Start by marking “Beneath an Italian Sky” as Want to Read:
Beneath an Italian Sky

Beneath an Italian Sky

(An American Heiress #2)

From USA Today bestselling author Stacy Henrie, comes an inspirational historical romance BENEATH AN ITALIAN SKY, An American Heiress novel.

BENEATH AN ITALIAN SKY
--1908--

American heiress Clare Herschel made what she hoped was a love match when she married the handsome, witty Emmett Markham, the Earl of Linwood. A little over a year into her marriage, though, Clare finds h
Published April 23rd 2019 by Mirror Press

To ask other readers questions about Beneath an Italian Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath an Italian Sky

Start your review of Beneath an Italian Sky
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Clare and Emmett are a sweet couple and I enjoyed getting to know them as they struggle through obstacles separately and together. They have an affectionate rapport and gentle banter, but when it comes to communicating their more difficult feelings or sharing about their past, they have more to learn. Their experiences in Italy draw them closer together, but also brings their hidden conflicts to the surface for them to deal with. Emmett's family dynamics are a source of unhappiness for them both ...more
Shash
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a compelling book! The setting of the earthquake and it's aftermath was heartrending. The circumstances brought about real growth in the characters, both individually and together. Emmett and Claire were a love match, but had grown apart through misunderstandings and lack of communication. I was grateful to learn about that part of their relationship through the flashbacks. I felt like I really got to know them and better understand their journey. I loved watching them come together again d ...more
Sometime
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure what to think of this one. I was eager to read a historical romance set against the backdrop of the historical event of the earthquake in Messina, Italy in 1908.

Clare is an American heiress married to Emmet the Earl of Linnwood. Their marriage is in trouble due to the 2 miscarriages and a severe lack of communication. (Seriously, these guy really need to talk)

This book didn't live up to my expectations, but that may be more on me than the book. I was hoping for more about the earthq
Julie Carpenter
My emotions were all over the place with this read. I admit I shed a few tears here and there. I laughed. I may have said, "grrrrr" to Clare and Emmett a couple times. I'm telling you, emotions all over the place. But it was so worth it. I loved it! I became emotionally invested in these two and their struggles, their misunderstandings, their love, their sorrows, their emotions and all the outside forces pushing on them and muddling their lives.

I thought it was a beautiful read and a great remin
Melanie
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yet another wonderful historical from Stacy Henrie! It was easy to get pulled into this story and I loved the characters. I could feel for them and their struggles. I loved all the little parts of the story (like how they both had misunderstandings about the other because of a certain reason…won't say what.) ;)

The story had some intense moments, as well, which made it even more difficult to put down. The ending was great and now I'm just waiting on the next book. Cannot wait!

All in all, I loved
Mara
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marriage of love turns lonely only a couple of years later. Can they find a second chance at love while dealing with the aftermath of a devastating earthquake?

I loved this story and was thrilled when Emmett finally decided to listen to the wise counsel his grandfather had given him as a young boy, "You have your own unique strengths, Emmett. Different than your father's or mine or anyone else's. God knows what they are. And He will help you and place you in situations to learn them for yoursel
Monique
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How had it come to that? Only twenty months before, meeting Emmett Markham, the Earl of Linwood, had brought such joy in Clare's life. An American heiress coming from trade had few chances of making a good match in New York, so Clare Herschel and her mother had traveled all the way to England. Snagging the son of a marquess had never entered Clare's mind; it was Emmett, the man, who had enchanted her. Emmett's father wanted his son to marry money, and Lord Hadwell was pleased with his son's choi ...more
Charissa
This Regency romance features Emmet and Clare. They’ve been married for 14 months when the book begins, but Clare has unexpectedly left to live in his villa in Sicily while her husband is gone making repairs on one of their other properties. Emmet is devastated and questions his wife’s love. Did she only marry him for his title, as he overheard? The questions haunt him. Meanwhile, Clare tries to piece together her broken heart away from her husband, who refused to ever grieve with her over her l ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I've been looking forward to this book for so long. Well, ever since the last book I read in this series. This book officially released yesterday so you can pick it up too!

