Start by marking “Insular” as Want to Read:

Insular

‘Remember now, the others and I were working people, working to get by, month to month. They keep their heads down and push through, and when they can, they dream.
Their dreams are an escape. That wasn't possible with Julian stalking the aisles, his ever-grey pallor, his wasted figure serving as a reality check. That's what was scary.
When there were no dreams anymore.’

Ju
Published January 26th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Insular, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insular

Maureen
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not the biggest fan of the horror genre, but it’s good to read something a little different now and again, and Jamie Stewart’s ‘Insular’ filled that slot nicely, and in addition, it was also a great example of how much enjoyment can be had from such a short story.

Peter Smith is a supervisor in the home delivery department of a supermarket. Julian Kensi is just another new employee to Peter, just someone else to train up as a picker, but there’s something really odd about him - he gets on wit
Sandra
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining story that takes place mostly in a retail/grocery store. Supervisor Peter Earl Smith is training new employees. But there is a new guy named Julian Kensi that seems stranger than the rest. He ends up becoming the best in his job, but he is not all he seems to be.

This was an eerie, quick, and easy read. Julian sure was creepy. I was curious to see what was going to happen. A haunting story I read in one sitting.
Helga
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
4.5

This is a short story told by Peter who works for a home delivery department of a retail company. The subject of this bizarre story is the reclusive and strange Julian, one of the new employees of the department. Being overlooked and ignored, soon his existence is forgotten by the other employees.
Through Peter’s eyes and his story we learn about Julian’s gradual transformation and find ourselves questioning our own choices in life and whether we have made the right ones.

Insular is a haunting
Melki
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-fiction
This disturbing tale offers concrete proof that a good writer can conjure creepiness anywhere . . . even in the aisles of your local supermarket.
marilyn
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a hard time understanding many horror stories and I just need to get over wanting to understand and go with the story. Insular takes place in a big box store that has clerks stocking baskets with goods for home delivery. Speed and accuracy are the key and how each worker is judged. In this story the supervisor, Peter Smith, pushes the new employees Julian, as Peter trounces on his underlings feelings, on his climb to the top. What transpires is sad, confusing, and scary and now I can't dr ...more
Adrian
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now I am not a great horror fan, especially the more gory aspects, psychological, well that is a different matter.
This book (short story) happily falls into the latter category as well as being cleverly written. I also like the fact that there is almost a supernatural feel to part of the story.

It centres on a bunch of warehouse pickers who are joined by a new member of staff that appears to be a world class picker. It also looks at the way that people cope with the boring repetitive job, how peo
Sheri
This is a short story and a very quick read. I had read a friend's review earlier this afternoon and was so intrigued, I purchased it on my Kindle and read it immediately. I wasn't disappointed.
Jamie Stewart is a new author for me and I predict that Jamie will be writing many more books and will be very successful.
The first thing that I noticed in reading this story is that Jamie used words and descriptions in his sentences that were unique and made me laugh out loud.
Without commenting on plot
Sara
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is currently free on kindle!

This was a really cool concept, its difficult rating short stories because you can't help but feel as though there is never enough story!
I did enjoy this, i just wish there was more :)
Ron
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Julian Kensi. A young man one could pass on the street without even noticing. Keeps to himself. Quiet. Unremarkable. That's the right word. But there's one person who remembers his story, and chooses to write it down so many years later. Maybe he writes this so that another will take the time to see – to notice someone in life like Julian. Julian worked for Peter. Just a “picker” among many others in the large warehouse. Groceries and such go out in this world of online shopping. You never see t ...more
Peter
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This story reminded me on a modern version of Bartleby the Scrivener. Peter, the main character, works as a picker for a retailer and tells the story of a mysterious newbie named Julian Kensi. Why is that fellow worker able to work that fast? What about his private life and his aims in life? Wonderful prose with some rhetoric questions to the reader and some eerie moments about Julian. Is he a kind of ghost in the machine? Many of us had job experiences like those described in this splendid stor ...more
Ashley Daviau
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to start this review by stating that I received a free copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review. This in no way changes or affects my review.

