Start by marking “Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer” as Want to Read:
Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer

Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

After snagging his toe, Mr. Nogginbody makes a visit to his local hardware store in search of solutions. Armed with a shiny new hammer, he successfully fixes the nail protruding from his floor. But the satisfaction of his first repair carries him away, and he figures that anything resembling a nail—from a
Published September 3rd 2019 by Norton Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer

Start your review of Mr. Nogginbody Gets a Hammer
Betsy
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know that old phrase, “A victim of your own success”? I think about it a lot in terms of bestselling children’s authors. If you’ve done marvelously well because you’ve taken risks in the past, are you less inclined to take more risks in the future? Do you feel hampered in some way by the expectations set upon you? I think for some creators, you have to find a backdoor. And that backdoor, honestly, tends to be found in small publishing houses and small imprints. That’s why you might see Mac B ...more
Abby Johnson
When Mr. Nogginbody discovers a loose floorboard in his home, he purchases a hammer to repair it and then enthusiastically goes about "repairing" everything that looks slightly like a nail. This is a funny story about a well-meaning guy making a mess but doing his best to fix it in the end. Hand to fans of MINERVA LOUISE or AMELIA BEDELIA.
Jacki
Sep 07, 2019 added it
Shelves: picture-book
So much WTF going on here.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many bosses I have had that I wish would have read this book!
Tatiana
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Our conclusion was that this Ms. Nogginbody is... not smart, to put it mildly.
Amanda Blau
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I had a hammer. . . Mr. Nogginbody hammers anything vaguely nail shaped until he learns about finding the right tool for the job. Good fun!
Jessica
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
My children (8 and 5) found it to be hysterical!
Rosan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining and charming. Mr. Nogginbody recognizes objects similar to a nail, but discovers that not everything is another nail. The one-stop cure all for a nail is not always a hammer, especially when it’s alive or involves water. Children will be laughing and cheering Mr. Nogginbody to look more closely before he swings his hammer.
Rebecca Ann
This is an interesting new addition from David Shannon. I couldn't really decide if I liked it or not due to the extreme creepiness of the illustrations. All the characters are headless torsos with faces in their chest. Honestly, I think they will haunt my dreams, but maybe kids would think it was cool instead? I did love the simple preschool-level message about using the right tool for the right job. The basic premise of the story is "when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail". It co ...more
Casey
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and weird. My five year old boy loved it. He's starting to read and was thrilled to read parts of it himself. It was fun to hear him cracking up on certain pages, from the next room.
Destinee Sutton
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, picture-books
This is delightful except for the part where the main character is headless and has a face on his torso. He looks like Humpty Dumpty, which could be cute, but somehow the effect is off-putting.

Nevertheless, yelling "Fixed it!" while you go around smashing things with a hammer is hilarious.
Stephanie Bange
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
David Shannon has done it again -- created a lovable character whose foibles will enchant young and old alike.

When Mr. Nogginbody catches his sock on a popped nail, he goes to the hardware store to find a solution -- a hammer to smack it down. Once he succeeds at that, he sees nails here, there, and everywhere -- whacking them all down in the process -- until he realizes that not everything that looks like a nail is a nail and runs back to his favorite fix-it store.

Shanno
Kelly
Sep 23, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019
This book is weird, right? I mean, maybe it's funny? But it's definitely original? I have no problem with him not having a head/only having a head. I could see a kid using his hammer on everything, and this is a kid's book, but an adult who can purchase things should know better, unless he's an alien? I'm really digging too much into this. I think you could do a cute version of a kid using his hammer on everything and learning how to take care of things nicely.
Michele Knott
This is a book I would use for "what is it really all about". Mr. Nogginbody thinks he can fix everything with a hammer. What what looks like a nail, isn't always a nail. Good springboard to talk about how we don't treat everything, or everybody, the same. We need to approach each situation individually.
Dana
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kind of creepy, but funny.
Dana
Sep 16, 2019 marked it as picture-books
I have questions...
Heather
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

These illustrations will either delight or scare you.

I choose delight!
Katy
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kids will giggle themselves silly over this book.
Colorado Buck
fun story - if i had a hammer.... expanded upon. could sing that song before you read the story. hammers are not for everything. this guy will have to learn that message the hard way.
Andréa
Jun 28, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, a-owns, picture-books
Note: I received an arc of this book from the publisher at ALA Annual 2019.
Alicia
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read aloud that will have children rolling on the floor with laughter. I can't wait to book talk this one at the nearby schools!
Elisabeth
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, David! I could just hear the future giggles this book is absolutely going to produce!
Tami
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Mr. Nogginbody snags his sock on the floor while sliding across it. Looking at the nail sticking up slightly from the floor, Mr. Nogginbody wonders:
How in the world do I fix this thing?

At the Hardware Store he is told what he saw was a nail and that to fix it he needs a hammer. Mr. Nogginbody returns home with his hammer. Through a little trial and error he figures out how to use the hammer to tap the nail down until it's flush with the floor's surface and joyfully exclaims:
I fixed it!

The probl/>I/>How
Amanda
I don't know how to rate this. In some ways it reminds me of the old slapstick silent films from the 1920s with the big, wide-open mouths and the comical reactions and the spoofing and the overdone actions and reactions. Everything SO BIG and SO FUNNY as our hero clowns around his world and figures things out (hahaha!) or doesn't figure things out.

I want to try it in storytime and see how it goes over. The whole concept of a head that is a body is totally trippy, and the whole MC bei
Angela
Oof, I had a hard time looking past the illustrations... Mr. Nogginbody will probably make a guest appearance in my nightmares tonight. 8C That said, this is a very funny story! Mr. Nogginbody gets a little TOO enthusiastic about trying out his new hammer and leaves a trail of destruction in his wake, and it's a lot of fun to watch. The ending message, the importance of using the right tool for the right task, is great for young kids.
Alex Onslow
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
grade: k-2

Soo, this book is alright.. it's basically about an egg that has a problem and doesn't know how to fix it. Soon he tries to fix it with a hammer and it has some success. He associates this with fixing things and the rest of the book is about him trying to fix everything with this hammer, obviously making things worse. The end.

Focus- association, can't fix everything with one thing
Sheri
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mr. Nogginbody is a different sort of character shaped like an egg and likes to slide in his socks. But he finds a nail in the floor that needs fixing. Mr. Nogginbody should never be given a hammer because he creates new problems along the way. Mr. Nogginbody is more like a destructive child but his intentions are good.
Peacegal
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
When the only tool you have is a hammer
Everything looks like a nail
And you're living at the Bittersweet Motel...

Some very...unique...characters illustrate the meaning of the old saying about hammers and nails. Would make for some good conversations about how one tool isn't right for every job!
Diane
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
“Maybe I can’t fix everything with a hammer. Because not everything is a nail.”

When a nail is sticking up in the floor, Mr. Nogginbody runs to the hardware store and buys a hammer. Suddenly, everything looks like a nail to him and he does a lot of damage before he figures things out.
Benjamin Elliott
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting story, good idea for a message. I wasn't a huge fan of the the art style though. The design for Mr. Nogginbody himself mostly works, but a couple of his compatriots (particularly the overall clad hardware store employee) look rather creepy.

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • Fly!
  • A Place to Land: Martin Luther King Jr. and the Speech That Inspired a Nation
  • I'm Worried
  • This Book of Mine
David Shannon is the author and illustrator of many highly praised books for children. Born in Washington, D.C., he grew up in Spokane, Washington. He graduated from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, with a fine arts degree, and then moved to New York City. His editorial illustrations have appeared in The New York Times, Time, and Rolling Stone, and his artwork has appeared ...more