Start by marking “Meet Me in the Future: Stories” as Want to Read:
Meet Me in the Future: Stories

Meet Me in the Future: Stories

When renegade author Kameron Hurley (The Light Brigade; The Stars Are Legion) takes you to the future, be prepared for the unexpected. Yes, it will be dangerous, frequently brutal, and often devastating. But it’s also savagely funny, deliriously strange, and absolutely brimming with adventure.

In these edgy, unexpected tales, a body-hopping mercenary avenges his pet elephan
Published September 5th 2019 by Tachyon Publications (first published August 20th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Meet Me in the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meet Me in the Future

Start your review of Meet Me in the Future: Stories
Bradley
I'm generally not that big into short stories and by way of Hurley's introduction, I might have expected her to do a so-so job with these... but Hurley lies. The writer's talents are equal across novels and short fiction. Sorry, Hurley, you're good! lol

Indeed, most of these stories are pretty amazing, delving not only into her Nyx fiction and Legion fiction and even Light Brigade, but this collection has a ton of stories that kicked me hard from a different world altogether. The only other serie
Acqua
I could sum up my thoughts about Meet Me in the Future by saying that all the stories were, if not always good, at least solid, but not one of them was memorable on its own the way I find short stories can be.
These stories are not pretty. They’re not necessarily satisfying. They would, however, be really interesting to discuss, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the whole purpose of how some of these were written. They’re meant to be shared and talked about, not read and put down, I think.
Silvana
I read the stories already via Patreon. Fantastic collection of diverse, layered, strong characters and worldbuilding. It is Kameron Hurley, after all, so I am definitely and unapologetically biased.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Kameron Hurley has this incredible ability to occupy the spaces known to the science fiction canon but somehow occupy them subversively. Just like the novels I've read by her, the stories are violent and gritty, and not always hopeful.

Some favorites:

*Elephants and Corpses* could live in the universe of Altered Carbon but with a twist.

*The Plague Givers* deals with a fallout of a relationship that might have the power to destroy the world.

*Tumbledown* features a paraplegic warrior on a frozen pla
Sam
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars. Thanks to NetGalley and Tachyon Publications for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was really expecting to love this book, but it sadly fell a bit short for me. I really liked the concept, and I enjoyed some of the individual stories, but overall, I found the experience of reading this collection to be a bit tedious. I think Hurley explores the same themes (such as gender and a a person's relationship with their own body) in a lot of her fictio
Alan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Organicx and biomecx, across the entire spectrum of possible being
Recommended to Alan by: Previous work, and longer work
I'm not a natural short fiction writer.
—"An Introduction: Meet Me in The Future," p.i
Well... Kameron Hurley may feel more comfortable writing at novel length, but... I think I like her short stories better, at least based on Meet Me in the Future and her earlier collection Apocalypse Nyx, which "carried me along with its exotic scenery and visceral intensity," just about a year ago.

As with all of Hurley's work (that I've read so far, anyway), though, Meet Me in the Future is best not read at mea
Alex
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Kameron Hurley’s heart belongs to novels. Meet Me in the Future’s introduction tells the reader as much instantly. And yet this is her second collection (third, depending on whether you believe the book itself or Hurley’s Wikipedia). To that end, some parts of Meet Me in the Future are considerably stronger than others. These stories represent Hurley’s particular fascinations: womens’ place in society, the impermanence of bodies; plague and pathology. Some she communicates well in sparkling stor ...more
Vigasia
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not often I read collections of short stories but this author I like so I decided to give it a go. There are good stories and I am happy that I've read them :)
Tim Hicks
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hmm. I didn't totally enjoy reading these, but looking back there were some darn good stories there.
Wild imagination, occasionally taking us close to what you might call fantastic SF, or SF edging on magic (of the Clarke kind).

Do read the introduction, as it sets the stage nicely with Hurley saying where's she's coming from.