I love when books are based around real historical events. This one is set in Sicily when a massive, devastating earthquake hits. The upheaval, turmoil and desperation were clearly present and I was caught up in the story, the characters and the emotion.

Both Clare and Emmett are so insecure. They don't have very good communic
Katie W
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This time period and the American heiresses are so fascinating to me. It seems that a lot of people in Europe long to find the American dream and those who come back a generation or two later, to find their matches, interests me greatly.

Clare has known hard times and has fallen deeply for Emmett, even though they make a good match and it pleases the marquess. But she's also known loss and some of those recent losses have driven this couple apart.

In a unique twist where the couple is already marr
Debby
“Beneath an Italian Sky (An American Heiress #2) is a fascinating novel by Stacy Henrie, an unknown author to this listener.

Clare Herschel, an American heiress and Emmet Markham, the Earl of Linwood were a love matched and loving couple. Somewhere during their marriage, communication between the two slowly dissipated and their union became very distant. They had grown apart, he wanting to gain the praise of his father and she unable to produce an heir after two miscarriages. After Clare's two mi
Kav
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I dove into this read not quite sure what to expect. I was intrigued by the reconciling married couple romance and the Italian setting but didn't quite have a grasp for how this story would play out. I'm the kind of reader who likes to know what I'm fictionally leaping into so I hope y'all appreciate my bravery venturing blindly into Stacy Henrie's latest. :-)

What I found was sheer brilliance! What an emotionally compelling story! Impeccable crafting blends 'present day' (historically speaking -
Staci
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
While I didn't enjoy the characters as much as book one in this series, it was still good. It's fascinating that so many "new money" American heiresses went to England to find titled husbands. And the potential suitors were certainly happy for the money to keep their family estates alive. Another enjoyable piece in this novel was that it was based upon the Messina, Italy earthquake that occurred December 28, 1908. What a tragic event in which 80,000-100,000 people lost their lives.
writer...
Feb 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Can.not.wait!
Luci Jamison
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It grabbed my attention from page one and held it until the end!

I like historical fiction books that make me want to do my own bit of research about the event and period written about and this story did just that.

I liked the characters Emmett and Clare as they developed into their relationship with each other and those around them. They were good and loving but had to work around a domineering father, and miscommunication skills and their own life experience . There w
Nashellej
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was fantastic. I remember reading Night at the Opera and loving the intrigue and suspense in addition to the romance. Beneath an Italian Sky had just as much pull to the writing and the characters and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Claire & Emmett thought they had made a love match, but all seems to be unraveling as they cannot even speak to each other without wounds and anger. As this story begins, we start in the past and chapters alternate between both Claire & Emmett in their stories bot
Lorieah
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, well-written story not only about a couple finding their way back to each other, but a man coming to understand what it MEANS to be a man — and not what his father expects of him. This book also had a little bit of history I didn't know about — the tragic earthquake in Messina in 1908. I loved how Emmet was able to rally the survivors together to help the others.

I also liked how it told the story going back and forth between now and when Clare and Emmet met, moving closer and close
Donna Campbell
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story and all of the wonderful characters. I enjoyed all of the struggles as well as the triumphs this family endured. This is a sweet and clean love story.
InD'tale Magazine
4.5/5.0

With a beautiful scenic backdrop, interesting characters, and a charming story, readers are sure to fall in love with a piece of Italy’s history and swoon for the romance that oozes from the pages of this book!

Read full review in the 2019 May issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Adrienne
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emmett Markham, the Earl of Linwood, thought he'd made a love match with American heiress Clare Herschel, but when he finds that she has traveled to Sicily without him, he wonders if she actually cares for him. His father, who wants him to run for a seat in the House of Commons, insists that Emmett needs to bring her home and present the image of a happy family on his campaign trail, so he heads to Sicily, not knowing why Clare left or what it will take to bring her back.
After two miscarriages,
Sydney
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book two in the Edwardian Heiress Series, Beneath an Italian Sky, is every bit as delightful as the first book in the series. It is written about an already married couple that due to some outside forces feel lonely. It’s about coming to truly know each other and gain independence from expectations and the push and pull of relatives. Readers will easily be able to relate to the characters and their struggles. This story is also fascinating in that it takes place in Italy during a huge and devast ...more
Paige Edwards
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well researched novel

Henrie does it again! Her tender love stories resonate with readers of all ages. Her Christian based characters will touch many.
Kathy
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written novel has complex characters that grow throughout the book. It evokes lots emotions as the characters struggle with life and tragedy and learning to communicate with each other. WONDERFUL!
Cathy
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The author did a really great job with her characters, settings, and the plot of this one. I loved the way I felt like I was in Italy during the Italian parts and especially the tension of the earthquake parts.

