Start by marking “Fing” as Want to Read:
Fing

Fing

The new children’s book from No. 1 bestselling author David Walliams – a deliciously daft Tall Story of a child who had everything, but still wanted more. Illustrated by artistic genius, Tony Ross.

Meet the Meeks!

Myrtle Meek has everything she could possibly want. But everything isn’t enough. She wants more, more, MORE! When Myrtle declares she wants a FING, there’s only on
Published February 21st 2019 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

Katy Noyes
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Elongated 'World's Worst Child' tale, not a strong Walliams story.

From the first, I had the feeling this was one of the WWC series, expanded. This was the first time my son has bought a Walliams' on day of publication, as he's such a fan of every other by the author (we've only missed out Awful Auntie). It's taken around 10 nights for me to read it to him, and he's enjoyed it.

So this review is not from his perspective - an 8 year old will love this: bum/poo jokes, lots of noises and silly creatu
Alice Husband
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my what can i say, first even david walliams i read and its been thrilling , loved everu bit and im excited to resd more
Sophie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Lives up to its description- an explosively funny tale
Charlie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
love this book
Kelly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this my son. It is very Roald Dahl-esque and was enjoyable, however, it could have been significantly shorter and it felt that he was trying too hard by the end. The constant asterisks throughout the story were also off-putting for me as a reader and for my son as a listener.

I did like the onomatopoeia throughout and it allowed my son to get involved with the reading as well. Overall it is a fun read for parents and kids.
Anu
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Illustrations by Tony Ross.
I am an avid reader of David Walliams books.
I love his sense of humour, brilliant narration and his unique way of storytelling including the funny footnotes
Adventure starts with the parents quest to find Fing for their demanding kid and how it leads them on a terrifying and troublesome journey. I love the peaceful and happy ending. The author takes the readers with his amazing creativity to a different level of imagination.
In this book, I loved the part wher
Saffron
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING
Angie Rhodes
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Well David, you've done it again, had me laughing out loud. Myrtle Meek is anything but meek! she's the horribliest * ( yes it's a word , you can look it up in the Walliamsictionary) meanest little girl in the whole wide world..she makes Veruca Salt positively perfect, and she wants a FING, so her parents have to find one, because you don't say no to Myrtle! Yes I.maybe 54 , but you know, I don't care, every man, woman and child of every age should read David's books, because they make everyday ...more
Janay Brazier
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfectly daft and made me smile. Working in a primary school, I know I will be sharing this book.
Tea
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!

This is David's latest book. and its completely mental. If your familiar with David's World Worst Children and love them. you will adore this. It is based only on one child Myrtle Meek and she is a nightmare child. who's life gets changed for ever after she demands, that she wants a Fing . Her parents both librarians, have no idea what Fing is so they go to the library and look it up in books. They find it and go on adventure to Collect the monster.

This book is classic Davi
Jacqueline Lammin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my daughter every night for the past week. Extremely funny story! We couldn’t wait to read it every night.
Millie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fing was a really good book and I would definable recommended it to any David Walliam fans
Charlie Wileman
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing. David walliams writing techniques really stood out in this particular book.
Dawn Woods
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Read it because it featured a librarian (2) but couldn't wait to finish it. Usual toilet humour and formula although is a moral at the end
Jon Spriggs
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Half an idea for a story, badly executed. "The next Roald Dahl"? Ridiculous. Dahl would have made this 200+ "page" monstrosity of a chapter. Disappointed. ...more
Sally
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got this book on the day it came out, started it that evening and finished it by the next morning. What a lovely, funny story about Fing and Myrtle And Myrtles parents. Highly recommend if you liked Walliam’s other novels or Roald Dahl.
Mia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet the Meeks!
Myrtle Meek has everything she could possibly want. But everything isn't enough. She wants more, more, more! When Myrtle declares she wants a FING, there's only one problem... What is a FING?

Mr and Mrs Meek will do anything to keep their darling daughter happy, even visit the library vaults to delve into the dusty pages of the mysterious Monsterpedia. Their desperate quest leads to the depths of the jungliest jungle where the rarest of creatures can be found.

But will they ever fin
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet Mr. and Mrs. Meek, who are, as their name implies, meek. They have a daughter, Myrtle, who they have never denied anything. From the time Myrtle was an infant, she would raise the roof if she did not get what she wanted. Her parents, being meek and wanting to calm things over, always gave in. Now, Myrtle has become a holy terror and when she announces she wants a fing, her parents are desperate to discover first what it is and then how to procure one. The ending is not quite what one would ...more
Stuey Mac
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was so disappointing. The plot in this book was senseless and lazy, and nothing like his other books. Every third line is some form of onomatopoeia which was totally overused throughout. Walliams is compared to Ronald Dahl all the time, but aside from both being British, writing children’s stories, and having a knack for using invented words that’s where the similarities end. I read this as a read aloud to my class and couldn’t wait to finish it. He will need to pick up how game on the ...more
AD
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rollicking, funny story about two quiet librarians who meet, eventually marry, and have the noisiest baby ever! They can't say no to her, so she quickly grows into a spoiled brat. When she realises she has everything, she demands a "Fing", which sets her parents off on a grand adventure to uncover: a) what a Fing is; b) where they can find one; and c) how to bring one back for their daughter. Kids will love the silliness of this story, and parents will be relieved at the moral: don't be a brat ...more
Helen Langston
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book to my two boys over a few weeks. My eldest (8) quite enjoyed it. My youngest (6) found it scary in parts. Both commented how naughty and rude Myrtle was.

As the reader I find Walliams use of foot notes irritating and it spoils the flow of reading, as when I spot the note at the bottom of the page I end up trying to scan the page to find the asterix, whilst trying to concentrate out what I’m reading to my sons.
Rachel Hurst
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great kids book but a little over descriptive in parts for me (as an adult reader). My son loved this book (9 years old) and this is his target audience (childrens book) hence my 4 star rating. Well done again Mr Walliams 😁
Kelly Boyd
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shorter than most of David's stories but still enjoyed it.
Found Myrtle incredibly annoying and her parents more so for putting up with it.
Not in my top 5 Walliams books but gets a solid thumbs up
Christine
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Younger readers will enjoy this book. Ridiculous and silly, I skim read a lot of it. Found the parents pandering to the awful child really frustrating. But I am not the age group this book is aimed at. (Loved the Boy in the Dress and Grandpa's Great Escape).
Julie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to read this in one sitting. Not as good or as long as The Ice Monster. Maybe I'm reading this from a parent point of view but what a spoilt child. Too much and off putting but I stuck with it.
Alison Condliffe
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: classroom-books
Great drawings by Tony Ross which make the book but characters needed more development, they were awful and irritating. I wanted to like the poor suffering parents but they were awful too. This was a stretched out world’s worst children story about Myrtle stretched out.
john cardwell
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David is the best either and only one I have read all of his books 📚 . I 💘 u david
Miss S E O'Donnell
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
You have to love a Williams! Silly and far fetched but that’s what makes it fun!
Courtney Smedes
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent 2nd grade class read aloud. It had my students laughing out loud and begging for more.
Victoria Louise
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Read with Ophelia. We both agreed it was mildly interesting but quite lazy in lots of respects; the plot was simple and the jokes weren't that funny.
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.
“wavering” 0 likes