Start by marking “Red/Tokyo Storm Warning” as Want to Read:
Red/Tokyo Storm Warning

Red/Tokyo Storm Warning

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Brings us a stark tale of revenge, as retired CIA killer Paul Moses finds himself forced back into the game to gain revenge on the agency that trained him.
Published June 1st 2004 by Wildstorm

To ask other readers questions about Red/Tokyo Storm Warning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red/Tokyo Storm Warning

Jesi
Best thing I can say about this? "It was pretty." The illustrations were appealing to me, and consistently so. None of the characters were drawn doing things that weren't in keeping with the story or character portrayal. Worst thing I can say about it? Red had no real plot or reason for being, and TSW made no damn sense.

I got this because I really enjoyed the movie RED. In retrospect, I should have just left good enough alone and not attempted to "find out more" by reading the graphic novel. The
Irene Lazlo
El segundo cómic por Warren Ellis que leo. Me pasó lo mismo que con Mek, me pareció que la historia hubiera dado para un tomo el doble de largo por lo menos, en tan pocas páginas queda un poco apretada. La historia en sí está bien y es entretenida, una mezcla entre Gozilla y Evangelion. El estilo de las ilustraciones me llamó mucho la atención, sobre todo los colores. Consiguen que los robots y maquinarias se conviertan en objetos muy bonitos de ver, y no creo que sea fácil.
Los cómics de "mecha
Jukka Kuva
Feb 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Tokyo Storm Warning is Ellis' take at mecha combat in the style of Neon Genesis Evangelion and such. The idea is very used and the plot doesn't offer much either in the first issue. During the other two issues however Ellis manages to twist the plot just enough to make this comic worth your time. Raiz and Currie try really hard to ruin this comic by drawing half of the boxes so badly you have to really try to see what's going on.

This is definitely the worst Ellis comic I've read so far but it's
Gavin
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
This is solely a rating for Tokyo Storm Warning. Red I rated on it's own.
I did not enjoy anything about this. It just felt like a silly exercise in trying to draw a magna style mech-bot combat book. That's not something I would have any interest in, and had it not been tied to the fine 'Red', I'd never have wasted my time.

Not the best, and when paired with a far superior book, shows how weak it is.
Travis
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Two of Warren's movie pitches disguised as comic books are collected in this volume.
Red is a great action thriller about a retired government killer forced out of retirement. Which means a whole lot of people are going to die.

Tokyo Storm Warning is a big epic giant monsters vs giant robots romp. Ending is a bit abrupt, but you never watch a Godzilla movie for the writing, so I won't complain too much.

Both are fun reads and would make great movies.
Cale
Jun 10, 2012 added it
Picked it up at 1/2 Price Books on Clearance - I'm sure I've read it before, but I didn't remember Tokyo Storm Warning at all. Interesting take on Godzilla and Mechs, although Ellis revisited this topic more interestingly in Planetary. But as a bonus, this also includes the original Red series that got made into a movie. The comic is much darker and action-packed, although I enjoy both.
Darryl
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Disappointed in Red. Loved the movie but the book was basically a blood and gore fest.

More pleased with Tokyo Storm Warning than expected. Main character and milieu interesting but the story was way too short and the ending pretty cheesy.
Juozas Šalna
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
the ending redeems this series.
Bill
Oct 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Sweet. Ellis delivers two short, punchy narratives. Red, especially, delivers.
Andre
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
2 very short stories that are, overall, simplistic and not very engaging.
The Miracle Man
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book a lot. But then I was always a fan of Warren Ellis's writing. I enjoy a lot of his stuff.
Todd Dyck
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • Toriko, Vol. 02
  • Adventures of Dr. McNinja: Night Powers
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 25: Fox Hunt (Usagi Yojimbo, #25)
  • The Book of Leviathan
  • New X-Men, Volume 5: Assault on Weapon Plus
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Heart of Empire, or The Legacy of Luther Arkwright  (Luther Arkwright, #2)
  • Bloody Monday Vol. 2
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 3
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 4
  • The Best American Essays 2004
  • Marvels: Eye of the Camera
  • Infinite Kung Fu
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...