Start by marking “The Nowhere” as Want to Read:
The Nowhere

The Nowhere

Two boys. Two farms. One deadly secret.

Every day’s the same on the farm. Seventeen-year-old Seb rides his quad bike alongside his dad and cattle dog, dreaming about a different life. A life that doesn’t require him to spend all day in the blistering sun. Where the nearest town isn’t a forty-minute drive away with a population of less than three hundred people. Where he

Published June 4th 2019 by PRNTD Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nowhere

Start your review of The Nowhere
Louise Savage
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: twist, read-2019, lgbt
The Nowhere is gorgeous and gut-wrenching in equal measures. I didn’t know much about the story going into it and the path Gill takes you down will leave your mouth agape and your heart broken. I recommend this book with all that’s left of my heart. Plus, the cover is everything.
Simon
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetic, lgbt
Wow. An absolutely breathtaking novel full of unrequited love and heartbreak. I went into this thinking it would be a lighthearted m/m romance (I don't know why, the tagline 'one deadly secret' should have given it away) and I was floored how the story turned out. But it's a story I think needed to be told.

I related to parts of the novel very much. I remember my first heartbreak came from a guy who gave me mixed messages but turned out to be 'straight'. I think it's important for stories to some
Tom Malden
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I finally read The Nowhere after much hype on Instagram and woah, I can safely say it lives up to it. The story is told so beautifully and slowly builds up, going in a direction you would never expect from a book in this genre. I was expecting more to happen between Seb and Jake, but now having finished the book I can see why it didn't. Highly recommended and looking forward to reading more work from this author.
Angie Skinner
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A steady build up to a mind-blowing climax – I recommend this book with my whole heart, even if it did leave me heart-broken.
Gabby
This story follows this boy named Sebastian who is a closeted gay teenage boy who lives on this farm with his dad and his brother in the middle of nowhere in Australia. Then one day a boy close to his age named Jake and his family move in to the farm closest to them, and Sebastian start to crush on him hard.

The writing style was kind of strange and hard to get used to because the main story happening in this takes place in 1997 when Sebastian met Jake, but we get chapters from 2017, 2005 and ev
Kai
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, queer
"You can't keep it secret forever, the truth always comes out eventually."

Look, I rooted for us, I wanted to love this book, and even though I did everything I could, we weren't meant to be.

Okay so. I really fell for the whole "lonely gay boy pines for hot, moody, unapproachable dude next door" vibe. Especially because it was set in the middle of, well, The Nowhere and there was just nothing else to do than being a thirsty, desperate gay. However, I did have a few issues with this story.
First of
Josh Radwell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to PRNTD Publishing for sending me a copy of "The Nowhere" – I am so glad I got to be one of the first readers for what is certainly going to be a well-received novel.

5 / 5 Stars

I am not sure where to begin, other than by saying that I was genuinely blown away. I did not expect the story that came from these pages; I was, for lack of better words, gob smacked by the end, in the best way. Essentially, the main character, Seb, receives a call from an old friend, Jake, and from there we a
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two boys. Two farms. One deadly secret.

When Seb moves to The Nowhere with his father and brother, he didn’t imagine his life would turn out the way it did. Each day, exactly the same. Work on the farm, in the blistering sun, dream of a different life. A better life.

Until one day a new family moves in next door. Seb thinks his luck might have just changed. Could Jake, the enigmatic boy with a dangerous glint in his eye, be his ticket out of The Nowhere?

An absolutely brilliant novel! I was alre
my bookworm life
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
📖💟 I finished this the other day and wow let me tell you I haven't been able to stop thinking about it!
That ending was not what I expected at all and I've only just managed to put all the bits of my heart back together so thanks for that ha. But no seriously the writing of this book is brilliant , the ability to write something that is so easy to get into and keeps you hooked and guessing all the way to the end , that's a talent right there! I know if a book is good for me personally because wh
Jade Diamond
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Nowhere tells the story of Seb, a Teenage boy growing up in the Outback, struggling to find belonging and companionship, that is until a new family moves in next door, and he meets the enigmatic Jake. Jumping back and forth between present and past, as he tries to accept the choices of his past. I loved that even though this is definitely a coming-of-age story, It has this fantastic Mystery involved that was to so beautifully weaved into the story.

I also really enjoyed the format! Seb tell h
Laura Altmann (laurabookish)
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"In that moment, the aching longing to be somewhere else was finally gone. Somewhere that wasn't The Nowhere. Somewhere that wasn't my own skin. In the darkness, I was sure I could hear the night whispering to me. Telling me it secrets, now it knew mine."
- The Nowhere, Chris Gill

When Seb's mother died, his life changed dramatically. His father, Stuart, dragged Seb and his younger brother away from Perth city to move to the country and fulfil his dream of becoming a cattle farmer. Far from civili
John
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This was one of those books that enthralls you and makes you resent having to put the book down to sleep. It is a powerful book that is as beautiful as it is devastating and stays with you long after the book is finished. It deals with themes related to homosexuality, coming of age, loneliness, family relationships and grief.

One of the strengths of 'The Nowhere' is how the loneliness and isolation of rural Australia has been evoked, somewhat reminiscent of Jane Harper's work, but done in a
Falguni Jain
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story revolves around a really interesting plot. Two kids dreaming of running away from their town -  The Nowhere. But still not satisfied when they get what they have wanted for so long.

It is a story of one sided love, family drama, friendship, teenage desires, and broken dreams.

