Start by marking “American Royals (American Royals, #1)” as Want to Read:
American Royals (American Royals, #1)

American Royals

(American Royals #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  45,788 ratings  ·  6,266 reviews
What if America had a royal family?

When America won the Revolutionary War, its people offered General George Washington a crown. Two and a half centuries later, the House of Washington still sits on the throne.

As Princess Beatrice gets closer to becoming America's first queen regnant, the duty she has embraced her entire life suddenly feels stifling.

Nobody cares about the
Published September 3rd 2019 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about American Royals, please sign up.
Katharine McGee This is such a thoughtful question! In the world of American Royals, the succession goes through GW's nephew George Steptoe Washington, son of Washing…moreThis is such a thoughtful question! In the world of American Royals, the succession goes through GW's nephew George Steptoe Washington, son of Washington's younger brother Samuel. (George Steptoe Washington had three older siblings but none of them lived long enough to become king--in real life they all died before GW's death in 1799).

George Steptoe Washington, aka King George II in the world of American Royals, was a fascinating character in real life! He eloped with Lucy Payne (Dolly Madison's sister!) when she was 15 and he was 22. Their families were originally outraged but later reconciled. So of course, in the world of American Royals she became Queen Lucy!

I started deviating from the real historical timeline in the next generation. George II and Lucy's son Theodore is a fictional character.(less)
Joanne Pang There are three royal siblings in the story, and some other POVs, whom are not blood-related to the royal siblings. It's not incest. The siblings aren…moreThere are three royal siblings in the story, and some other POVs, whom are not blood-related to the royal siblings. It's not incest. The siblings aren't crushing on each other.(less)

·  45,788 ratings  ·  6,266 reviews

Start your review of American Royals (American Royals, #1)
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
TWO DISAPPOINTED, ANGRY, TIME-CONSUMER, MOOD-KILLER, WORSE THEN YOUNG AND RESTLESS EPISODES STARS!

When NetGalley rejected me to send this book, I gave the same reaction every time when I get rejections. I threw myself on the floor, punched the rug and gave my ugliest cries! Even my neighbors were scared that a wild animal escaped from the zoo and jumped in from our window. When I said I was the wild animal, they only shrugged. I think I should move sooner!

And after reading this book, flashbacks
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Monte Price
Omg, I'm living for the drama. I NEED BOOK TWO RIGHT NOW
CC the Great is Not Okay
Apr 10, 2019 marked it as to-be-released
EDIT: Nov. 3, 2020. It's been over a year since I last updated this review and I am STILL getting messages for it. Is Katharine McGee or her agent paying their bills or something?

I'm really interested to know where in my review did I say the author wasn't "allowed" to write it? She's allowed to write it but I'm also allowed to think the book's premise is shitty and offensive. Like what point were they trying to make, exactly? I'm so confused.

"I must remind you, this is only the premise." Why wou
chan ☆
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-contemporary, 2020
like gossip girl without the flavor
emma
Well. This didn’t go very well.

I love a fun, fluffy, romance-y read. I love royalty tropes. I love Ragtag Groups Of Quirky Teenage Friends. I even love...some drama. And when I picked this up, I thought I would either get that or a big heaping cereal bowl of disappointment.

Maybe my expectations have been irrevocably made too high by Red, White & Royal Blue, but...boy oh boy did I get the latter.

It also could have been my fault for not realizing this was the first in a series. I was like...WHERE
jessica
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
this story reminded me exactly of KMs other series, ‘the thousandth floor.’ which is to say, i had fun reading this.

this isnt as drama-filled, but the heavy cast of characters and how their lives intertwine and mix with each other is very on-brand for KM. i know some people may complain about the length, especially because there essentially isnt a plot, but i didnt mind it. i had fun and enjoyed reading about each of the characters and their relationships with each other.

like i said, there rea
Larry H
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
"From now on, you are two people at once: Beatrice the girl, and Beatrice, heir to the Crown. When they want different things, the Crown must win. Always."

Katharine McGee's American Royals is an entertaining, soapy romp built on a terrific concept: when the Revolutionary War ended, the American people offered George Washington a crown, and he accepted. The House of Washington has remained on the throne for more than two-and-a-half centuries, and America is as obsessed with stories about the
C.G. Drews
You know when you read a book and feel like it is directly meant to be on Netflix as a romcom? this. 😂So it was fun! I hoped it would be a bit like a YA version of Red White & Royal Blue, but it wasn't (that's on me for expectations, not on the book!). It's very much about the pressures of a life under the scrutiny of the public eye. Tbh I thought it'd be MORE stressful with scandals and paparazzi and clean up and all that. But I really liked how each character responded to their lot in live. An ...more
Emer (A Little Haze)
American Royals is a fun and frothy novel as one would expect from the blurb. It reimagines history so that George Washington became the first king of America...the background detail of expanding upon this alternative history is a little lacking though. I would have liked a few more nuggets of info about the how and the why America came to be ruled by a monarchy.

