Start by marking “The Other's Gold” as Want to Read:
The Other's Gold

The Other's Gold

An insightful and sparkling novel that opens on a college campus and follows the friendship of four women across life-defining turning points

Assigned to the same suite during their freshman year at Quincy-Hawthorne College, Lainey, Ji Sun, Alice, and Margaret quickly become inseparable. The leafy green campus they move through together, the idyllic window seat they share i
Published August 27th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about The Other's Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other's Gold

Celeste Ng
A sharply-drawn portrait of a lifelong friendship, THE OTHER'S GOLD follows four young women bearing past traumas and navigating unimagined futures. With an uncanny eye for detail, Elizabeth Ames charts the complex, ever-shifting topography of this "chosen family"--and illuminates the ways our closest friends sustain us over the course of our lives.
Toni
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You're either going to love this book or hate it. If you fall in love with its compelling, engaging writing style and care for Alice, Margaret, Ji Sun and Lainey as they move from adolescence of their freshman year in college to adulthood, you will not want the book to end, or at very least hope for regular updates in future to know how they are doing. If you don't connect with the book, the story is going to seem long and unnecessarily detailed. Life on paper...

The four girls were assigned the
Katie B
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm finding it difficult to figure out what I want to say in this review because I thought this was just an okay read. I think if I would have connected more with the four main characters, this could have been a more meaningful read like it was for other readers. I just feel like whatever point(s) the author was trying to get across just flew right over my head or something.

Lainey, Ji Sun, Alice, and Margaret are all assigned to the same suite during their freshman year in college. They become
Michelle
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5 stars, rounding up. Two reasons: 1)It's a debut 2) I don't think what I disliked about this was the author's fault.

This is another book that I have been anxiously awaiting for most of the year. Four girls who become friends their first day of college and that friendship transcends throughout the rest of it and continues on? Hell yeah, sign me up. There couldn't have been a more perfect book description for me. I also really dug the layout. The book is split up into four sections that surroun
Sharon
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Other’s Gold is the story of four young women’s path to adulthood, with ordinary ups and downs elevated through lyrical prose, containing current political and social events seamlessly woven in, making the reader feel like they could have been part of this lucky quartet.
Ames has a lovely way of writing, presenting everyday life as a magical secret that she’s willing to share, if you listen closely to her whispered tale…
She balances so much- family drama, sisterhood, sexual harassmen
Joy Matteson
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was all kinds of crazy, in the best ways possible. Four women who become a close unit of friends in college each make one terrible mistake in this beautifully written book. These characters are unbelievably well drawn. Each one of them leaps off the page with vivacity and creative energy. I would read 3 more novels with these women featured, their flaws and fierce love for one another were addictive.

Perfect summer to fall read for those who need more punchy characters in their lives.
Haley • Fangirl Fury •
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anticipated-2019
A 2019 favorite and one of the best adult fiction books this mostly YA readers has read in a while! Elizabeth Ames' writing style completely sucked me in, and I just loved this story so much!
Jenny
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Other's Gold is a gorgeous novel, brimming with the romance of budding, full friendships and the way we carry our pasts, our shame, and each other through it all.

The four female protagonists meet on a window seat in their freshman dorm. Their friendship is fast and deep, and we too, as readers, fall in love right beside them. While I loved the intensity of their friendship, I also loved each individually, too--despite, and in spite, of each of their mistakes that the book follows. I found m
Tucker
May 24, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
Celeste Ng blurbed this and i am not okay
LA Brower
My favorite book of 2019! The Other's Gold is must-read, un-put-down-able, absolutely triumphant debut novel by a major new literary voice. Narrated in spectacular prose with breathtaking emotional intimacy and insight, Ames' big-hearted, character-driven book left me in awe. Simultaneously funny and heartbreaking, joyous and mournful, hopeful and devastating, this profoundly honest exploration of friendship, family, endurance, and forgiveness chronicles the lives four unforgettable female frien ...more
Claire Barfell
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book on Goodreads Giveaways. This is the story of four friends who share the same room in college and their friendship continues afterward. They each make mistakes that are very serious and unusual. For a first novel, this book is unbelievable, what a great imagination and writing ability this author has. I kept wondering what would happen next and felt like I really knew the characters because the reader sees their thoughts and feelings.
Shannon (The Book Club Mom)
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Happy Publication Day to Elizabeth Ames for The Other’s Gold! If you’ve been following me for a little while, then you probably already know that I’m a sucker for books about friendship. They are my very favorite and I absolutely adore reading them. The Other’s Gold is a story about four friends who meet in their freshman year of college. The women all share the same suite at Quincy-Hawthorne College, quickly become friends and form instant bonds.
The novel is separated into four parts that cent
Basic B's Guide
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had such high hopes for this debut. Unfortunately I was left feeling underwhelmed and quite confused. I’m perplexed as to what the point was of it all. It clearly went over my head. The 4 very unique mistakes presented didn’t leave me with any emotional connection to the characters and felt a bit over the top. In fact, I don’t quite understand the friendships in the story. It might be because we are presented with a group of ladies that have forged instant bonds even before they have embarked ...more
Natalie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Despite the fact that this is the type of novel that I generally like, I found this book very disappointing. Again, four college roommates bond and become lifelong friends. The women go through college traumas, marriage and motherhood maintaining this relationship.

The characters represented a carefully curated group, even to their diversity of background and hair color. All of this managed to feel very contrived. It seemed like the author found inspiration in books such as THE GROUP, but fell s
Tess
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE OTHER’S GOLD was such a lovely surprise, so much so that I read it in a day and enjoyed every second. I am such a sucker for female friendship books on college campuses, and love it even more when the story continues after school and we learn about their lives and relationships as they get older. This book has all that and more. The four main characters are well developed, likable yet often frustrating, and realistic. The plot points are shocking, but the friendships are also heartwarming.

