Start by marking “The Golden Acorn” as Want to Read:
The Golden Acorn

The Golden Acorn

Description: Whoosh! Squirrel takes off at full speed through the autumn leaves. But pump the breaks, because this year The Golden Nut Hunt race it is a team event. Squirrel reluctantly enlists his friends and is not impressed. Will Squirrel's competitive spirit take over or will he learn how to be a team player? Best-selling author Katy Hudson (Too Many Carrots and A Loud ...more
Published July 1st 2019 by Capstone

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Acorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Acorn

Schizanthus
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
When Squirrel learns that the Golden Acorn Hunt is going to be a team event this year she’s not happy. Squirrel has won the competition for the past eight years and wants to add another trophy to her collection. Beaver, Rabbit, Tortoise and Bird eagerly join her team but Squirrel doesn’t think her friends will be fast enough to win. The day of the race arrives and Squirrel finds herself in a position where she needs to decide what is more important to her: winning or her friends.

I adored Katy H
Michelle
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Capstone and Netgalley for making this book available to read so I could provide an honest review.

As soon as I saw Katy Hudson had released a new book I jumped at the chance to read it. My daughter and I love "The Long Winter's Nap" and I couldn't wait to show her this new adventure!

Squirrel is consistently the champion of the Golden Acorn contest and has the trophies to prove it. This year there is a twist! Squirrel must be part of a team in order to win. What ensues is a delightf
Lel Budge
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a lovely, fun read showing the importance of friendship and teamwork for us all. It’s aimed at children of approximately ages 3-6. The illustrations are so charming and has gorgeous animals with lots of energy.

Its a lovely, cute story, to show that winning isn't everything in this wonderful picture book about friendship and teamwork.

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for free in exchange for a fair and honest review
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Being a teacher, and a wife of a slo-pitch player, I saw more than my share of competitive people. It always bothered me and this is a great book to combat that in young people. Squirrel is super competitive. He has won the Golden Acorn race for years running and proudly displays all his trophies. When they change the rules and make it a team event. he is not happy. His team is made up of his friends, a rabbit, a turtle, a beaver, and a bluebird. When the race begins, he races ahead and leaves t ...more
Etienne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has amazing illustrations are in rich golden tons that make it look very good. Unfortunately, the story, even if I respect the message, is aboard in a very cheesy way and just a big lack of originality. I still gave it a good rating for the message and illustration... but the story could have been better and make it a perfect book!
Genevieve Trono
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the Golden Acorn with our six year old and it was a great conversation starter about teamwork and friendship. Squirrel is the reigning champion of the Golden Acorn contest. Squirrel is highly competitive and is disappointed when she finds out that she needs to work as a team for this year's annual contest.

During the event Squirrel at first feels slowed down by her teammates but realizes over the course of the contest that friendship means so much more than a trophy ever could. This is a
I have noticed a trend in books for children, about friendship, that also deals with competitiveness. One recently was about a horse that had to compete with others as a team. And in this book, the Squirel has to compete with others in a team.

I suppose this is to teach the importance of team playing. But, I don't thini it is necessary to bop us over the head with it.

The pictures are bright and colorful, at least, and the story idea is good, but the execution left me a little flat. Yes, it is goo
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
The Golden Acorn is a sweet book with adorable illustrations of forest animals. Squirrel is a competitive little racer who keeps a trophy collection from all the many races she has won. But the Golden Acorn race has a new twist this year - only TEAMS will be allowed! Squirrel is put out, but rounds up her friends anyway. But on race day, will she be able to remember that the whole team has to work together?

This is a cute picture book for young children, and the pastel colored illustrations reall
Vippi
The stunning illustrations are the highlights of this book.
However, the story, despite its valuable message, did not impress me much. Especially the second part felt a bit rushed and not emotionally-engaging enough for a child.

~ Thank you Netgalley for this eARC ~
Helen Ishmurzin
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Squirrel is the fastest animal in the wood. She even has shelves upon shelves of trophies to prove it. Above all she’s proud of the trophies that she was awarded for winning the annual Golden Acorn Hunt eight years in a row. But this year, the rules have changed: The Golden Acorn Hunt is now a team event!

