Start by marking “The Mark of Fallen Flame (Weapon of Fire and Ash #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of Fallen Flame (Weapon of Fire and Ash #1)

The Mark of Fallen Flame (Weapon of Fire and Ash #1)

Emma:
A seventeen-year-old girl just trying to find a place in an unsteady world. With her mother moving them around her entire life, no one has been permanent.
When senior year begins, Emma is determined to sink some roots into Seattle and finally start living life. Especially when she discovers she has the power to kill terrifying monsters with a single touch. Suddenly,
Published May 31st 2019 by Brittany Matsen

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of Fallen Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of Fallen Flame

Start your review of The Mark of Fallen Flame (Weapon of Fire and Ash #1)
linzie
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my non-spoiler review, but there is a review with spoilers down below this one.

I thought this book was really good. I liked how even though this was a fantasy book, the characters still felt real and human. The world that the author created was so cool and interesting, but I wish that there were more descriptions and information about it. There is so much action packed into this book! It was hard for me to stop reading because it was so intense! Overall, I give this book a 90/100, just
T Steele
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Anthony
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a powerful fantasy driven narrative that did a marvelous job of creating a new mythology that readers will instantly be enthralled by. Powerful and creepy creatures blended perfectly with relatable and interesting characters to drive the novel forward at a reasonable pace.

The thing I love about this book besides the unique mythology created by the author was how the book didn’t waste anytime jumping into the action of the plot. From the first 20 pages or so the author takes readers head
Teralyn Mitchell
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

This was a great debut novel that I enjoyed. The story was well done and unique. I love a story with fallen angels and demons. No one is ever all good or all bad and I think that is something Emma will find out as the series progresses. I still want to learn more about the different species that Emma has to deal with. I feel like there is more to both that we haven't gotten a chance to see yet. Emma could be stubborn and she
Amber
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay let’s start off by saying I finished this book within 24hrs that’s how bloody fantastic it is!

This story was so well written it threw me into a fantasy filled world full of sexy demon slayers, possessive demons who craved to take control and fierce women who can conquer the world.

The story line was very easy to follow and sucks you in from the get go. It has supernatural creatures, hunky men, warrior women, lots of violence and romance. A book made for Dark Fantasy lovers ;)

Well done
krissy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
The Mark of Fallen Flame by Brittany Matsen is a fantasy/sci-fi novel based with two main perspectives. One is from a girl named Emma, she has an encounter one night with her best friend and the power she felt that night had to be something special. Levaroth is a demon or a type of Shediem. After hearing of that night about a girl who turned people into dust, he knew he had to get to her. Emma and Levaroth meet in unexpected instances. Levaroth wants to serve his “boss” as loyally as he can, but ...more
Daisy Sauceda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
*** I voluntarily reviewed this after receiving a free copy.***

***SPOILER ALERT***

You will meet 17 year old Emma Duvall who wants to be a normal teenager. As you read you learn that it is just her and her mother who happen to moves around a lot. Her Mother Laura is hiding a big secret from her daughter Emma. In the meantime Emma and her friend Addrienne are starting their senior year in high school. Emma start getting these strange feelings when something is around her and does not know why. She
Ava Larksen
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a YA fantasy with a rich world and loads of mystery that kept me turning the page to find out more, right through to the very end. Brittany Matsen has done a marvellous job building an elaborate world and crafting a tale of a strong-female lead, Emma, to discover who she is and where she comes from. Fans who love darker fantasy stories that are balanced with lightness and sweetness will love this one.

This is the first book in the series of Weapon of Fire and Ash.

While Emma's mother is
Kevin Sieswerda
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mark of Fallen Flame was a great book. The story grabbed my attention and kept me reading. I like how some of the common tropes of these type of books were thrown on their head with how some of the characters turn out. I had to read the book twice to do the review as I was too engrossed in it the first time around to actually read it critically. I can’t wait to see where this series goes in the future!
The book is a good mix of action and character development. The characters feel like real
Ally McKalli
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE MARK OF THE FALLEN FLAME REVIEW

Just a truly magical read! I was hooked from the first chapter. Think City of Bones but without the whole chapter describing a single hallway!

The story is told in multiple POV which I just love. We flick between the MC Emma, Levaroth the demon general and occasionally Emma’s mother Laura.

Emma is prone to getting herself into the worst situations but has a trick up her sleeve... she can absorb the powers of demons! This, as I’m sure you can imagine, comes as
Trisha
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma's life has not been that of your average normal teenager. Emma has moved from place to place by her mother who is hiding a big secret from her.

The action picks up quite early on in the story as Emma begins to discover another world filled with demons. As she attempts to discover how she fits into this new world, she meets a new boy in school who is not what he seems and Blaze thus creating the love triangle (if we can call it that) for this series - FYI I am rooting for Emma and Blaze.

I am
Colette Christian
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love love loved this book! It has everything I love in a YA book and i found it really original! I always fall for the bad boy and I kind of hope Emma does the same! I'm so sad to finish this book but super excited to find out there's more... can I read them now please?
A story about family, magic and romance, Emma finds out her life isn't what it seems and a reason her mother has been so protective all of her life. One event on a night out with her friend is a catalyst for everything around
Ga Books LoverX
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoa, super intense read and I absolutely loved it. Be warned that this book has a LOT going on and you need to make sure that you pay attention to everything!

