants nothing more than to follow in her mother's footsteps.

The book's
Maria Elmvang
This is definitely a book that gains hugely from being "read" as an audiobook. The inclusion of music in every chapter is awesome and made for a totally different (and more immersive) reading experience... even if listening to the music did sometimes cause me to forget all about listening to the actual words! No matter - worth it :-D

It started out being very Harry Potter'ish, but fortunately quickly changed tracks completely with Mystwick being very different from Hogwarts. I do wish we could
Lisa Hartz
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got the audio version for free on Audible. I am a middle school art teacher and always trying to find new books to recommend to students. This is now hands down one of my favorites! I couldnt imagine reading it - Id be dying to hear the sounds. With the Audible version, a youth orchestra plays accompanying music in the background during certain parts and it is so lovely. The narrator does a fabulous job as well.

The story itself is a great story and written like its an actual 7th grader. Many
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
This was so freaking cute! I don't know how accurate all of the information about instruments and music was but having a Hogwarts where you cast spells by playing music is the most pure thing ever! The characters, ghost mystery and magic was so much fun.
Aina
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks
2nd reading
Gave this 4 starts but the second time was even better so I gave it 5 stars this time.
Btw Chapter 28 is just Chef's Kiss

1st read
This was fantastic!? I had such much fun listening to this it was a really great experience, this book was definitely written to be listened. The narrator's voice was mesmerising and it made the experience even more enjoyable! The Rock parts were my fave. I really liked the characters, and there's some nice representation too!? I'm so glad this was my fist
Guylou (Two Dogs and a Book)
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Mystwick School of Musicraft

Middle-grade books are the best remedy for any reading slump. I have been reading a lot of thrillers and historical novels lately and I needed something light and exciting. The Mystwick School of Musicraft was exactly that and more. It is the story of Amelia, a twelve-year-old, who has dreamt all her life to attend the Mystwick School of Musicraft just like her mother did. Amelia lost her mother when she was four years old and was raised by her grandmother. Through unusual events, Amelia is
Tisha (IG: Bluestocking629)
Yes five stars! The only way I could like this book more, no wait change that, The only ways I could like this book more would be: 1. if it were longer 2. If it had a sequel.

Let me get this out of the way first. When you read this book (notice I did not say if?) I highly recommend you listen to it via Audible. Not only is the narrator exceptional but the production of this is exceptional. As you can see from the title this book has to do with music. If you are simply reading the book guess what
Stacie (Shy Book Nerd)
This book was magical. Its about a girl named Amelia who goes to a magical school where instruments make magic! Amelia went through an uphill battle trying to prove that she can be at the school while also dealing with some bullies. I loved hearing about the different instruments, some I havent even heard of. It brought back memories of when my son was in band last year and how I could picture them bringing the music to life. I really wish he would get back into it, haha. The magical elements ...more
Meagan
Mar 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Predictable, but in a good way. The audible version added an actual music component, which made it more akin to a light audio drama than a book. Worth a listen - but probably not a read. (3.5/5)
Julie
This gave me Nevermoor vibes, but the magic reminded me of Pocket Full of Murder and those two are two of my favorite middle grades. The narrator did a really good job and I liked the orchestra that they added. It was a very nice touch to the overall feel of the book. It did get a bit corny in some parts, mainly at the end, but it is a kid's book so I'll forgive it for not having some complex plot/answer to the mystery. Overall I really liked this and I loved the music magic and the characters. ...more
Jessica F
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
What if music was magical? I mean really magical. As in the orchestra stopped the Titanic from sinking by playing Row, Row, Row Your Boat for three days straight.

Amelia has always wanted to be a maestro like her mother... but can she make the cut? When she gets into the Mystwick School of Musicraft by accident, she's determined to earn her place. But a vengeful ghost seems to have other plans...

Ok but can we stop pretending teachers who are d*cks to kids are mean because they really care and
MIA
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! The whole production with the music and sound effects made is such a treat to listen to!
Ingun
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has a giant teleporting church organ and music equals magic. I want to go to Mystwick.
Ruth Ferguson
This is book Harry Potter fans have waited for with an imaginative unique universe. However it is missing the humor and softer moments of the Potter gang.
Susan
This was a fun read, similar to the Harry Potter series.

I listened to the audiobook version and found the music a great addition to this book. Sometimes I felt as if I were there in this magical fictional world, because the music drew me in. This book made me want to play music, because sometimes music truly can be magical, although not quite like depicted in this book.

If only we all could find our talents so early on in life.

• Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • House of Teeth
  • Interview with the Robot
  • Foreverywhere
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
  • Junkyard Cats
  • Midnight Son
  • The Christmas Pact
  • The Eye Book
  • Jukebox Joyride
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and oil and watercolor painting. She is also a