I
Lazy Line
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book connected with me so deeply! Its depiction of friendships, college, motherhood, heartache, regret, and lifelong love really hit home for me, and the characters felt as real and complex as some of my own friends. Though their choices and mistakes sometimes made it hard for me to like Lainey, Alice, Ji Sun, or Margaret, I always always loved them, understood them, and wanted to spend more time with them. I think that this is a testament to the author's beautiful writing style and her abi ...more
Sarah at Sarah's Book Shelves
Thanks to Viking Books for an advanced copy of this book.

I was incredibly nervous about this debut novel…the premise is everything I normally love in a character-driven story (campus setting, female friendship, etc), but the intangibles are key to these types of novels working well. I shouldn’t have worried because it was 5 stars for me! The writing style took me a minute to get used to (it has some very long sentences and requires a bit of concentration), but it’s gorgeous and Ames is an astute
Heather
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Thank you to Viking and Penguin Random House for this copy in exchange for my honest review.

Margaret, Ji Sun, Alice and Lainey meet as freshman suite mates at Quincy-Hawthorne College and immediately become best friends. Though they all come from different backgrounds, they form a bond that other students look at with envy. As boyfriends and girlfriends come and go, their friendship remains constant.

Over the years, from college to marriages to children, their friendships weather various storms
Beth
Sep 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
zero stars! I work at a book store so I get to read ARCs. Sometimes they are good and sometimes they are not. I do not understand how this book ever was published. It is about 4 girls who ended up being roommates in college and become fast friends. "Each of the girls will make a terrible mistake" That is what the blurb says. They do not make "mistakes." They should all be in jail! These are not mistakes, they are choices that each person made with no repercussions except that they feel guilt. Th ...more
Michelle
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The first section of this book was hard for me to get into but once they got out of the college years I was completely hooked! What a unique and interesting story. I was impressed with Ames' writing and found myself rereading sentences and nodding my head along with the insights she had about female friendship.

This very much feels like a book that came from the author's experience and I appreciated how real the characters felt to me. She didn't make caricatures out of any of them and I also app
Cynthia
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This novel didn’t work for me. I found the characters flat and, ultimately, didn’t care about them. Disappointing read for me, but I may not have been the best audience.
Ilyssa Wesche
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I really dug this one. It reminded me of the movie Friends with Money. I liked Ji Sun the best, as I felt she stayed most true to her character.

This would have been four star for me but there was not even remotely enough outrage for the Kiss. It mean that was ridiculous.
Beth
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cover to cover, my heart was a wonderful, sloppy messy on each page, constantly teetering between exploding with triumphant love and melting into the universal sorrows and trials of tightly woven friendship. It is not enough to say that this is a book about females, about college, or about huge mistakes and their recovery. This is a book about love and genuine human bonds, without the syrupy, trite, or over-wrought sentiments of romance alone, which lack the gritty, earthy challenges of chosen f ...more
Donna Hines
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
A bunch of forged relationships from women in college that seems to go nowhere and probably wouldn't have endured in real life.
I'm not sure the point but for me this felt too forced and too out of left field to make a go of it all.
A pact to keep one another's secrets but the secrets were a bit odd and actually felt out of character.
If felt rushed as if the author had a timeline to conquer and had to throw it all in the pot to stew and come out with something concrete before the time expired.
For
Audrey
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was fine, very readable. Part 1 (when they first entered college), the language tried too hard and felt forced. But, as the timeline progressed, it smoothed out. This book really captures the love of female friendships and intense bonding when one enters college. Early on, they make a pact to keep each other’s secrets, no matter what. My issue is that some of the characters weren’t quite fleshed out (especially true of Ji Sun) and that the secrets were all kind of odd and not quite true to ...more
Cassidy
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, fiction, arc
This debut novel was easy to get into as I am a sucker for books about female friendship, especially spanning over years. Overall I liked it and am glad I picked it up, but there was something about the writing style...almost as if Ames is writing with a time limit and trying to get as much information and words down before the buzzer goes off. I would be interested to read her next book, to see if it was any smoother.
Stacey A.  Prose and Palate
2.5 Stars. Review to come.
Monica
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
THE OTHER'S GOLD is about female friendships and it's complexity, strength, and importance throughout our lives. We meet Lainey, Ji Sun, Alice, and Margaret when they first meet each other at a fictional college and we grow with them through college, marriage and children. The book is organized by pivotal parts named after a mistake that each of our 4 characters commit - The Accident, The Accusation, The Kiss and The Bite.

I liked how Ames laid out her book. It kept me interested and constantly
Gayle
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review at: http://www.everydayiwritethebookblog....

The Other’s Gold by Elizabeth Ames has one of those plots I like – four friends from college and how they fare into adulthood. Margaret, Lainey, Ji-Sun and Alice meet as freshmen when they share a suite at an elite East Coast school. They come from different backgrounds, but become fast friends, enjoying an intimacy and closeness that persists through four years in the same suite.

The Other’s Gold is structured around four mistakes, one made
Madeleine
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
First off, I would like to thank the publisher for the free book.

I really enjoyed The Other's Gold, though I will say that it took turns and and went into directions that I had not anticipated. So, fair warning: this is not your typical book that explores female friendships and the ways that they shift and evolve over time (though this is of course a huge part of it).

It brings up ethical dilemmas that are incredibly difficult to grapple with, and demonstrates that things may not always be so cut
« previous 1 3 4 next »