Start by marking “The Hidden Things” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Things

The Hidden Things

A brilliantly original thriller and a startling, smart, vivid book (Tana French, New York Times bestselling author) from the acclaimed author of Three Graves Fullinspired by the real-life unsolved theft of a seventeenth-century painting.

Twenty-eight seconds.

In less than half a minute, a home-security camera captures the hidden resolve in fourteen-year-old Carly Liddell
Published March 3rd 2020 by Gallery Books (first published August 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Things

Start your review of The Hidden Things
Tammy
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is typical plot-driven thriller fare with the creative premise of the reappearance of a long lost painting from the Gardner Museum heist at its center. Secrets, lies, attempts at selling the masterpiece combined with a plucky, precocious protagonist round out a quick and fast paced read.
Chris Pavone
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love everything about this book--the characters and their relationships, the complex plot and syncopated pacing, the red herring that launches everything, the credible conflicts and mounting tension, and especially the small observations and clever turns of phrase that give the prose so much depth and personality. The story flirts with being ludicrous but never falls off that cliff, imbuing a sense of fun to the whole endeavor, punctuated with poignant moments of raw emotion. A rare ...more
Charlie
Received this book from Goodreads for an HONEST REVIEW.
I'm barely giving this a 3. BARELY.
Takes way too long to make a point on what's going on.
Redundant - REDUNDANT.
There is no meat to this story. Takes 3 or 4 pages to describe a tiny event and then repeats it over and over again. It is not a page-turner. Although I did fast forward - really fast.
On to the next book.
Kathy
Originality is something that readers crave but don't often get. That doesn't mean that great reads don't exist without being considered original. But, when I refer to originality, it is a reference to something unique, a story based on an idea other writers wish they'd thought of, a smack your head moment of creative recognition. Jamie Mason in The Hidden Things has achieved the pinnacle of uniqueness, starting with a brilliant idea and developing it into a story full of unexpected twists and ...more
Alexandra D.
To be honest, I couldnt finish this book. Maybe I expected too much, but the writers style irritates me on a level I cannot explain with words. The descriptions about the characters feelings and other stuff are extremely redundant and also annoying after some point, especially as they dont have an added value to the story maybe theyre just there to fill the pages... This novel is not for me.

Thanks for Gallery Books for the ARC.
CynnieRose
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Working on my WWCD (what would Carly do?) bracelet.
Dianne
It was an art theft that went very wrong, but that was years ago and who would think that one mans twisted greed would backfire when a home invasion and attack on a young girl exposes the truth.

THE HIDDEN THINGS by Jamie Mason is a tense and alluring read as greed meets revenge head on and one mans big secret is caught on video and goes viral. Proof that in todays technology, nothing is private, double-crossing powerful people is dangerous and Karma has no expiration date.

Taut and edgy
Darcia Helle
This story totally hooked me.

The writing has a literary flair, with beautifully crafted sentences and poignant observations throughout.

Pacing is the kind of slow burn that invites us into the characters' minds so we feel the emotions, then gradually builds in urgency and intensity as the truth unravels.

The plot is complex without ever becoming convoluted.

Characters are well developed, realistic, and, I thought, fascinating. I loved Carly! When someone is called "fearless," it doesn't really
Kelly
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was an ARC from Netgalley and I would definitely recommend it. At the same time, I'm realizing how hard it can be for me to click the 5 star button! I liked this one. I would recommend this one. It kept me hooked and reading and I enjoyed it. But it didn't 100% live up to my expectations and convince me to click that fifth star. That's ok! It's still excellent and you should still read it.

I really liked this author. She has a knack for showing not telling, so that you get really sucked into
Mary Mithrilil
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When 14-year-old Carly is attacked at her own doorway, the entrance camera captures more than just her fighting off her attacker bravely. The footage becomes viral, everyone meeting her on the street salutes her for her bravery and strength. But some viewers are more interested in the painting shown hanging at Carly's foyer rather than her heroic act...