With no time to find anyone even remotely as fast as her, Squirrel has to team up with her friends – Rabbit, Beaver, Bird and Tortoise. Again and again Squirrel’s friends hold her back as they s
Debbie Smith
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover is attractive, but it doesn’t end there. Each page is so much fun with just enough detail to make it interesting and humorous. And the animals . . . what can I say? The animals’ expressions convey so much that I couldn’t keep from smiling.

But enough, on to the story.

Squirrel has managed to win the Great Acorn Hunt for the last 8 years. But something totally awful has happened. The rules have changed. The race is now a team competition. Ugh. What’s a squirrel to do?

Well, Squirrel does a
Myndi
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Original review can be found on my blog: Mad Book Love

The illustrations are fabulous! Warm and inviting, and oh so charming! I adored all the little details. And woodland creatures are a favorite of mine, squirrels coming rather high up the list, so…this book was kind of a no brainer for me from the beginning.

As for the story itself, Squirrel is used to winning The Golden Acorn competition, having done so for the past eight years. But this year, the contest rules have changed, and he has to part
Terrie Case
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book – both in story and illustrations.

Squirrel likes to run races and WIN. This year the race for the golden acorn has new rules. Everyone must run as a team. Squirrel is not happy because he knows his friends will slow him down and they do. Squirrel is irritated with Turtle, Beaver and Rabbit. When Squirrel finds the golden acorn, will he continue running ahead having left his friends in the dust or will friendship win out over material things?

This is a great lesson on friends
Becky B
Squirrel is a champion, and she has the trophies to prove it. She’s the fastest one in the land, and she’s got a spot cleared for the next Golden Acorn Hunt trophy. But then they announce that this year’s Golden Acorn Hunt is a team event. Squirrel doesn’t have time to find a team, so she recruits her friends, gives them a quick training, and then it is the day of the hunt. Will Squirrel’s friends just weigh her down, can she just do things without them, or does she have something important to l ...more
Jo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Squirrel is the fastest creature in the forest and has trophies and certificates lining her walls to prove it. She has won the a golden acorn hunt for many years and plans to do the same again this year, when a rule change is announced saying you must compete with a team, squirrel is concerned, is there time for enough training to make her friends as fast as she is, when the day of the hunt arrives, will squirrel stick with her team, or will the temptation to win be too great?
This was a lovely s
Maria Marshall
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
Every year, Squirrel excitedly trains for The Golden Acorn Hunt. And every year, for the past eight years, she wins. This year, however, she discovers the race has to be run as a team. But no one can race like she can! With the race the next day, Squirrel grudgingly agrees to her friends Beaver, Turtle, Rabbit, and Bird as her teammates.
However, no amount of training would have this motley crew ready to race through the treetops. Though her friends wholeheartedly try to help, Squirrel suffers, d
Pam
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an electronic ARC from Capstone through NetGalley.
A story about working as a team and placing friendship above winning. The illustrations are realistic and support the text. The story is easy to follow. Would make a terrific read aloud.
Squirrel is the fastest animal and has won many trophies for speed. The prized one is The Golden Acorn. She's won it for the last eight years. The rules changed this year and animals have to work as a team to win. She's frustrated as she knows her frien
Wayne McCoy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'The Golden Acorn' with words and pictures by Katy Hudson is about the importance of winning, and things that are even more important.

Squirrel is a winner. He has won the last 8 Golden Acorn competitions and already has a space cleared for this year's trophy. Squirrel finds out the rules have changed and it's now a team event. The event starts and Squirrel runs ahead, but his team lags behind. Will Squirrel win the trophy or will Squirrel win some wisdom about what's really important?

