Start by marking “Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)

Newly Wed and Slightly Dead

(A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)

Nothing ruins a rehearsal dinner quite like a passive-aggressive toast from the unhappy mother of the groom. Things go from bad to yikes when she’s found reduced to a pile of ashes and couture and the bride is pegged as the one wielding the wooden stake.

When a vampire marries a human, things are bound to get messy…

After years spent working the birthday party and baby s
Published February 14th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Newly Wed and Slightly Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Newly Wed and Slightly Dead

Start your review of Newly Wed and Slightly Dead (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #1)
Kat
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
I downloaded this one as a freebie on Amazon and it was a great find! Anastasia is a witch and a wedding planner for supernaturals. Unfortunately, her latest wedding is turning out to be a something of a disaster. A vampire is marrying a human, the mother of the groom isn’t happy about the two species mixing, and when she turns up dead, accusations fly. This was cute and fun. Will definitely have to try more in this series!

Please excuse typos/name misspellings. Entered on screen reader.
Jeri
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Good story! Got a wedding planner for the supernatural dealing with a nightmare mother of the groom that is a vampire marrying a human. When the meddling future mother in law is found as a pile of ashes at the rehearsal dinner the bride is the prime suspect. There is a twist at the end, but it didn't leave you hanging like most series books do. ...more
Jana Gundy
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun and delightful!

I truly enjoy each series and book this author writes and I loved this new one! Anastasia is such a fun character to read and I loved how she handled all of life’s messes. Her love interest, Caleb, was great, he wasn’t arrogant or a jerk and that was mystery was excellent and I look forward to the next one.
Nola Arganbright
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
To turn or not to turn.

A short cozy about a wedding planner in a paranormal area who tries to help a human and vampire through a family objection to the marriage.
☕️Kimberly
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anastasia Winters finally has her corner office at the most respected and highly sought after event planner and working her first major wedding when things go terribly wrong at the rehearsal dinner.

The bride is human, and the groom a vampire from a powerful line. The Groom’s mother has done nothing short of torture towards the young bride and poor Anastasia. Last-minute changes and demands Anastasia can handle after all the Mother-in-Law is footing the bill. This wedding’s success will make or b
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Newly Wed and Slightly Dead kicks off the third spin-off series from the wonderful Beechwood Harbor Magic Mysteries series by Danielle Garrett. The series features magical wedding planner, Anastasia Winters, a longtime friend of Holly Bolt (of the Beechwood Harbor series). While there is a loose connection between the series, Newly Wed and Slightly Dead is very much a standalone, and knowledge of the original series is not needed.

Anastasia has worked tirelessly over the past six years to earn a
Sophia
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
After blasting my way through the Beechwood Harbor Magic and Beechwood Harbor Ghost mysteries, I was thrilled the author had begun another spinoff series featuring Holly (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mysteries heroine) Boldt's bestie back in the Seattle Haven, event planner witch, Anastasia Winters.

Newly Wed and Slightly Dead picks up with Anastasia having recently made senior event planner status and working on one of the biggest wedding accounts of the year, a vampire-human wedding for the Vanguard
Sandee
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good spinoff series from Danielle. Both the main characters, Ana and Caleb are down-to-earth and use their brains instead of their paranormal abilities to work the mystery. Lots of emotions, drama and the start of a sweet romance.
Piper
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful new series with great and likable characters.
Melanie
My review and an extended sample of the audiobook are posted at Hotlistens.com.

I’ve really enjoyed the first two series I’ve listened to by Danielle Garrett, Beechwood Harbor Magic Mystery and Beechwood Harbor Ghost Mystery). This series is a spinoff from those series, but takes place in the Seattle Haven. It follows Anastasia, a supernatural wedding planner as she tries to make a wedding between a human and vampire something that will never be forgotten, but not in the way it turns out.

