Start by marking “Happy Hair” as Want to Read:
Happy Hair

Happy Hair

African American girls and their beautiful hair are celebrated in this bright, joyful read-together picture book that will have girls everywhere repeating the book's chorus: "I love being me!"

Full 'fro, cute bow! I love being me! Smart girl, cool curls! I love being me!

African American girls will love seeing strong, happy reflections of themselves in this vibrant,
Published October 22nd 2019 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Hair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Hair

Start your review of Happy Hair
Christina Carter
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All I can say is, what rock was I living under in 2014 that I had not yet the great pleasure of reading Mechal Renee Roe's book, Happy Hair?! I fixed that oversight today and oh my-CUTENESS OVERLOAD! But it's much more than that. Yes, the colors are popping (Love the bright yellow cover speckled with pink hearts). Yes, each little girl is absolutely adorable. Yes, it is full of fabulous hairstyles with accessories that are on point, but this book is most importantly a mirror, affirming to its ...more
Jenell
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LB really loved this one. We read it 3x in one sitting. She loved all the Black girls (representation) and their fancy hair and clothes styles shes familiar with and others she wants us to try. She found the image of all of the hair supplies in the last page sooo funny and familiar. LB also found the repetition of the line I love being me comforting and empowering (as she swayed, jumped up and down, and pointed to herself). I appreciated the language used to describe the hairstyles through the ...more
Amy Layton
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a sweet, much-needed book chock full of black representation and hair positivity.  With short, snappy rhymes and cute cartoonish illustrations, Roe takes us on a journey of the various different ways in which young black girls can choose to wear their hair, such as afros, in a wrap, or bantus.  Overall, Happy Hair is a positive, refreshing look at something many people have taken for granted.  This is great for beginning readers through kindergarten!

Review cross-listed here!
Robbi Caldwell
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c-books, h-books
Super cute! Love the illustrations too ...more
Lindsay Ross
This book is dedicated to every girl who has ever doubted her beauty, her strength & her courageous spirit! Release her!
Racheal
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is basically just like looking at a Tumblr full of straight up adorable pictures of black girls with all manner of straight up adorable hair (and perfectly crafted looks). So bright and joyous and did I mention straight up adorable?
Mollie B
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Different hair styles, super rhyme scheme. Great for toddler storytime.
QueenAmidala28
This is a beautiful book - the details on the illustrations are perfection and the positive wording about each hairstyle is on point! I love that EACH and EVERY hairstyle is applauded AND that the author makes sure that the kids know that whatever hairstyle they have are unique and beautiful! The styles include everything from natural locs to blowouts and press and curls. (Where was this book when I was growing up???)

In my opinion, the only downfall is that I wish this book included other
Barbara
Rhyming text on the (mostly) left-hand side of this picture book matches nicely with the images of various hairstyle on the (mostly) right-hand side. Taken together, the collection of 12 different ways--plus two more on the cover and back cover-- to style the hair of black girls is empowering and celebratory. For those youngsters or their caregivers who lack imagination, this picture book provides great examples of how to do their hair in a creative way while pounding down that positive message ...more
Kristi Bernard
This fun little read is great for beginners. This sturdy book shares creative illustrations of various types of natural hairdos. Each image points out how these little cuties love being themselves with their adorable hair styles. Readers will see afros, braids, puffs, bantu buns and even a fro-hawk.

Parents and caregivers can use this as a tool to teach self-esteem, embracing culture and to be happy with who you are. Its also a great way to share other types of hair styles and what products are
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A great positive self-image book, where "I love being me" is on every way with all the beautiful ways we, and hair is different.

This book is geared towards girls with every page being a girl. It is a simple book, that a girl scout troop or an all girl's group could benefit from reading. Otherwise, parents with daughters should definitely read this one together.
Annalisa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: eb
This was really cute! I love the artwork--it's chic and graphic while also being cute. The rhymes were a nice touch, and I like that it offered the names of specific hairdos as well. I think that would be great for young ones who love beauty and hair. I will say I wasn't a big fan of the mantra on loving being me. It felt a little overplayed.
Marfita
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Mechal Renee Roe is lucky to have such versatile hair. My own hair is wimpy, dull with age, and thinning. In this book of cheerful rhymes she shows off the myriad of styles for an African-American girl's hair. And no beads! Each style is pictured on girls of all shades with the most serene faces of quiet confidence.
Just makes me envious.
Penelope Murphy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, creative look at being different and embracing that difference. Inspiring for girls of any age, including moms of girls. Cool Cuts is the boys version. Just as valid!
Congrats, Mechal for making yourself seen and heard.
Dianna
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
Fun, snappy rhymes and celebration of different ethnic hairstyles on young black girls. Cheerful illustrations. A happy book of celebration!
Elaine Fultz
Celebration of Black girls' hair styles. Adults will need to help young readers with the repeated cursive phrase, "I love being me."
Annese
ADORABLE! Simple and sweet, easy to read, wonderful picture, quality rhymes. A colleague felt inspired to read it out loud, and I love it even more.
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young fashionista hairstyle inspiration!
Molly
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Had a nice refrain of "I love being me."
Rebecca Anne
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Simply shows the different hairstyles girls can wear and still love their unique hair.
Edward Sullivan
A vibrant celebration of the versatility of black hair.
Ann Santori
Really well done, quick read (great for Storytime with littles) with rich and unique vocabulary (specific to hairstyles).
Kiersten
Happy hair is what I wish I would have read when I was younger. I remember not liking my natural hair because of its texture, and this book helps further foster a positive self-image of the child.
Anne Lutomia
A young black girl shows off various beautiful hairstyles while loving herself.
Teonna Taylor
Simple, yet thoughtful account of many beautiful hairstyles rocked by young Black girls!
Mechal Roe
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy Hair is a call and response book that promotes positive self-esteem and hair love to girls of all ages! Happy Hair covers different shades and hair types all while being fun and fashionable! This book is the foundation to building Happy Hair.
Jillian Heise
A beautiful, self-affirming, positive representation to have available for my students in the library. I had a 3rd grade boy read it to me, and he recognized both of his sisters and several of his classmates from our school community within the pages of this book.
Becky Shaknovich
New version came out in 2019. Re-published by Doubleday. The author/illustrator also illustrated Kamala Harris book. ...more
Susan

• Just in Case You Want to Fly
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • M Is for Melanin: A Celebration of the Black Child