Start by marking “Someone Is Lying” as Want to Read:
Someone Is Lying

Someone Is Lying

The chilling new psychological thriller from Jenny Blackhurst, the #1 eBook-bestselling author of HOW I LOST YOU. Full of unexpected twists, this is perfect for fans of FRIEND REQUEST, CLOSE TO HOME, and THE GUILTY WIFE.
One year after Erica Spencer trips and falls down a flight of stairs at a lavish Halloween party, the residents of the exclusive gated community where she

Published May 31st 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Someone Is Lying, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sheri
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Someone Is Lying
Amanda
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A year ago at a neighbours Halloween party Erica is found dead at the bottom of the tree house, police investigated but it was deemed an accidental death or was it?

A year later there is a Facebook message saying someone has Erica’s diary and can prove what happened on that fateful night and will reveal all in weekly pod casts.

Her 6 closest friends named the “Severn Oaks 6” are worried that the podcasts which are to be broadcast will have details about each of them that they are trying to keep se
Richard
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The problem with most teasers they are either too short or bear no reflection on the rest of the book.
Reading a clever prologue and the first five chapters here it seems this taster is about the right length. It also sets the book up and reveals only as much as the blurb that goes with the promotion of this novel.
Someone is Lying is one of a number of recent books where deceit and variants the verb to lie have been used in the title.
Jenny Blackhurst may still be an unfamiliar name to some yet o
The Book Review Café
When I first started reading Someone Is Lying, I must admit I had some reservations, the first few chapters are taking up introducing the reader to an array of characters, so it took me a while to work out who was who. My other reservation concerned the use of podcasts, I’m a huge fan of a certain crime series that uses podcasts to good effect, so I wasn’t convinced Jenny Blackhurst could offer anything new to this style of sharing a story. At this point I should apologise to the author because ...more
Eva
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Blackhurst’s books are always such a treat and I was so excited when Someone Is Lying landed on my doorstep that I threw my entire schedule out of the window so I could start reading this one immediately. It’s a good thing I had no plans for my afternoon because from the very first page I was absolutely hooked and there was no way I was going to put this one down for something pesky like getting dinner on the table.

One year ago, Erica Spencer was found dead at the bottom of a treehouse dur
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The only downside with it took a while for me to realise who was who as there was a lot of different characters and it confused me for a bit about who they were. Other than that it was such a good read. I was really intrigued to find out who the liar was. The idea of having a podcast to tell the truth was really good and made the story even more interesting. It just goes to show that everyone has secrets they don’t want anyone to know. The reveal was really good and i ...more
Liz Barnsley
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

I love a good twisty psychological thriller and this one was brilliant- also involving a podcast which is the thing at the moment and Jenny Blackhurst manages to keep it fresh by focusing very much on character with the podcast episodes anchoring each new revelation.

The setting of an exclusive gated community really plays into the story well, each of the residents seemingly above us all yet all hiding the usual faults and flaws of humanity. Someone called this a twisted Desperate Housewives and
Pauline
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
After the death of Erica from an accident, a post is put on social media saying that she was murdered. Six people are named as possibly being responsible.
These individuals are rich affluent parents of school children who all live in the same community.
What we have here is bored woman who try to keep up with their neighbours and keep hidden what goes on behind closed doors.
Thank you to NetGalley and Headline for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Caroline Mitchell
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, review to follow!
peggy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of this author.
If this is a taste of things to come I can't wait to read it.
Looks like another page turner which will have me hooked and reading late into the night. Hope I don't have to wait too long !!!!!
Hooked from the first page a murder mystery and so much more. I JUST HAD TO KNOW THE TRUTH!!!!! So many secrets and so many lies and a podcast that will bring them all out. The book was well written and draws you in. The characters are well fleshed out and not one of them was
J.M. Hewitt Author
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Someone Lied. I’m always looking forward to a new Jenny Blackhurst and this one certainly didn’t disappoint. A who-dunnit with a cracking cast of characters who, from the outside of their gated community, seem enviously close-knit. Inside the walls it’s a different story, everyone has their secrets and somebody is a liar.
I had to put the book aside at points to dwell on the superb writing skill of the author. I had no clue who was the culprit and I thoroughly enjoyed every single page.
Jenny Bla
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you love stories similar to Big Little Lies, then you are definitely going to love this one!

The story centres around the residents of Seven Oaks. An upper class area which sounded quite idyllic. On the outside, these are all people who are the pillar of the community. What goes on behind closed doors though, will have people thinking differently.

It has a real who-dunn-it vibe going on throughout the story. With a number of suspects, it made for some fun guessing as to who could be behind Eric
Rachel Bridgeman
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: june-2109
After reading,and loving,' The Night She Died' picking this one up was a no brainer!
Here, Jenny builds a compelling tale of suspense and privilege amongst people who do not realise just how lucky they are.

The residents of the exclusive Severn Oaks estate are amongst the elite, they are wealthy, have huge houses, send their children to a thriving public school and are captains in their fields of business.

On the year anniversary of the accidental death of one of their members, at the school picnic
Kelly
Oct 31, 2020 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-me-black
Three chapters in and I'm scratching my head. There are so many characters, all of them are baking school cupcakes, and the cliches are multiplying across the pages. Not for me. ...more
Clair Sharpe
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book begins several months after the events that led to Erica Spencer falling from a tree house and breaking her neck at a lavish Halloween party in an exclusive gated community. Her friends where she lived seem to have come to terms with her death and have moved on with their lives.
Until one day, while they are gathered at a community event, a post on the school’s website announces there will be a podcast to expose what really happened on the night of the accident. Six suspects are named, w
Surbhi Das
I read this book months ago but totally forgot to update my review!

