Start by marking “They Call Me the Cat Lady” as Want to Read:
They Call Me the Cat Lady

They Call Me the Cat Lady

You’ve seen me on the street. You’ve walked past my house, and pointed, and wondered. The cat lady. All on my own, with only my five cats to keep me company. Did no-one ever tell you that you can’t judge a book by its cover?

Everyone in town knows Nancy Jones. She loves her cats. She loves her tumbledown house by the sea. She loves her job in the local school where she trie
Published April 26th 2019 by Bookouture

Start your review of They Call Me the Cat Lady
Amalia Gkavea
The story involved Britain, a teacher, and cats. Lots of cats. I couldn't have been more enthusiastic when I started this book. The first few chapters were very interesting, the ''voice'' of the main character was warm and sympathetic, the writing seemed to flow. And then, everything went downhill.

Cliches. Lots of cliches. More cliches than I can count, more cliches than in a horrible soap opera for people whose mind has turned to jelly. The hasty marriage, the suspicious husband, the predictab
Christopher
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
Nancy Jones is known as the local cat lady, and it’s not always meant kindly. Though she has a habit of rescuing felines in need of a bit of care, most humans find her distant. But Nancy has secrets and, after a chance encounter with her past while cat sitting, they threaten to come tumbling out … but to fully tell her story, she just might have to let others in.

Much like a hesitant cat, Nancy Jones is irresistible. Troubled by a past marred by hurt and catastrophe, she’s cloistered herself in a
Jayme
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
AVAILABLE NOW and $2.99 0n Amazon today!

“ Questions. People couldn’t resist. They always wanted to know why there wasn’t a man, or any children, in her life. Just cats.”

Ted. Elise. William. Tabitha. Bea.

These are the cats that Nancy Jones shares her tumbledown house by the sea with. They are named after people that Nancy has loved and lost. SHE LIKES SPEAKING THEIR NAMES ALOUD.

Erin
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
Thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital galley in exchange for an honest review.

This literary fiction novel reeled me in just by its title. A lifetime devotee to the four legged feline, my cats Rosie and Anotinette just begged me to request this arc. Well, actually, that isn't true, reading sometimes distracts from massages and feeding time. Whatever ! School volunteer, Nancy Jones, lives with 5 cats and while many around Nancy have a tendency to reduce her to "cat lady," she is actu
Mackey
I assumed that this book by Amy Miller would be nothing more than good comedy or, at best, a Rom-Com. I couldn’t have been more wrong. They Call Me The Crazy Lady snuck up on me and grabbed me and did not let me go. It is an emotional, uplifting, hopeful book about letting go of the past, making changes and moving forward. I laughed, I cried and I was angry at times but in the end I was incredibly happy with the way everything worked out for everyone. The story is beautifully written, the charac ...more
Carolyn
Nancy Jones is the cat lady. Living a small life, alone with her five cats in a run down house, working part time at a local school. Tragedy in her past has left her drained and reserved, but she has a kind, loving heart and loves her rescue cats who are all named after those she has loved and lost. She also cares for the children at the school, especially the downtrodden ones who don't fit in. One day her past and present collide when she goes to a house where she is feeding the cat while the o ...more
The Captain
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: misc
Ahoy there me mateys!  Though this log’s focus is on sci-fi, fantasy, and young adult, this Captain does have broader reading tastes. So occasionally I will share some novels that I enjoyed that are off the charts (a non sci-fi, fantasy, or young adult novel), as it were. I received this literary eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  So here be me honest musings . . .

This novel caught me eye because of the title.  It is not in me usual genres but me ship holds three feline cohor
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
Put up with what you can’t change and change what you can’t put up with.

I loved this book and everything it had to offer. It is a profound book that gave insight and and meaning to behaviour and social norms that we often don't think about, but should. I think most people can relate to Nancy's character and as we follow with her though her own personal journey. The book touches on the topic of loneliness in a deep yet lighthearted way and is one of the best books I have read in awhile.

Do
Mary S. R.
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, contemporary, lgbt
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the publisher, Bookouture!

