Start by marking “A Hawk in the Woods” as Want to Read:
A Hawk in the Woods

A Hawk in the Woods

When newscaster Abby Waite is diagnosed with a potentially terminal illness, she decides to do the logical thing… break her twin sister Martha out of prison and hit the road. Their destination is the Waite family cabin in Minnesota where Abby plans a family reunion of sorts. But when you come from a family where your grandfather frequently took control of your body during ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Word Horde

To ask other readers questions about A Hawk in the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Hawk in the Woods

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Working on this review today. I have to get my opinions and feelings sorted.
Emily
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Things always worked out for her, didn't they?"

3.5⭐

This is a difficult review to write. I absolutely loved the idea of this book. It sounded so fascinating, and I read it as soon as I got my hands on it. However, I struggled to connect to the story as a whole, and I wound up feeling like something was missing.

The story jumps back and forth between past and present. I enjoyed the scenes in the past much more than the present ones, and at times, it was a little confusing. Some characters were i
Jen (Book Den)
There's a lot to process in A Hawk in the Woods! I know I'll continue to think about it for quite some time. Books like this one tend to grow in my mind and in my heart as all of the pieces continue to meld together. It's a little bit like a movie you want to start back from the beginning once you have reached the end so you can experience it again knowing all of the secrets. (I'm feeling the exact same way about Jordan Peele's Us right now.)

A Hawk in the Woods is told through two different time
Joe Quenell
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It's getting a lot of raves, and while it did not necessarily wow me they way it has others, it's still an engaging read. I had the ending guessed with about a hundred pages left, but this did not keep it from feeling satisfying. There's plenty of great character building, some humor, a lot of weirdness, and a few dashes of gruesomeness. Carrie Laben will be a voice to pay attention to.
Max III
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laben’s a master of multiple styles; she can be weird when the story calls for it, and she can be heartwarming, and goddamn she can be hilarious. This is a fun book, make no mistake about it. She possesses the wonderful ability to make you cackle up one second then punch you into silence the next. I can’t wait to follow the rest of her career. Pick up A Hawk in the Woods today so you can say you’ve been reading her from the very beginning.

[full review on LitReactor]
Tenebrous Kate
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book delighted me in a ways that would compromise its surprises to explain in any depth. Suffice to say it’s a thoroughly modern family drama steeped in Lovecraftiana that turned my suspicion of that triple-play of stuff I generally don’t enjoy entirely inside out. Laben’s mastery of her craft is evident throughout, navigating between suspense, playfulness, grotesquerie, and sincerity to build a true page-turner of a first novel. I’m looking forward to see what she creates next!
Diamond
Abby Waite just got diagnosed with cancer, so she does the only logical thing, and breaks her twin sister Martha out of prison and they embark on a road trip to the old family summer cabin. Oh, and their family, the Waite's have a knack for mind control, posession, and a tendency to just not stay dead...

A Hawk in the Woods is told from Abby's perspective, and is probably now my favorite use of alternating timelines. Laben avoids copious amounts of exposition, and instead gradually gives glimpses
Lou
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Twins reunited, the Waite girls, a decade apart, on a road journey with strange folk song and wilderness things, possessing of a kind and changing of fates, a mysterious mystery with the hawks in the woods.
The twins dark past will be unveiled with some walking blindly, the narrative slowly burns into your psyche into its finality.

The outer, the apparent, twins looking alike and the Hawks, birds of prey, a beautiful species, and there is the creepy inner crafted by this author that has you eerily
Jordi
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping debut novel by the Shirley Jackson award-winning author Carrie Laben. What starts as a homage to “The Thing on the Doorstep” by Lovecraft, soon grows to be a powerful narrative of how destructive family ties can be.

Written in a direct and absorbent style, it reads both as a get-away story and as a super-natural thriller, where the possibilities of personality transfer in the original Lovecraft story are explored in sick directions - there's always a sense of wicked irony at the core
Matt
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-books
I was lucky enough to get to review this for High Fever Books, so I'll be giving them the more in depth review, however I wanted to add something here for this wonderful book about a very powerful family.

Carrie Laben's debut novel is an awesome look at family bonds, cancer, and magic. The way she expertly weaves the past and the present creates a twisting narrative that culminates into a crazy third act. It does take a little time to get used to how many secrets all of the characters have and ho
Jaq Evans
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clever, patient, and relentless. What a fun read!
William Gillespie