Start by marking “Holiday Outing” as Want to Read:
Holiday Outing

Holiday Outing

Genre: LGBT Romantic Suspense
Length: Novella

It's been years since Jonah Levinson has seen his parents. But now he is going to spend Hanukkah with them in order to finally tell them the truth: not only is he gay, but he is a successful author of gay novels and not the struggling (and straight) writer they imagine him to be.

The holiday starts poorly. A record blizzard delays
Published January 1st 2019 by Horns Press (first published December 23rd 2008)

Start your review of Holiday Outing
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
The plot was a little far-fetched, but I love when I read a Chanukah story with Jewish characters that I can relate to. Astrid Amara is my go-to for Jewish MC romances!
Deeze
This is another wonderful tale by Astrid Amara.

Jonah is a great guy full of insecurities when it comes to Ethan and his family, and with a mother like that I’m not surprised. While she might of loved her son, she sure didn’t show it.

Ethan seemed like the typical poster child, successful at everything he put his mind too, but not so confident when it came to Jonah. I would of like to see a little more repentance for his actions while at school but overall I really liked him.

The mystery portion
Susan
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ooooohhhh...I liked this one very much.

It's my first Astrid Amara book! I've been meaning to read others, but just hadn't gotten to any yet. And I have to say I really enjoy this author's style. There's genuinely solid storytelling even in a basic contemporary holiday novella. The characters were layered and I liked both the subtle and not-so-subtle emotions portrayed here.

Jonah is in the closet to his family, he secretly writes best-selling gay romance, and he heads home to face the scrutiny
Skye Kilaen
I enjoyed this M/M romance between two gay Jewish guys. Jonah Levinson, closeted to his family despite a successful career writing gay romance novels, heads home for Hanukkah. He is NOT happy about it, anticipating all kinds of awkwardness. Dr. Ethan Rosenberg picks Jonah up from the airport at the Levinson family’s request, which makes life a thousand times more annoying. Ethan was Jonah’s high school crush, but also his childhood rival, and Ethan is now highly successful as well as handsome. ...more
Martin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story. I especially liked the beginning very much.
Jonah Levinson returns home after 4 years of not visiting his parents for Christmas AKA Hanukkah. He's an acclaimed writer of gay fiction, but his personal love life is less than thrilling and on top of everything, at age 30, he's still not out to his parents.

Arriving at the airport, Jonah is picked up by Dr Ethan Rosenberg, a high school mate (and his mom's best friend's son) who used to bully him in school. Due to some trick of
Heller
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jonah Levinson is a best-selling author of gay fiction. He has a rich and layered life back in Seattle the problem is he's not in Seattle for Hanukkah he's in Connecticut with his family. His family who don't know he's gay and who don't know he's a popular and successful author. To make matters worse Jonah is forced to share a room with his childhood nemesis Ethan Rosenberg.

I love a good enemies to lovers story. I really enjoyed how the layers were peeled back on Ethan's feelings and his actions
Vio
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet romance with a touch of mystery and some eccentric relations! Jonah I adored and could relate to the lovable insecure sweetheart. I thoroughly enjoyed this funny and unusual story. Its another gem from the author who is fast becoming a favourite!
Ami
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
M/M version of "Home for the Holidays" :). Jonah Levinson comes home for Hanukah, planning to finally tell his parents that he is gay (and a successful gay author to boot) -- when he is not only faced with relatives coming but also his old crush, Dr. Ethan Rosenberg, who apparently, stay in Jonah's parents' house for the holiday. While the plot might not be new (Ethan used to be a little mean to Jonah back in school) but it is one sweet and fun read. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Susan
Apr 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm

This was a low angst, straightforward kind of story. With some mystery on the side. I have to admit it was somewhat lacking in the romance department, but entertaining nonetheless.

Jonah hasn’t seen his family in 4 years (no idea why the blurb says 12 years). As a successful writer of gay romance novels and with him being gay himself, Jonah is quite happy with the life he has built for himself. Well, except for the part where he lies to his family and feels he can never live up to their
DaisyGirl
4.0 Stars

This is a warm and funny Hanukkah story. Jonah leads a double life. In Seattle, he's openly gay and a best-selling gay fiction author; back home in Connecticut, he's still in the closet so his friends and family believe him to be unsuccessful and kind of pathetic. They love him nonetheless but Jonah feels guilty for hiding his true nature from them. He ventures home for the holidays after a twelve year stint of not visiting. Waiting for him are his loving but neurotic parents, his Uncle
Lexi Ander
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
Jonah goes back home for the holidays, not because he wants to but because it is time to tell his parents that he is gay. He's thirty years old, it's time...he knows it time but when he get there nothing is as it should be. EVERYBODY is there. Not only that the person who man his life hell in high school by outing him in front of the basketball team is there...sleeping in his room. Add to that the storm of the century strands everybody there and then to make things perfect they lose power. It ...more
Katharina
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I liked this one!

This was more than a typical holiday family story. Yes, it had the usual elements, such as numerous relatives coming together and the prodigal son (Jonah) returning home for the first time in years. The romance played also a big part with Ethan turning up at Jonah's family house. Ethan is Jonah's high school crush and rival who hurt him badly back then by mockingly declaring him gay in front of the rest of a not-so-understanding group of jocks. And finally, there were
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-fiction
Jonah hasn’t seen his family in twelve years. They don’t know he’s gay. Now he’s trapped with them in the storm of a century. A family heirloom has been stolen. And now, his childhood rival, Ethan, has arrived to steal his heart. From Loose Id.

This is my first contemporary read from Astrid Amara and it was wonderful. The premise was engaging, going home for the holidays and having that moment of truth with your family, which I imagine is on a lot of peoples minds at this time of year. Hanukkah
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
A Sweet Love Story Intertwined with Mystery and Family Mayhem~

Gosh..Jonah and Ethan...Scooby Doo Private eye's...in the case of the missing family heirloom~This book is more like 3-3.5 Stars.

