Start by marking “Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)” as Want to Read:
Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)

Bloody Genius

(Virgil Flowers #12)

Virgil Flowers will have to watch his back--and his mouth--as he investigates a college culture war turned deadly in the latest thriller from #1 New York Times-bestseller John Sandford.

At the local state university, two feuding departments have faced off on the battleground of PC culture. Each carries their views to extremes that may seem absurd, but highly educated people
Published October 8th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Genius, please sign up.
Alasandra Alawine No, we really didn't and why would he be leaving his computer there. He had obviously taken it home with him at some point so why would the killer…moreNo, we really didn't and why would he be leaving his computer there. He had obviously taken it home with him at some point so why would the killer assume it would be left there. A lot of this novel didn't make sense. I assume the carrel in the library was for his hook ups, but ... he was a grown man with plenty of money one would have thought he could have found a more comfortable and private place. (less)
Cheryl Winter Private place to study within a library.

Start your review of Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
David Putnam
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Alas, this one did not do for me. Sanford is my favorite, my go-to author that has never let me down.
There is still much to like in this book, the characters, the relationships. But the story...Yikes. In the very beginning where the conflict is set I even heard it in my head, oh, "The professor was killed in the library with a laptop computer," the Clue Game reference. (this isn't a "true" spoiler, it happens in the first pages).
I think what was also missing in this book was the jeopardy.
Maureen Carden
The Lothario, hunter, fisher, writer, photographer and ace investigator of the upper Midwest returns in Bloody Genius . The advent of girlfriend Frankie soon to be delivered of twins has kept him closer to home and has put paid to Virgil Flowers' roaming.
Unfortunately, the position of being one of the governor’s golden haired boys (one sided as Virgil does not return the affection) still exists and results in the governor sending him to Minneapolis to solve a particularly vicious murder.
Diane S ☔
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoughts soon.Hi Virgil,

I think it's been about a year since I've last written. Many changes, seems they've managed a better way to keep track of you, so some of your excuses will no longer fly. Your dress sense though, that hasn't changed, those t-shirts are so you, glad you seldom bow to convention.

A new case, one that sends you back to college. A murder of a well renowned, research Professor, with few apparent clues. I have to say you do work will with others when you want too, you were more
Kemper
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free advance copy of this from NetGalley for review.

If a dead body was found in a library I’d assume that he must have had some serious overdue fees. Those librarians don’t play around.

A professor who does high end medical research is found murdered in a college library so Minnesota state investigator Virgil Flower is assigned to help out when the local Minneapolis cops hit a dead end. As Virgil digs into the case his problem isn’t that there aren’t any clues, it’s that there are
Tim
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy listening to a Sandford novel to and from work. It's just like floating along to another awesome story! 9 of 10 stars
Tim
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wrote an earlier review that's either missing or part of a different edition. Perhaps Goodreads could combine all additions for reviews, please. 9 of 10 stars
Monnie
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's no secret that I love Bureau of Criminal Apprehension agent Virgil Flowers - he long ago earned a forever spot on my Top 10 list of favorite book heroes. But it's also no secret that I'm not thrilled that he's in a serious relationship with a woman - Frankie - who in fact is close to delivering a set of twins she and Virgil concocted seven months or so ago. Somehow, he'd turned into a kinder and mellower Virgil - and in the process lost a bit of the edge that endeared him to me.

Well, after
Truman32
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The thing that is great about John Sandford isn’t that he writes great thrillers (though he does). It is not that he habitually churns out high-quality work like he is some kind of mystery-writing Honda production line (though he consistently publishes two novels each year). It is not even his ability to stuff 18 hard boiled eggs into his mouth at one time (though this majestic feat has won Sandford globe-spanning accolades as well as audiences with everyone from John Stamos to the Pope). No, ...more
Janet Newport
Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Group/Putnam for this arc.

