Start by marking “The Field” as Want to Read:

The Field

Eric Horton has been having disturbing nightmares of explosions and fire and someone screaming. The dreams keep him up at night, but during the day, as a goalkeeper on his high school's varsity soccer team, he has been unbeatable, saving shot after shot with what feels like a supernatural awareness of where the ball is headed. He also shares an uncommonly strong connection ...more
Expected publication: April 23rd 2019 by Brown Books Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2013)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 23, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win one of three signed Advance Review Copies of THE FIELD!

“We have to set aside what we think we know about the world around u

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 604 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 02 - Mar 02, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Field

Erin
    Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: first-reads
    A fun book about soccer and tapping into hidden abilities. Eric makes the high school Varsity team as a goalie. He is able to predict where the ball will end up which really puts him on his game. He also meets the new girl, Renee, an exchange student from France, who he feels connected to. When Eric's dreams begin to haunt him and his best friend turns against him, he is left feeling hopeless and not connected. Can he tap back into the zone and get his life back in order?

You don't have to be a f
    Nai
    Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    It has been a long week, and this book really was what saved me this weekend. I've had a pretty crazy busy November and December isn't looking much less busy though I do very much look forward to a week of vacation around the holiday season. I haven't had time off like that, well, ever. So, YAY time to read! I felt rushed reading The Field, and was so happy that the lovely Emlyn gave me some extra time to post my review. It's the first time I've missed a date for one of my tours, and I feel real ...more
    Bibliogyan
    Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
    The plot revolves around a high school student Eric Horton of the Monroe High school. He is on the soccer team as the goal keeper. The story starts with Eric been selected for the Varsity Team and becoming friends with his new classmate Renee. She is a transfer from France and her father is a scientist as well as a guest lecturer in their school.

The story then move forwards to what Renee’s father is up-to. He is doing experiments with the Dark Energy and Dark Matter and connecting it with The Un
    R3id Libby
    Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is a good summer read, and you may very well find yourself reading several chapters at a time. I finished the book in about a week; the plot is easy to follow, the characters relatable, and each word positively absorbing.
    Whether you're on the soccer field with Eric and Will during each thrilling play, or on top of the mysterious rock watching the stars with Eric and Renee, or just kidding around with Cole, (with whom I feel a deep emotional resonance,) every scene is at once thrilling
    CJ
    Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    "The Field" by Tracy Richardson is a first-reads due out in October of 2013, and it is an amazing combination of a clean cut, coming of age soccer athlete with a hint of a precognition type trait mixed in with educational science, scietific experimentation based in factual past practices mostly during war times, and a little magic and mysticism all rolled into one.

Eric can ofter see what move is coming in his position of soccer goalkeeper and save the day for his team. He also falls for the new
    Sabrina
    Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This was a fun book that has soccer and hidden abilities which sound like they won’t work well together but it does. Eric makes the varsity soccer team as a goalie and with his hidden ability he can tell where the ball is going to go and can block it every time. He also falls for the new girl Rene so everything seems to be going his way. That is until his dreams start to haunt him and his best friend turns against him can Eric get back on his game and make everything right again.

I am a huge soc
    Marilyn
    Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: High School
    The Field can be considered a form of science fiction. The author, a biology major, includes environmental issues and metaphysics in her story. Eric, the protagonist, can tell what others may be thinking, which can help him excel at his goalie position in his high school soccer team. He becomes involved with a collective energy experiment being conducted by a visiting scientist. Although he gets bothered by his abilities, he works things out by discussing events with his family and girlfriend Re ...more
    Ann Jones
    Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Sports, science, paranormal activity and strong realistic teenage characters, male and female. There is nothing not to like about this book.
    Cara
    Soccer, science, friendship, and romance make this a book any gender and readers from teens to adults could enjoy. Eric Horton is the kind of boy you want your daughter to date.
    Uday Singh
    Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The sci-fi genre is something that keeps surprising me with unexpected plots and I guess, that’s the best thing about it. This book was no exception to that fact.

Let’s save the details for later and start with the plot in which we get to follow the story of Eric Horton, he is in high school and has made to the football/soccer team, as a goalie. He is joined by his companions Will and Cole. Then there’s finally Renee, another understudy that has come to America with her father who’s a researcher.
    all_i_need_is_books__
    Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book revolves around a high school student Eric Horton of the Monroe High school. He is on the soccer team as a goal keeper. He has been selected for the varsity team and became friends with his new classmate Renee. ERIC got quite influenced by the work Renee's father used to do.
    The thing that I didn't like about the book is the suspense part. It could have been more better and make the story more interesting to read.
    The characters portrayed are well developed. The characters, you can actua
    Manali
    Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I really liked it. Imagine reliving your childhood and taking over the world together. But sometimes life throws curveballs at you and the best thing one can do is be yourself and hold on tight for the ride.
    There's another important and special thing about the protagonist, he is very intuitive. He can literally give his thoughts wings. That part of the story really caught my attention, many a times I guess how a story ends. So color me very happy, I am uber cool special. Now all I need to do is
    Oct 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arc
    Check out more reviews at Laura in Bookland

This book follows around Eric Horton. He is a junior in high school and has made the varsity soccer team, as one of two goalies. Eric seems to be a pretty average student, though he does take a couple AP classes, one being AP Environmental Science. His friends Will and Cole are also in this class. This class is also where he meets Renee, a new student that has come to America with her scientist father. This girl becomes Eric’s love interest throughout t
    Wolfie
    Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Writer Person

I find it funny how I read two soccer books back-to-back. Right after The Romeo Club, I jumped right into this one. I mention this because I was in the right sort of mind for the soccer references. It's not that I have anything against soccer, it's just that I personally haven't played in so long, I sort of forget what it's like. But now I'm digressing.

