Start by marking “Dragonfly” as Want to Read:
Dragonfly

Dragonfly

At the height of WWII, five idealistic young Americans receive a mysterious letter from the OSS, asking them if they are willing to fight for their country. The men and women from very different backgrounds--a Texan athlete with German roots, an upper-crust son of a French mother and a wealthy businessman, a dirt-poor Midwestern fly fisherman, an orphaned fashion designer, ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 688 pages
Published July 9th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dragonfly, please sign up.
Lyta There is an implied rape, but it is glaced over as of no actual importance.
Lyta This book obviously had 0 editing - one character celebrates 22nd birthday in May '42, but is 25 in August '44. Bridgette's grandma lives on Elmwood s…moreThis book obviously had 0 editing - one character celebrates 22nd birthday in May '42, but is 25 in August '44. Bridgette's grandma lives on Elmwood street in the beginning, but Elm street in the end. Etc..(less)

Start your review of Dragonfly
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read a few books by Leila Meacham. They are always sweeping with superb storytelling, and Dragonlfy is definitely my new favorite. Five men and women are contacted by the OSS during WWII to serve for their country. The five couldn’t be more different from each other. Their group has the code name Dragonfly. They are trained and then dropped behind enemy lines to carry out their missions. It’s a suspenseful, well-drawn, compelling story from start to finish. Will all five make it, and will t ...more
Elyse  Walters
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Library overdrive Audiobook....read by: Christine Lakin, Jefferson Mays,
Karissa Vacker, Maxwell Hamilton, Will Collyer, Zack Villa, Nicholas Guy Smith, Neil Dickson, Matthew Waterson, Moira Quirk, and Jim Mesklmen......
alternating with the ebook.

All I knew before I started “Dragonfly”:
was something I read on Facebook:
“IT’S A MUCH BETTER BOOK THAN *The Nightingale*...
Given that almost no one says anything even slightly negative about Kristin Hannah’s WWII novel ..... MY EARS PERKED UP!
I wasn’t
Cindy Burnett
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leila Meacham’s incredible World War 2 saga chronicles a fictional team of young Americans recruited as OSS agents to infiltrate German-occupied Paris. The team is code-named Dragonfly, and upon arrival in Paris, the group disperses and sets about to fulfill their individual missions while also pursing their own individual agendas. The genius of Dragonfly is Meacham’s ability to vividly portray German-occupied Paris and the treachery that constantly existed for those working to remove Hitler and ...more
Ingrid
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I have goose bumps and a lump in my throat. Written lifelike, but without emphasis on all the atrocities that the Germans have carried out, so that the book remained legible. Exciting and interesting the whole way through.
Zoe
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant, absorbing, and incredibly affecting!

Dragonfly is an immersive, suspenseful tale set in Nazi-Occupied Paris during WWII that follows five young American spies as they use their own unique skillsets to infiltrate, befriend, and acquire special intelligence from the enemy to aid Resistance and Allied Forces.

The prose is eloquent and polished. The characters are driven, courageous, and resilient. And the plot, including all the subplots, intertwine and unravel into a sweeping saga of life,
Julia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars. I loved Leila Meacham's historical fiction books set in Texas but I just couldn't get into her latest, DRAGONFLY (I seem to be in the minority, though). Meacham's latest is set in WWII Nazi-occupied Paris and centers on an OSS spy team codenamed Dragonfly. Made of five members, Dragonfly provides valuable intel for the Allies.

My first issue with this book was the sheer number of characters, names, and constantly bouncing around, not just in chapters but even within a same c
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I loved this book. Historical fiction is not the type of book I am usually drawn to, but I really enjoyed Roses, so I thought I'd give Dragonfly a try. I'm so glad I did.

Great characters, great story, loved the ending. I was worried that all the different POV's would get confusing, but the author did a really good job reminding you of who each character was within the first sentence or two of each chapter.