Gotta love that f**cking Flowers. Virgil is back! And he doesn't have his boat! He's come in from the backcountry and into the city for this story (without his boat). He's sent to Minneapolis to the university by the governor to help out on a two week old murder the city's investigation has stalled on. Naturally, the city detective resents his presence and well, Virgil wasn't wild about the assignment either. He does however manage to
Joyce
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

That effing Flowers is on the trail of a killer once more. This time he must go to the city – reluctantly – of Minneapolis to investigate the murder of a brilliant college professor and doctor who specializes in neurosurgery and microsurgery for those who are disabled.

With a host of suspects, including two ex-wives and one about to be ex, an estranged daughter, her two weird friends and an ongoing feud with another department at the college he and his Minneapolis detective partner have
Lesa
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Sandford is a bloody genius. I wish I could tell you how he messed up my book review for Bloody Genius, the twelfth Virgil Flowers novel, but it would spoil the book. In fact, that's what happened. I had an opening sentence all set after I read the first five pages, and then the conclusion preempted my opening. How would I know my opening sentence would have been a spoiler for the end of the book?

After Professor Quill's body is found in his library carrel at the University of Minnesota, the
Carol Jean
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Sandford writes an excellent, entertaining mystery. Secret sex in a library, murder, theft of intellectual property, money money money -- he doesn't miss a trick!

Bloody Genius is so entertaining I ordered the four books of the Kidd series to slake my reawakened appetite for Sandford!
Jeff Dickison
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good murder mystery for Flowers in this one. Not quite as bizarre as most of the Flowers' books. Sanford is beginning to domesticate Virgil who is rapidly becoming a one woman man and who appears to want to turn to a farming lifestyle. Tell me ain't so, Joe. Next thing you know he'll be wearing Beatles and Stones t-shirts.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
A good read that had the potential of being a great read until it lost its way and got a little sloppy towards the end. Virgil is investigating a murder in a Minneapolis suburb dominated by a college campus and its environs; armed with nothing but some odd, random clues. This was a refreshing break from the last few books, which had revolved around small town politics, gossip, and some ‘friendly’ backstabbing.

The story was a solid murder investigation, pretty straightforward and interesting.
Bicky
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hallelujah! John Sandford is back. His previous book Neon Prey was so boring that one wondered whether the author had changed somehow. But this book shows Sandford at his best. Virgil Flowers is as endearing as ever, the humor laugh out funny and the plot while taut and fast is also a proper detective mystery with clues and all.
Val
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy reading how Virgil Flowers's mind works as he follows a crime from clue to clue to clue, and Bloody Genius was no different. The humor in this series makes it lighter fare, which is always fun to read. Flowers is hilarious but is also a first-rate investigator, which is definitely required in this book as this particular investigation includes prostitutes, students, crooked lawyers, a CEO of an up and coming company, scam artists, and the victim's past wives. Whew!

I very much
Skip
With the Minneapolis PD investigation into the murder of wealthy, politically-connected university professor (Barthelemy Quill) going nowhere, the governor asks Virgil (that fucking) Flowers from the state's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to help. Facing obvious resentment from the local detective sergeant (Maggie Trane), he slowly wins her over with his easy going, I don't want the credit attitude, especially when he begins to find overlooked clues. With ex-wives, a slacker daughter with a ...more
Donna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! The book begins with an exciting first chapter. Professor Barthelemy Quill died in the darkened library carrel at midnight -- killed after being bashed over the head with his laptop computer as he came upon an intruder. Quill was wealthy but not well liked and there's a plethora of suspects -- 2 ex-wives, person who filed a lawsuit, his own research staff, current estranged wife, slacker daughter, and participants in an academic feud. After 2 weeks, the police have no suspects and ...more
CoachJim
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
Bloody Genius
by John Sandford

I suppose like most people, I read different genres for different reasons. I enjoy reading History and Biography to learn about times and people. I read Historical Fiction to satisfy some intellectual curiosity, but good mysteries are just pure enjoyment.

Most of John Sandford stories take place in the Twin Cities in Minnesota where I have lived for most of my life. Reading about events that happen in places you are familiar with adds enjoyment to the story.