This short story proves that you don’t need length to have great and unique content! It might be a short story but it sure packed one hell of a punch. I was completely intrigued from the start, I couldn’t wait to see where the author would bring us. This creepy and quite unsettling tale was an absolute pleasure to read and
Carol
3.5 Stars

Hmmmmm.......well, I've always known working in retail could make you feel like you're losing your mind; always competing to be the best, but Julian....he is one weird dude!

INSULAR takes the reader on a bizarre trip into the mind of an unsettling, strange character as he begins a new stressful job....but who is Julian really?

Short read with substance and a spirited edge.

Look forward to what Jamie Stewart dreams up next!

Maria Tzoutzopoulou
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Insular by Jamie Stewartkept me navigating through imagination and reality in every page of it. It made me feel the obsession, the regret, and the trauma a person's non-existence can evoke. And as Jamie Stewart writes: "It's the what-ifs that keep a man up at night, let me tell you."
Topher
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to ask you, what if you had an amazing name like Earl? What if you liked and took pride in your job? What if you worked with a new guy who gave you the creeps?

Unfortunately and unlucky for you, your mother didn't give you the blessing of calling you Earl, and you probably hate your job like the majority of the population. Although you probably do work with a creep, chances are his name isn't Julian.

On the other hand, today is your lucky day! Jamie Stewart has given you a tale with all of
Deb
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5. This short horror story was a quick fun read. It held my interest from the very beginning. I would recommend this to everyone. I certainly look forward to reading more from this author!
Beth
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Insular is about a man, Julian, new at his retail job, who is quiet and keeps to himself while working diligently. Julian's work is almost done at supernatural (?) speeds.

Fascinating read! I loved how Insular kept me interested in Julian throughout the story. It really left me wanting more. Great story quick read recommend for everyone.

Renee (The B-Roll)
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was asked by the author of this short story if I would like to receive a copy of it in exchange for an honest review.  Of course, I obliged because I have a hard time saying no to authors and this story sounded like something that would be right up my alley.  I love horror fiction (and non-fiction too if I'm going to be honest) and figured that I would end up loving this story since it has 'horror' in the subtitle.  Gosh, was I correct.

Sometimes it is nice to just read a short piece and experi
Rochelle
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a short but good story. It kept you engaged and wanting more. I usually don't read books of this genre but it was a pleasant surprise. I really did enjoy it. Makes you really think if something like this was true and what would do and how would you feel after this type of experience. Do you really know the people you work with? You don't really know people. I'm glad that I was able to experience it.
Annerlee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, a2z2019
Think 'large warehouse', 'a workforce of misfits' and an 'upwardly mobile supervisor'. The picking work is stressful because target-driven, but the mind is in neutral, set free to dream. Enter Julian - an unassuming man who achieves the ultimate in warehouse efficiency and frees his mind to enter... 'The Twilight Zone'...
This short story drew me in from the beginning. The underlying concept felt clever, original and ultimately believable in true Stephen King / Twilight Zone fashion. The cavernou
Camden Johnson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually surprised by this book as I got it for free on amazon and expected it to be meh. This book surprised me as it was actually well written and creative in it's story. I love the cover of the book. This book had me hooked from the very first page. The only problem I have with this book is that it's too short ;;
Heather (glitterandlashes)
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this story. I liked how it developed, I liked the characters, I liked how descriptive it was. A big thing for me when I’m reading is the descriptions. I like to be able to picture things as if I was watching a movie and not have to go back and forth rereading paragraphs to get a feel for what’s going on and this book was not lacking there. I liked it so much that I read the author’s other story right ...more
William Bitner Jr.
Shelves: horror, short-story
By Jamie Stewart

Genre - Fiction
Category - Horror/Short Story
Pages - 33
Publication Date - January 26, 2019
Format - Digital
Reviewed by William C. Bitner (https://booksinmylibraryblog.wordpres...)
Rating - 📙📙📙📙📙