Emma is not an average teenager and her mother has a huge secret that she has not shared with her. Due to this Emma and Laura move around... a lot! Honestly, she is almost 18, it might have been a bit more beneficial to let her know about this but anywho.

This book is a freaking tailspin of craziness and finding out that things are not
Erikka
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-arc
Overall I enjoyed this book, it quickly caught my interest and kept it the whole time. It wasn't at "can't put down" level for me, but anything that keeps me interested throughout is worthwhile. I did get one moment of "make up your mind already.." and then the story moved along.

As a YA it follows the whole good vs evil theme, and following the lead character Emma, a high schooler who moves around a lot, there is of course some romantic tension with both good and evil male characters.

I also
Kayla Cox
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In her debut novel, The Mark of Fallen Flame, Matsen expertly weaves a story full of mystery, romance, violence, and some extremely ugly demons. From page one, Matsen will have you desperately trying to solve the many mysteries housed within the novel and asking yourself, "who is the true villain of this story?" This novel is an absolute joy to read, and I feel certain it will earn its place as one of the best novels of the genre. I think we can all expect great things from Matsen as the series ...more
Emily
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is solid YA fantasy: battle between good and evil, good juxtaposition between life as a normal senior in high school and experiences after she discovers her powers, well fleshed out world/ characters and chaste but still sexy. It's a quick read, but maybe a little repetitive (same foes over and over) and a not enough strong female roles. However, overall a very enjoyable and engaging read. I read it in less than a week and it kept me off Instagram. (ARC)
Tina Genick
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This YA series begins in typical fashion with our main character Emma Duvall blissfully unaware of what lies in the shadows. She gets a rude awaking quite early on giving the story momentum.

To read more visit my blog
Mrsclark05
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! The characters are so likable and the story was super original! Can’t wait for more! ...more
Emily
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t read as much YA fantasy as I use to, and honestly, I miss it. When I was given the chance to read The Mark of Fallen Flame, I jumped at the opportunity to fall into a whole new fantasy world, and Matsen did not disappoint. The fantasy world created in this book was well developed and thought out, and set the story up with a rich backdrop of mystery that kept the reader intrigued and interested.

Emma is a senior in highschool, and is hoping to avoid moving again with her mother, and
Mary Freedman
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I will try to contain my excitement and get through this review without any spoilers.

I was privileged to be one of the first to read this book and I was so glad that it is book 1 of 3. I am a huge fan of YA fiction and here is the short and sweet, one-sentence, review first:

In a genre which is bloated in both the high-fantasy and dystopian realm, 'The Mark of Fallen Flame' stands alone with a perfect mix of fantasy and real world.

I love faerie fiction, and the against-all-odds struggles
Denise H
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a nice surprise and I really enjoyed it. It was definitely a page-turner and full of excitement, suspense, drama, and the stirrings of young love. The story focuses on Emma and her journey to discovery; to understand her past, her powers and learn who she truly was as well as what she could do. There had always been an air of caution and urgency around her life as her mother frequently shuffled them from place to place at a last minutes notice, her mother always keeping her close, ...more
R G Johnson
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Emma has moved around a lot in secret not knowing why. Now she is faced with a life and death situation and her touch kills the strange creatures attacking them. She is thrown into the world of shidiem and doesn’t know what she is. Her mother has shielded her from the threat all her life hasn’t let Emma know who her Father is. Now she is turning 18 and in for a bumpy ride.
A really good read and of a good length too. The story ends
Scarolet Ellis
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Mark of Fallen Flame (Weapon of Fire and Ash #1) by Brittany M. Matsen is a wonderful story that I loved reading very much. This is book number one in this wonderful start to a brans new series writen by a brand newauthor for me to read. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and paranormal romances in their stories.

Payton Taylor
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing!! Reminded me a bit of Jennifer Armentrouts “White hot kiss” which I loved as well!! It has everything I typically look for in a book—magic, romance, action, etc. would definitely recommend!
Natalie Reddy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obsessed with this book!

I freaking loved this book! It was one of my favorites of this year! I blew through it in a couple days. It was sexy, disturbing and crazy action packed in all the best ways! Matsen has a beautiful descriptive writing style that makes you feel like you're right there. I loved Emma and her fierceness. She was a character that I rooted for the whole time. And Levaroth despite being pure evil definitely found a place in my heart. Can't wait for book two!
Brittany
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A tale of friendship, a bond between mother and daughter, and the fight against the allure of darkness. Twisty, snarky villains, powerful females and betrayal. I hope everyone loves Emma and Levaroth as much as I do!
Natalie Reddy
Jun 02, 2019
Isabela Tala
rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2019
Advanced Copies f...: ARC reviewers needed for YA Paranormal/Urban Fantasy 48 182 Jun 05, 2019 08:44PM

• Lucid Dreaming
  • Tenebrasco (The Pearl Wielder Trilogy, #1)
  • Wide Awake
  • A Pizza My Heart (Slice #1)
  • Palace of Moonlight
  • Lies
  • Make Me Bad
  • Louisiana Latte
  • Tumble (Dogwood Lane, #1)
  • Getting Played (Getting Some, #2)
  • Me, Jane
  • A Pack of Blood and Lies
  • Trying to Score (Hot Jocks, #3)
  • Stolen: If it doesn't come to you willingly... you take it. (The Stolen Trilogy Book 1)
  • Crossroads and the Dominion of Four
  • Charmed Empire (Empire #1)
  • The Lady Raven: A Dark Cinderella Tale