Start by marking “Iron Man: Extremis” as Want to Read:
Iron Man: Extremis

Iron Man: Extremis

(Iron Man (2005) (Collected Editions) #1)

It's the beginning of a new era for Iron Man, and he must face up to a new era of terrifying technologies that threaten to overwhelm fragile mankind! He must find out what Extremis is - and, more importantly, he must figure out who has unleashed it and what its emergence means for the world.

Collecting: Iron Man 1-6
Published February 14th 2007 by Marvel (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Iron Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Man

Iron Man by Warren EllisThe Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1 by Matt FractionIron Man by David MichelinieIron Man by David MichelinieThe New Avengers, Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Iron Man
98 books — 34 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiPreludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman
Best Graphic Novels
2,703 books — 6,214 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
Extremely good story!

This TPB edition collects the comic book issues #1-6 of “Iron Man”, along with a special cover to tie-in with the first live-action movie of “Iron Man”.

Creative Team

Writer: Warren Ellis

Illustrator: Adi Granov

REBOOTING IRON MAN

…I always wanted to be more. – Test pilot for the future.

Extremis is the kickin’ point where the creative team of Warren Ellis and Adi Granov defined the comic book character of Iron Man for a new generation. Ellis’ smart writing “updated/>/>Creative
Kemper
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2014, marvel
Being a genius billionaire superhero isn’t all fun and games apparently. Sometimes there are people who want to question your ethics just because you’ve got a past as an arms manufacturer, and then there’s always the chance you’ll get the ever loving crap kicked out of you when some bad guys get their hands on a new bio-weapon.

This is one of the best Iron Man stories I’ve read. It came out a few years before the first movie, and the films would use several of it’s ideas and overall t
Anne
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it

So why am I reviewing a comic book that came out years ago?
Well, there's this movie that came out a while ago about a guy in a metal suit. You may not have heard about it, 'cause I don't think it did very well at the box office...
Ok. Seriously.
Because Warren Ellis' Extremis is the plot that the new Iron Man 3 movie is loosely based on.

For those of you who don't know, Ellis is considered almost god-like to many comic book fans. I've been incredibly unfortunate when it comes to getting my hands on his stuff, so Extremis i
Nicolo Yu
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
These six issues that comprise the opening story arc on Warren Ellis and Adi Granov’s re-launch of Iron Man became the bible for Jon Favreau’s two Iron Man movies. Ellis set out to re-establish Tony Stark as the chief technologist of Marvel Comics’ twenty-first century and do this without being too fantastic but also grounded in reality. This is helped by the realistic computer generated art of Adi Granov.

Incidentally, Granov also served as a designer of the Iron Man film, so much of the ima
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This really wasn’t what I was expecting. The recent Iron man movies depict an entirely different character. Robert Downy Jr’s Tony Stark is cocky, annoying and a little repulsive. The Iron man in here is cocky, introspective and completely compelling. I’m glad of it too because it meant the entire plot was character driven.

>The character 4.5/5- Tony Stark knows exactly what he is: he knows that his inventions have caused countless deaths. Thankfully, he isn’t in denial about the simple truth. He s
Terence
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony Stark has reached his technological limit on how to improve his suit.
description
Meanwhile a man has been dosed with an experimental technology that works similarly to the super soldier serum. Unfortunately this man is not a good man.
Tony Stark has reached his technological limit on how to improve his suit.
description
Extremis is on the loose and it's devastatingly effective.

It seems like everyone wants to make a new Captain America of sorts. The goal is bigger, faster, stronger, and more resilient than an ordinary man. It seems as though Maya Hansen has done it. In actuality her technological breakthrough is even better than Dr. Erskine was able to accomplish with the super soldier serum. Unfortunately it ends up in the wrong hands. The man who got it didn't have an Uncle Ben to give him the perfect speech or the moral fortitude to resist using his strength for his own gain. He was raised by extremists and he is extreme indeed.

I know they based Iron Man 3 off of this story, but whoever did just didn't get it. This story could have been copied panel for panel and it would have blown the atrocious Iron Man 3 out of the water. In case anyone is wondering I consider Iron Man 3 the worst movie in the MCU by far. I don't understand how this story could turn into the mess that was Iron Man 3.