The story is told from a number of different viewpoints which was enjoyable but it also meant that it was quite hard to ever truly eng
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Somebody was comparing AMERICAN ROYALS to CRAZY RICH ASIANS, and I think to do so is really unfair because CRAZY RICH ASIANS tapped into a lot of dialogues about race, class, and culture that AMERICAN ROYALS doesn't really do. Oh, it tries, but if anything it's just a thought experiment designed to write yet another frothy story about princesses. And if that's your cup of Earl grey tea, more power to you, but I think it's dangerous-- and
Hollis
AMERICAN ROYALS was a concept I was excited about because, for all the royalty romances out there, we've never had one that reimagined, and rewrote, American history to fashion them with royalty (or at least I’ve never seen/read one!). Beyond that, however, I didn't really know what to expect. My guess was drama, politics, and many things in between.

It's definitely drama. Politics, not so much. This is all drama. It's like Gossip Girl on steroids in some ways, I think. Maybe. I only watched like
Amy Imogene Reads
Come for the concept, stay for the drama. This was a near-perfect blend of Gossip Girl, modern day royalty, and drama.

Concept: ★★★★★
Drama: ★★★★ 1/2
Pacing: ★★★
Romance:★★★★

What would have happened if George Washington had accepted the offer to become America's king? As our history books state, he said no, and the Presidency was created.

But what if...

American Royals follows the modern-day lives of America's royal family—the House of Washington. A perfect mishmash of British royalty with a distinc
Christy
4 stars

photo F9980835-D8D3-4B62-9226-0EED8900AD8C_zpsmdytvr86.png
What if America had a royal family?

This book was a drama-fest and I couldn't get enough of it. It's one of those stories you don't want to put down because it's so entertaining.

American Royals takes place in a world where America has a royal family instead of a democracy. The Washingtons' have been in power since the start and this is their family's story. This follows a few characters, the first being Beatrice who is next in line for the crown. The next is her sister, Sa
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
4.5 stars - (Buddy read with Heather

I. Loved. This. Book. Talk about addicting! American Royals reimagines American history as if George Washington had accepted the title of King and in present day America, we're still being ruled by the monarchy led by his descendants. This book has a lot of perspectives, but I felt fully invested in each and every one of them. If I absolutely *had* to pick a favorite, it would be Samantha, also known as the spare. Samantha is a Jefferson's twin sister and as
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
Nov 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
i actually really enjoyed this book! the drama was so good but i’ve read her other series so i already the drama was gonna be good. i got kinda bored in the middle which honestly always happens so i cant fault the book for that
Sara
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed McGee’s previous series of novels, The Thousandth Floor, and was intrigued to see her take on the alternative history genre with an America ruled by the descendants of King George Washington. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. This has a lot of froth but no substance, and although the The Thousandth Floor has interesting characters and an overall plot arc, this just doesn’t really have anything, with a plot that feels con
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
2.5 stars, rounded up

What if America hadn't gone the radical route of elected government officials and democracy, and instead had offered George Washington a crown and he had inexplicably taken it?

This is the intriguing alternate history of a world that could have been, with the royal siblings—Crown Princess Beatrice, twins Samantha and Jefferson—and their friend Nina, navigating the world of love, romance, expectations and social media.

It's very gossipy and filled with the glitz, glamor, gossip
Nina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I was sent a copy of the book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

This was auch a quick and entertaining read. I really enjoyed American Royals and can’t wait to read the sequel next year!

instagram || my blog || twitter
Jessica | JustReadingJess
What if American was run by a royal family descended from George Washington?

I LOVE this book. It is so entertaining and such a cute story. I always find princess stories entertaining and this is my favorite princess story.

I reread American Royals before reading Majesty, and I loved it as much as the first time.

Full review: https://justreadingjess.wordpress.com...
Erin
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I had seen low ratings for this book, but hadn't read the reviews, so I had hoped that I could find some enjoyment from this book but I did not.

In an alternate history, George Washington became King after the American Revolution was won. Centuries later, House Washington is still on the throne. Now, Princess Beatrice is first in line for the throne and will be the first Queen, but her parents are pushing her to get married.

This book is a disaster. First, the world really isn't explained well at
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Thank you so much to Penguin Teen Australia for sending a review copy my way!