What an idea! I picked this one up without second thought. The plot did not disappoint. The characters are a complete puzzle, from smart and sexy
rosalita
With The Hidden Things (Gallery Books, 2019) Jamie Mason has crafted a solid suspense thriller that is firmly rooted in contemporary culture. It all begins when 14-year-old Carly fends off a would-be attacker who follows her home from school. Their encounter in the front hallway of her familys home is captured by the surveillance cameras that her stepfather, John, had installed. Predictably in the 2010s, the video goes viral on social media after first being posted on the local police website. ...more
Onceinabluemoon
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounding up. When this started I hated it, not some stalked young girl being attacked again, I can't read this stuff any more, why on earth did I queue up for this at the library... Luckily, the girl survives and the story begins 😊 it was different, but I did feel it was a bit long but I liked the plot
Sep 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I almost gave up on this novel about a third of the way through. It got better after that and I truly did enjoy the character of Carly very much. She was bright, intuitive, quick on her feet, and independent and I enjoyed all her scenes. I detested her stepfather, John, and that grew the more I read about him. If you can get through the first 100 pages, the book gets better, but I can't give it more than 3 stars because of the slow start. Thanks to Gallery Books for a free copy of this book won ...more
Anne
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started out as a really interesting novel about a stolen painting that is mistakenly caught on a video of young Carly being randomly attacked at her home after school. As her stepfather is the only one who knows its history, he then becomes frantic as he worries about who will see the video and who will know it's in his possession. But of course, in this day and age anything unusual goes viral almost immediately so those that were involved in the scheme years ago see it and the hunt begins. ...more
Plum Report (Kimberly)
I received an ARC edition of The Hidden Things in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Jamie Mason for thinking of me and sending me your book.

First the Facts: This book is a multi-person POV. A suspenseful, crime-fiction story that brings an art deal gone wrong four years ago full circle in the present day when a snippet of the painting from the deal is seen in a home a security video that has gone viral of a young girl being attacked in the foyer of her home.

My thoughts: I enjoyed the
Victoria
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read - and thoroughly enjoyed - the author's debut novel six years ago, so I was excited to hear about this latest title! This book, centering around the aftermath of a shady art deal four years prior to the opening of the novel, immediately hooks in the reader. Told in five perspectives, Mason develops her characters well - even the more villainous ones have their moments of humanity. It's really an exciting book that very quickly becomes quite hard to put down. Carly, though, of all of the ...more
Lisa
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Hidden Things by Jamie Mason has a super interesting premise that immediately sucked me in. A young girl, Carly, is attacked at her home. The entire attack is caught and recorded at different angles on security cameras. Within hours, the footage has gone viral. The security cameras just happened to catch the corner of a painting hung in the home's entryway -- a multi-million-dollar painting that had been stolen four years before.

Before John married Donna, Carly's mom, he was Jonathan. And
Jeff
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hidden Things by Jamie Mason starts with a bang, and doesnt let up! A random attack on a 14 year old girl in her house sets off a chain of events when the homes security cameras capture the attack, and a brief glimpse at a piece of art that hangs on the wall gets the story going. The author deftly introduces the characters and the back story in such a way that it feels like the reader is putting the pieces of a large puzzle together until we see the whole picture. What a great way to tell ...more
Dad
Dec 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I won this book on Goodreads. The description sounding interesting. However, I thought it was one of the most boring books I have read.

It starts off with a teenager being attacked as she enters her home. There is a video camera which films the whole incident. She fights him off, and while viewing the video people can see part of a painting hanging on the wall.

After that I couldn't figure out what was going on. The characters were not likable, there was no great mystery, and honestly I almost
Bruce Holsinger
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[I received an ARC from the publisher.] This was such a page turner, and so compellingly written from the first sentences. The premise of a viral video that affects so many lives in such unpredictable, twisty ways is just fabulous. The Tana French blurb on the front is no exaggeration--highly recommended!
Tiffany
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75⭐ rounded up

We are told over and over again that secrets don't stay secret forever, and that's no different for Johnathan. I'm still thinking about his character and the quote that stuck with me the most was, "This situation needed a good bad guy or a bad good guy. You can decide where youll put me in this story. It makes you wonder if a person is only one thing.

