Start by marking “The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1” as Want to Read:
The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1

The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1

(Regency Hearts #1)

Having witnessed the roguish ways of men, Miss Jane Harcourt has decided she is better off to remain a spinster. Working as a governess has brought her fulfillment, but when she finds herself suddenly without a position, Jane begins to fret. When her cousin alerts her that a Duke is seeking a governess for his son, Jane is overcome with joy. That is until she finds out ...more
Published January 27th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Duke of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duke of Fire

Start your review of The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1
✨ Gramy ✨
The Duke of Fire is the first book in the Regency Hearts series by Jennifer Monroe. I thought this was a delightfully well-written Victorian Regency book of the genre of historical romance. The root of the plotline was based on deception and greed, which creates so much unwarranted negativity. That is an aspect of life I thoroughly do not understand and cannot identify with.

Coco.V
Aug 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (8/8/2019)! ...more
Bridget
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of Romance
The Duke Of Fire is a delightful story that has a bit of everything. From romance and drama to tension and conflict, and joy and sorrow, there really is something for everyone. Reminiscent of Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre, it is a lovely, historical fiction novel set in the magnificent Wellesley Manor, part of the beautifully scenic Exeter Estate, in England.

What’s really likeable about it straight-away are the opening chapters that draw you into the main character, Miss Jane Harcourt. She is a
Emma
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WOW... what a nail biter this was. The beginning provided the background information. Then the pace picked up and suspense filled each page. I was wide eyed reading, sitting at the edge of my seat and I was filled with tension as to what was going to happen next. At the beginning I did not care very much for the lead female character, Jane. She let gossip and assumptions rule her. But then she displayed characteristics that were admirable. She was sensitive, kind, encouraging, intuitive, brave ...more
Space Cowgirl
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Permission To Love Again

Trusting Their Hearts
Michael Blackstone, The Duke of Hayfield, was able to rescue his son from their burning mansion, but he was burned himself when he tried to rescue his wife, and then the roof collapsed. Rumors go around that he wanted her to die, that he murdered her somehow, when in fact she was the love of his life.

Jane walks into his life as the new governess for his son Samuel, and he starts to live again. His brother Robert seems to be trying to waylay his new
Candace
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was far too predictable, which is a shame because the premise seems really interesting (not original, but interesting). I could tell who the villain was the second they were introduced. Monroe tried to hint, but it wasn't even remotely subtle. Michael "misplaces" his checkbook and his brother points it out on the shelf, then gets defensive when Michael questions how he knew that. Michael then keeps "misplacing" small things and thinks he's going mad. Obviously, it is a plot to ...more
Brenda
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Jane Harcourt has seen the roguish ways of men and has resigned herself to remaining alone the rest of her life. Working as a governess brings her joy but finding herself suddenly without a position, she begins to fret, worried for her future.

Michael Blackstone, Duke of Hayfield, knows all too well the rumors surrounding his wife’s death. For years, he has remained isolated inside his home with his son, allowing his misery and the guilt of her death to consume him. When the latest in a
Mary
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is romantic, suspenseful and dramatic. Michael's grief has left him gullible, oblivious and insecure. Jane is strong, determined and caring. After Jane was forced to leave her position without a reference, she knew it would be hard to get another position so when the opportunity to work for The Duke of Fire came she took it. Believing that he probably killed his wife, and that he was horribly disfigured, she steeled herself against worry and started her job. Only to find that he is a kind, ...more
The Mysterious Reader
I love a well done Regency Romance, and have a special fondness for stories involving dukes (as my poor sweetie knows, I bemoan the fact that he did not turn out to have secretly been one). I love takes of the power of love to redeem damaged souls, and of strong Regency ladies perfectly happy to be “spinsters” if that is their lot in life - until they find their “someone special”. Jane Harcourt, the spinsterish governess in Jennifer Monroe’s The Duke of Fire: Regency Hearts Book 1, is perfect ...more
Carole Burant
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clean Regency romance novel that involves Michael Blackstone, Duke of Hayfield and a governess, Miss Jane Harcourt. Michael, who was badly scarred in a fire that killed his wife and has been in seclusion for 6 years, hires Jane for the position of governess to his young son, Samuel. It doesn't take long before they realize that Jane is the light needed in their lives. Unfortunately, someone is trying to prove that the Duke is going mad and will stop at nothing...even commit murder! I ...more
Sandy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane a governess had to leave her post due to the Lord of the house and of course, the Lady felt Jane had been the problem, not her husband. In turn, she now takes a job with Michael Blackstone as a governess for his son Samuel. There is a dark past for Michael some unknown events that will not become clear until you read the book. Mystery, danger in a story were acceptance and love will take center stage makes this a story that was hard for me to put down. I highly recommend this book it was a ...more
Isha Coleman
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prepare to get caught up in an adventure of the heart. The Duke of Fire is a new beginning for two lonely hearts who never quite fit in. She's the girl with who wants to be loved. He's the man who needs to be loved. Forced into a life of solitude by rumors, Michael is determined to do right by his son. Jane enters his life at just the right time to heal his broken heart and stumble into danger. When dark and light collide, can a happy ending be found? Monroe draws you in by the heart and keeps ...more
Sadie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring characters