Anastasi
Srivalli Rekha
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Light-hearted and funny. There wasn't too much supernatural stuff so it was easy to follow. The story gathered pace in the second half. ...more
Mummy's Naughty Corner
This was a good start to the series. I found it entertaining and interesting. I liked the mystery part and finding out about the world. although it's not the ending they wanted I did like it and thought it fitted the story well. I liked the way that the events organizer had to solve the mystery and all the fun that came with that. ...more
Dalma
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book

I enjoyed this book immensely. Not my usual read, but it will be in the future. There was magic (which I am a fan of and am familiar with), budding romance and mystery. All good in my book.
Krystyna
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The green eyed monster strikes

A good read. It just seemed to miss out on being great. Possibly because the motive and culprit was too obvious. However the characters carried the story well and it nice to see the two main female characters grow and develop. But I wonder if there is a story in why her boss (after headhunting her) now seems to have her in her sights?
It was going to e the wedding of the year. A vampire and a human! But only if the MOG could keep her nasty, biting comments in check.
Vivian
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I totally love this new series from Danielle Garrett and agree that Anastasia deserved her own series (she is a character from the author's Beechwood Harbor series)! Fun and fresh cover art entices you to open the book - and once inside you find a great cast of characters from Anastasia's sister, to her potential love interest, to her office nemesis, to the odious mother-of-the-groom - I liked them all! The wedding details enhanced the story without overwhelming it. The author has a great imagin ...more
Tara Lynn
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic-cozies
I love the premise of this fun cute cozy mystery. A witch wedding planner fulfills my fun, light read needs. While most all cozies share the usual elements (amateur sleuth, clueless cop, over the top unlikable antagonist... ect.), this one avoided the annoying quality that often accompanies these repetitive tropes. This is the first time I have found the cop character likeable! I didn't hate the Mother in Law! I loved the reference to another series featuring potion witch Holly Boldt (I hope to ...more
Lynda
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast and fun

I'm so glad Anastasia has her own series . I'm really e enjoying this addition to the Beechwood Harbor series. This as well as The Ghost Whispered series have overlapping characters. Getting to know the characters in different situations increases this charming overlapping series.
Maddi
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Believable characters, royal vampires, light romance, and tidy mystery - a little there for almost everyone. A fun, quick read. 3.5 stars.
Pam
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anastasia is wedding planner extraordinaire. She has her problems, though. Ana has a snap at her heels boss, a devious co-worker, a sweet but needy sister, and right now she’s got the wedding of all weddings to finish up to make her mark. That isn’t turning out so well. You see, the groom is a vampire from an exceptionally powerful family and the bride-to-be is a human. His mother wants her son to turn the girl (into one of them) or forget about the wedding. Then the mother of the groom is gone ...more
Harmony
Dec 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Evidently this book is a spin-off from the Beechwood Harbor Magic series by the same author....

And we are expected to know what's going on by having read those books first? If so, then that should have been explained in the description somewhere.

I say this because nowhere does the author describe what Ana looks like. I can't stand when authors do that. How are we supposed to visualize what is happening if we don't know anything about them? What color is her hair? Style? Length? Eye color? What i
Kim
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wedding planner, who happens to be a witch…. Danielle, have you been peering into my dreams, and viewing my ideal profession?

Very good beginning to a new series, and I am interested to see how the characters continue to develop. I thought the best interactions were between Anastasia and her office nemesis, Kait. And I see a lot of potential with Anastasia’s sister, so hopefully in future books, their relationship grows, maybe even into a fun sister sidekick.

The murder mystery itself was prett
Dianadee
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh I am so glad Danielle Garrett found a way to expand on these characters. I love them n the stories the reading is so easy n I try not to read too fast cuz I'm mad when I finish unless there is another waiting for me . Ms Garrett you really can not write fast enough for me I'm a big fan of your work n I am always taken out of my world and I love spending time in the Haven with the new series Touch of Magic n the Beechwood Harbor Series-my favorite - or the beginning n why I am so hooked n also ...more
Sherrel
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newly Wed and Slightly Dead

I always enjoy books by Daniel Garrett and this one did not disappoint!
Anastasia Winter is a wedding planner for magical weddings. She has a bully of a boss with maybe IBS from the way she talks to Anastasia. Anastasia has a coworker gunning to take her job, a sister who showed up homeless and the groom's mother is murdered shortly after she gives a poisoned toast to her son and his fiancee.
The adventure is on at that point! Who killed Lucinda, the evil mother-in-lawz
Ashley
Bumping it up from 2.5

I think this was a good start. I wish that some of the characters were a little more fleshed out. The mystery started off fine, but seemed to get solved pretty quickly, with little investigation on the narrators part. I don't know what to call the narrator, because it seemed that she didn't have one name. She was Anastasia, Ana, Stacy, Stace. It was hard for me to remember who people were talking to.

