Start by marking “Fing” as Want to Read:
Fing

Fing

The new children’s book from No. 1 bestselling author David Walliams – a deliciously daft Tall Story of a child who had everything, but still wanted more. Illustrated by artistic genius, Tony Ross.

Meet the Meeks!

Myrtle Meek has everything she could possibly want. But everything isn’t enough. She wants more, more, MORE! When Myrtle declares she wants a FING, there’s only on
Published February 21st 2019 by HarperCollinsChildren’sBooks

Katy Noyes
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Elongated 'World's Worst Child' tale, not a strong Walliams story.

From the first, I had the feeling this was one of the WWC series, expanded. This was the first time my son has bought a Walliams' on day of publication, as he's such a fan of every other by the author (we've only missed out Awful Auntie). It's taken around 10 nights for me to read it to him, and he's enjoyed it.

So this review is not from his perspective - an 8 year old will love this: bum/poo jokes, lots of noises and silly creatu
Alice
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my what can i say, first even david walliams i read and its been thrilling , loved everu bit and im excited to resd more
Sophie
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Lives up to its description- an explosively funny tale
Charlie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
love this book
Kelly
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed reading this my son. It is very Roald Dahl-esque and was enjoyable, however, it could have been significantly shorter and it felt that he was trying too hard by the end. The constant asterisks throughout the story were also off-putting for me as a reader and for my son as a listener.

I did like the onomatopoeia throughout and it allowed my son to get involved with the reading as well. Overall it is a fun read for parents and kids.
Anu
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Illustrations by Tony Ross.
I am an avid reader of David Walliams books.
I love his sense of humour, brilliant narration and his unique way of storytelling including the funny footnotes
Adventure starts with the parents quest to find Fing for their demanding kid and how it leads them on a terrifying and troublesome journey. I love the peaceful and happy ending. The author takes the readers with his amazing creativity to a different level of imagination.
In this book, I loved the part wher
Saffron
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING
Angie Rhodes
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Well David, you've done it again, had me laughing out loud. Myrtle Meek is anything but meek! she's the horribliest * ( yes it's a word , you can look it up in the Walliamsictionary) meanest little girl in the whole wide world..she makes Veruca Salt positively perfect, and she wants a FING, so her parents have to find one, because you don't say no to Myrtle! Yes I.maybe 54 , but you know, I don't care, every man, woman and child of every age should read David's books, because they make everyday ...more
Jon Spriggs
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
Half an idea for a story, badly executed. "The next Roald Dahl"? Ridiculous. Dahl would have made this 200+ "page" monstrosity of a chapter. Disappointed. ...more
Dawn Woods
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019
Read it because it featured a librarian (2) but couldn't wait to finish it. Usual toilet humour and formula although is a moral at the end
Kev Penny
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I've no real problem with Walliams' whole 'rip off Dahl' effort (let's face it Dahl isn't gonna be writing any more of his own), it's just that based on this book he isn't actually all that great at it.
Janay Brazier
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfectly daft and made me smile. Working in a primary school, I know I will be sharing this book.
Max
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
It was funny but also weird. I thought it was really unrealistic so that made me think about it.
Tea
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!

This is David's latest book. and its completely mental. If your familiar with David's World Worst Children and love them. you will adore this. It is based only on one child Myrtle Meek and she is a nightmare child. who's life gets changed for ever after she demands, that she wants a Fing . Her parents both librarians, have no idea what Fing is so they go to the library and look it up in books. They find it and go on adventure to Collect the monster.

This book is classic Davi
Millie
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fing was a really good book and I would definable recommended it to any David Walliam fans
Jacqueline Lammin
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my daughter every night for the past week. Extremely funny story! We couldn’t wait to read it every night.
Charlie Wileman
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book was amazing. David walliams writing techniques really stood out in this particular book.
Stuey Mac
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was so disappointing. The plot in this book was senseless and lazy, and nothing like his other books. Every third line is some form of onomatopoeia which was totally overused throughout. Walliams is compared to Ronald Dahl all the time, but aside from both being British, writing children’s stories, and having a knack for using invented words that’s where the similarities end. I read this as a read aloud to my class and couldn’t wait to finish it. He will need to pick up how game on the ...more
Sally
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Got this book on the day it came out, started it that evening and finished it by the next morning. What a lovely, funny story about Fing and Myrtle And Myrtles parents. Highly recommend if you liked Walliam’s other novels or Roald Dahl.
Emma
May 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Heartbreaking that this is a bestseller - it’s just not good. Full of toilet humour (to the point where there’s almost no other jokes) excessive lists to bulk out the page count, and silly footnotes that simply add nothing. Portrayal of librarians was sad too. Oh dear, there’s so many EXCELLENT middle grade books, but this isn’t one of them. I always read before I buy as a gift, and there’s no way I’ll be buying this. I keep trying, as some of his have genuinely lovely characters and excellent s ...more
Connie Chan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know this book is geared towards kids and I am reading it as an adult; however, I do enjoy reading children books in general. I also have read other David Walliams’ books and have enjoyed them.

