Start by marking “Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)” as Want to Read:
Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)

Daughter of Ancients

(The Bridge of D'Arnath #4)

In Avonar, Gerick investigates the ancient king D'Arnath's own daughter, held captive by the Lords of Zhev'Na for a thousand years-or so she claims. Entangled in bonds of love, family, and secrecy, Gerick unravels the mysteries of ancient kings, ancient evil-and the dreadful truth of his own destiny.
Published September 6th 2005 by Roc (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Daughter of Ancients, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daughter of Ancients

Start your review of Daughter of Ancients (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #4)
Kathi
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A very strong ending to a wonderful series. Berg has created a marvelous trio of worlds, populated them with a variety of nuanced characters, and woven them into a complex tale of magic, power, politics, love, betrayal, loyalty, change, and trust. While it appeared there was perhaps little more to say at the end of the third book in the series, Berg capped it off with this fourth book that truly brings the story to a fitting conclusion.
David
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I almost don't feel like I should rate and review this book because it feels like my experience was tainted by things that may or may not be the fault of the book. I rate and review everything I read though, so I ended up breaking down and doing so. Anyone who is a fan of the basic high fantasy should ignore me right off, because I'm not big into it. I'm also not big into series books in general, much less wandering into the fourth book in a series without having read the first three. However, a ...more
Morgan
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a very good series.
Anant
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
As I was coming to the close of this book, I was telling myself, wow Carol Berg did it again. She writes such deep characters, and just gets the human condition. The Rai-Kirah trilogy was my introduction to Ms. Berg, after which I did not pick up another series by her, because I was saving her for a rainy day.

Well, the rainy days came and I dove into this series with complete confidence that it will be time well spent.

By the time we begin the fourth book, it is an interesting juncture in the se
Samaganda
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These are currently my favorite fantasy books (with the possible exception of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series--I'm still deciding on that). But I love this series. The writing is excellent, the characters admirable. I love Seri--a strong female heroine who (usually) resists being TOO idylic. Mostly, though, I love the plotting. They move quickly, with plenty of action, but there's no sense that things just can't work out for these characters, and there are enough triumphs along the way to k ...more
Mary Soon Lee
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the final book of Carol Berg's Bridge D'Arnath fantasy quartet, and I found it bittersweet to be approaching the end of my time with these characters. I am particularly fond of Paolo, but also found Gerick and Karon very good characters. During the first three books I didn't like Seri as much as I know I was meant to, but in this book I warmed to her more. I also liked the addition of Jen to the story. The book contains many grim sequences, which engrossed me without actually upsetting m ...more
Alexa
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book better than the 2nd & 3rd ones, I really didn't know where the 3rd one was going, here there seemed to be more purpose, a better defined plot but still with lots of twists & turns. I suppose for me everything came together & made sense in this book. Loved it & I always enjoy Carol Berg, she just has such a fantastic imagination. I feel sad to be leaving The Bridge of D'Arnath, Gerrick & Seri behind which of course is always a sign of a good book. ...more
Brenton
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A pretty exciting conclusion to the series, I would say. Like previous books, it contained its share of deus ex machina moments for both character development and laws-of-physics-defying actions, but having come to expect that I didn't find it as perturbing as in The Soule Weaver. I wasn't quite as fond of Gerrick this time around, but other characters made up for it. I'm a little bit sad the series ends here, it's a very intriguing world.
Jamie
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book dos for me what Soul Weaver did not- capture me from page one. I'll admit to having been peeved when Berg introduced one of the 2 new main characters. Don't ask me why- I don't know. This book felt more complete to me than Soul Weaver. The ending was perfect- couldn't have asked for a better end for the series. I only wish the Singlars and the Bounded had played a larger role after being introduced in the last book.
Joy
Feb 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Last book of a reasonably good story. Well written if a bit slow. No graphic sex or over done violence so excellent for YA. Has characters with many flaws that get in their way and that they overcome so aren't the traditional one dimensional S&S types. Strong female characters along with sensitive men plus people you just want to kill. ...more
heardtheowl
Sep 28, 2009 marked it as unfinished
I had this book from the library but had to return in on interlibrary loan. Someday I'll get it back so I may finish the series. Anything by Carol Berg is worth reading. One of my favorite authors ever!
Nicholas Barone
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good conclusion to a very good series. While the plots of the four books in the series are good, it is the characters and there development that make this series shine. Daughter of Ancients does a great job of completing Gerrick's growth and bringing his story to a satisfying conclusion.
Michael
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
A fine finish to a solid series, I admit I will miss several of these characters. Berg's talent for storytelling is surpassed only by her ability to create believable characters whose flaws make them dynamic and beautiful.
Chelle
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are some books whose endings leave you in awe of their perfection. This is one of them. The way the series ties up is just absolutely brilliant. I don't have enough words to express it.