I'll give the next book a chance. But mostly because to do love listening
Rhonda Jones
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful New Spin-off Series

I was intrigued by Ana's character from the prior series with Holly Bundt. Ana is a wedding planner and Holly's best friend. Now Ana gets her own series, and this was a great start. Ana did not do much sleuthing, but she provided great clues, and was in the thick of the action when the groom's mother was offed. I am looking forward to seeing how this series evolves.
Terrie Stamey
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Newly Wed and Slightly Dead!

This story about a witch that planned weddings and a family of wealthy vampires was not only a great read, but a bit of mystery as well! Throw in a sister that landed on your door step and sleeps on your couch, leaving a mess all over the apartment and it's a fun read. A little bit th of murder thrown in, along with some romance spices things up quite a bit. A fun read!
Betty Lambert
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great short story. Anastasia Winters is a wedding planner. She is planning the wedding between a human and a Vampire. The mother in law is not happy. She tries to sabatauge the wedding any way she can. Unfortunately, the mother in law ends up dead and the bride is charged with her murder. She is on the run and she runs right to Anastasia. There are some really funny spots in this and some serious matters too. Highly recommend if in the mood for some light hearted fun.
Missy
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written. Funny, suspenseful, and a HEA.

This is such a wonderful story. You get love, suspense, mystery and a HEA on several levels all rolled into one. Ana/Stacie and Harmony, Ana and Caleb, Dimitri and Alice are all wonderful characters. Each has such a unique personality and yet you find each is loveable and compatible, they make a great team. Totally and honestly recommend !
Shanel Leonard
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the first book in the A Touch of Magic Mystery. It follows Anastasia, a supernatural wedding planner. She is in the middle of planning the biggest wedding of the year when someone stakes the Mother of the Groom. This human-vampire wedding quickly turns from contentious to deadly with the Bride as the main suspect.
This was a fun and quick read. I enjoyed the characters and the story. It was over too quick. If you like quick and pleasurable reads, this is for you!
Lori Zeller
Nov 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book got my mind off this tense election results and made me laugh. The character Anastasia a party planning faire was a hoot loved her. The Vanguard Family is equally colorful.. The Vanguard Wedding went off the rails when the mother of the groom turns up dead . Its a race to figure out who did the killing. It is not a heavy book at all and I needed that for a change . I will definitely start reading more of this series and her other books as well
« previous 1 3 next »

• Witch You Wouldn't Believe (A Lemon Tea Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Honeymoon Bite (Golden Vampires of Tuscany, #1)
  • Fury Godmother (Federal Bureau of Magic #2)
  • Every Picture Tells a Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic #8)
  • Sleigh Spells (Winter Witches of Holiday Haven, #1)
  • Then There Were Nun (Nun of Your Business Mysteries, #1)
  • Trolling for Trouble (Lynlee Lincoln, #1)
  • Howling for Revenge (Cori Sloane Witchy Werewolf, #1)
  • Magic & Mythos (Starry Hollow Witches #8)
  • A Sinister Spell in Faerywood Falls (Mountain Magic Mysteries #1)
  • Bewitching Blend (Paramour Bay #2)
  • Grace Under Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic #4)
  • Raging Seas (A Rowan Gray Mystery, #9)
  • On a Witch and a Spell (Blackwood Bay Witches, #0.5)
  • No Guts, No Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic #3)
  • Poetry in Potion (Spellbound Ever After #5)
  • Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • Great Balls of Fury (Federal Bureau of Magic #1)

A Touch of Magic Mysteries (3 books)
  • Couture and Curses (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #2)
  • Wedding Bells and Deadly Spells (A Touch of Magic Mysteries #3)

News & Interviews