A new literary women's fiction I need to read ASAP!
Shalini
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone has a story, everyone has a past. We all have the pain which we hide deep in our hearts, not having the courage to unlock that. Such was the curious case of Nancy Jones, and this book was her journey through life, facing the biggest heartache that no mother should ever have to undergo.

This was quite an unexpected read. I took me two tries to get into this book. The beginning was slow, but once I got to know Nancy Jones, then believe me, this story touched all the chords of my emotions.
Ruthy lavin
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written book which very cleverly covers the sensitive subjects of mental health, bereavement, pre-judging people and so much more.
It is subtle, smart, mildly humorous in a very British way, ballsy, feel good ..... and I loved it.
4.5 stars 🌟
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Nancy is a wonderfully charming character who I loved as soon as I met her. I think she is a prime example of how people can be quick to judge and how nice it would be if everyone took time out of their busy lives to get to know their neighbours/work colleagues better.

The story involves a variety of different topics but mainly grief and bullying. Due to an incident in Nancy’s past, she has become a bit of a recluse keeping herself to herself and exists for the love of her cats which seem to grow
The Cats’ Mother
How could I not read this book?! I was actually worried I’d be disappointed - since the huge international success of Eleanor Oliphant and A Man Called Ove, it was inevitable that we would see a lot more books about lonely oddballs rediscovering life, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’d be any good.
As a Non-Crazy Cat Lady, (I only have 3 cats and a husband) I was drawn to this, and am happy to report that this is a wholesome feel-good read with a likeable heroine, and that you don’t even ha
Lisa Aiello
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: womens-fiction
4.5 Stars - I absolutely loved this story. I grabbed my blankie, hunkered down, and curled up within the pages. The story is about Nancy, a quiet, somewhat lonely woman, who lives a safe and simple life with her five cats, who she has named for important people in her life. We are told the story of how Nancy got to this point and of all the people her cats were named for, plus a few other people that play a significant role. Trust me when I say that I am Nancy, minus four of the cats and add one ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
This is a charming, gentle read about a woman who has lived through many of life's tragic events and has found solace within her small, insular world with a gaggle of felines she calls family.

While I didn't find it quite the emotional punch that the blurb describes, it does have an interesting main character that readers can root for as well as a diverse group of secondary characters to round out the cast. The author smoothly introduces bigger issues into the plot, I enjoyed how the life events
Madeline
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
At first I wasn’t sure if I wanted to continue reading this story.

But, I am happy that I did.

They call me a Cat Lady is a great yarn.

I loved the ending as it was tied up quite nicely.

Kim
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I figured this was going to be a light read but it totally was not. This was a very emotional story but all of the characters worked well and I enjoyed reading about Nancy and her life.

Definitely not a feel good read throughout but the ending was simply lovely. There are some small flaws and some strange references for the time frames but I can discount those because the overall tale worked so well.

I'm going to try some more books by this author in the future.

My copy was provided by NetGalley an
Jayme
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Ted. Elise. William. Tabitha. Bea.

Although she enjoys her job at the local school, she mostly keeps to herself. But, all of the neighbors know that if you are going away and need someone to f
Sara Jovanovic
Apr 28, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 26%

Unfortunately, not only I didn't manage to complete the first ARC I ever received before its publication date, but I didn't manage to complete it at all. There weren't many problems I had with this book, but at the end I just couldn't force myself through this.

The book starts of solid, introducing readers to the main character's life. Nancy lives quietly, surrounded by her beloved cats and avoiding company of other people. As the book progresses, events that lead her to this lifestyle s
Els
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A devastating incident can turn your world upside down. It can have such an impact that you build walls around you and you only find solace in taking care of cats and people in need.

You think you are safe in your little shell but suddenly the past you tried so hard to put behind you is thrown in your face when you least expected it.

On the one hand you live through all the pain yet again. On the other hand it might be the start to full recovery.

The author takes us back in time so we can find out
Renita D'Silva
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, heartbreaking, heartwarming treat of a book! Loved this from start to finish! Did not want it to end! A brilliant story, one that will stay with me. Very highly recommended to everyone!
Sam
Apr 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-s-read
TW: Attempted Suicide (graphic), Drug Use, Child Death, Bullying, Mental Health Facilities (not particularly well written)
Bechdel Test: Yes

As soon as I saw the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. I love cats and I'm not ashamed to say that I'm somewhat of a cat lady

"After calling goodbye and blowing kisses to each of her five cats, she left for work."

