Start by marking “Salvaged” as Want to Read:
Salvaged

Salvaged

A WOMAN ON THE RUN. A CAPTAIN ADRIFT IN SPACE. ONE OF THEM IS INFECTED WITH AN ALIEN PARASITE.

In this dark science fiction thriller, a young woman must confront her past so the human race will have a future.

Rosalyn Devar is on the run from her famous family, the bioengineering job she's come to hate, and her messed-up life. She's run all the way to outer space, where she'
Expected publication: October 15th 2019 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Salvaged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvaged

Ann Aguirre
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazeballs, reviewed
Full disclosure: I received a copy of this book to be reading for a potential blurbed.

Readers, I blurbed it. And I don't blurb a lot of books.

I won't rehash plot details, as that's not how I review books. First, I'll provide the quote I sent:

"Salvaged is riveting and brutal, a study in scars. The masterful writing and bittersweet beauty of these characters will haunt you long after you finish reading."

TW: violence, sexual assault (off-page, backstory)

I devoured the first half of this book in a
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
There are so many reasons that I should I loved this book. As someone who loves science fiction and horror, I normally love books that blend the two genres together. This was still a decent science fiction thriller, but simply not the five star read that I hoped that it could be.

Even though Roux normally published young adult novels, this one certainly felt like an adult novel. The writing was quite strong with a good balance between dialogue, description and action. The characters were
Ninoshka
Jun 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-r-c
*this arc was given to me by netgalley in exchange for a honest review*

I don’t think that sci-fi is for me. There are a few books in the genre that I have really come to love, but others are just fine with me. When I first found out that Roux was coming out with a sci-fi novel, I was really excited to give it a try. I’m a huge fan of her House of Furies series and was really interested to see her take on this genre, plus to read her writing an adult novel.

I can honestly say this certain was inte
Virginia
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book!
The story follows Rosalyn, a salvager (aka corporate sponsored space janitor). Past events brought her to edges of space to a job she is technically overqualified for, but is on the brink of losing because she can't stop trying to drink bad memories away. Her "second chance" mission is to clean up a ship called The Brigantine where the crew has perished under bizarre circumstances. What she finds on that ship is horrifying and catapults her into a desperate journey of
Creager
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Even Space needs a janitor once and awhile. In Salvaged, Rosalyn Devar, is on the job with liquid courage. On her last forensic cleanup things didn't go so well and she only has one more opportunity to prove herself. When the latest call comes in for science spaceship the Brigantine, she is eager and sober. Once aboard things erupt with blue intensity as the science experiment has become self-aware, invades and corrals the remaining crew in a hive-like mind in service to the Mother. Rosalyn is f ...more
Amber (The Book Bratz)
Apr 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
This. Sounds. Amazing 😍
Eric
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm glad I finished the book, because it was a two-star book until about halfway through when it felt a little more immersive / cohesive. At first, it felt like scenes and characters were often... okay, so "shoehorned in" is way too strong a term, the author is clearly experienced and talented, but also to my experienced reader's eye, it was clear when an element was added in without sufficient context, to serve a specific purpose later. It broke the fourth wall a bit for me.

Additionally, maybe
Jordan Shiveley
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sophia Gourgiotis
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a book! Roux's "Salvaged" is VanderMeer's "Annihilation" meet "Alien." Salvaged focuses on a space scientist turned spaced janitor where she comes into contact with a crew overtaken by an alien parasite. Not only does she have to fight against this infestation she has to overcome her own history and personal demons (TW: violence, sexual assault (off-page, backstory)).

I was engrossed by this entire story. The descriptions of the infestation, intense fighting scenes, and the details of each o
Amy
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This stories main character, Roslyn, is a former scientist turned salvager due to a traumatic experience in her old job and she wanted to get away from it as much as possible. She tries to dispel those demons through alcohol and cleaning up wreckage or accidents up in space. When her drinking nearly gets her fired she is given one more chance to prove herself on a mission to clean up what could be the forth in a series of fatal expeditions.
When she arrives on the scene she quickly finds out tha
James Taber
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an Advanced Review Copy through NetGalley.

This was a fun read. It mixed the atmosphere of The Expanse with the classic science fiction horror styles of Ridley Scott and John Carpenter. The suspenseful nature of the story kept me engaged. Probably the most surprising part was the strength of the character stories that live at the heart of the book, with everyone's separate traumas leading to authentic moments of conflict and reconciliation. The pace was measured throughout—I never felt
Lauren
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book through a goodreads giveaway and was pretty excited to read it.

