Start by marking “Crown of Bones” as Want to Read:
Crown of Bones

Crown of Bones

(Crown of Bones #1)

Raise. Your. Phantom.

In a world on the brink of the next Great Dying, no amount of training can prepare us for what is to come...

A young heir will raise the most powerful phantom in all of Baiseen.
A dangerous High Savant will do anything to control the nine realms.
A mysterious and deadly Mar race will steal children into the sea.
And a handsome guide with far too many secre
Published January 5th 2021 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Bones, please sign up.
A.K. Wilder I only just saw this question, and it is a good one. Thanks for asking!

I only just saw this question, and it is a good one. Thanks for asking!

Originally when the series was acquired, it was marked for the 2019 release. Then Macmillian, who is the distributor for EntangledTeen, shuffled things around. (there are a lot of reasons for these kinds of changes, what other titles are released at the same time etc). Then, it was slated for August 4th, 2020... But soon after, Stephanie Myer announced her release of Midnight Sun for that same date. When a title like Midnight Sun comes out, most bookshop shelf space is reserved for it so... the marketing team landed on January 5, 2021.

I apologize for the delay, and it is confusing, but that's publishing! :)

January 5th is it. No stopping this train now! (less)
A.K. Wilder Yes, I would say clean, though Ash does swear in other languages (not contemporary languages, but the ones I made up for this fantasy world).

So she m…more

So she might say, "Demon's stuggs!" when she's upset but there is no cursing we recognize. If that makes sense.

There is some nudity but not related to sex as we have a species of sentient beings that live in the sea. The nudity is not 'depicted' but words like breasts, naked, and 'not a stitch of clothing' are in there when referring to the sea-dwelling beings.

Is that what you mean?

Thanks for asking!(less)

Start your review of Crown of Bones
Lucie V.
Dec 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley (thank you Entangled Publishing). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Crown of Bones is a story of adventure, friendship, and romance. The magic-system is original and easy to understand. Savants can call forth a phantom, and as they gain power and mastery over their phantom, they acquire robes of different colors, brown being the lowest, then there is blue, green, yellow, orange, and red is the highest rank (except the black robes, but they are in
Shauni
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to Entangled Teen for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book has everything I look for in a YA fantasy. An unassuming yet charming MC who finds herself joining up with a band of quirky friends on a journey that turns out nothing like they expected. There's adventure on land and high-sea. A unique magic system, topped off with suspense and a budding romance.

The characters are well-developed and the world-building was easy to follow yet immersive. I really enj
A.K. Wilder
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy
This book is my heart. Waiting on more edits. So excited about the Cinco de Mayo release date!

Check the new site - akwilder.com> - for concept art, excerpts and all the behind the scenes goodies.

YES! You can throw the bones for a card reading too. :)

I can't wait to hear what you all think!

All paths are good,

xxAK
Celia McMahon
Thank you, Edelweiss and Entangled for the review copy :D

Crown of Bones gives us a unique fantasy where people called Savants are able to conjure familiar-type creatures called Phantoms. With a mix of Avatar and Final Fantasy, it packs a punch with its interesting spin on a world where magic collides with political intrigue.

But unfortunately, this book did not do it for me.

I struggled with this review a lot because I did not hate the book, but certain niggling things hindered my experience. On
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
so!! many!! stunning!! covers!! for 2020!!

also if they don't literally throw bones at least once in here I am going to be disappointed
J.M. Buckler
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

What a fun ride! Crow of Bones is a clean young adult read that keeps the reader guessing. I can spot a plot twist a mile away, but author A.K. Wilder’s clever writing acted as a blindfold. I never saw the jaw-dropping twists coming.

Though the author’s writing style catered toward the young adult genre, at times it felt restricted. Her new adult/adult background yearned to come out. The graphic combative scenes and sexual
Katie Prouty
Nov 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Remember to keep the company's number to five. In spite of the autumn chill, optimism wins out. Surprise comes from the sea. Don't resist it. When in doubt, go north. A sword brings truth and deception. Do not raise your phantom until safe on Aku."

Marcus Adicio, son of the Magistrate, Heir to the Throne, and a green-robed savant from Baiseen, on his initiation journey to the Isle of Aku. His warrior phantom has taken form, shared his name, and is more present. More real. Ash, the non-savant
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I feel like one of those people who run marathons. Or compete in triathlon's. Which, I guess, is a weird thing to say because I'm comparing people exercising to me reading the Crown of Bones. Then again, I was exercising my brain in order to understand everything that was happening within this book. It is still weird to state such a thing.. but this book took me forever to complete and I just think it would take me forever
Tricia
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fabulous debut YA epic fantasy adventure! The worldbuilding was top notch, a vast fantastical world that we've only just been introduced to. I'm super curious and excited to see even more of the inner depths explored in coming novels.

