Start by marking “Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)” as Want to Read:
Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires)

Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires #1-2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  12,022 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
In Pandora, fledgling vampire David Talbot chronicles the history of Pandora, a two-thousand-year-old vampire, and in fifteenth-century Renaissance Florence, Vittorio finds his world shattered when his entire family is destroyed in an act of unholy violence and embarks on a desperate quest for revenge, in Vittorio, the Vampire, in an omnibus edition.

From the Trade Paperbac
Published May 25th 2011 by Ballantine Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pandora / Vittorio the Vampire

April
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: recyclables
(Review of Vittorio the Vampire):
Disappointing. Though hardly the majority’s favourite, I was still eager to read one of Rice’s ‘new tales of the Vampires series,’ having a curious interest in where she would go with the characters and, suffice to say, holding little enthusiasm regarding Pandora’s release – inadvertently making Vittorio a best bet.

In short? Quite dull. I drifted seamlessly through the story with faint interest in what was going on. I’m (what appears to be) in the minority of lon
Sherry
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When this book came out in 1998 I was distracted by family issues and moving. I purchased it because I have always been a huge Rice fan but never got around to finishing it.

Well I'm glad I did. Pandora, the vampire made by Marius (his first) reads like a true historical chronicle and has an aged tone and authenticity which I loved in Blood and Gold. This book, along with Armand round out the image and character of Marius while showing us that more women than Maharet and her Jessica are potent an
Melissa ownsbey
Dec 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
i was so excited when i got the book then started reading and i gave up
it just couldnt hold my attentoin and it was boring to me
Eliza
Apr 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I finished Pandora but could not face more than a few pages of Vittorio. Yes, Pandora was a likable and interesting character but not enough to carry a book of this length. Many times I felt like I was just forcing myself to keep reading. I would have said this was good (but still too long for the amount of actual plot contained) if it had been fan fiction. I do not recommend this at all.
Katie
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
These two stories were ok. They would have been shorter if Rice didn't go off on history speels. I pretty much skimmed over those parts because they were dry and boring. I do not really remember Vittorio in The Vampire Chronicles but he had a more interesting story than Pandora, to me at least.
Liza
Jun 30, 2009 added it
Pandora was just a huge rehashing of the character Marius. It was a trip down memory lane for any QotD readers. Vittorio lost me a bit.
Jennifer Melzer
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
About twenty-five pages into this book I remembered why I stopped reading Anne Rice. The constant repetition severely muddles what might be beautifully written prose--if only I could find it.
Maja Shinigami
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, prose, favorites
Never trust a bunny.
Caroline Åsgård
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
2017 reread: I really loved Pandora, as I did the last time.
Though this time around, Vittorio The Vampire was a little more boring to me than it was the last time. That's why I spent quite a while on it this time. It could have been better.
Ayda Razak
I finished Pandora but could only finished a few pages of Vittorio. Pandora was a very strong character. It was an interesting story but it should not be this long.
Stephanie O'Hanlon
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reading and Living
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it

Tarde una eternidad para leer este libro, y es que como muchos saben, la fantasía y yo no nos llevamos bien pero decidí animarme a leer este libro ya que mi amiga Ro me lo había prestado.

Esta es una historia muy bien ambientada, con una trama sencilla y un montón de emociones a flor de piel por parte Vittorio. La historia se desarrolla en la Florencia de los Medicci, por eso hay bastante detalles de religión y mucho estilo medieval.

Este libro narra la historia de un joven culto y con profundo se
Carterb
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I have already finished pandora, I finished it long ago, and liked the solved mystery that is the beautiful blood goddess portrayed in other Anne rice books, and now unto vittorio the vampire what does one say so far when nearing the second half of his story that it is tragic yes, but probably more tragic then the other stories of Anne rice so far losing everything at such a young age as vittorio, and by everything I mean everything the mysteries of what is to come, the forbidden love of the wom ...more
Alison
Oct 22, 2015 added it
Shelves: supernatural
I read the Pandora segment (the book I read actually only had Pandora's story) and I took interest in it initially, but as the story dragged on toward the middle/ end I couldn't quite keep my focus while reading. Pandora's fall into madness during her years as a human that subsequently continued on into her fledgling stages of a vampire became a chore to read though. Okay, I get it, she's crazy, a fanatic, obsessive. Then the story kind of swoops into its ending stages (kind of like stepping off ...more
Caroline Åsgård
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at my parents' house, and as much as I love vampires and Anne Rice, I HAD to read it!

PANDORA
I can't comprehend how talented Anne Rice is. I don't have much to say, but Pandora / Lydia's story was just truly amazing. Very detailed in most of the aspects I like. Strong female character, history, the supernatural... What more can a goth girl ask for?

