Start by marking “Dragonfly” as Want to Read:
Dragonfly

Dragonfly

At the height of WWII, five idealistic young Americans receive a mysterious letter from the OSS, asking them if they are willing to fight for their country. The men and women from very different backgrounds--a Texan athlete with German roots, an upper-crust son of a French mother and a wealthy businessman, a dirt-poor Midwestern fly fisherman, an orphaned fashion designer, ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 688 pages
Published July 9th 2019 by Grand Central Publishing

Start your review of Dragonfly
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read a few books by Leila Meacham. They are always sweeping with superb storytelling, and Dragonlfy is definitely my new favorite. Five men and women are contacted by the OSS during WWII to serve for their country. The five couldn’t be more different from each other. Their group has the code name Dragonfly. They are trained and then dropped behind enemy lines to carry out their missions. It’s a suspenseful, well-drawn, compelling story from start to finish. Will all five make it, and will ...more
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Library overdrive Audiobook....read by: Christine Lakin, Jefferson Mays,
Karissa Vacker, Maxwell Hamilton, Will Collyer, Zack Villa, Nicholas Guy Smith, Neil Dickson, Matthew Waterson, Moira Quirk, and Jim Mesklmen......
alternating with the ebook.

All I knew before I started “Dragonfly”:
was something I read on Facebook:
“IT’S A MUCH BETTER BOOK THAN *The Nightingale*...
Given that almost no one says anything even slightly negative about Kristin Hannah’s WWII novel ..... MY EARS PERKED UP!
I wasn’t
Cindy Burnett
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leila Meacham’s incredible World War 2 saga chronicles a fictional team of young Americans recruited as OSS agents to infiltrate German-occupied Paris. The team is code-named Dragonfly, and upon arrival in Paris, the group disperses and sets about to fulfill their individual missions while also pursing their own individual agendas. The genius of Dragonfly is Meacham’s ability to vividly portray German-occupied Paris and the treachery that constantly existed for those working to remove Hitler and ...more
Zoe
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poignant, absorbing, and incredibly affecting!

Dragonfly is an immersive, suspenseful tale set in Nazi-Occupied Paris during WWII that follows five young American spies as they use their own unique skillsets to infiltrate, befriend, and acquire special intelligence from the enemy to aid Resistance and Allied Forces.

The prose is eloquent and polished. The characters are driven, courageous, and resilient. And the plot, including all the subplots, intertwine and unravel into a sweeping saga of life,
Ingrid
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I have goose bumps and a lump in my throat. Written lifelike, but without emphasis on all the atrocities that the Germans have carried out, so that the book remained legible. Exciting and interesting the whole way through.
Anna
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The German's have overtaken Paris, transforming it into a Nazi stronghold. Here in the US, five young Americans have been carefully vetted and selected for a secret mission in France. If they choose to go, they will be risking their lives to provide important to intelligence to the war effort. For each of them they have their own reasons for accepting the assignment.
So begins a harrowing and dangerous journey for each of the young patriots as they gather critical information from their targets,
Robin Loves Reading
World War II is in full throttle and five young Americans are chosen to work with the OSS. They will be fighting for their country and serving in France. Not only do they not know one another at the outset, their families cannot not know that they will soon become spies. They are code-named Dragonfly, and are each given false identities.

They take on their assignments, albeit separately. However, they have an agreed upon rendezvous location when information must be shared. They are always aware
Taylor
Thank you so much to Grand Central Publishing, LSBBT, and the author for providing me with a final copy in exchange for an honest review.

From the moment I saw that stunning cover art, I knew I was a goner. I felt the lure of the Parisian setting, the ominous skyline, and that woman I somehow knew had an enthralling yet clandestine story to share. And before I was even aware, I had fallen directly into DRAGONFLY's trap; unable to escape its grasp until I turned the final page.

"They're almost
Kathy
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first reading of this author's work. It was a new library book available, I'm usually interested in World War II fiction, so I checked it out.
Summary Notes: This is a long book (561 pp) peopled with many and varied characters tracked over a good chunk of time. This is also a story woven in such a way to yield emotional responses rather than depicting horrors of war. Instead, we get Nazis who were humans and sometimes plotting against Hitler or trying to extricate themselves from his
Morgan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WWII– 5 young Americans selected by the OSS for their special attributes are sent into Occupied France.
One of the most intricately plotted spy thrillers you are going to read.
101 Chapters / 559 Pages made into an easy read due to the deft, clever writing of the author.
Apart from each character’s given name there are French names; German names; code names; nick-names. Confusing? No. There is a character list at the beginning of the book but the writing is good enough that you likely won’t need
Renee
What a fabulous tale! In scope & feel like a grand Rosamunde Pilcher story. Drama, espionage, patriotism, poignancy, a bit of romance. This book has it all! Loved it!
Sydney Young
Once I received the audio for DRAGONFLY and started listening, I forgot everything I was doing. All I knew was the DRAGONFLY world. I was hooked until the end. After I finished, I had a serious book hangover.