I loved the way the author transitioned to and fro past and present. Revealing just enough to keep the story going on while maintaining the curiosity of the reader.

The characters are great. They are influenced by th
Rajesh Bookrider
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5 Stars

Two boys. Two farms. One deadly secret.

The story jumps present and past. Seb is telling his story.

Seb is gay. But that's not a deadly secret.
Seventeen-year-old Seb lives on a farm with his father and brother in The Nowhere.
Seb doesn't like to live on farm. He was alone until one day Jack moves in next door Or farm.

Eventually Seb and Jake become friend and both make an escape plan so they could run away from their miserable farm life.

In between seb calls a friend to work on farm and t
Jessica
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come
Cameron Foster
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Yup, this novel has left me devastated, but the good kind of devastated. Seb and his tumultuous journey in finding his identity, defining his sexuality and navigating through guilt-laden trauma punched me in the gut with the turn of each page. His character’s interactions with other complex characters like Jake, Kylie, and of course, Dad, are so real and so wrenching that I found myself holding my breath in suspense of what would transpire next. I believe this story is necessary and its subject ...more
Sabrina
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, this is another book that I am still unsure of. I did like it but I think it’s one of those books that I would only read once.

I thought the book was well written and I liked how it was structured. You watch the story unfold through the present time and through flashbacks of the past. It was nice to see how the main character developed and changed throughout different times of his life. I will say, it was a bit slow in the beginning and I wasn’t gripped from the start. However, it did p
Jack
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of YA Glbt fiction for many reasons, and this story reminded me why, it has the power to change the world.

The bio led me to believe that this would be your typical romance, two boys who are next door neighbors bond and eventually fall in love. While love is a player in this particular story, more than anything it's about relationships and the importance of family.

There are two main characters, Sebastian who's moved from Perth to the Nowhere with his dad and little brother, and Jake
BryonyMarieFry
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished The Nowhere, by @chrisgillbooks (Instagram) and I have so many tears welling up in these eyes. This is such an important and poignant story that needs to be told, now, more than ever. .
Amongst the narrative, is a steady peppering of raw, honest, and oftentimes self-prejudicial neuroses, that serve as a constant reminder of the challenges faced by anyone growing up and living with a sexuality of which so many people have spent so many years vilifying, and still do.
It’s a p
Steven M
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could reach back, through the sands of time, and gift this book to the adolescent me Oh MY GOD!!
This novel reads like moving poetry and the prose are expansive! It takes place in Australia, though I’ve not been the continent itself is its own character which was beautiful to experience.
I feel as if I’ve made a genuine friend in Sebastian and completely resonate with all his trials and growth on a deeply personal level.
Beautiful character development and a tough book to put down for sure m
Gavin Porter
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished ‘The Nowhere’, a wonderfully descriptive new novel that really packs a punch.
You will feel many different emotions as you turn each page, following the trials and tribulations of Seb – a sympathetic character I found I could often resonate with.
‘The Nowhere’ is beautifully written by Chris Gill and I’m very much looking forward to his next book.
Jimmie
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit, I can’t believe it even took me 5 days to read this book. It’s full of unrequited love, rebellious youth and heartbreak in all the best ways.
Kevin Wilcoxon
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good writing with plenty of unanticipated turns. Each time I thought I knew what was going on, I found I didn't. Told from the main character's neurotic point of view, he is constantly putting himself down, unable to take independent action, and easily influenced by the bad boy on the next farm. Moving back and forth in time, the struggle continues until the end - which is not completed, but there is tragic foreboding. Not a gay love story.
Jordan Clayden-Lewis
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, didn't take me long to read this one, because I just couldn't put it down! Very well written and inspiring. Hit close to home being LGBT and growing up in regional Australia. Absolutely recommend!
Leah Sharp
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alright, firstly give me a minute to pick up the pieces of my heart that Chris Gill has broken.
The Nowhere' tells a story of a 17-year-old boy named Seb, against the scenery of the Australian bush, who is dealing with a huge secret, but not the one that readers first think. Gill's writing tugs at your heartstrings, using thoughtful techniques across the story to really engage the reader with the emotions of the characters, and allow the audience to relate back emotionally in ways they haven't be
Kari
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was an amazing book and one that surprised me but so needed to be written. In the era of today, a young male developing feeling for another males friend and not sure on how to act or what to do; is more common then we think. The poor boy lost his mother and is being raised with his younger brother out literally in the middle of nowhere. But this book is so filled from page 1, you won’t want to put it down.
Clemi
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt
4.5/5:
I don’t feel closure at the end. I feel pain.
Maggie
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful book to read and the story is lovely to follow
Reggie Virus

• Lie With Me
  • Barracuda
  • The Bright Lands
  • Dancer from the Dance
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Invisible Boys
  • The Adversary
  • What Belongs to You
  • Enigma Variations
  • We Contain Multitudes
  • Fear No Evil
  • Body Counts: A Memoir of Politics, Sex, AIDS, and Survival
  • Down the Hume
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • The Not-Quite States of America: Dispatches from the Territories and Other Far-Flung Outposts of the USA
  • Alex in Wonderland
Lambda Literary Award finalist Chris Gill is the author of the bestselling coming-of-age novel, The Nowhere.

Chris was born in Eastbourne in the UK and moved to New Zealand with his family at age two. He spent six years in Auckland, before returning to the UK with his family and living in Sussex. He studied Journalism at university in Hampshire.

On graduating, Chris began a career in copywriting in