Overall, I enjoyed the plot. I would have enjoyed more character development and world-building, and maybe a little less focus on Rosalyn's "huge hazel eyes," which got old after the 17th time it was mentioned. I found the love story not especially believable, but perhaps I am a cynic. I also found that the ending was a bit too neat and tidy, especially given the enormous mess that had appeared just before the end. Pe
Nicole
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
Rosalyn, a former scientist turned space salvager (janitor) is sent on a routine cleanup mission to another ship, only to find out that the circumstances have drastically changed.

This novel is action packed with gripping scenes, espionage, and mind control. Rosalyn tries to remain in control, while also trying to get back on a safe ship—and the only way to do that would be to trust the enemy.

I found this book extremely well written and the idea was fresh. Thank he ending, however, felt flat an
James
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, horror
Rosalyn works as a salvager, a space janitor cleaning up ships that have run into problems on expeditions. She's taken the job as an escape from several bad situations, but soon runs into a worse one. The Brigantine, a ship with no life signs, reports life signs when the crew arrives and a horrifying fate has taken the crew and, if it escapes, the whole of humankind. A well-paced horror adventure story in space with some good twists.

[I received an advanced e-galley through Netgalley. The book i
Ryan Michael
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I won an ARC copy of this book. I have read all of Madeleine's books. She does not fail to impress with this book! I have enjoyed all of her previous books too. The story of a salvager's survival aboard a distressed ship taken over by a mysterious alien parasite in space is amazing. The book was hard to put down. The unique characters add to the great plot. It's a thrilling and suspenseful journey right up to the end. I highly recommend buying this book when it comes out this October!
Autumn
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
***I received an arc copy of this book through a giveaway on goodreads***

Overall, I liked the book and definitely think people will enjoy it as a one time read. The blend of sci-fi and horror made for a fun, quick story.

However, this book was a middle of the road book for me. There wasn’t anything about it that I absolutely disliked, but there wasn’t anything that I absolutely loved about the book either. It’s not a book that I think I will remember details about later on.
Tk
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
A smart, resourceful heroine will keep you interested. The all encompassing terror will keep you awake. Hope will see you through to the end.

There are a few holes, but they are easily overlooked when you are so intently worried about the characters and what happens to them.

Rosalyn is uniquely equipped to deal with the threat that Foxfire presents, and for humanity, it's lucky she is a survivor.
Cressa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I had high hopes for this book. I enjoyed it, however the ending completely ruined the book for me. I felt like the author took the easy way out. I also felt that we didn't get enough backstory on foxfire, It was obviously sentient. Where did it come from? All in all it was just lacking for me.
Allison
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this, because I had coincidentally just read another book (Aurora Rising) with a very similar space fungus motif.
Both were pretty good, though!
Angie Gaule
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not think I was going to become as obsessed with this book as I did. The characters are expertly drawn. They have real flaws that make them fully realized. The story line kept me guessing. The story built on itself until it came to a satisfying conclusion. This is one I will for certain read again, both for the excellent writing and to see what clues I may have missed.
Tracey
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Madeleine Roux writes fabulous books. I was intrigued to see this newest was a sci-fi instead of horror. The book takes a little while to get going but has so many subtleties scattered throughout that bring a breath of fresh air into the book.
Wendy Zuern
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I won this advanced copy on Goodreads. Sci-fi is not a genre I read very often, but I loved her zombie book Alison Hewitt is Trapped, so I entered the giveaway. The story was good, but I especially enjoyed the characters.
Debbie Schiedel
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very intriguing, well written read. The plot was thought provoking." What if?" Characters were well developed and multi dimensional. Always wondering what they would do next and what I would do in their situation. Would highly recommend for any scifi fan!
Meagan Hansen
This was a First reads win. This book blew me away. It was intense. I'm not usually one for scifi but Salvaged pulled me into a grip and wouldn't let go. The world, the characters, it's all so vividly written. I was on the Brigiatine with the crew.
Ms. Arca
SPACE. HORROR.

Sign me TF up!!
Carol Townsend
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not my 'normal' genre for books, but loved this story.. it hooked me and kept me reading into the wee hours of the morning, was hard to put down. Thanks for this good story
Jonathan Choi
Jun 02, 2019
Audrey
Jul 17, 2019
Vic
Aug 05, 2019
New York Times Bestselling Author of the ASYLUM series, Allison Hewitt Is Trapped, Sadie Walker Is Stranded and the upcoming House of Furies series.

MADELEINE ROUX received her BA in Creative Writing and Acting from Beloit College in 2008. In the spring of 2009, Madeleine completed an Honors Term at Beloit College, proposing, writing and presenting a full-length historical fiction novel. Shortly af