This book has so many mistakes in it. There were words missing, misspelled words, incorrect pronouns, and more. I am really not a grammar natzi, but I found it very distracting. The characters were also very boring and 1 dimensional. I think the story line could have been interesting if the characters hadn't been so dull. I dont think that there was much if any thought put into this book, and I would have been upset if I had paid for it.
Tammy
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane doesn’t plan on ever marrying but when she must leave her job without a reference, she becomes worried. Jane ends up working for the Duke of Hayfield, a man believed to have killed his wife and is going man. Is there someone out their wanting to hurt him and now Jane? Fast-paced read with plenty of twists and turns. This historical read is entertaining with great characters. I liked it.
Linda
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am volunteering to leave a review of this ARC book from Hidden Gems. I loved how Ms. Monroe, gradually exposes the reclusive duke to us! Very well done! Jane is hired as governess to his eight year old son. There is a suspense twist to the story that I loved! A beautiful regency romance that will warm your heart! Another great read with Valentine's Day coming!
DENICE
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
LOVE BREAKS THROUGH ALL BOUNDARIES.

A Regency novel that shows the depth of how greed can change people and make them do heinous things. Michael and Jane go through different stages of beliefs and benefits from the caste system. The interaction of these two characters and the outside influences on their beliefs and lives show the fragility of love and strength of the heart.
Sherry Westendorf
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an entertaining story. Easy to see the story plot and what is happening. There are a lot of twists and turns and suspense. She is desperate for a governess job after a series of bad ones. He is desperate for a governess after lots of them quit. I was given a review copy by hidden gems and voluntarily review it.
Diane Horne
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The Duke of Fire (Book 1) By Jennifer Monroe

Four... I feel like I read this type of book before....Jane the governess and Michael the scarred duke and the crazy brother and his wife.. Out to make a crazy so he can replace him..It was okay, boring in some parts.. Typical type of ending..
Niki
After fending off lewd advances from her employer, Jane Harcourt leavers her post as a governess without a reference and finds herself desperate for a new position. Michael Blackstone, the Duke of Hayfield, needs a governess for his son, but with rumors abounding that he's responsible for his wife's death, few want to work for him, especially since he is also badly scarred and appears to be going mad. With no other opportunities available to her, Jane accepts the position and soon finds that the ...more
Martha B.
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Regency Romance with a Gothic Flare

As a governess, Miss Jane Harcourt understood from personal experience how the peerage treated a servant. Although she did not understand their attraction to her, still she again was leaving a position because of the Lord in charge. Was there any place she could teach her charge and not be accosted by her employer.

As a duke, Michael Blackstone, the Fourth Duke of Hayfield understood from personal experience how much guilt and despair a man can endure and
Elizabeth Hernandez
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming regency story!