Nancy started of very endearing and relatable to me A woman who is battling some demons from the past which has her isolate herself from
Ayunda
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I think I speak for a lot of other people who picked up this book because of the title and the premise of the book. This sounded in the blurb like a cozy, heartwarming story about a woman who loves cats, have insecurities and would rather spend her free time with her cats than her friends. I love cats, and I'm a huge introvert, so this resonates deeply with me.

It turned out to be much more than that. We begin with Nancy, a very reserved woman who lives with her many cats (whom she named after he
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not sure how but I managed to read this in a couple of short hours, I just couldn't put it down, nor was I particularly aware of the outside world while I was reading it.

Although I had read a few of Amy Millers books years ago when she was writing as Amy Bratley, I haven't read one for ages, but apparently the author is as absorbing as ever for me. I love her writing style and ability to tell a story.

That being said I had no idea what to expect from this book, and I loved getting to know Nancy
Jantine
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
'They Call Me the Cat Lady' is a book I loved reading. I think the characters were great, and often not exactly what I expected them to be when I started reading - although there are exceptions like mr. Loveday, who was an a*hole all along.

This book does not shy away from the more difficult subjects of life. It is not the light reading I expected, but it turned out to be exactly what I needed to read. It is just like life does, it throws things and situations in your lap that make that you have
Nicola Southall
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read by Amy Miller it won’t be the last.
I wasn’t sure what this book was going to be about as the blurb doesn’t give much away (I love this fact) I was drawn to it as I’m a bit of a cat lady myself.
It was a little slow at the beginning to get into but once I had got into the characters the story really picked up and I didn’t know what was going to happen next.
A heart warming emotional story that made me laugh and cry.
So true too that we really don’t know what’s go
Clair
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
They Call Me The Cat Lady is such a heartwarming read which I couldn’t put down. Nancy Jones is a closed book, nice enough but quickly forgotten, dismissed as a bit of a strange character. Nancy doesn’t open up to anyone so nobody really knows her so she inadvertently leads quite a lonely life…other than the company of her cats! What we do know about Nancy is that she works in a school and has formed relationships with her co-workers but keeps a distance from them – its clear that she doesn’t wa ...more
Alexandra WhimsyPages
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-2019
In «They Call Me the Cat Lady» we follow Nancy Jones, the lonely local woman, who works at school, lives alone in her small house with five cats which she names after the people that sometimes meant something to her, the people she misses: Ted, Elise, William, Tabitha and Bea.

Nancy is the local cat lady, someone who the neighbours can reach out to when they need an “animal-sitter”, or to whom they will take the stray kittens. But she is also known to be the “odd-one”. She keeps to herself, s
TracieB♠️
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-netgalley
Started this early this morning and didn’t stop until I finished! A beauty of a book!

Amy Miller has a lovely writing style that sucks you right in and engages you with each character, I just loved Nancy and her caring ways, what she had been through made me tear up on many occasions yet the book still had this amazing uplifting presence about it.

Heartwarming and beautiful!

Fabulous story and definitely worthy of more than 5 stars!
Barbro-Katrin
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This was so not what I expected. I expected a story about a cat lady with way to many cats who perhaps met a young person who changed her. But this is so much more than that. What happened in her past has changed her, but this story tells you that it’s not too late to change again, for the better. You just have to find the right time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Day My Husband Left
  • The Silver Ladies of Penny Lane
  • Dear Lily
  • Needlemouse
  • Finding Henry Applebee
  • Aunt Ivy's Cottage (Dune Island, #2)
  • The Two Hearts of Eliza Bloom
  • Summer at Hope Haven (Dune Island, #1)
  • 59 Memory Lane
  • The Wish List of Albie Young
  • The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • The Little Lies
  • Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • The Cottage of Curiosities (Pengelly Series, Book 2)
Amy Miller is a pseudonym of author Amy Bratley. ...more