Extremis was an innovative and intriguing story.
James DeSantis
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
For years I was told I had to read Warren Ellis Extremis for Iron-man. It was always totted as the "best" Iron-man story or least top 5-10. So is it? Well...

Tony is feeling a little sorry for himself here. Actually, he does a interview where the guy starts hitting Tony with some tough questions. Tony has just spent the last few weeks in his garage building new suits and, well like I said, feeling very sorry for himself. After the interview he decides to change, to do something about
Sam Quixote
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A destructive new chemical compound called Extremis that gives the user superhuman powers is set loose onto a domestic terrorist with an agenda to bring down Washington. Cue Tony Stark, flying in to save the day! But even Iron Man isn't able to deal with this threat and must make a life altering choice. We also get the Iron Man origin story here that was used in the Iron Man film (with a few subtle tweaks).

I love Warren Ellis' writing whether it's his weird, original material or more mainstream
Jonathan Terrington

After my visit to the U.S.A, I may have brought back a combined total of 12 (or so) newly purchased novels and graphic novels. There was about a 50/50 split. The reason was that of course there are so many more comic book stores in America than Australia (and they are such cool places) and also because the Harvard Bookstore is also an amazing location... Either way that was my weak attempt at a segue into mentioning that I did buy this Extremis graphic novel while overseas. And it was completely worth i
Aaron
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tony Stark is called by his old friend Maya Hansen for help. Her boss, Aldrich Killian, just committed suicide due to his purposeful release of a version of the super-soldier serum known as Extremis. A domestic terrorist, Mallen, has taken it and undergone a frightening transformation, going on a rampage and killing dozens. Stark confronts Mallen as Iron Man and things do not go well, leaving Tony severely injured. Realizing he has reached his limit with his current technology, Tony reprograms E ...more
Mike
Feb 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that redefines Iron Man for me for the 21st century. I've re-read this story multiple times, and every time it gives me chills and makes me respect Tony Stark a little more.

Moreso, it makes me respect Ellis as a writer more each time. This is a very tight, compelling read that wastes no time on filler panels, just keeping us sprinting alongside the characters trying to keep up.

Granov brings a very different technique to the visuals - balanced precariously
Jayanth
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
My first comic book and I liked it. I'm all hyped up for next month's Infinity War movie. Some of the Avengers are going to bite the dust and I'm quite positive Iron Man is one of them, I mean, how the fuck can a human battle and survive Thanos with his Infinity stones.

I'm totally unaware of how the Marvel comic book universe is setup, but it looks like Extremis does a redo of Tony Stark's character arc I think, because it seems everyone is under the assumption that Iron Man is a robot and n
Crystal Starr Light
Very impressed. A perfect place for someone new to Iron Man (or has only seen the movie) to start. It's thoughtful and interesting with extremely well drawn action scenes.

Thank you to the one who recommended this to me!
Anna
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, read-in-2019
A good introduction to Iron Man.
Aaron
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I can totally see why Jon Favreau wanted to base the first (and also the third) Iron Man movie off of this book. It's approached about as realistically as possible, with some fantastic, grounded character work for Tony Stark, and big, cool, tech-centered leaps forward for Iron Man. The Iron Man origin story in the first Iron Man is almost exactly the same as the one here, along with the same strong parallels to the War on Terror and our roles therein.

Beyond the similarities to the fi
Ariya
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
"You're the nightmare version of me who couldn't see the future. Don't know how to use the tool." The line gives me chills. The plot is well-designed, short but gripping and so intense! It started with a high impression on Bleeding Edge Armor in MCU Infinity War and now I came to read more about nanotechnology armor Tony developed though his suit and ended up with a dark tale: cyborg (sort 0f) Tony merging into the suit to fight the terrorist. It's so delightful seeing a story, especially sci-fi ...more
Derrick
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Iron Man fans, Warren Ellis Fans, Fans of thoughful tech stories with hyper violence
[re-reading Sept 2017]

Just as good five years later.
_______
Warren Ellis showcases the Iron Man character at his most interesting, as far as I am concerned. Tony Stark is brilliant, handsome, wealthy, and -- thanks to the armor -- tougher than almost anyone. But he has demons. His fortune is based on weapons and death, and he has never gotten over his alcoholism.