I enjoyed getting to read this story!
The Duke of Fire known to many as the mysterious duke who never goes in public and was responsible for his wife’s death is in need of a governess. Jane as the governess to his son, knows the rumors surrounding the duke but desperate times calls for desperate measures. Will Jane find a new side to the duke and fall in love with him despite attempting to guard her heart?
Overall I enjoyed reading this novel, it reminded me a lot of
Debbie Odachowski
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story worth reading

I loved this book. Jane had a rough go of it as many governess had during this time. Not only were they servants but we're targets for evil Lords and houseguests. Jane had an inner strength that saved her from such trials but the lot of the governess was never an easy one. Jane's strength and Michael's second chance for love give this story it's ups and downs and twists to the plot. Only when you listen with your heart can you find the truth. Ms Monroe is a great find for me
Nicole Mayfield
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
I am not a Grammer Nazi

Easily could have been a 4 or 5 star if anyone had bothered to read through it once it was finished. I am not picky about grammar, but when he takes her arm in his hand and she proceeds to remove his hand from HIS arm, I'm quite disturbed. That was actually pretty funny but such mistakes happened constantly and some sentences made absolutely no sense. Otherwise I loved the story and became attached to the characters.
Sandra Tomas
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is believed! That blood! Is thicker than water! True or false?

This story will capture your heart, and you will fall in love with the Duke,his son,and the Governess.
To find out if blood is thicker than water, you,ll have to read this wonderful story. As for me! I new the answer to that question before the second chapter.
Dorothy Jensik
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Good tale

I wish there had been an interchange with Anne and David returning to find their home burnt to the ground, and the loan of the cottage while awaiting a new one. Also resolving David's suspicious activity. Otherwise, it was a good read. Thanks, Jennifer Monroe, keep writing.
Karen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Jane has taken a governess position at Micheal's estate. Will he be just like the rest of the ton and try to dally with her? From Michael's perspective, is she a money grabber? Is he losing his mind after his wife burned in the fire?
judy mitchel
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good Regency.......I enjoyed it immensely...if you want descriptive sex etc. forget it..this is a book that treats a woman as a good person..working for a living...for a man haunted by the death of his wife...it is about friendship and caring.
Wanika Martinez
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty Good!!

The story was good, but the duke was weak. He believed everything without question. I wouldn't read it again, but I will read another of her books to see if another male lead is stronger.
Michele Packard-milam
Pretty Good

The story is intriguing and the characters have dimension, but the narrative repeats the same thoughts too many times. This leaves the reader impatient for the plot to move forward.
MJ4S
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had me by the edge of my seat the entire time. Although I had guessed who the villain was right from the start and his motives for what he was doing, I couldn't help but go through page after page while seeing the evil plan unfolding.

• The Lady's Dangerous Love (The Langley Sisters #6)
  • An Earl's Redemption (Brides of London)
  • The Awakening of Lord Ambrose (The Lost Lords #6)
  • To Dare a Duchess (Lords of London Book 5)
  • Seasons of Love: A Sweet Regency Romance
  • The Lady to Match a Rogue: Faith (The Baggington Sisters Book 4)
  • A Duke for Daisy (The Blooming Brides Book 1)
  • Not So Sweet Maria (Sisters By Marriage #1)
  • Charity and the Devil (Rogues & Gentlemen #11)
  • To Marry a Morgan (Pathways to Romance Book 1)
  • Runaway Heart
  • The Rogue and The Earl's Temptation (Rogues and Gentlemen)
  • The Love List (Half Moon House #1)
  • Weddings and Scandals: Regency Romance Collection
  • A Viscount to Remember (Brides of London)
  • A Lady and Her Magic (Faerie, #1)
  • Etiquette with the Devil (Ravensdales, #1)
  • Only a Duke Would Dare  (Seductive Scoundrels, #2)

Like most Regency authors, Jennifer Monroe fell in love with historical novels of dashing dukes and women wishing to be swept off their feet. She believes that no matter how well a romance story is written, love must be the driving force behind the characters.

Born in France to parents who worked for the United Nations, she found herself traveling around the world until she settled down in New York

Regency Hearts (3 books)