The story i
Melissa
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Squirrel is uber-competitive, and has won the Golden Acorn race for years running, when they change the rules and make it a team event. Gathering his ragtag group of friends (rabbit, turtle, beaver, and bluebird), he races ahead and leaves them in the dust thinking he doesn't need them to win. Of course, he sees the error of his ways partway through the race and goes back - everything is more fun with friends that alone, and friends always come first! A great message for children (especially tho ...more
Sara Magnafichi
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
thank you to Capstone Publishing for providing #Collabookation a copy of this story. I am a huge fan of Katy Hudson's books, including A Loud Winter's Nap, and as always this book does not disappoint. What a great story about friendship and working together! Squirrel is the fastest animal in the forest and has won the golden acorn contest year after year, but this year there is a change in the rules! She can no longer work alone, but must compete as a team! Squirrel quickly learns the lesson tha ...more
Bridget
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Golden Acorn is a gorgeous book with adorable illustrations of forest animals. Squirrel has collected lots of trophies from the many races she has won. But the Golden Acorn race has a new theme this year - only teams can enter the race! Squirrel isn't happy but rallies her friends anyway. Will squirrel and the other animals be able to work together?

This is a cute and whimsical picture book for young children and the beautiful illustrations really complement the woodland setting. My favourite
Vonda
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations in this book are lively and fun. It’s enjoyable to see squirrel racing around, his fur a-flying!

Squirrel is an excellent athlete who has won many awards and races. He is looking forward to this year’s competition as usual. The only problem is that the rules have changed. They are no longer racing as individuals, they are required to race as teams. Will squirrel have the patience to work with those who have different capabilities and speeds?

The book shares excellent universal th
Jessica
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A beautifully illustrated story about the importance of friendship. Squirrel had always won first place in the Golden Acorn Hunt but this year the hunt was going to be a team competition. Will her desire to win make her lose site of what's important? Perfect for 3-6 year olds, especially if they have a competitive streak!

Thank you to Katy Hudson, Capstone and NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Kristina
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful!! The illustrations are wonderful and very detailed which will provide additional humor for any adult reading it to a little one. The story teaches teamwork, helping others, and that there are things more important than personal pride. I highly recommend this book for any young child in your life.

I was provided a free digital ARC copy from NetGalley for my honest and unbiased opinion.
Juliana Lee
Squirrel is the fastest animal in the forest and is eagerly awaiting this years Golden Acorn contest. He's sure to win his eighth trophy until he finds out about a new rule requiring everyone to work as a team. Squirrel's friends aren't fast, but they are his friends. So when they get stuck, lost, or can't keep up, Squirrel has to abandon the race to help them. Squirrel doesn't get the Golden Acorn, but he does have friends.
Samantha Fraenkel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute story about the importance of friendship and how there really isn't an "I' in team. I loved the illustrations with all the little details and the fun, playful animals. The illustrations I felt were a bit stronger than the story itself but I think kids would still really enjoy it and it is a good message overall.

ARC Provided by NetGalley
Jamie
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
*I received an e-galley from Netgalley in return for an honest review.*
Cute picture book about Squirrel, who is the fast animal in the forest and wins the Golden Acorn every year. But this year the rules have changes and she has to work with a team. Her friends volunteer, but will they be fast enough to win?
Sandy Brehl
Squirrel is the running-champ of the forest. He'd be the first to tell you that, or invite you into his home to view the countless awards and trophies won over his short life.
The clever twist that REQUIRES him to compete with a team sets up the satisfying ( but slightly abrupt) conclusion. Squirrel makes a tough decision but does not second guess what matters most.
Theediscerning
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
First prize in life doesn't have to be something material - perhaps the best things to win are friendships. This simple moral is conveyed well in this visually attractive and lively read for the very young. A lovely presentation, but I didn't think the moral was completely well portrayed, nor in fact entirely convincing.
Sinead
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you Netgalley for my review copy of this book.

This is a delightful, fun children's book - perfect for cuddling up with your child and reading aloud. It flows really nicely and the pictures are beautiful and cute. Lovely children's read
« previous 1 3 next »
Katy Hudson won the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Best Book Award Gold in 2014 for her illustrations in the book Animal Teachers. Her debut picture book, Bear and Duck, received strong reviews, including a starred review from Kirkus. Katy is the author of the best-selling picture books Too Many Carrots and A Loud Winter's Nap, which both received numerous positive reviews. Katy lives in London.

From Goog