Fing didn’t fulfil what it has promised. I had a few chuckles with how Myrtle is encompassing all the worst traits of spoiled children in one, and of all the strange monsters, but other than that, the story is quite flat and forgettable.

Some children may enjoy it with its funny illustrations and over th
Sue
Jul 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Holy crap. I like middle school books: the absurd, the funny, the bumbling adults. I totally get that in a children’s novel that the parents aren’t the focal point, and that they’re often portrayed as useless tits - but this went too far. I HATED that kid. Every time she spoke, my back went up, and by the time we neared the end of the book (my 9 year old was reading), I would just say “brat” every time Myrtle said anything. I hated the parents too - so weak, so stupid, so indulgent. Just terribl ...more
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet Mr. and Mrs. Meek, who are, as their name implies, meek. They have a daughter, Myrtle, who they have never denied anything. From the time Myrtle was an infant, she would raise the roof if she did not get what she wanted. Her parents, being meek and wanting to calm things over, always gave in. Now, Myrtle has become a holy terror and when she announces she wants a fing, her parents are desperate to discover first what it is and then how to procure one. The ending is not quite what one would ...more
Mia
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet the Meeks!
Myrtle Meek has everything she could possibly want. But everything isn't enough. She wants more, more, more! When Myrtle declares she wants a FING, there's only one problem... What is a FING?

Mr and Mrs Meek will do anything to keep their darling daughter happy, even visit the library vaults to delve into the dusty pages of the mysterious Monsterpedia. Their desperate quest leads to the depths of the jungliest jungle where the rarest of creatures can be found.

But will they ever fin
Indy
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-book
Walliams’ children books are always fascinating, and Ross’s illustrations just make the book even more enjoyable to read.

This time, it’s about poor Mr and Mrs Meek, who have a monstrous daughter Myrtle - a child who had everything but still wanted more. Just one more “fing”, which is a furry, sphere shaped monster that could only be found in the deepest, darkest, jungliest jungle. Mr Meek took a breathtaking adventure to get the fing on Myrtle’s request, and the story goes even better from there
AD
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A rollicking, funny story about two quiet librarians who meet, eventually marry, and have the noisiest baby ever! They can't say no to her, so she quickly grows into a spoiled brat. When she realises she has everything, she demands a "Fing", which sets her parents off on a grand adventure to uncover: a) what a Fing is; b) where they can find one; and c) how to bring one back for their daughter. Kids will love the silliness of this story, and parents will be relieved at the moral: don't be a brat ...more
David Robert Bloomer
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It feels like an extended World's Worst Children story but that isn't a bad thing. A real corker of a story. As an adult I read it in about an hour but I'd read it again at a more leisurely pace. For children it'd be fantastic; as an adult I absolutely loved it. It's fun and for anyone looking to escape the mundane realities of being an adult, this is the book for you. Highly recommended for children of all ages.
Helen Langston
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this book to my two boys over a few weeks. My eldest (8) quite enjoyed it. My youngest (6) found it scary in parts. Both commented how naughty and rude Myrtle was.

As the reader I find Walliams use of foot notes irritating and it spoils the flow of reading, as when I spot the note at the bottom of the page I end up trying to scan the page to find the asterix, whilst trying to concentrate out what I’m reading to my sons.
Kate Walker
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by David Walliams. ☺ I liked all the characters in this book very much. I didn't like that Raji the shopkeeper was at near the end of the book. I would like David to a whole book about Raji and the newsagent. I felt sad for Mr and Mrs Meek and Mrytle having to by all of the custard creams from the supermarket. I liked ring very much. I liked the idea of the jungle where Mr Meek went come to be on the 📺. I can't wait to read another book by David Walliams soon.
Leo Margetts
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This explosively hilarious story is all about mr and mrs Meek's daughter- Myrtle. Myrtle is a child who had everything she ever wanted except one more fing. During the story Mr Meek has to set off on this journey that lets him see the deadly fing. While that adventure is taking place Mrs Meek goes to the pet store to get Myrtle a fing because her father had not returned on time. At the end the fing takes Myrtle to the jungleand leaves her there. After that everyone is scared of Myrtle.
« previous 1 3 next »
David Walliams is an actor and writer best known for his work with Matt Lucas in the multi-award-winning sketch show Little Britain. His debut children's novel, The Boy in the Dress, was published in 2008 to unanimous critical acclaim and he has since developed a reputation as a natural successor to Roald Dahl.
“peeved.” 0 likes