Let’s start with the characters. Our two main characters are Emmett and Clare. These two are newlyweds and they’ve had a bit of a misunderstanding, which was started and helped along by a jealous woman. It’s always sad to see love pushed aside by those types of things. A
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, clean; Period; series but standalone read. Mild Christian faith elements.
This is by far the best book by Stacy Henry that I have read so far. She always has gorgeous covers and her writing is good, this is definitely the best of all of her novels that I have reviewed.
Clare and Emmett are married and have been struggling to communicate, to mourn, to deal with Emmett's domineering father and the demands of his title and estate. His father and myriad other figures seem to be undermining th
Chanel Sharp
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, historical, romance
This one was a very good listen.
Mom and both agree it is rare to find a book with a married couple. They usually prearranged or forced marriage and the couple falls in love well being "stuck" together. This one was a bit different. The couple had fallen in love and the picked to become married to each other. The problem that has forced are couple to become distant from each other is a miscarriage. Another topic that is not talked about a lot in romance; yet frequently happens in relief. Mom and
Corey
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was well written and had well-developed characters and a storyline that is much cooler for having been based on real events. It was clean and had a happy ending. My complaints are that it felt a little slow at times and I thought it was a bit unrealistic that the orphaned child desperately mourned the loss of her brother but didn’t mention her parents at all.
Amy
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beneath an Italian Sky is part of the An American Heiress series. I enjoyed this historical. I found it tugging on my emotions at times. There was a tragedy that is just so heart breaking, I liked this story of forgiveness, letting go, and second chances.
I give Beneath an Italian Sky four and a half stars. Many readers who enjoy clean, historical fiction will not want to miss this one. It is definitely worth a read.
I received this book from the publisher, but was not required to write a review
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
BENEATH AN ITALIAN SKY is a story of a husband and wife who have lost themselves and their love amidst challenges and doubts, but still have hope in mending their relationship. It's set mostly in historical Italy before, during, and after the aftermath of a large earthquake, with flashbacks to their courtship and after their marriage in England. Readers will easily connect with these characters and have their hearts pulled on by this sweet story.

I really enjoyed these characters! Emmett was a li
Patti
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by author Stacy Henrie. The title and front cover were instant draws and I found the story of the 1908 earthquake in Sicily fascinating. This is part of the American Heiress series where wealthy ladies travel from the United States to England to find a husband. The magnet is money for the aristocratic British men, who may just need the added financial gain that these wealthy American women bring. For the Americans, they have a chance at gaining a coveted title. Sounds like ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• An Unwelcome Suitor (Entangled Inheritance #4)
  • A Proper Scandal
  • Discovering Grace (Inglewood, #2)
  • Upon My Heart Forever
  • Miss Adeline's Match
  • Suffering the Scot (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan #1)
  • Love in Disguise
  • The Solicitor's Son (Serendipity #3)
  • Engaging Sir Isaac (Inglewood #4)
  • The Masked Baron
  • Charlotte's Promise
  • A Guarded Heart
  • All For You (Pine Valley #8)
  • An Evening at Almack's
  • All Hearts Come Home for Christmas
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • Escape to Everly Manor
  • To Con a Gentleman (Dalton Family #1)
Stacy Henrie, a USA TODAY bestselling author, has always had a love for history, fiction, and chocolate. She earned her B.A. in public relations before turning her attentions to raising a family and writing inspirational historical romances. Wife of an entrepreneur husband and a mother to three, Stacy loves to live out history through her fictional characters. In addition to author, she is also a ...more

An American Heiress (3 books)
  • Night at the Opera (An American Heiress #1)
  • Among Sand and Sunrise (An American Heiress #3)