Overall it's a bit dark, but not too much. There's definitely a feeling of "I want to tell a story about a person who faces challenge X, now what kind of world would prese
Rebecca
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Each story would do well on its own, but together they're kinda too similar. Overwhelmingly bleak.
Hélène Louise
Good stories even if I've appreciated some more than others.
The author's touch is always here, strong women who frequently have jobs, strengths and habits usually gifted to male characters, diverse sexuality and animals - with a special care about them (the reader doesn't need to be afraid that horrible things will happen to them).
He worlds imagined are all rather harsh and injust, this is not some bedtime stories !
I took time to read them all, because if all different they have many shared poin
Jim
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved APOCALYPSE NYX when I got to read it and I have yet to pick up the GOD'S WAR books or anything else by Hurley, but I did get to read the short stories in MEET ME in the FUTURE and I must say, I was even more impressed with her raw, beautiful stories and characters.

Hurley is unapologetic about the stories (read her Introduction for more information).

I will hunt her books down and read them all. There are very few authors I feel that way about, but Hurley is definitely one of them.
Cheyanne Lepka
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, this is going to be a short review, because I don’t have much to say other than these are fantastic! Go buy this collection.

Her writing is fascinating, and her imagination absolutely captivating. This collection has a good range of stories, some short, some long and all intriguing like you wouldn’t believe. Even weeks after reading them I find myself just thinking about some of her stories.

Overall a great collection, and one that I would recommend to absolutely anyone who loves short storie
Ron Turner
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
One of my new favorite authors. Worth it alone for the two Nev stories about a body-swapping mercenary who's seen far too much death.
Serena
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-or-giveaway
I got this e ARC from Netgalley after requesting it.

I enjoy short stories or anthologies,"Meet Me in the Future" asks how futures could play out - both ours and for worlds in fiction. What's the future if not something of a reflection of history's many nows, like a glimpse in a mirror or still water, a the kaleidoscope of possibilities, changeable still because every person carries their history and the history of imagined and dreamed stories. A lot of these short stories understandably dance b
Corvus
Kameron Hurley has quickly become on of my favorite fiction authors. I have been immersing myself in her collection of works and adding more to my shelf to read next. I was excited to get the chance to read her forthcoming short story collection, Meet Me in the Future, for the aforementioned reasons but also because I had not read any of her short stories yet.

Short story collections are this odd measure of diversity in talent in which a favored author can perform unexpectedly badly or a mediocre
Littlebookterror
This was such a refreshing collection of sci-fi short stories. I love the ideas that were explored no matter how vague or precise and spelled-out. There is something out there for everyone but I can tell you already that it pulls on your heartstrings, engages your mind and is a great conversation starter. I want to delve deeper into all these stories, dissect their meaning and find out what they convey for us personally.

If you don't want to be spoiled for anything, keep the Introductions to the
Sadie Slater
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kameron Hurley is someone whose work I've been meaning to read for ages. I was going to buy The Stars are Legion after hearing it described at Nine Worlds a couple of years ago as "lesbians in space", which seemed very relevant to my interests, but then it turned out that it's no longer available as an ebook in the UK, so when I received a e-ARC of her new short story collection, Meet Me in the Future, via Netgalley, it seemed like the ideal opportunity to give her work a try.

There are sixteen s
C. S.
A really interesting mix of stories here.

While I felt like the worldbuilding for a few of them was a little slippery, they almost always came around to an interesting and stunning point. The ideas fleshed out and explored here (like the story about the recurring war where, at the moment peace is signed, everyone who shed blood agrees to be put to death) are ones that need to be mulled over, something that sits in the back of your head that you take out like an uneasy fidget spinner on a sleeple
Kim
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I am a big fan of Kameron Hurley maybe this review is biased ;) but honestly the collection is both alarming and amazing at the same time. Everything contained in this collection is beautifully written. If I had to relate this to something I would say it's close to Karin Tidbeck's Jagganath collection. Eerie, delicate, and at the same time a bit violent in parts. Almost like a grotesque interpretive dance that you cannot drag your eyes away from.

