Start by marking “Touch of Smoke” as Want to Read:
Touch of Smoke

Touch of Smoke

Three years ago, Rikki Albemarle watched her best friend die at the hands of a supernatural evil. Certain she was slated to be the next victim, Rikki fled her small Smoky Mountain hometown, vowing to never come back. Plagued by nightmares and knowing she's the only one who believes Mina's death was no accident, Rikki returns with hopes of finding answers and holding the ki ...more
Kindle Edition
Published February 12th 2019 by Red Adept Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Touch of Smoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch of Smoke

Yodamom

An intelligent romance with a paranormal twist and wonderful well developed characters. A romance, with characters that I couldn't help but love. Owen, he's ex military, looking to settle down in a small town after a long tour. He meets a local girl Rikki, a hard working goal orientated woman, with dreams beyond the town. They click, a romance begins but that is only a small part of the story. Nothing was predictable, the plot, the characters, the outcome.

What a ride ! The story was a slow buil
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

This book from start to finish was absolutely brilliant, I loved every minute of it.

I loved everything about this book, the story, the characters, the writing.
The book had everything I personally like in a book, action, lots of humor and snark, the right amount of romance, great supporting characters and plot twists.

About half or more of the book we get dual timelines. Present time and three

Topsues
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing. Intense, Spellbinding. Emotionally-Engrossing & Utterly Compelling. Karissa Laurel has once again penned a mysterious, seize you by the throat, until the very last heart-wrenching page novel. This is so much more than a romance book, this is a Love Story that has been carefully created with a cast of intricately drawn characters. The author masterfully draws all the supernatural threads together, so you can feel the very building blocks slotting into place, building the layers an ...more
Dianne
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rikki was determined to leave her small town and get an education. She never expected to fall for the handsome and mysterious Owen, nor did she think she would watch her best friend die at the hands of a monster…so she ran. For three years she stayed away, nightmares of the monster with the flaming eyes, but it was time to come home and face her demons and uncover the truth, no matter what. Even if it meant facing Owen once again.

Karissa Laurel’s TOUCH OF SMOKE is spellbinding, intriguing and cl
Shanannigans
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's has been a long time since I've had a book boyfriend, but I am proud to say, sexy. mysterious, possibly not even human, "Owen Amir" is my new book boyfriend!

I loved his character! In fact, I loved everything about this book! I liked that while it is considered an urban fantasy, it is more urban than fantasy. But let me tell you, when the magic kicks in, it's a doozy!

Another thing I loved about this book was that it was steeped in Islamic mythology. If you are a fan of Karissa's books, then
Tricia
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"A girl doesn't fall in love with the devil and come away unscarred... "

Well I'm officially a goner, Karissa Laurel has done it again. I'm over the moon for Owen and Rikki. TEAM OWKI 4 LIFE.

Owen definitely brought the heat, but he was actually very sweet too. I appreciated how endlessly patient he was with Rikki. He was a take charge kinda guy but he always let Rikki set the pace and call the shots. It was refreshing. I feel like so often you see that Alpha male type be overbearing and consta
Elaine
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Touch of Smoke was a great read. It was my first book by Ms. Laurel and I loved it. I loved all of the characters (especially Owen - he has such an interesting personality, it was infectious. I basked in it.) and so much happened to all of them in this book! The plot was great - every important scene led to another, the fighting scenes were amazing, the magic and mythology were interesting... The book was different, entertaining, and kept my attention. I love stories about magic in a modern sett ...more
Bianca78
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After a three-year absence, Rikki Albemarle is returning to her hometown in the Smoky Mountains. And there’s gonna be a reckoning. Rikki’s life has gone off the rails. She knows she needs answers. Unfortunately for her, the answers can only be found in the town she swore she was leaving behind. Rikki’s desperation leads her to confront everything she wanted to bury. Touch of Smoke is the new standalone paranormal romance novel by author Karissa Laurel.
You know when you’re wholly engrossed in a
Cocktails and Books
3.5 Cocktails

I liked it. A paranormal twist on an otherwise small town, second-chance romance.

Full review to come.
LORRIE
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an exciting, mysterious and scary story.
Jessica Bronder
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rikki Albemarle had plans to get out of town and get an education when she was done with high school. But things went sideways and she watched her best friend killed by a monster. She was afraid for her life and ran and told herself that she would never come back. Three years later she knows there is evil in town and she is determined to stop it. To do so she will have to face Owen Amir.

Owen is a solder that once had Rikki’s heart. Rikki is torn when she thinks about him but knows that she is go
Nia Ireland
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was the answer to all of my angsty romantic dreams.

Rikki, the heroine of the story, is a young woman with intimacy problems after the death of her father and dreams of becoming a nurse, she works every hour possible to make this dream come true and not to let her past get in the way of her future. She’s very easy to sympathise with, trying to keep people at arm’s length and focusing on the things that she can control rather than the things she can’t.

Her master plan is messed up when Ow
Jessica
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just... wow. I just finished this book and I am still trying to wrap my mind around the ending - in the best way!

Touch of Smoke introduces the reader to a nursing student (Rikki) and a former soldier (Owen) in a story with a little bit of magic and a lot of “will they, won’t they?” That is so bare-bones, but I don’t want to give any of the plot away! So many things happened during the story that I wasn’t expecting, or that happened in a way I wasn’t expecting, and that also made it a fun r
Denise Belt
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rikki was devastated when her best friend Mina died, and she blamed herself. Instead of facing reality she did the next best thing and ran with the thought of never returning home. After three long years, Rikki returns home with the intent of facing the monster she blames for the death of her friend and all the heartache she has encountered.

Owen and Rikki have tangible chemistry that leaves you wanting more. The book alternates between the present and the past as you piece together the mystery o
Jessica Rachow
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-read-2019
I can’t remember the last time a character made me swoon, but Owen is just…WOW. I love everything about his character. Rikki is also fantastic. The romance aspect of Touch of Smoke is everything I wanted it to be. What I loved most about it was that while the romance is really well developed there is so much more to this story.

This book has everything. Layers of twists throughout the entire book. The mystery was so well crafted that I had no idea what was going on until it was finally revealed.

T
Charlie Moody
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I generally don’t write reviews because I suck at them but this book was lovely and exciting and... sigh... soooo wonderful.
Breane Ross
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received an arc from netgalley. Thoroughly enjoyed this paranormal. Definitely recommend it.
Christy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is terrific! I couldn't get enough of Owen and Rikki's story. It is a great book and I wished it had given us a more of a glance at the future with them at the end.
Rebecca Goss
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rikki returns home after obtaining her education goals to be a nurse. She has struggled with demons even though she thought she had left them at home. She has lost her father and best friend. She fears the man she loves is a monster and is confused by what she has seen. This book is a mix of a fairy tale with a supernatural element. The characters are young but seem older by what they have experience. I enjoyed this book and recommend it. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this ...more
Tricia
Feb 19, 2019
Carmen Davis
Mar 11, 2019
Bethany
Karissa Laurel
Jan 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Linda
Mar 01, 2019
Amanda
Mar 02, 2019
Mar 08, 2019
Karissa lives in North Carolina with her kid, her husband, the occasional in-law, and a very hairy husky. Some of her favorite things are coffee, chocolate, and super heroes. She can quote Princess Bride verbatim. She loves to read and has a sweet tooth for fantasy, sci-fi, and anything in between. In the summer, she loves to be on the water, on the boat or in her kayak. When it snows, you'll find ...more