The characters were compelling and mostly multifaceted. I would have loved to see more past the surface on a few of the side characters, but we got a good feel for quite a few of them and that was nice. I think the alternating POV chapters helped us get
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crown of Bones was really interesting
Maria
Jan 02, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks for the free copy of Crown of Bones. All opinions are my own. The full review is available here.

The story follows Ash - a girl, seemingly without powers in a world of savants wielding phantoms, who's destined to record history but never make it, and Marcus - an heir to a throne threatened from all sides including from the inside. When Marcus is finally capable of summoning and holding to form his warrior phantom, they take the last chance travel to the island of Aku, where Marcus is to tr
biconique
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book through Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

~~
[September 29th, 2019]: this cover is literally the sexiest thing i've ever seen in my life ngl :o
Meigan
CROWN OF BONES was one of my most-anticipated 2021 releases, so my expectations were pretty high going in to this one. I'm happy to say that it delivered, though I must admit -- with a super interesting magic system, various realms on the brink of war, a hint of romance, and an amazing cast of characters, it was pretty much a guarantee that I would enjoy this one.

In this world, there are magic users called Savants that are classified by colors. Each color corresponds to a level of power, with re
Ellie Blackwood
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a YA fantasy about a young heir, Marcus, who must journey to the island of Aku to master his Phantom and prove himself (a Phantom is like an entity that is bound to you and you can call it to help you fight and stuff. Idk I’m probably butchering that explanation lol)

But wait! The story is ALSO about Ash, a lowly scribe who travels with Marcus to Aku in order to record his adventures and feats. But Ash is about to have an adventure of her own ... and learn she’s not as ordinary as she thi
Stephenie
"I exhale, and it comes out as a whistle. He blinks, but then a crooked smile tugs at his mouth. Oh, by the Deep, let the deck swallow me whole."

Crown of Bones is the first book in a new YA epic fantasy series that follows a group of friends and their journey from Baiseen to the Isle of Aku for the initiation trials.

Marcus is the heir to the throne of Baiseen, a green robe and he has selected his group of five to accompany him to Aku, where he hopes to earn his yellow robe. Ash, is his best frie
Christine Schlueter
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Crown of Bones is the first installment in A. K. Wilder's Crown of Bones series. Wilder has created a world of savants and phantoms, and creatures made to serve those who call them. Amassia is the third planet from the sun whose seven continents have, over millenniums, formed a single landmass surrounded by sea. *Think Earth before the continental drifts separated the 7 major continents we have today.*

*Full Review @ Gizmos Review
Christie«SHBBblogger»
DNF no rating

As much as I tried, I just couldn't get through this book. I kept putting it down and picking it back up in the attempt to engage with the story, but it just wasn't happening. I've read enough books to know when I'm trying to force things and that never works. I really hate giving up on an advanced copy, but sometimes we must wave the white flag.

Living My Best Book Life
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Crown on Bones is an amazing epic fantasy full of adventure, deception, and romance. This may be my first time reading A.K. Wilder, but it will not be my last.

I always get so excited to get immersed in a different world when I read YA fantasy novels. And boy did I feel that excitement and intrigue when I began reading Crown of Bones. From the very beginning, we meet Marcus and Ash. Marcus is the green-robe Heir to the throne of Baiseen and that comes with a lot of pressure. He has been struggli
Alison
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, review-copy
Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Pinterest

I received a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

Crown of Bones was a fun adventure that pulls inspiration from fantasy tropes while infusing new touches.

The pacing was little breakneck as if trying to squeeze as much story in as possible. Prophecy like declaration? Check. Quest/journey? Check. Trial at a special school? Check. It managed to cover a lot of ground but not quite as well as I would have liked. There was a lot of time spent on the
Tyffany
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin! :D

When Entangled Teen reached out to me and asked if I would like an ARC of this beautiful book, I wasn't really sure what to expect because I wasn't familiar with the author. But the cover is stunning and the concept drew my attention so I jumped on in.

And I'm SO glad I did.

Crown of Bones toes a careful line between YA and adult; the content is YA, with the exception of some brutal fight scenes (which tbh I'm all here for) but the worldbuilding is rich and deep, and more reminis
Richel (letsreadshallwe)
3.5 Stars

“But maybe he is just like this, enchanting, demonstrative, a handhold here, arm in arm there… Can it be more than play to him?”