Really, really enjoyed this book!
Anna
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The German's have overtaken Paris, transforming it into a Nazi stronghold. Here in the US, five young Americans have been carefully vetted and selected for a secret mission in France. If they choose to go, they will be risking their lives to provide important to intelligence to the war effort. For each of them they have their own reasons for accepting the assignment.
So begins a harrowing and dangerous journey for each of the young patriots as they gather critical information from their targets,
Robin Loves Reading
World War II is in full throttle and five young Americans are chosen to work with the OSS. They will be fighting for their country and serving in France. Not only do they not know one another at the outset, their families cannot not know that they will soon become spies. They are code-named Dragonfly, and are each given false identities.

They take on their assignments, albeit separately. However, they have an agreed upon rendezvous location when information must be shared. They are always aware o
Kerrin Parris
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dragonfly by Leila Meacham is a World War II espionage story about five young Americans who are sent on missions in occupied Paris for the Office of Strategic Services. They are recruited by Alistair Renault, an OSS case officer, chief of station for French Affairs. The three men and two women are all fluent speakers of French and/or German and each has special skills necessary for a specific assignment.

The recruits train together even though they will be on their own in Paris. They become insta
Taylor
Thank you so much to Grand Central Publishing, LSBBT, and the author for providing me with a final copy in exchange for an honest review.

From the moment I saw that stunning cover art, I knew I was a goner. I felt the lure of the Parisian setting, the ominous skyline, and that woman I somehow knew had an enthralling yet clandestine story to share. And before I was even aware, I had fallen directly into DRAGONFLY's trap; unable to escape its grasp until I turned the final page.

"They're almost im
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars on this one. It bothered me slightly that the story was so far fetched and was pretty historically inaccurate. However Meacham tells a good story.

The novel follows 5 young adults (3 men and 2 women) who join the Office of Strategic Service (OSS). They train to become spies and then are planted in Paris during WWII. Each makes the decision to join based on various personal reasons. One young woman, Victoria joins in hopes of locating her fallen RAF pilo
Toni
Jan 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book was so poorly done that I struggled to write a review to encapsulate HOW MUCH was wrong with it. I’ll just pick a few - of the many - big takeaways of why this book is exceptionally awful and completely senseless. First, it’s story about WWII. Or rather WWII-lite. A WWII where there’s no hunger, no death, no Jews, no destruction. A WWII where all the Nazi SS Top Brass are super nice guys trying to secretly help the Allies. A story about 5 young fabulous looking (of course!) spies who a ...more
Morgan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WWII– 5 young Americans selected by the OSS for their special attributes are sent into Occupied France.
One of the most intricately plotted spy thrillers you are going to read.
101 Chapters / 559 Pages made into an easy read due to the deft, clever writing of the author.
Apart from each character’s given name there are French names; German names; code names; nick-names. Confusing? No. There is a character list at the beginning of the book but the writing is good enough that you likely won’t need t
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I will probably not do this review justice but I'll tell you right off the bat I LOVED this book and could not put it down.  The intrigue, the danger, the interwoven storylines....all of this make Dragonfly one of the best books I have read all year.

"One loose thread can unravel the whole ball of twine."

Truer words were never spoken when it comes to this book.  This book follows five spies for the OSS (Office of Strategic Services, a real government agency during WWII in case you didn't know) an
Kathy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first reading of this author's work. It was a new library book available, I'm usually interested in World War II fiction, so I checked it out.
Summary Notes: This is a long book (561 pp) peopled with many and varied characters tracked over a good chunk of time. This is also a story woven in such a way to yield emotional responses rather than depicting horrors of war. Instead, we get Nazis who were humans and sometimes plotting against Hitler or trying to extricate themselves from his m
Dawn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid 3.5 stars. It was a great story. There were a lot of moving pieces that were a bit hard to keep track of, although the author did provide a who's who in the front of the book. I was a bit disappointed that the author didn't include a section of where she got her inspiration or research.
Renee
What a fabulous tale! In scope & feel like a grand Rosamunde Pilcher story. Drama, espionage, patriotism, poignancy, a bit of romance. This book has it all! Loved it! ...more
Natasha
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was just way to over the top for me.

Five American agents are trained and sent to France at the same time? All sharing the same radio operator? The OSS did work not work that way. They barely let one agent into France at a time let alone five in a week,all in Paris.