VITTORIO
I have to admit I didn't love this story as much as Pandora, but it was good nonetheless. Vittorio is a 16 year old living in
Ta-Tanisha
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction
Pandora was excellently written and gave me a glimpse of the Roman Empire I so love. I am having a little bit of difficulty finishing Vittorio, the Vampire. It is also well written, but just doesn't seem to catch my attention like Pandora.

Update 11/12/07:

I finished Vittorio and maybe I just misjudge this one. I think this story may be a little better than Pandora because it shows the conflicts between love and hate; passion and indiffence; good and evil.

Rice's descriptions in both books are viv
Sharon
Sep 22, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: hardcore Anne Rice fans only
Shelves: fiction
Not worth the time it takes to buy a copy. Incredibly weak and unbelievable, this is Anne Rice at her worst. I had high hopes when I started reading this, but they were dashed before I was even a quarter way through reading Pandora. I decided to read Vittorio and see if things improved, but it was more of the same trite, contrived and watered down mess as in the previous novel. Do yourself a favor and stay away.
Nur Jalilah
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A good read. It had interesting characters that did come out to life, however, if you are comparing this book with her other Vampire novels, then it's best to not do so. Give this book a chance. It may not be as good as Interview or Queen of the Damned but it's still an enjoyable read. I loved this book mostly because of the time setting. I absolutely ADORED that it was from a really ancient time.
John
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Both stories had so much potential. They definitely could have been more detailed like Interview With the Vampire. I might have felt more sympathy for Pandora or Vittorio if there was more. I recommend the book only if you love Anne Rice's other works. If you have never read Anne Rice this one could stop you from reading some of her better works.
Jess
May 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, fiction
Still trying to figure out the real point of this novel. I struggled to really grasp a theme...or engaging plot. Pandora promises to tell her story but as a narrator, she limits the tale to a few key events told in detail without emotion. There is no way for audience to access any emotional subtext, leaving this novel flat and not just a little dull.
Lexy Ray
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
this is my favorite Anne rice vampire novel next to Blood and Gold the story of Marius. Pandora brings the female element into the classic vampire like story AND takes the story through love, immortality and classic female vs male personality that makes you have to want more. i love this story and every story that attached my beloved Pandora to it. it was awesome and i cant wait for more.
Rose
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked these books in the style of Anne Rice, although I can't say they really stood out much in comparison to her earlier vampire works. Entertaining if you like her style. Probably not missing much if you don't.
Louise Carlson Stowell
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire
I loved this story! The character of Pandora showed more emotion that I could identify with than any of the other vampires of Anne's. When she is sitting writing in the café was very powerful. I think this one is my favorite of all of her books. Beautiful!
Steph
Sep 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked the book. The Pandora part was a good placement of that timeframe. It read slow but nice. The Vittorio part started bad. I didn't like it, but suddenly it turned and became an interresting story with some speed.
Tracym
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was a wonderful book love the base of this story and the characters it was one of Anne's books that I did not want to put down. I love Pandora and her struggle to continue on for so many years yerning and wanting what was out of reach
Hannah
Aug 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Not my Favorite from Rice, but not bad. The first chapter was kind of boring, then it got interesting for a while. Then the end was kind of a recap of Marius story. Still a good story, really like Pandora. This is a review of just Pandora, not Vittorio. I am listning to that next!
Lori Anderson
Oct 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the books, but wasn't wowed by either one of them. Just when I started to feel myself heading into Four Star Land, the tale would either falter or go into way too much esoteric detail. Not bad, but you could give this one a pass and not worry that you'd missed anything.
Yong
Jul 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
apparantly i borrowed the copy that was a condensation of both pandora and vittoro. i actually only read pandora. will read the other soon.

basically i think it's okay. a bit tedious to read, and highly un-engaging. but it's interesting if you grit your teeth. plus it's small on romance. whoos.
Navessa
Mar 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: vampires
Danielle
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love
  • Anne Rice's The Tale of the Body Thief (A Graphic Novel)
  • The Vampire Companion
  • Sleeping Beauty Trilogy: Box Set (Sleeping Beauty, #1-3)
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...
  • In the Shadow of the Vampire: Reflections from the World of Anne Rice
  • Articles on Novels by Anne Rice, Including: The Queen of the Damned, Interview with the Vampire, the Vampire Lestat, the Tale of the Body Thief, Memnoch the Devil, the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, the Vampire Armand, Blackwood Farm
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Vampires
  • Ready & Willing
  • Covenant with the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #1)
  • Anne Rice's Servant of the Bones (Servant of the Bones #1-6)
  • The Palace (Saint-Germain, #2)
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 1: The Man From The Mirror
  • Forever Jesse
  • Kaden's Breeder
  • Mina
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice

New Tales of the Vampires (2 books)
  • Pandora (New Tales of the Vampires, #1)
  • Vittorio, The Vampire (New Tales of the Vampires, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)