Crown of Bones is the first book in the new fantasy series by A.K. Wilder that revolves around Marcus, a green-robe savant, Ash, a non-savant (or is she really?), Kaylin, the mysterious guide and other group of friends and their journey to The Sacred Isle of Aku - an island realm where all initiate savants go to for training and advancement.

The world of Crown o
Rachel Emily
WOW! I am clearly starting this year off strongly, because I thought this book was just fantastic!

Crown of Bones features some really excellent world building complete with its own language, history, and varied lands; a unique magic system that revolves around the ability to call your phantom - creatures that burst from the ground and can take on different qualities; and a great group of characters. I really enjoyed the set up, I thought the pace was pretty steady throughout, and I loved how eve
Nicole (FearYourEx)
3/5 stars

Thank you to Entangled Teen for sending me an early copy for review.

I have mixed feelings about this book, part of me wanted to give it 4 stars, BUT the beginning of the book had me super confused. When I first started the book it felt like I was just thrown in with little to no world building. Eventually things started to make sense and the author throws in the world building as you go.

I enjoyed the characters that we got POVs from: Ash, Marcus, Kaylin, and Salila. The rest of the char
Bookish Heidi
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure! I didn't want to put this book down. I didn't want to miss out on any of this amazingness! I'm sad that it's over with and can't wait for the next book... I got serious HP patronus vibes and the writing is absolutely wonderful!

Marcus, the Heir of Baiseen, must journey to Aku to train to receive his yellow robes and prove to his father that he is worthy of taking over his kingdom. He must be able to control his phantom and so far, he can barely hold it to form. Ash, his scribe
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Almost a year ago, I saw the cover for A.K. Wilder’s Crown of Bones. The cover is beyond amazing and piqued my interest. I read a deleted scene on the author’s website and had to know what a phantom was and what it actually meant to raise your phantom. When it came time to read the book, I forgot to read the blurb and thus had no idea what I was in for.

Crown of Bones is definitely an adventure. A.K. did an incredible job of world-building. She’s created this fantasy world on the continent of Ama
Alyson Kent
I struggled rating this one, because I enjoyed it and I loved the world building. But the characters just felt a little too one dimensional to me, especially since there are multiple first person POVs. There were times I'd forget which character was narrating and had to go back to check the person listed on the chapter title. Still, I do want to see what happens next, and I'm fascinated by the whole savant/phantom system.

It would have been a solid four star read, but there's also the fact that
Michelle
Crown of Bones is the first book in the young adult fantasy series, called Amassia by author A.K. Wilder. I loved this book so so much. I don't even think I can adequately convey how deeply I loved Crown of Bones. We are so early in 2021 that to simply say it is the best book I have read all year does not hold much weight. But believe me when I say, I know it will be one of the best books I read all year. Because it is one of the best fantasy worlds and stories that I have ever read. (And I have ...more
Jessica Reads It
Crown of bones is one of the best books I have read for 2020. I have never heard of A.K. Wilder before but she is definitely on my radar now. Wilder managed to achieve synergy with her characters and storyline that provided quite an exquisite reading experience.

Crown of Bones was a prodigious tale of adventure, friendship, and romance. Crown of bones was a fresh and unique fantasy world with non-stop action that captivated me from the very first page.

I adored the story of this band of misfits,
Caroline
3.5 stars. Crown of Bones tells the story of a group on a journey to reach the Sacred Isle of Aku where initiate savants train their inner phantoms, but unrest in the realms threatens their success. There are three main POV characters. Ash, a non-savant scribe with a mysterious voice in her head, is tasked to record savant training. Marcus, Heir to throne of Baiseen, struggles to control his warrior phantom and his inner rage. Kaylin, a sailor with mysterious motivations, becomes the group’s gui ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Escaping Eleven (Eleven Trilogy, #1)
  • A Curse of Roses
  • The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • Namesake (Fable, #2)
  • Lore
  • Of Wicked Blood (The Quatrefoil Chronicles, #1)
  • The Afterlife of the Party (Afterlife, #1)
  • The Silence of the Girls
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • Tarnished Empire (Dark Shores #0.5)
  • The Song of Achilles
  • Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)
  • Haven
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • The Blood in the Beginning (Ava Sykes, #1)
  • Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • In the Penalty Box
Kim, born in the time of Gemini, is a fifth-generation decedent of the Wilders of Santa Cruz. In the spirit of adventure, she moved to Australia in 1981 and has lived there ever since.

She writes Epic Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Science Fantasy and Urban Fantasy under her birth name Kim Falconer.

The pen name A. K. Wilder is for her Young Adult books, a name chosen to honor the original custodians

Crown of Bones (2 books)