Tony's at a low spot here. His company wants him to step down from CEO and, like Bill Gates, be Chief Tech Officer.
Martin
In this fantastic story that redefined both Iron Man and Tony Stark for a new generation of readers, Warren Ellis reboots Iron Man's origin story, destroys him, and rebuilds him even better, complete with a new set of powers. This was the shot in the arm that the Iron Man franchise needed: A dose of Extremis!

Anyone reading Warren Ellis' work knows he's got a fetish for technology, so what better book to let him loose on than Iron Man? The way he explains how the technology works, the ideas he comes up w
Sesana
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Extremis made its mark on the Iron Man movie. Maybe not so much with the plot, but with the way the character of Tony Stark was handled, and with the updated version of his backstory. Here, a (white supremacist) terrorist gets his hands on an attempt to make a new version of the super soldier formula and ends up with super strength and the ability to breathe fire. The story moves very fast, and there's some very satisfying action. I was a little disappointed that the terrorist's purpose and moti ...more
Dorin
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Origin story, part 2

Somehow I liked this story a lot. It contains the original origin story - the one with Yinsen - but also a new origin story in which Stark takes a mutagen and actually makes the Iron man suit work. It doesn't make a lot of sense, he programs complex biological stuff in a matter of seconds, and this story makes him less human and more of a bioengineered robot, but I guess it's an acceptable justification for the Iron man says a whole. Took some of the magic of the Iron
aybüke
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
"(There’s no difference between us, Tony. You're no better than me.)
But I'm trying to be. And I’m going to be able to look at myself in the mirror tomorrow morning."

it is always a good day to be emo about tony stark. i dislike the drawing, however i love the extremis arc a lot.
Katie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was dark and gritty. I loved the artwork, it was really imbued with such a dark tone and left nothing to the imagination about the aftermath and brutality of war and weapons manufacturing. It was great to read the story that the movies were based on. I loved Tony fighting with his past and trying to be a better person. That moral gray area is where comics really thrive.
Nicole
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Paul Grimsley
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
A great re-imagining of the old Iron Man. I remember watching the original black and white tv series. I don't know why the idea fell out of favour with me but Stark is interesting in the same way that Batman is -- a human possessed of the resources to do something about the problems they see in the world. Stark has the added layer of being out in the open to a degree and using military money to fund his ventures, so there is that whole political dimension which isn't there with Batman. I really ...more
Sudeep Tirupati
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good story. It could have been great but turned out just good enough. It is great introduction to the Iron Man story though and I can see the first Iron Man movie took a lot of inspiration from this.

What really made the story is the art. The art is just real and life-like and that kind made of things a lot more interesting and the story itself is not very bad.

It speaks of the ever present inner conflict of Tony Stark whether he is a good hero or just a glorified arms dealer. It is d
Andrew Sorrentino
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're familiar with the Iron Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then this story should resonate with you. Many of Extremis' plot points are drawn from to make Iron Man 3. And many other notions are incorporated in the rest of his trilogy as well.
To me, the more cerebral, science-fiction elements stand out in this graphic novel. Also, is Iron Man a man in armor, a man and armor, or more? Is Iron Man a defensive tool, offensive weapon, or something else? These concepts are breached, b
Adam Spanos
Extremis is easily one of the best Iron Man stories, and without a doubt my personal favorite. Warren Ellis and Adi Granov work extremely well together, and display great synergy with their writing and art. Together, they create a unique atmosphere for a story that delves deeply into Stark's ideals and morality. Overall, the deep and dramatic writing, gritty artwork, and intense action make this a memorable story, regardless of what you expected to read.
Roy
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Im still yet to be blown away by an iron man story. Some of the action art was cool but the story was a tad too simple and boring in certain issues. The ending was stupid just being twisty for the sake of it.
Derek
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is just as good as everyone says it is. Ari Granov's art is a little dreary in places but that's about the only quibble I have. Just an excellent Iron Man story from top to bottom.
Ellie Hope
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
there's only so much love i can have for a graphic novel with the ugliest art i've ever seen

76/100

• Civil War: Iron Man
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Thor, by J. Michael Straczynski, Volume 1
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more

Iron Man (2005) (Collected Editions) (8 books)
  • Iron Man: Execute Program
  • Civil War: Iron Man
  • Iron Man: Director Of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • World War Hulk: X-Men