Virgil
Randal White
Another fantastic book by Sandford! How does he keep putting out these incredible page-turners?
This one is another story in the Virgil Flower's timeline. A murder in the library of the University of Minnesota. An initial dearth of suspects, giving way to the Sandford technique of finding lots of suspects. Which Flowers has to weed through, one by one. And in the end, managing to surprise the reader with the identity of the killer.
I've come to love these books. Not for any amazing detective
MicheleReader
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable yet somehow Bloody Genius did not quite live up to my high expectations. The case was interesting but the overall story did not keep me as riveted as I had hoped. Virgil remains a fun character so I look forward to the next book in the series.
Lori
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Virgil Flowers is mixed up again in murder that winds up all over the place, as he usually is and it's complicated and fun. I have a fear here about Flowers though and that's" run with it," when you read it you'll understand.
Kay
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun to read a Virgil Flowers novel. I love it all except the perp in the end felt too convenient.
Donna Hines
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
College culture turned deadly!! It's up to Virgil to figure out who on this college campus is nuts v who is pure psychotic as a killer.
Normally intellectual individuals can agree to disagree in proving their points but in this case it turns deadly and there's no turning back.
For me there was too many subplots with too many characters and it made me lose interest which became muddied with the main story line around the midway point.
Thank you to the publisher and John Sandford for this ARC in
Erin Glaser
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
As someone who's read every book John Sandford has written, I'm actually angry at how terrible this one is. The pacing is abysmal, which I get; its hard to maintain a solid pace when literally nothing happens in the entire book. The character work is lazy and insulting, frankly; Virgil comes off as annoyingly hokey with too many try-hard quips, and enough with the boots and stupid tee-shirts, already, we get it.

Sandford's female characters could've stepped out of a Stuart Woods novel in 1991:
Albert Riehle
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great addition to what I affectionately like to call the That Fuckin' Flowers Series. In the days prior to this book being released I read a review that compared this series to the Lucas Davenport/Prey Series and came to the conclusion that while the Prey Series leaned more in the direction of Thriller, the Flowers Series leaned a bit more in the direction of Mystery and that is definitely in evidence in this installment.

I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't, but if you keep your
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
I am able to remember a time when there were no Virgil Flowers novels. So I was caught just a bit off-guard when I realized that this newly published book is the 12th in the series featuring a character developed in the even longer running Lucas Davenport canon (and yes, I can remember a time when those books did not exist either). We are richer intellectually for both series, particularly for BLOODY GENIUS, which is one of John Sandford’s better works.

Yes, I am aware that I just made quite a
Steven Zacharius
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Sanford book. This was a mystery; a whodunnit kind of mystery. Although Virgil Flowers is always a fun character to read, I just felt that something was missing with this entire storyline. It's about a professor who is killed in a private study area and trying to figure out how killed him.
Mal Warwick
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Virgil Flowers is growing up. In times past, you could always depend on Virgil jumping into bed with the prettiest suspect in his current case. You wouldn't get upset with the man, because that was just . . . well, Virgil being Virgil. Which is to say, a bundle of contradictions. You'll typically find him wearing jeans, cowboy boots, and a T-shirt from a vintage rock band. And that might mislead you into thinking he's a trifle on the dim side. Which is reinforced when you hear him sharing ...more
Debbi
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 12th novel in the Virgil Flowers series It was another great read. John Sandford does a great job of weaving a story with great plot twists. Being familiar with the Midwest, I really enjoy this series. I’m also looking forward to Virgil’s life changing and what he might decide to do in the future. Keep up the good work. Well done!
Play Book Tag: Bloody Genius by John Sandford - 4 stars 1 10 Oct 16, 2019 02:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: Title has been released 2 22 Feb 26, 2019 07:11AM

• The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Guardians
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole, #18; Joe Pike, #7)
  • Stealth (Stone Barrington, #51)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Bitterest Pill (Jesse Stone, #18)
  • Sins of the Fathers (J.P. Beaumont #24)
  • The Deserter (Scott Brodie & Maggie Taylor)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • The Bitterroots (Cassie Dewell, #4)
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes (Spenser, #47)
  • Killer Instinct (Instinct #2)
  • One Good Deed
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • Contraband (Stone Barringto,n #50)