Start by marking “Dramarama” as Want to Read:
Dramarama

Dramarama

Two theater-mad, self-invented fabulous Ohio teenagers. One boy, one girl. One gay, one straight. One black, one white. And SUMMER DRAMA CAMP. It's a season of hormones, gold lame, hissy fits, jazz hands, song and dance, true love, and unitards that will determine their future--and test their friendship.
Published May 1st 2007 by Hyperion Books

To ask other readers questions about Dramarama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dramarama

Start your review of Dramarama
lucky little cat
So what happens when you finally escape your small-minded high school for the glories of drama camp, you large-souled drama person, you?

Well, it should turn out perfectly of course. Except what if it doesn't, or at least not the way you planned?

(view spoiler)

If you're Sadye, the
Kevin Fanning
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I debated 4 or 5 stars-- it's not as good as Frankie Landau-Banks, but it still basically took me apart. I mean I read it while I was stuck in an airport on my birthday, so emotions were pretty close to the skin, but still. Loved it. If you did drama in high school you have no business not reading this.

One thing I DO want to say though: E. Lockhart (and other YA authors) does this thing in more than one book: main character writes or records her negative feelings about a certain other person,
Flannery
This book is the equivalent of meeting a really cute guy at a party, chatting and dancing for the night, then when it all comes down to it, he comes in to kiss you and throws up in your face. Er, what I imagine it would be like because it hasn't happened to me.

By that analogy, I mean that I was along for the ride and I was enjoying myself and then the plot turned to total sh&^ and I hated pretty much everyone, the second half of the plot, and I hated the ending (can we say depressing
Fatesocruel
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Dramarama, I have decided that I really, truly like E. Lockhart’s writing. I enjoyed The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, and I absolutely loved this. I like that all of her characters have deep, consistent flaws that affect everything they do, that not everything works out into a neat package for them, and that they are strong despite, or because, of it.

This book is about my people, and it was incredible to see how much of my life is in those pages (and it means
Tatiana
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2009
This is a book about Sarah (aka Sadye) - a girl whose ambitions are too big for her small and conventional Ohio town. Her life just doesn't have that razzle-dazzle that she craves. She dreams of being special, noticed, a center of attention. She thinks musical theater is the place where she rightfully belongs. However, after spending a summer at a drama camp, Sadye realizes that her talents are not adequate to her ambitions. The gap between her and her more talented friends widens and she finds ...more
Liz B
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
After abandoning the Brilliance Audio craptastic recording:

No star rating. I abandoned it because of the horrors of the reader. They hired a Broadway actress and she read like she was emoting to the 50th row. Also, imagine a small squeaky blonde (think "Popular" from Wicked) trying to voice a gay black teenage boy.

Altogether yikes.

I'm loving E. Lockhart these days, so I'll probably give the actual book a try.

After reading the book:

This review is nothing but spoilerific.

Be warned.

Arrrrrrgh. I
Lisa
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow, as a self proclaimed theatre geek and drama teacher, I completely adored this book from beginning to end. It was charming, cute, current, relevant, refreshing, and honest, infused with fun references to Broadway musicals, theatre facts, and approaches to acting.

But theatre is really just the backdrop here: switching between the first person narration of the main character Sadye and transcripts of voice recordings between Sadye and her friends as they document a summer at drama camp,
Nav 💁🏾
I really enjoyed reading this book! Dramarama is full of excitement, new friendships and of course drama!

The book follows Sadye over one summer as she auditions at and then goes on to attend a summer drama camp.

From the outset, I really liked Sadye and Demi's friendship - in particular how supportive and encouraging Demi was to Sadye after just their first time talking to each other.

Whilst I liked Sadye and Demi's friendship, I wasn't too sure if I actually liked Sadye herself in the beginning.
Gabby
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars - I couldn't decide whether I wanted to give it 4 or 5 stars, so I had to settle...