"How hard it was to be a woman in this world of monarchies, whose structures and traditions had all been built by men."

trigger warnings: cheating, death of a grandparent (in the past), death of a parent (in the past), being roofied, character in a coma, (view spoiler)

representation: f/f relationship (Nina's mums), Latina rep, Japanese American rep.
Clara (The Bookworm of Notre-Dame)

jeff, if you’re reading this i am free on thursday please respond and let me know if you wanna hang out thursday which is when i’m free on thursday.
Salma19 (High Lady of the Dawn Court)
⭐️⭐️ out of 5

Do yourself a favour: SKIP IT IF YOU CAN!

If you saw a lot of Teen drama TV shows/movie, or read many YA Contemporary Romance novels, you will not learn anything from this book. Especially if you already watched Gossip Girl.

This book successfully wins the award of “The Most Predictable Book I Have Ever Read”. 👏🏼 It tried to much to be like Gossip Girl (the TV show), but it failed (the plagiarism section is below).

Most of the characters were really two-dimensional and it had so many o
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
I was very excited when I heard about a new book series being written by Katherine McGee because I loved The Thousandth Floor series.

I added this to my TBR without reading the synopsis. When I got the physical copy, I read the synopsis and was very confused. I thought: more incest? If you read The Thousandth Floor, then you know that Avery and Atlas are siblings (adopted) and like each other. (Since they are not blood-related, I guess you could argue that it's not incest) But, the incest in
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
This book was such a wild ride, and I honestly didn’t expect to have so much fun with it. I’m a sucker for a good novel following royals, so having this reimagined America was so unique and created such a dramatic atmosphere that was steady throughout the entire novel that had some of my favorite tropes like forbidden love, best friend’s brother, and a bodyguard + royal romance.

I do have to say, though, that I just did not believe in Samantha’s romance with Teddy. How can one girl claim to love
Trina (Between Chapters)
Although this was fairly predictable, I think fans of royal romances or dramas (AKA meeee) will enjoy it. I liked the variety of POVs and the alternate history of the United States was very interesting to think about. I definitely feel like her writing has grown since her first book and I look forward to what's coming in this series.
Lea | That_Bookdragon
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Thank you so much to Penguin Random House for sending me a copy of this book. All opinions are my own. You can see the content of the very cute promotional box of swags I was sent here

4/5 ⭐

"Writers got to pick the ending of their novels, but Beatrice wasn't living a story. She was living history, and history went on forever."

Have you ever wondered what society would be like if George Washington had accepted to become king after the Revolutionary War instead of president? Then search
Jenna Bookish
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Oof. Soooo, that was certainly... a book.

I think my major issue with American Royals is that this book doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be. Does it want to be a thought-provoking story set in an alternate version of the United States with a monarchy? Yes. Does it also want to be a fluffy young adult romance novel? Yes. Does it also want to be a reality TV-esque teen drama? ...Yes. Are any of these elements playing nicely together? Definitely not.

This book is 448 pages and it felt lo
tappkalina
Aug 25, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star

“Your mamá and I look to each other to stay grounded. People like Daphne—who walk around the world hurting others, hiding their real selves—those people are the unlucky ones. You can’t worry about them. All you can do is be yourself, wholly and unapologetically."

Buddy read with ᴄᴏʟᴇᴛᴛᴇ ♡, ✨ Christy ✨ and Krisztina Imbre.
Riley
Sep 13, 2020 rated it liked it
this was basically if gossip girl was following a royal family. tons of messiness and drama.
i really liked the princess/bodyguard romance but the other storylines were lacking for me

if you liked this book please do yourself a favor and watch the tv show The Royals

• The Heir Affair (Royal We, #2)
  • The Royal We (Royal We, #1)
  • Beach Read
  • One to Watch
  • Party of Two (The Wedding Date, #5)
  • In Five Years
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Tweet Cute
  • Big Summer
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Head Over Heels
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
Katharine McGee is the New York Times bestselling author of American Royals and The Thousandth Floor trilogy. She studied English and French literature at Princeton University and has an MBA from Stanford. She lives in her hometown of Houston, TX with her husband.

American Royals (2 books)
  • Majesty (American Royals, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Don’t you just hate that feeling of falling head over heels for a new series...and then having to wait anxiously (sometimes for years!) for...
“Who said anything about forgetting? The point of forgiveness is to recognize that someone has hurt you, and to still love them in spite of it.” 34 likes
“All she knew was that one day she woke up and her love for him was simply there, like newly fallen snow. Maybe it had been there all along.” 16 likes