Start by marking “The Go-Away Bird” as Want to Read:
The Go-Away Bird

The Go-Away Bird

A gorgeous story about friendship and working together from a star picture-book partnership, the inimitable Julia Donaldson and award-winning Catherine Rayner.

‘The Go-Away bird sat up in her nest, With her fine grey wings and her fine grey crest.’ One by one, the other birds fly into her tree, wanting to talk or to play, but the Go-Away bird just shakes her head and sends
Published March 7th 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about The Go-Away Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Go-Away Bird

Veronica ⭐️
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, childrens
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...

Julia Donaldson’s name is always synonymous with delightful picture books for children and she doesn’t disappoint with her latest offering The Go-Away Bird.

The Go-Away Bird is a beautifully crafted hard cover picture book with blue foil lettering and highlights on the birds wings on the cover, giving it additional shelf appeal.

On the title page the star of the story stills alone, just how she likes it, in an exquisitely illustrated tree.
Different birds dr
Elaine
This is another fantastic children's book from this highly talented duo. It is engaging, entertaining, educational and, most of all, a fun read that children really enjoy. The beautiful illustrations enhance the story and promote the engagement of youngsters whether they can read or not. The repetitive lines in the story encourage children to join in with the telling of the story, something many children love.

The story is essentially that there is a bird who is called 'The Go Away Bird' because
Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf)
Julia Donaldson can officially do NO WRONG when it comes to writing AMAZING children's books! They are all SO MUCH FUN!

The Go-Away bird is the story of a very grumpy bird! "GO AWAY" he yells at all the nice birds that come near her! She isn't interested in friends! However, she may soon need some!

Beautiful message, beautiful story and GORGEOUS illustrations, The Go-Away bird is a pleasure to read to the kids!

>The illustrations are wonderful and colourful. The birds are beautiful and jump ou
Lel Budge
Shelves: netgalley
What an absolutely delightful story, the fine grey, Go-Away bird, doesn’t want to be bothered by the other birds, they make her dizzy, seedy, and batty.....Go-Away Go-Away.....

But then along comes the Get-You bird, it’s big, brown and scary...what’s going to happen ? Phew, luckily, thanks to the Come-Back bird, the other birds fly back and together they send the Get-You bird on its way. A charming tale of teamwork and friendship, sometimes we just need others for a little help. A beautiful tale
Rebecca
The grey go-away-bird is a real African species (so named because of what its call sounds like it is saying), but here Donaldson imagines it as a loner who shoos away all potential friends, until realizing that it can be helpful to have other birds around for back-up. The text is full of counting, rhymes, alliteration and onomatopoeia, so should be perfect for reading aloud with children. (Apart from the go-away bird itself, the other birds pictured are not necessarily recognizable species, whic ...more
Ritu Bhathal
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many thanks to Pan Macmillan and NetGalley for providing me with an arc for my honest review.

As a mother I have loved Julia Donaldson's books, to read to my children. As an aunt, I have ensured my nephews have received many of her books so they can enjoy them in Finland. As a teacher, I have used her stories to enhance learning and entrance my students with her beautifully crafted stories.

I always love the underlying messages in the stories, and The Go-Away Bird is no different.

Using flowing rh
Vivienne
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My thanks to Pan Macmillan/Macmillan Children’s Books for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Go-Away Bird’ written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Catherine Rayner.

This enchanting story, told in rhyming verse, is about a standoffish bird that learns the value of friendship and working together. Being a bit insular myself I found it heartwarming and a reminder of the importance of having meaningful connections.

According to the notes at the end of the picture book the Go-Away Bird is a real speci
Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)
I received an e-ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I read this with my 2 year old, who is a massive fan of all Julia Donaldson books. I find most of Julia's books consist of a really strong story line with an important underlying message which allows a parent or teacher to open up a conversation about the topic.

The Go-Away Bird is a wonderful example of this, and a timely arrival for me personally as my daughter has reached the age where socialising, sharing, being
L A
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, when it's a Julia Donaldson book you know it's going to be a winner. If you're a parent you have probably read some of these books to your children and if you haven't, then your children's school teachers most likely have.

This book tells the story of the Go-Away bird who tells every bird who tries to interact with her to go away. As someone who frequently feels like the Go-Away bird I have to confess to feeling a bit of camaraderie with her. The overall message I suppose is one about the n
Dimity Powell
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-lit
Donaldson does not disappoint with this new title. Sumptuously presented in cloth and sparkling font, the hardcover format is a treasure to open. Rayner's illustrations prompt and ooh and ahh with every page turn. They are divine, beautifully depicting the real life Go-Away bird whose call sounds just like grey bird in th

She is quite content with her own company and rudely berates the special qualities each of her callers tries to share with her. It's not until the Get-You bird refuses to go-awa
Theediscerning
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.