My full review will be up on my blog next Sunday:
alwaysandforeverreading.wordpress.com
♡Ann  Matalines♡
The Dilemma :That’s why in the car, I said Demi needed to find love. Looks, brains, money, talent: everything else, he already had.

By reading this book you expected:
(1) Drama
(2) Pretense
(3) Glam
(4) Theatrical(lots of it)

Sarah wants to escape the mundane life of a teenager. She wants to go bolder. Thus, she changes her name into Sadye, befriended Demi, and leaves her fake friends. I can't decide if Demi made Sarah better or worse. They want the spotlight (crave it). She is very ambitious that I
Loeka
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I read this book in one day, the day after I bought it. And even though I don't know anything about theatre or stuff like that, I loved every part of it.
Jami
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Oh, E. Lockhart, I hate to say I was a bit disappointed in you. After reading your The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver series and The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, I truly thought you could do no wrong. Let's just chalk this up to an early attempt and promise not to go back there, shall we?

And honestly, I didn't hate this book. I was still pretty solid writing, unique plot and characters, and a strong protagonist voice. It just
Meg
Jan 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This is probs a three-star review but I knew I would have to give this book four stars the second I read the Bob Cuccioli reference. We all have our own rubrics. I guess the extra star is for Knowing Your Audience.

This is probably the second-best E. Lockhart book I've read. It's not as smooth as Frankie Landau-Banks, but it's getting there! And the subject matter is near and dear to my heart so I raced right through it. I really admire Ms. Lockhart's ability to let her characters (a) be wrong
Megan
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Cute, quick read but somewhat forgetable.

We follow Sayde through about a year of her life, with a very large focus on her summer at musical theater camp. I love that Sayde is flawed, makes mistakes and has insecurities ~ but I don't love that her conflicts are never resolved. Dramarama reaches a certain climax at camp then just... quits. Well, it doesn't literally quit. The reader stays with Sayde through her senior year and leaves her in the first few weeks of summer. At the point, we are left
Amanda
Can E.Lockhart write a bad book? I don't think so. She's so good at characters, particularly girls, but all characters in general.

Also, if you love musical theatre, you HAVE to read this book! You will love it. I watched Grease & Grease 2 this arvo and plan on having a musical-viewing day tomorrow.
rye
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
this was so much fun!

-Overall, Dramarama was a great read. I loved all of the diversity and friendship within the novel. At first, it caught me off guard since I assumed there would be lots of drama. But there wasn't really. For the entire first half of the novel friendship was the key point which I loved.
-Demi & Sadye's little recordings were very enjoyable and a nice break from the main story. There wasn't any chapter so it was nice to have those little breaks.
-All of the theater
Bexa
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
As a person who in high school loved musicals and theatre and wanted nothing more then to be on stage and didn't because I had no talent, or at least not the talent needed to get on stage, this book seemed perfect.

I loved the whole start of this. I loved the discussion of music and theater and dance and all that jazz. It was perfect, the characters were great, I wanted it all. I was even on Sayde's side with her fighting with the directors. And then, that ending, that stupid ending "you
Millie May
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: drama lovers
3.5 stars!!

It was a good book - but it just wans't the greatest book I have ever met.

It had a lot of potential it just felt as if it was too short. Characters were only half explained and a whole summer plus a year were explained in less than 300 pages.

I loved all of the musical theatre references and how relatable for me as a drama student studying similar things to whats in this book.

Its an easy acquired type of writing. Don't get me wrong - E.Lockhart wrote my favourite book ever "We Were
Patty Zuiderwijk
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story: 4/5 Girl finally finds a best friend with whom she loves to be herself. They both adore musical theatre and try to get in a special summer school program. During this program they might find out they're not as much alike as they thought they were...

Characters: 4/5 Teenagers, but they really want to make the best decisions for everyone. Annoying every now and then? Yes, but not in an annoying way.

Writing: 4/5 Want to read more E. Lockhart books!