The Plot was fun!
This book has a strong Scooby Doo plot resemblance.
I did like the persnickety family...at times.

The pace and directional flow~was good...AFTER.........

Well after my Ah Ha! moment~ Ethan mention he watched Scooby Doo, and he could figure the mystery out, well, I got it! Yes, an Ah Ha!
Kaje Harper
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Maybe a 3.5 - This was funny and an easy read. Jonah reluctantly comes home from his successful life as an out gay writer in Seattle to spend Hanukkah with his family. He finds himself trapped by the storm of the century in his parents' house, surrounded by his relatives and faced with sharing a room with Ethan, the guy he secretly had a crush on but was tormented by in high school. What's worse, all his gifts are in his lost suitcase, and he has only copies of his gay novels to give to his ...more
Anke
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
First read sometime before 12/2011, 4 stars

Re-read Nov 27, 2016, 4 stars
I had the start of this story in my mind for a few days now and finally found it! And it was the same great read I remembered. Only the ending was a bit abrupt.

Chris
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful Hanukkah m/m romance from Astrid Amara! A successful author of gay fiction, still closeted to his family, gets snowed in with his family (and a high school nemesis) for Hanukkah.
Candice
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun and sweet story with a cute little mystery thrown in.
Jason Bradley
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this author's style and humor to be so addictive.
adrienne
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-fiction, good
seriously, i'm an idiot. i keep passing over amara's books in my computer (this is even after reading 'policy of lies' which i know i liked) b/c for some reason i have this brain block that i dont like her style, when in fact she's great- and funny too! growing up about 90% of my friends were jewish; reading this totally returned me to sitting through various holiday dinners with them and all the random family drama i was able to witness. fluid writing, understandable characters, good detail- ...more
Karl
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Astrid Amara's love story of Jonah and Ethan was sweet and hit all the right notes for me. The mystery, which I initially thought was a simple "throwaway" plot device (I mean this in the nicest of ways), turned out to be more interesting than expected and augmented this wonderful "childhood friends/bullies becomes lovers" story. But the attraction and sexual tension between her wonderful characters and her unique style made this book a joy to read for me.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Jonah has a boat load of problems, his luggage was lost on the way to visit his family for the holidays.
He's still on the closet, so he can't reveal how successful he is as an author, his family drives him crazy and if that wasn't enough Ethan, his boyhood crush is also staying with his parents.
Add a bit of thievery and it's a great, fun story!
Shannon
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really sweet story with two very likable MCs. Sometime humorous, sometimes sexy and always entertaining. Nothing angsty in this book, just a sweet former "rivals" to lovers story. I loved the setting with everyone stuck in the parent's house for the holiday with no power and plenty of family drama. Loved everything about this book, just wished it were longer.
Jane (PS)
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
This is, without doubt, my favourite book by Astrid Amara. I loved the two main characters (Jonah and Ethan) and Jonah's crazy family was a great contrast to the romance, with so many elements of real life believability. Definitely a book I'll read again just for the shear enjoyment of the craziness and paranoia :)
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Thanks Susan!

Cause of your rec/review I decided to read this one btwn 5am-7:30

What a cute and sweet way to spend a Tuesday morning
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Sweet, light and funny. Astrid Amara has now become one of my favorite MM authors.
Teal
Astrid Amara first caught my attention with a darkly atmospheric story in the Irregulars anthology, and I'm on a mission to read more of her work. This story couldn't be further away in tone -- it's light and quirky and fun.

But I got clobbered by Kindle Sample Syndrome with this book. You know, where JUST AFTER the sample ends, the story introduces elements that would have made you run away screaming if you'd only realized they were going to be there? Not one, not two, but THREE things I
Elisa Rolle
Jonah has worked hard to find a way as far as possible from the small town in which he is born. He is now a successful gay novel author and openly gay man... but not with his family. The few times he comes back home, he returns the brooding teen who never found the courage to tell his parents. But this time, coming home for the Hanukkah holiday, he is firm in his decision to coming out... until he discovers that Ethan is staying with them for all the week; Ethan, the perfect son of his ...more
Joyfully Jay
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Joyfully Jay review.

Holiday Outing is definitely on the older end of the m/m romance spectrum, published back in 2008. I was pleased to see how well this story holds up even after six years though. Because almost the entire book is spent in the Levinson’s house and without power, the technology and real world events aren’t really much of the plot. So with the exception of a gift of an iPod shuffle, this one really holds up great and feels totally current.

What I really like most here
Stacey Jo
Jonah has been away from his family for 12 years. They don't know that in that time he's become a successful M/M author or that he's gay. He decides to go home for the holidays and is taken aback to see Ethan, his childhood "enemy" and family friend (who he crushed on in highschool), at the airport to pick him up instead of his parents. He's also confused as to why Ethan is so obviously hitting on him because Ethan is straight, right? Once they get to the house, the snow "storm of the century" ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • Body and Soul (PsyCop, #3)
  • Touch Me Gently
  • Agent Bayne (PsyCop, #9)
  • Where the Allegheny Meets the Monongahela
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Off the Ice  (Hat Trick, #1)
  • The Backup Boyfriend (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • Mind Magic  (Triad, #1)
  • Secrets (PsyCop, #4)
  • Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5)
  • One of Those Days
  • GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)
  • Spook Squad (PsyCop, #7)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Deal Maker (Mixed Messages, #2)
“-And I'm sorry too.
-For what?
-For calling you an asshole doctor.
-That's okay.
-Even though, technically, that is what you are.”
15 likes
“-"What's that for?"
-"Have a little bread with your ice cream," she told me.”
4 likes