Start by marking “Grief & Loss & Love & Sex” as Want to Read:
Grief & Loss & Love & Sex

Grief & Loss & Love & Sex

When Lara Margaret Marjerrison's eldest sister died by suicide her world was rocked off its axis. In an effort to reconcile the irreconcilable, she turned to her creative outlets, primarily painting and poetry. In surrendering fully to her creative process, she found a way to turn her broken heart into art. What remains is a beautiful guidebook to grief and finding life an ...more
Published October 17th 2018 by Inside Stories

Start your review of Grief & Loss & Love & Sex
Brandon Forsyth
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m biased, but I liked this collection of poems so much that my company decided to publish them. If you’ve ever experienced profound loss; if you’ve ever loved a sibling; if you’ve ever healed through creating art - this is poetry you can’t afford to miss.
Maria
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woohoo! First person on goodreads to rate and review this book!

I've been going through a bit of a poetry phase and stumbled across this anthology in the Poetry section at Chapters. I had no idea it was a brand new release, but I liked the premise of it and decided to buy a copy. It's only 50 pages long, so I read through it in 2 sittings.

Grief & Loss & Love & Sex is about all of the above, but mostly grief. Lara's sister passed away by suicide and this is really her response to dealing with that
Lara
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
it is, at times, critical
to look at
at the forefront.

- look again.
Colleen
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book of poetry really touched me. It is probably one of my highest rated books of poetry in quite a while. Honestly, poetry lover or not, everyone should read this one. There is just something about it. I’ll definitely be re-reading this again and again.
Alexandra Topley
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this beautiful book of poetry down. The prose flow and you can feel every word. It touches your soul. A must read for everyone, poetry lover or not.
Valerie Dewar
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
grief&loss&love&sex is a powerful read. It is full of so many different emotions. It will make you laugh and cry. Lara's words will stay with you for a long time and make you go back again and again to read it. A truly beautiful book!
Ayoma De
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Heart felt, beautiful and deeply touching.
Waasmowin-Mnidoo
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Powerful; raw and soft. Thank you for sharing.
Murray Barton
The thoughts and feelings expressed so beautifully will connect those who have experienced a tragic loss of any type. The view forward, the knowledge and the motivation to learn and to share will have meaning to all. Kind, simple and profound perspectives.
Rishab
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good read. Repeat read. Her poetry is like a song.
Steven
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick read! Honest and raw and some really deep moments that makes one think aNd reflect! Good poetry and I would read more as she writes it!
Maggie
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Very heartfelt ♥️
Cathy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t put this book down. Raw, honest and beautifully written. Marjerrison talks so openly and honestly about her grief and I couldn’t stop reading her poems because she gave words to feelings I could never describe. Succinct, heartbreaking, inspiring.. and what it means to be human.
Samantha
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection. Heart breaking at times and many poems resonated with me. The only critique I have is that I feel "Sex" in the title does not seem to fit with the collection itself? ...more
Shawn Aarons
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lara Marjerrison is raw and honest, and uses her words beautifully to express the pain and beauty of her experiences. Very visceral and one can easily relate to the vulnerability of life circumstances. A powerful read.
Dawn C.
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully raw, purely magical ♥️
the.unexpected.reader
First of all, the introduction on Grief & Loss & Love & Sex is completely heart-breaking. HEARTBREAKING.
Lara tells of the devastating death of her sister, Catherine, to mental illness.

The poetry within, tells of her encompassing grief and her journey through other relationships in her life.

Lara Margaret Marjerrison’s 38 poem book is one I plan on keeping for years to come; right next to my other beloved poetry books that are always kept within an arms length
Connie Crosby
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, poetry
How do you deal with grief and loss? Lara Margaret Marjerrison shares her heart-wrenching experience, and her work to deal and to live and to thrive 💕

grief & loss & love & sex is more than a book of poetry. It is a laying bare of the soul, a finding of truths, a search for light. It is a quick read, and it is a book I don’t think I will ever stop reading. I am fortunate that Lara crossed my path last summer, and that I can share her work with you. I highly encourage you to check out this book.
Helle
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
A minority view but I found this poetry banal and uncompelling. I am not a fan of Atticus and his ilk - I do think Marjerrison's work can be grouped in this category. Pleae check out some of our other Canadian poets like M. Travis Lane, Gwendolyn Macewen or P. K. Page for comparison. ...more
Lindsay Mcphee
Jan 31, 2020
trinity
Dec 17, 2020

• Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch, #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
  • Depression & Other Magic Tricks
  • Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • Dark Sacred Night (Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch, #21; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
  • Homerooms and Hall Passes
  • Here I Sit
  • Selected Poems II: 1976 - 1986
  • Uncanny Valley
  • Dear Sir, I Intend to Burn Your Book: An Anatomy of a Book Burning
  • The Essential Earle Birney
  • The Truth About Magic
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family
  • Good Company
Lara Margaret Marjerrrison (elemem) is a spoken word poet, storyteller, and speaker. She subsists mainly on mutter paneer roti and mango lassi, and her main mission in life is to walk barefoot through as many places on earth as possible before she dies. Lara and her son split their time between Toronto, Canada and Eleuthera, Bahamas.