Reread: Yes! Really enjoy a solid
Kerrie
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I expected to like this book because my son is a drama kid. I didn't expect it to be so good. It really gives the reader a look at what it's like for theater kids. I enjoyed it because I could relate to it, at least from a parent's viewpoint and what my son tells me about it all. The characters were believable and I liked that Sadye tells it first person and we can see the struggles she is going through. We see her perspective on things and then how the other kids view her. Very interesting. I ...more
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
Not as good as E. Lockhart's other offerings unfortunately! It was okay, a good holiday read, but I wouldn't come back to it again. Also the ending was very disappointing, and not exactly happy which was weird? Not for me!
Zarina
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review first appeared on my blog: http://www.pagetostagereviews.com/201...

Sarah and Douglas, better known as Sadye and Demi, are two best friends in a tiny town who love everything to do with theatre. They watch endless musicals together, singing along and re-enacting the most famous scenes, have tons of stagey in-jokes, and audition together for a special summer camp dedicated to theatre. They both get in and couldn't be happier to finally get away from the nothingness of their home town, and
Sophie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars*

Not my favourite E Lockhart but still fun, empowering and full of heart.
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten!

E. Lockhart is like my YA queen. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks helped me define myself as a feminist and a woman, the Ruby Oliver series is sweet as candy with so much heart it hurts yours, and Fly on the Wall was... okay. Dramarama marks me reading all her backlist novels and it was a good note to end that journey on considering I have an ARC of her next novel I'm planning to read soon. Dramarama is exactly as dramatic as it sounds, but
Faith
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
coral4 - CROPPED

AHHH I WISH I WAS A TALENTED MUSICAL THEATRE ARTIST!!

I will just have to sadly remain as theatre geek who cannot reach the high notes.

This book playfully combines the free-spirited, accepting and fun-loving elements of the musical theatre world with also inevitable jealousy and competitive aspects you just cannot avoid.

Sayde and Demi are both excited when they are accepted at Wilewood's theatre summer camp. They both come from boring small towns and this camp provides them everything they want -

Margaret H. Willison
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mara
Feb 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Rosanna Threakall
I thought this would be my fav book of the year so far but it was merely meh :(
Heather
Sep 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Like all of Lockhart’s books, Dramarama tackles issues relating to individuality and self discovery. At the start, we are introduced to Sarah aka, Sayde and her best friend Demi. Sayde and Demi have dynamic and dramatic personalities with larger than life dreams for themselves and their futures. Discontent with their small town life, they will do anything they can to get away from the monotony that fills their lives. With their love of all things Broadway, Sayde and Demi audition for a chance to ...more
Alexis
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, E. Lockhart is certainly good at creating characters whose strong personalities, strident beliefs and whirring brains are compelling and totally realistic, but simultaneously SO UNCOMFORTABLE. (Especially in that maybe I identify with them a bit more than I would like, at least in terms of seeing problems and wanting to FIX them, even if that isn't the best thing for the whole.) Sadye was an entirely different beast than Frankie Landau Banks, but her positioning as the odd-girl-out in an ...more

• Oh My Gods
  • Fierce Fragile Hearts (Beautiful Broken Things, #2)
  • The Bermudez Triangle
  • The Unpredictability of Being Human
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Girl in the Window
  • Girlhood
  • Pink
  • Meat Market
  • The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods
  • Wild
  • Verstrikt
  • Girl at Sea
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • What Magic Is This?
  • The Black Flamingo
  • The Wrong Train
  • Breven från Maresi (Röda klostret, #3)
E. Lockhart is the author of Genuine Fraud, We Were Liars, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, The Boyfriend List and several other novels.

website: www.emilylockhart.com
Liars site: www.wewereliars.com
blog: www.theboyfriendlist.com
Twitter: elockhart
“I'd never seen a guy my own age play the piano. It was like sex and musical theatre fused together.” 20 likes