Start by marking “The Forest in the Trees” as Want to Read:
The Forest in the Trees

The Forest in the Trees

It's common knowledge that coast redwoods are tall, tall trees. In fact, they are the tallest trees in the world. What most people don't know is that there is a whole other forest growing high in the canopy of a redwood forest. This adaptation of The House That Jack Built climbs into this secret, hidden habitat full of all kinds of plants and animals that call this forest ...more
Published August 10th 2019 by Arbordale Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Forest in the Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forest in the Trees

Start your review of The Forest in the Trees
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who knew?

High up in the redwoods, there are forests in the trees. There are entire ecosystems located hundreds of feet in the air, with ferns, lichen, salamanders, birds, and even trees living on other trees.

What a fascinating look at this world within a world, with lovely illustrations, and two parallel texts of rhyme and nonfiction writing.
Andrew
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Forest in the Trees is simultaneously a poem that grows as you go-- while also bringing facts about redwood trees and forests, including both the flora and fauna that surround and thrive off of them. Even I learned a few new things about the marvelous redwood trees! Perfect for fans of both poetry and nature-- a double whammy for those who love both!
Kim Thompson
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written in nursery rhyme style, this book is full of beauty and joy as well as being informative. I love the coastal redwoods and thought I knew a lot about them. But I learned many interesting facts in this book. Great resources for teachers as well. Highly recommended!
Kaitlyn
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This cumulative book is absolutely stunning, a perfect representation of the CA coast that I love to visit. It even teaches fun facts that make me, as an adult, say wow!

Like The House That Jack Built, a fun cumulative nursery rhyme, this book uses beautiful rhythm and repetition to keep the reader engaged while subtlety emphasizing all that we've already learned.

The art is a perfect blend of realistic and fun, grabbing the youngest reader's attention while also staying accurate and true to natur
Vera Godley
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have had the opportunity to visit the California coastal area and have seen the magnificent Redwood trees. Awed by their majesty and age yet unaware that in those vaulted treetops lived another forest. The Forest in the Trees is enlightening, and furthermore it makes my heart awestruck by the sheer wonder of it all.

The text is written in a "This is the house that Jack built" rhyming style with repetitive lines building toward the climax. The illustrations are beautiful. The factoids are placed
Conny Reviews
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Deep in the woods near a foggy sea, there’s a hidden forest in the trees,” begins Connie McLennan’s children’s book, The Forest in the Trees.

~ What ~
This oversized thirty-two-unnumbered-page hardbound with a duplicated jacket cover targets children ages seven to ten years old who enjoy an informative story about forests. With no scary scenes, it may be best read out loud to beginner readers due to some complicated wording. Expressive, colorful illustrations grace both sides of the pages.

In this
Susan A Lowe
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This well constructed book is a delightful way to explore the magical habitat of the coast redwoods. Connie McLennan, author and illustrator, does an amazing job bringing the facts of the forest within the trees to life with both her enchanting dialogue and illustrations. This book is a must read for all ages.
Barbara
Sep 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This one is a 3.5 for me, and I finished it with a sense of awe at nature's majesty and the versatility of the coastal redwoods, found only in a small area of the United States. While readers may already know that these redwoods live long lives and are enormous in size, they may not be aware that their canopies provide homes for a wide range of flora and fauna. Relying on cumulative lines similar to "This Is the House That Jack Built," the author pays tributes to these trees. Boxes of informatio ...more
Terry
It took me several attempts to read the whole book. It is essentially two books. On the left pages, there is a rhyming poem that builds on itself to introduce another component of a redwood ecosystem.

I usually LOVE Arbordale Publishing books, but this one was a struggle.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Debra

• The Toothpaste Millionaire
  • The Sea, the Storm, and the Mangrove Tangle
  • The Mangrove Tree: Planting Trees to Feed Families
  • Dorothea Lange: The Photographer Who Found the Faces of the Depression
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • Holes in the Sky
  • Remembering Vera
  • A Green Place to Be: The Creation of Central Park
Connie McLennan spent years as an advertising illustrator before venturing into the world of children’s picture books. She illustrated 13 books for other authors before writing and illustrating her own. A fine artist as well, Connie now juggles painting with writing and illustrating. She is married with one grown son and lives in northern California. Watch for "The Forest in the Trees," a picture ...more

News & Interviews