In the scheme of things, this seems like a slight Julia Donaldson picture book. Inspired by an encounter with a real-life African bird, it's the simple tale of a character that shrugs off all attention and friendship – until a different kind of bird comes along. It's got just about enough drama, repetition and of course fully successful rhyme to make it appealing, but no magic to put it on the 'timeless' shelf. I didn't find much magic in the artwork, either – the way the
Nicola
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah I loved this! It's charming, funny and it has a lovely rhythm to it as well as a lesson to be learned. 100% classic Julia Donaldson.

Now I'm going to admit Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler are the dream team of childrens books in my head (probably because their books where my son's favourites when he was little) but the pictures in The Go-Away Bird, drawn by a different artist, were beautiful and engaging and complimented the story wonderfully well forcing me to re-evaluate my knee jerk reac
Emma Smith
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, kids
My kids loved this story. The rhyme was lots of fun for the youngest, with Julia Donaldson’s easy to read style and flow of the story. My eldest enjoyed talking through the meaning of the story and why we should be nice to others even when we’re feeling lonely or sad. A beautiful story about the loyalty of others, and the powner of friendship, in this situation when it doesn’t feel deserved by the go away bird. A great way to talk to children about being kind to those who aren’t our friends, and ...more
Dawn Woods
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Go-Away bird repeatedly tells other birds to 'go away'. He thinks he wants to be left alone. But when he needs friends around, they still come to his aid as true friends will. The Go Away bird is suitably ashamed and together they survive to see another day.
Julia Donaldson uses her usual rhymes, sometimes more forced than at other times, but the repetition will encourage children to join in. All children will experience at some time the feeling that they want to be left alone. That's fine, a
Bev
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julia Donaldson's rhyming text and Catherine Rayner's colourful illustrations are always a winning combination and the Go-Away Bird is a lovely story about pride going before a fall and the power of friendship. The bright colours and intricate leaf details are just wonderful and the get-You bird is suitable dark and intimidating. The book would make a fab read aloud and there are plenty of discussion points along the theme of teamwork and relationships.
Amanda Williams
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely storyline that kept my interest throughout. It had a lovely moral lesson to be learned and the illustrations were stunning. This is definitely one book that you will adore adding to your collection today. An amazing classic you can enjoy reading again and again. Totally worth it.
Hannah-lynette Hunter
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book. The rhymes are pretty, the story is a treat and most importantly; there's a message for little ones to learn.
The illustrations are a beautiful companion to the narrative and have ensured I've put this on my ’must buy’ list for every little one this Easter.
Sabrina
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The Go Away bird thinks she doesn't need the company of any of the other colourful birds. They just annoy her! But when she's in trouble she realises the value of friendship.
Lovely illustrations and a cute message.
Hannah
The Go-Away Bird is my patronus.
Stacey Bookerworm
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Go-Away Bird by Julia Donaldson is easy to read and contains beautiful illustrations.

Read more of our review here: http://www.bookerworm.com/reviews/521...
Carmel
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, favorites
Just shared it with two classes of Year One classes and they loved it!
Verity W
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A really lovely children's book with a great rhythm and lovely illustrations. And the message about friends is nice too.

***Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****
Summer Lambert
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely illustrations
Karen Kingston
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Children’s Books for a digital copy of this book. Having shared many Julia Donaldson books with my own children and primary school children, I’m happy to confirm that this is of the standard everyone expects from Julia Donaldson. I definitely recommend this for use in primary schools when discussing friendship issues.
Karen Whittard
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the go away bird. Teaching children always to be kind because you never know when you will need the kindness of others.ovely tale.
Jenni
I’m a big fan of Julia Donaldson’s so I was sad to read this and be left feeling underwhelmed. It’s missing some of the magic her books usually bring. I’m sure it will find a welcoming audience, but for me it’s just a bit of a miss.

With thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the review copy.
Becks
Mar 03, 2019
Peter Wild
Jan 28, 2019
Erin Holding
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Julia Donaldson does it again!!! A true children's literary genius. The story anchored by facts and so beautifully illustrated is sure to be another hit to add to her repertoire. My 15 month old son loved this and kept shouting "Go away! Go away! Go away!" a wonderful story with a great moral behind it. As a teacher this book would be a great starting point for social skills, communication or relationships lessons. As a parent it is a catchy bed time read... Really enjoyed this!
Shirley
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fabulous picture book and one which is destined to become another Julia Donaldson classic, I feel.

It is a simple story which can be read just as that, a story. But it is also a launchpad for parents, carers and teachers to explore with young children a variety of concepts eg friendship, kindness, colours, sharing, danger, teamwork etc. It is also a great vehicle for exploring language - poetry, vocabulary, rhymes etc.

Catherine Rayner's vibrant, colourful, detailed illustrations are so eye
Growing up
I grew up in a tall Victorian London house with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle, younger sister Mary and cat Geoffrey (who was really a prince in disguise. Mary and I would argue about which of us would marry him).

Mary and I were always creating imaginary characters and mimicking real ones, and I used to write shows and choreograph ballets for us. A wind-up gramophone wafted out Cho