Start by marking “The Harm Tree” as Want to Read:
The Harm Tree

The Harm Tree

An epic fantasy set in a world still recovering from one war, and on the brink of another.

The resistance is rising and dark forces stir to take back what was once theirs. Belief in the ancient gods runs strong—the sacrificial Harm Tree still stands.

You’re too young to remember why we needed heroes. You should be glad…
Nine years ago, two princes waged a bloody civil war
Paperback, First Edition, 464 pages
Expected publication: July 19th 2019 by UCLan Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Harm Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harm Tree

Rachael
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
This was an ARC I picked up at the 2019 Northern YA Literary Festival. When I met the author, Rose Edwards, she signed my book with a note thanking me for being an early reader. I would like to thank Rose for writing this (and UCLan Publishing for publishing it) because I really enjoyed it.
The Harm Tree is a fantasy novel about a country recovering from a war and about to enter into another one. Thrown into the middle of this are two friends, Torny and Ebba, who end up on opposing sides of the w
AmyJD
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m so impressed by this book, and Rose Edwards really is a brilliant writer. I highly recommend this book and will definitely be keeping my eye on this author.
I was hooked from the beginning and stayed invested until the very end. No irks or qualms ever, just a great story with fantastic characters. Not to mention depth and a thought through history and context to develop her world on top of (and blimey, is Rose Edwards good at world building).
Really really REALLY good.
Hari Rai
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love books, of course, but I have to confess I'm actually a terribly distracted reader. It takes quite a page turner to keep me in the same spot for over half an hour at a time, and I can count on one hand the times I've been so utterly enthralled by something that I stayed up all night to finish it. The Two Towers was one. The Harm Tree was another. It pulls you in quietly but fiercely, like a rip tide, but without the unpleasant results.

There are a lot of things to love about this book, fro
Charlotte Rothwell
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Harm Tree is absolutely phenomenal. I was gripped from the very beginning and could not put it down. Rose Edwards magnificently navigates you through a kingdom on the brink of war and takes you on a journey filled with fear, grief and power. You fall in love with characters and experience their journey as your own. Brilliantly written and absolutely amazing!!
Beth Knight
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so lucky to get an ARC of this. Rose Edwards debut is STUNNING. At the collision of the old ways and the new ways two best friends friend themselves manipulated on opposite sides of a war. Beautifully crafted from norse inspired roots I enjoyed every second of Ebba and Torny's journeys. There is never a right side. And this beautiful explores so much of life, faith, love and loss. Keep an eye on Rose. She's going to go a long way.
Devronius
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's difficult not to pidgeonhole certain types of books. Young adult fiction carries a certain level of stigma and snobbery against it because it is marketed to teenagers, and usually teenage girls. That kind of mentality will prevent you from reading some of the most accomplished and interesting writing around. Many people would turn their noses up at the description of The Harm Tree, as a story of two young girls trying to find their way in a country divided by religious and political tension ...more
James Phoenix
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
***CALLING ALL YA FANTASY FANS***

Your mission is to pick up a copy of The Harm Tree and immerse yourself in its unique, complex world. Here's why:

Arnsgard is a world divided. The effects of a war between the royal family ten years prior is still being felt between the four regions. Two best friends are torn from their home and each other and thrust into the desolate lands that surround them. Soon they're encompassed in what promises to be a revival of the decade-old war, will they play the part
Logan
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given a copy of this at a YA festival, and after hearing Rose talk on a panel about fantasy and feminism. The way she spoke about writing and the amount of thought she'd clearly put into it - I knew it was going to be great, and I wasn't disappointed. The protagonists are layered young women, the world-building is great (I hope there are going to be lots of books set in this 'verse, because there are so many stories that could be told here), and the plot moves smartly. It finds a great bal ...more
Johanna Marton