I'm only saddened that this series is not more popular.
Diane
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a wonderful conclusion to the series. I was really glad to see that all the loose ends were cleared up and that Gerrick was finally able to find happiness. I think Carol Berg is a super writer and look forward to reading her next series.
Kirsten Bailey
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
A great ending to the series. In the earlier books when we were first getting to know Gerick, I wasn't that interested - I wanted to get back to Seri & Karon's story. I LOVED reading about Gerick in this book. Things were tied up nicely, and it was a satisfying end to a great series. ...more
Denise
Jun 25, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
A disappointing end to a good series; it was the first one in the series where I could see the ending coming like a Mack truck.
Poppy
Jul 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
SPOILER ALERT

Yeeeesssssss!!!! She FINALLY lets her character die. He's only been trying since the first book in the series....
Mike Salzman
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent end to a good series. 10 times better than the third book.
tinabot
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There's a really awesome girl character in this story that really made the story great.
Seloy
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fantasy
I really liked this book, although it was very different than the first three. I like how the story kinda got crazier and crazier and nothing was as it seemed. I drew a lot of fanart for this one.
Stephanie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2012, fantasy
Great ending to this series! I cried at the end, it was so sad and beautiful, even just thinking about that certain part makes me tear up!
Marilyn
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect series for my tastes. Mature main characters along with other age groups. Character driven. Dark parts not overly done.
Christine
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great finish to this series; highly recommended
Kiss Villegas
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to a great series!
David Phipps
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
Better than the last book but mostly on par with the rest of the series. Overall a good fantasy series but not one that would be a favorite for me.
Traci Loudin
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The somewhat slow middle books were totally worth it for this finale. Do read.
Sara
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Completely. Amazing.
Miquela
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
3.5 stars because I thought the ending was really good.
Lisa
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I enjoyed the other books in this series, but this one just bored me. I put it down.

• The Oracle's Queen (The Tamír Triad, #3)
  • The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
  • Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5)
  • Invader (Foreigner, #2)
  • Dungeon World (Dungeon World #1)
  • Tree Dungeon (Divine Seed, #1)
  • The Original
  • Hunters Unlucky
  • The Hero and the Crown (Damar, #2)
  • Equillian's Key (Archives of the Night-Watchers Book 1)
  • The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • Kushiel's Avatar (Phèdre's Trilogy, #3)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
  • Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection
  • Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)
  • The Spider's War (The Dagger and the Coin, #5)
Carol Berg is the author of the epic fantasy
The Books of the Rai-kirah, The Bridge of D'Arnath Quartet, the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award winning Lighthouse Duet - Flesh and Spirit and Breath and Bone - the standalone novel Song of the Beast , and the three novels of the Collegia Magica.

Berg holds a degree in mathematics from Rice University, and a degree in computer science from the University of

The Bridge of D'Arnath (4 books)
  • Son of Avonar (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #1)
  • Guardians of the Keep (The Bridge of D'Arnath, #2)
  • The Soul Weaver (The Bridge of D'arnath, #3)

News & Interviews