What I loved about this book:

~Carly was one of those characters who you can easily sympathize with and root for throughout the
Lenoire
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A home security camera captures an attack on fourteen-year-old Carly Liddell. The video also shows her heroic escape. The video appears online and becomes a viral hit. As the popularity of the video grows, the lives of four people will be forever changed by an object that is barely visible in the corner.

The object is a stolen four-hundred-year-old painting by a master of the Dutch Golden Age. Carly's stepfather is the only person in their house who knows the history behind the painting and how
Tish
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars. Here's a crime drama revolving around what might have happened to a lesser known work of art that had been stolen and those responsible for stealing it, hiding it, and trying to recover it. The plot was good: plenty of action and suspense. The characters were both a strength and a weakness. I liked how basically decent people could sometimes do things that weren't so decent and how even the bad guys could sometimes be decent. I like those shades of gray. However, some of the ...more
Evelyn
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an early copy of this book.

It started out with a bang, but kinda fizzled out for me in the middle. The best part was teen Carly and her detective skills. Loved Masons other books and while this one not so much, its still a good mystery.
Barbara Schultz
-3 This was okay ~ not one of my favorites
Linda Baker
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Carly Lidell is not your average fourteen-year-old. She survived an attack at her own front door and in the foyer from a local lowlife by fighting back and knocking out he attacker. The whole "thing," as Carly calls it was captured on video by the home security cameras and quickly went viral. Only the corner of a painting hanging in the foyer is visible, but the video is of great interest to several people. The picture is one of the works stolen, a minor one, in the notorious robbery at the ...more
Lesley Henry
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to have won a copy of this book as so many people had entered. It was an even better read than I had expected.
The characters are complex so that they become almost real to you as you follow them thru the intricate twists & turns this novel takes you thru. One minute you think you have it figured out only to have yet another twist thrown at you but it is done in some a clever way that you don't resent it, rather you take it in stride as you work towards the next one. It felt
Alison Wallace Projansky
Jamie Mason has written another thrilling, complicated mystery. A young girl is videotaped in her house fighting off an assault, and it goes viral. A picture of a stolen piece of art is seen in the corner. Carly is an instant hero, but the painting is recognized by the wrong people. I loved the characters, especially Carly, but even the "bad" guys were fascinating. Very descriptive, which I like, and great dialogue.
Donna Siebold
Carly's life changes dramatically after a video of her fending off an attacker goes viral.

It turns out that her step-father, John, has been keeping secrets from Carly and her mother, Donna.

Not just that he installed video cameras in their home without telling them, but that said cameras aren't actually able to send an alarm to the authorities and so much more. Including the fact that the painting hanging in their foyer is stolen.

That John once tried to sell this painting and that several people
Dena
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were several times I thought to set this book aside because it just wasn't doing anything for me. Then, more than halfway through it started getting interesting. But after a couple more chapters it went back to dry and dragging. But Idid finish it, and I can only say, "finally!". I can't imagine why this book has 4 stars. It just wasn't really all that good. Too dry and slow.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Strangers at the Gate
  • Careful What You Wish For
  • The Murder List
  • Stolen Things
  • Pretty as a Picture
  • The Missing Ones (Hester Thursby Mystery #2)
  • What Rose Forgot
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Framed
  • Lost You
  • The Swallows
  • Anything For You (Valerie Hart, #3)
  • I Spy
  • The Look-Alike
  • Mother Knows Best
  • Good Girls Lie
  • All That's Bright and Gone
  • The Burn (Betty Rhyzyk, #2)
Jamie Mason was born in Oklahoma City, but grew up in Washington, D.C. She's most often reading and writing, but in the life left over, she enjoys films, Formula 1 racing, football, traveling, and, conversely, staying at home.

Jamie lives with her husband and two daughters in the mountains of western North Carolina.