Some of these stories are tiny little bursts of
Bethany Bee
How does Hurley do it? An utterly ferocious, squicky, thoughtful collection. One story, "The Light Brigade" was expanded into a full novel, which is FANTASTIC, but part of me loves the short story more -- so much emotion, packed into such a small space.

Such a great, great read.
Colleen
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: short story fans, SFF fans
Equal parts depressing and hopeful, this book made me feel a ridiculous amount of feelings. Really loved how balanced it was with sexuality and gender.
Angela
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, short-stories
2.5. So many unique ideas and settings but I failed to be riveted by the stories or characters. Pushing through started to feel like a chore. This was my first Hurley book so I still look forward to what she does with such great ideas and hundreds of pages to make them work!
Randall
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic set of stories from a great author. Superb. I look forward to reading more from her.
KC
Thank you to Edelweiss and Tachyon Publishing for the free review copy of this collection!

If you've read any of Kameron Hurley's longer works, nothing in this collection would be surprising, but all of the stories are interesting in their own ways. Although there were a few that felt too abstract to even grasp the setting (Enyo-Enyo, especially), there were quite a few that definitely made an impression and that I enjoyed reading.

"When We Fall" was probably the most optimistic of the bunch, and
Leticia
I would like to thank NetGalley and Tachyon Publications for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a page-turner, interesting anthology. The stories were very original and I could not put it down.

I surely will want to read more books by this author in the near future.

Here are my impressions about each short story(favorite stories in bold):

Elephants and Corpses- One of the stories with a "body-hopping" mercenary. I would gladly read a whole novel with Nev.

Wh
Tina
This ARC was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!

Short stories usually aren’t my genre of choice, but I love Kameron Hurley’s writing. She didn’t disappoint! These stories are imaginative, exciting, quick-paced and full of the visceral descriptions of violence and human (or alien) anatomy that are her marker. As with her novels, there are feminist overtones to her stories and inclusive takes on gender and sexuality. The collection is at times poignant, at oth
Ying
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kameron Hurley is becoming one of my favourite authors, I'm always excited when a new book comes out.

I would describe this collection as:
-Diverse (in gender, character's sexual orientation, world building, style, etc)
-Gritty
-Post-apocalyptic

I really loved reading these. I don't think I disliked any of them. The vibe I got from the collection was that these were stories set in universes that perhaps couldn't go further than the short story itself.. like maybe the author didn't know how to expand
Ana
Aug 12, 2019 added it
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

I DNF-ed at around 70% because I felt like I was just pushing myself through the stories. It's a little puzzling why they failed to hold my interest - part of it might be that I'm in the mood for longer stories that I can immerse myself in right now, and another part could be that the very particular atmosphere of this collection wasn't my cup of tea at the moment.

Pretty much all the stories here deal with w
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The New Voices of Science Fiction
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Hexarchate Stories
  • The Outside (The Outside, #1)
  • Phoenix Extravagant
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • The Mythic Dream
  • Escaping Exodus (Escaping Exodus, #1)
  • Gamechanger (The Bounceback, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Ivory Apples
  • The Last Tsar's Dragons
  • A Song for a New Day
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
Kameron Hurley is the author of The Light Brigade, The Stars are Legion and the essay collection The Geek Feminist Revolution, as well as the award-winning God’s War Trilogy and The Worldbreaker Saga. Hurley has won the Hugo Award, Locus Award, Kitschy Award, and Sydney J. Bounds Award for Best Newcomer. She was also a finalist for the Arthur C. Clarke Award, the Nebula Award, and the Gemmell Morn ...more

News & Interviews

“Do you know the power of story?” Moravas said. “It takes only a single generation to change the entire story of a people. Ten years. You take the children off to state schools. You tell them a story. You make it illegal to tell any other. People forget. The world moves on.” 0 likes