The Germans and Nazi's and some of the French the agents get to know are all wondering about them but let go about life in Paris as they watch? Uh no the Nazi's would be arresting you before the cafe's opened.

This book was just to
Rhonda Ruff
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to read this book! All 500 plus pages of ir! I enjoyed every page every story! This is a book to savor! My first book ever by Leila meachem and it won’t be my last. I was draw in by the beautiful cover and fell in love with the great story! I will remember the characters in this story for a long time!
Sharlene
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good. Very moving account of 5 young Americans assigned to Nazi Paris as spies. I could not put this book down and will be added to my favorite's list of war historical fiction. I have loved this author's previous books and this one did not disappoint.
Ron
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. I couldn't keep the 3 guys straight with them having 3 names. No problem with the girls though.
Sydney Young
Once I received the audio for DRAGONFLY and started listening, I forgot everything I was doing. All I knew was the DRAGONFLY world. I was hooked until the end. After I finished, I had a serious book hangover.

I love big epic books. Especially when they involve life and death stories about both men and women in dire situations. Leila Meacham specializes in such epics, but let me be clear: this is the best book Leila Meacham has ever written. And the DRAGONFLY audio is five star.

DRAGONFLY is what
Marisa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This novel has given me a wonderful book hangover!!! 864 pages...multiple POV, a mural that works as its on character and beautiful prose.

Leilia Meacham is one of the best story tellers out there. I have loved every book she has written. Her novels are books i read slowly because i dont want to miss a single word.

I.loved this novel so.much and it will stay one of my favorites for years to come!
Mechele Clough
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! The character development was superb and in-depth, but not overwhelming. I was captivated throughout the book. I was right there with the characters while they completed their missions. I even began to care for unlikely characters. She painted a very accurate picture of german occupied France and the ugliness of war without being gruesome. I experienced so many emotions throughout this book. This is a new favorite of mine.
Caryl
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dragonfly is a compelling story of a covert team in occupied France. I was immediately immersed into the story. The danger and intrigue kept me turning the pages. I highly recommend this book.

I borrowed a copy from my local library. All views expressed are my honest opinion.
Mary
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of 5 Americans who were in Paris as spies during WW2. It is a really good book but it is long. There is a helpful guide in the front of the book giving you the names of the characters along with their field names. The first part of the book gives you the backgrounds and motivations for each character. The bulk of the story is set in France and at times there is so much detail that the story gets bogged down. I’m glad I read it.
Ruthie Jones
"No one completes their missions with clean consciences.
Dirty dealing is part of the job."

Dragonfly by Leila Meacham is a literary gem that must not be missed. The writing, the storytelling, the characters, and the plot are all deeply exquisite and will remain with you for a long time.

The five young Americans operating under the code name Dragonfly have willingly chosen to live and work in occupied Paris as spies to help thwart the dastardly efforts of Hitler and his evil regime. These five agen
Meagan
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly concocted, Leila Meacham’s newest novel, Dragonfly, is like no other WWII novel you will read. Written with creativity and deeply developed characters that instantly hook the reader, Dragonfly presents an entirely different perspective on espionage during the Era of Evil.

An extraordinarily gifted Meacham takes the reader on a tale of six Americans operating as spies in occupied France’s when their mishaps, obvious flaws and seemingly selfish ambition all collide to create a fascinat
Alexis (hookedtobooks)
Thank you @grandcentralpub for sending me a copy of this book! It was such a fun read!
This book centres around 5 Americans who go to Paris during the Second World War as spies in order to help bring victory to the Allies! Each of these five people have their own reasons for wanting to go to Paris during war time, and each member of Dragonfly, their groups code name, makes enormous contributions to the war effort through the connections they make while under cover!
I really appreciated the time
Pick-a-Shelf: Dragonfly by Leila Meachan 29 9 Jul 23, 2020 12:10PM

• Daughter of the Reich
  • The Words I Never Wrote
  • The German Heiress
  • The Widow of Pale Harbor
Leila Meacham is a writer and former teacher who lives in San Antonio, Texas.