What I meant to get at was this: I've never seen quite a combination like this. A mix of soccer, physics, and.... a French girl. I n
    Kimber Wheaton
    Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ya
    I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The Field is an interesting YA read that's rather difficult to classify. It's part paranormal, part science. There's a bit of mystery and some romance. One thing I liked about this novel is that it's so different from other books I've read. Most YA authors don't explore science, much less physics. Some theoretical physics theories seem so fantastic, especially things like the universal consciousness (Ouch! Don't hit m
    Jennifer Smith
    First of all, I won this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

I hate writing bad review because it makes me feel like a horrible person, but I won this book in a First Reads giveaway so I feel obligated to review it. I did not like this book at all. It was so boring that I really struggled to finish it. The teenagers in the book were very unrealistic and the author completely failed at making them sound like real teenagers. She tried way too hard to add a bunch of cool phrases to the teenage
    Kelly Hager
    In the author bio at the end of the book, it says that Tracy Richardson loved A Wrinkle in Time. That's completely obvious when you read the book. Thematically, it's not science fiction per se (although there are elements of that) but there is such a love of science going through this book that I think anyone who loves that subject will absolutely adore this book. (It will also help if readers love soccer.)

I am not huge on science or soccer, but the premise of this book made me absolutely want t
    Craig Tierney
    Eric and his friends are relatable characters throughout the novel, and the idea and use of the Universal Energy Field is an original set piece for this genre, but the pacing was too slow for me up until the last 10 chapters.

The soccer games had plenty if excitement and suspense, but Eric's day-to-day life and his experiments with Dr. Auberge just didn't keep me engaged very well.

The book is well written, but I think it would have been more interesting if Eric had figured out his ability to pr
    Mary Lou Hoffman
    Category /Genre: YA, Paranormal, Mystery
    Received from: Tracy Richardson (in exchange for an honest review)
    Tour by: Novel Publicity
    Recommended for: 12+
    Grammar/editing: A – near perfect

Eric Horton is a junior at Monroe HS. He's on the soccer team and taking AP Environmental Science. He dominates the soccer field, but he's also learning about the Universal Energy Field, alternative energy sources, navigating new love, and maintaining life-long friendships.

I loved this story of discovery. Eric is ex
    Lexie Miller
    Realistic life of a high school student with the desire to excel in high school athletics (soccer), school and to develop relationships blended with present-day environmental issues and the Universal Energy Field. Well written for a high school or young adult reader that helped to keep my interest and follow a basic story line. For me who does not have a background of much faith in "energy fields" or being able to tell the future, Tracy Richardson did a nice job of making the story both interest ...more
    Laurie
    Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Here is an excerpt from my review: "There are two fields in Tracy Richardson's The Field. The first is the soccer field. Eric Horton is a fantastic goalie. He made the Varsity team and has been able to start as goalie, taking away that privilege from a senior! Eric often feels that he's so good at blocking shots because it's almost as if he can visualize where the ball is going to go before it even leaves the ground.

And that's where the second field comes into the plot. The Universal Energy Fiel
    Mrs. Winningham
    I picked this book up because I thought it was a sports book. The main character Eric is a soccer goalie for his high school team but seems to have special powers when he is in the goal. The story is weak, the characters need to be developed better. This book might interest a high school student that is into para-normal science, but beware it is a boy meets girl, and they hang out book. Not all that much action.
    Nicole Wolverton
    I've seen this billed as a boy book and A Wrinkle in Time for an older crowd. While I can see the direct homage to Wrinkle, I didn't get the particular vibe of a masculine voice. Yeah, Eric's a soccer star, but there's something about him that doesn't ring entirely true to me. I didn't have particularly strong feelings about any of the characters.

The idea of this book is quite appealing, and I do wonder how much of the science is true, given the writer's background in science.
    Jenn
    Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    2.75 There's a lot of potential in this book. I like the comparison of the soccer field/sports psychology to the field of energy that connects us all. But sometimes the soccer game descriptions go on for pages, and the science class and metaphysical bits get a little preachy (or maybe just informational, but detailed to a point that distracts from the narrative).
    Tracy Richardson
    Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    Of course I love this book, I wrote it! I hope that you enjoy it, too. Check out my blog to see the some of the background on why I wrote it. www.tracyrichardson.wordpress.com
    Dec 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    So slow. So very very slow. Faster pacing might have given me reason to care about the lives of Eric, Renee and Will. But maybe not.

Copy provided by publisher.
    Vilde
    Sep 10, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ftc
    Read through netgalley.com
    Elizabeth Dodd
    Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Quite intriguing.
    A novel that plays with the string theory.
    Entertaining and thought provoking
    April
    Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A fairly unique storyline with likable characters. Fast enjoyable read that I recommend to YA Sci-fi lovers!
    PWRL
    May 12, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2014-new
    E
    Goodreads Librari...: Changing out summary with updated copy 1 8 Jan 30, 2019 10:15AM
    • Walking the Labryinth
    • The Goblet
    • Mary of the Aether
    • Second Verse
    • Thunderstone (Legacy in Legend #1)
    • All I Want
    • Shadow on the Sun (Hell's Cross, #3)
    • HomeSkills: Wiring: Fix Your Own Lights, Switches, Receptacles, Boxes, Cables & More
    • Uncaged
    • Once a Rake (Drakes Rakes, #4)
    • The Three Month Plan
    • Crazytown (Darren Lockhart Mysteries #1)
    • Becoming a Londoner: A Diary
    • Crispy Critters
    • The Midnight Side
    • Crooked Tree
    • The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
    • Cerberus (Solace, #1)
    Tracy Richardson lives in Indianapolis and spends her free time reading - almost any genre, cooking, dancing and making things - usually from yarn or fabric.