If you are looking for a quick, bizarre and a little bit out there kind of short story you will not be disappointed with Insular by Jamie Stewart. A quite unique and witty character driven short story, this will have you shaking you head and left wondering what the hell did I just read
Rafael
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a Entertaining short Story, i love short stories, they are my thrive, once in a while i have to read a new one from someone new, this time was insular, a yung 22 year old works on a super market as a supervisor when he meets Julian Kensi quiet strange boy with a peculiar look, after meeting him his live will never be the same and the story of his experience with Julian with leave a scar in his life to tell, entertaining, not amazing but ok, a little bit of horror, although listed as hor ...more
Claudia
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good short story, one which, from the very beginning fills you with a sense of... not dread, exactly, but disquietude. Something is going on with Julian, you know that, you know it from the first pages as Peter begins his narration.

And yet, when it happens, you still will be surprised. And the ending... oh, the ending leaves us with more questions than real answers.

An excellent, very atmospheric short story. If you love horror, you'll love this one.
Jillian Johnson
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing short story! I read it this evening and didn't stop until I finished. It was so good. Excellent descriptions, well written, and great flow. My only problem was it was so good I didn't want it to end. First time I read this author and would highly recommend.
Jade  - theelderbooks
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author sent me a copy in exchange for an honest review

The problem with this short story was that it was too short ! I wanted to read more about Julian and Peter !

Even though it's only 35 pages I didn't see the end coming and I loved it completely. Actually this gave me some kind of Stranger Things vibe, which I found awesome, considering I love creepy mysterious stuff ! It is also a good way to see life and depression through the eyes of someone else and I thought that was beautiful.
Luke
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Not really sure what to make of this. A short read that takes place in a supermarket over the course of a few months but being re-told by the narrator / protagonist some 40 or so years later. Apparently this falls under the horror genre but I'm not sure if that's really a true match for what unfolded in this tale.. I enjoyed following the story as it unfolded and to discover the true oddities of Julian but I would hesitate to recommend this book.

Without giving too much away I'll list my grievanc
Jessica
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I very rarely read short stories but this was free on the kindle store so thought I’d give it a go. I also find it hard to review short stories but this was interesting - I read it in one sitting and I wish there was more to it.
Cathy
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks Jamie for inviting me to read this short story Insular and leaving a review! For me I thought this was a good little creepy story that left me wanting more! I want to know more about Julian and what is going on in his alternate streets and world is he alone there creeping around or are there others.... looking forward to reading more from this author in the future.
Ali
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very interesting short story. I used to read a lot of Dean Koontz when I was in high school, and this story reminded me of, 'Strange Highways.' My sub-conscious seems to remember more than my conscious mind does, because it was the sub that recalled Koontz's short stories while I was reading 'Insular' ... indeed, the brain has many a 'strange highways' that takes many twists and turns, much like this short story does!
Goodreads' Author...: 'Insular' 3 4 May 23, 2019 05:08AM
Readers & Writers: LOOKING FOR READERS 2 39 Apr 07, 2019 01:14PM
Goodreads Reviewe...: FREE SHORT STORY FOR REVIEWS 1 5 Feb 16, 2019 04:26AM
Goodreads Reviewe...: FREE SHORT STORY FOR REVIEWS 1 4 Feb 16, 2019 04:26AM
Goodreads Reviewe...: FREE SHORT STORY FOR REVIEWS 1 1 Feb 16, 2019 04:26AM
Goodreads Reviewe...: FREE SHORT STORY FOR REVIEWS 1 6 Feb 16, 2019 04:26AM
Shamelessly Promo...: LOOKING FOR READERS 1 12 Feb 10, 2019 04:27AM
Jamie Stewart is the author of Amazon Best Seller's Insular and Trick or Treat. Jamie Stewart started writing stories at the age of nine inspired by R.L Stein's Goosebumps series and old horror movies that he was far too young to watch in hindsight. His novel Mr. Jones is set for re-release late summer 2019.

His favourite authors include Stephen King, Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Joe Hill, J.K Rowling, Shirl