This was just an okay domestic psychological thriller revolving around a murder of a woman named Erica. The plot gets moving when a year after Erica's death a mysterious pod-caster starts revealing the secrets of her neighbors. Which obviously ends up causing a lot of conflict, mistrusts and chaos.

Honestly, I found the writing of this novel particularly hard to get into. Like I said, the plot was okay enough but I honestly, could
Jacqueline Allan
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an arc copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I enjoyed this book. It’s not my usual genre but it’s fast paced storyline kept me interested and intrigued right up until the end.
Vivienne
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
My thanks to Headline for a digital edition via NetGalley of ‘Someone is Lying’ by Jenny Blackhurst in exchange for an honest review. It was published in ebook/audiobook in May 2019 with its paperback edition being published on 14 November.

At a lavish Halloween party the previous year Erica Spencer died after falling from a tree house. The inquest ruled her death an accident and the residents of the exclusive Seven Oaks gated community have begun to move on with their lives.

Then a post appears
Paul
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny Blackhurst is one of those authors that I have come to trust. Every time I pick up one of her books I know that it will keep me glued to the pages from start to finish. So when I came to Someone Is Lying I figured it would be a safe bet.

Blackhurst has once again delivered a cracking book. This time we are swept up into the world of a gated community. With each of the characters appearing to have something to hide from all of the others, it is only a matter of time before this house of c
James
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
A year after Erica Spencer falls to her death from a tree at a Halloween party in the exclusive Cheshire gated community of Severn Oaks, a podcast emerges from nowhere to speculate that rather than a tragic accident, someone amongst her friends and their husbands is guilty of murder. Cheshire has many affluent areas and is known as a place where many a celebrity and premiership footballer opts to live; Severn Oaks is that kind of place and the six are all relatively wealthy, a couple are also fa ...more
Honestmamreader
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title of this book says it all "Someone Is Lying" and boy oh boy are there people lying here.

Think Desperate Housewives, Real Housewives, Big Little Lies and Cluedo add a dash of humour and you have the basis of this book. I loved it.

The story opens with Erica Spencer telling us about a Facebook post that has appeared on the school's page. The post is declaring they know the truth of what happened in a Halloween party in a gated community. Was an accident from a tree house really murder? E
Kat
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well oh well what a deliciously dark novel with a huge dose of acerbic humour this book sure turned out to be real winner.
Lots of suspects with a whole heap of secrets this is a real twister of a ride and you need to keep your wits about you as we are slowly drip fed little snippets of information which just made this book a cut above many other mystery thrillers.
Teasing the reader and following a gripping storyline that keeps you guessing throughout this is so well written by the fabulous Jenn
ReadandRated
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from me

I have loved reading this book - particularly so during our period of lockdown - as it is just like indulging in the juiciest, most fabulous, gossip-fest with your best friends!

Focusing around Erica Spencer who died a year ago - did she fall, was she murdered? - and set in a posh gated community in Cheshire, this story is sublime distraction from all that is going on in the world right now.

Instead, lose yourself in the drama of the Kaplans and their 'friends' in the posh streets o
Chanel Lindsay
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Even though I did end up buying a physical copy of this book, I would still like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review.

The whole plotline of this book was excellent!
A tightly-plotted, fast-paced read full of secrets and lies. There were a lot of characters so I did find myself getting a little confused, but none of them were massively likeable so it was easy to suspect every single one of them. I was constantly guessing, and changing
Heather
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4! The suspense and short chapters kept me reading, which is the highest of compliments considering my attention span the past month. This reminded me a lot of Big Little Lies, but perhaps with characters even less likable. I keep coming back to these cul-de-sac whodunits anytime I don't want to commit to anything heavy. I will definitely be checking out more from this author. ...more
Annette
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the concept of this book, it had lots of suspense plenty of surprising revelations and someone is definitely lying
Louise Mackin
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars
This book dove straight into the action and kept me gripped till the end. I have read and loved all of Jenny Blackhurst's books and this one was no exception. Can't wait til the next one.
Claire
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. Love this author and this was no exception. Didn’t foresee any of the twists and turns which made it even better.
Claire
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline lots of twists and full of interesting characters to love and hate xx
Rhian
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, very twisty and I never knew what was coming. Great read to complete my goodreads challenge.
Elizabeth Larsen
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycho-thriller
I was not expecting those twists and turns!! Very well done book!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Understudy
  • Nie wiesz wszystkiego
  • Nie patrz (Martyna, #2)
  • Little Girl Missing (Detective Rachel Hart #1)
  • Powrót
  • Pokaż mi
  • The Other People
  • The Empty Nest
  • Abduction
  • The Liar's House (Detective Gina Harte, #4)
  • The Quiet Girls (Detective Carrie Flynn, #2)
  • Ghoster
  • On My Life
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • The Secret of Cold Hill (House on Cold Hill, #2)
  • Deceive Me
  • Sfora (Igor Brudny, #2)
  • When I Lost You: Searing police drama that will have you hooked