I love big epic books. Especially when they involve life and death stories about both men and women in dire situations. Leila Meacham specializes in such epics, but let me be clear: this is the best book Leila Meacham has ever written. And the DRAGONFLY audio is five star.

DRAGONFLY is what
Marisa
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This novel has given me a wonderful book hangover!!! 864 pages...multiple POV, a mural that works as its on character and beautiful prose.

Leilia Meacham is one of the best story tellers out there. I have loved every book she has written. Her novels are books i read slowly because i dont want to miss a single word.

I.loved this novel so.much and it will stay one of my favorites for years to come!
Sharlene
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good. Very moving account of 5 young Americans assigned to Nazi Paris as spies. I could not put this book down and will be added to my favorite's list of war historical fiction. I have loved this author's previous books and this one did not disappoint.
Caryl
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dragonfly is a compelling story of a covert team in occupied France. I was immediately immersed into the story. The danger and intrigue kept me turning the pages. I highly recommend this book.

I borrowed a copy from my local library. All views expressed are my honest opinion.
Dawn
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid 3.5 stars. It was a great story. There were a lot of moving pieces that were a bit hard to keep track of, although the author did provide a who's who in the front of the book. I was a bit disappointed that the author didn't include a section of where she got her inspiration or research.
Eileen
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-ii
Dragonfly is a delightful surprise! It is a clear standout among WWII novels! Initially, I was reluctant to tackle this one for several reasons, the first being the sheer length, at 562 pages. I realize that is a poor reason for a yellow light, but this is a favorite genre, and in my opinion, the market is currently flooded with mediocre wannabes. Secondly, when I had the book in hand, I discovered the cast of characters listed on the opening page – another put-off! However, I waded in and was ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I will probably not do this review justice but I'll tell you right off the bat I LOVED this book and could not put it down. The intrigue, the danger, the interwoven storylines....all of this make Dragonfly one of the best books I have read all year.

"One loose thread can unravel the whole ball of twine."

Truer words were never spoken when it comes to this book. This book follows five spies for the OSS (Office of Strategic Services, a real government agency during WWII in case you didn't know) and
Meagan
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly concocted, Leila Meacham’s newest novel, Dragonfly, is like no other WWII novel you will read. Written with creativity and deeply developed characters that instantly hook the reader, Dragonfly presents an entirely different perspective on espionage during the Era of Evil.

An extraordinarily gifted Meacham takes the reader on a tale of six Americans operating as spies in occupied France’s when their mishaps, obvious flaws and seemingly selfish ambition all collide to create a
Julia
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Two and a half stars. I loved Leila Meacham's historical fiction books set in Texas but I just couldn't get into her latest, DRAGONFLY (I seem to be in the minority, though). Meacham's latest is set in WWII Nazi-occupied Paris and centers on an OSS spy team codenamed Dragonfly. Made of five members, Dragonfly provides valuable intel for the Allies.

My first issue with this book was the sheer number of characters, names, and constantly bouncing around, not just in chapters but even within a same
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went back and forth between 3 and 4 stars on this one. It bothered me slightly that the story was so far fetched and was pretty historically inaccurate. However Meacham tells a good story.

The novel follows 5 young adults (3 men and 2 women) who join the Office of Strategic Service (OSS). They train to become spies and then are planted in Paris during WWII. Each makes the decision to join based on various personal reasons. One young woman, Victoria joins in hopes of locating her fallen RAF
Rhonda Ruff
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a while to read this book! All 500 plus pages of ir! I enjoyed every page every story! This is a book to savor! My first book ever by Leila meachem and it won’t be my last. I was draw in by the beautiful cover and fell in love with the great story! I will remember the characters in this story for a long time!
Ruthie Jones
"No one completes their missions with clean consciences.
Dirty dealing is part of the job."

Dragonfly by Leila Meacham is a literary gem that must not be missed. The writing, the storytelling, the characters, and the plot are all deeply exquisite and will remain with you for a long time.

The five young Americans operating under the code name Dragonfly have willingly chosen to live and work in occupied Paris as spies to help thwart the dastardly efforts of Hitler and his evil regime. These five
Ron
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. I couldn't keep the 3 guys straight with them having 3 names. No problem with the girls though.
Whitney Pierce
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I was able to read an advanced copy of Dragonfly thanks to a Goodreads Giveaway. This book was phenomenal!

The book follows five Americans who are specifically picked to assist the US government as spies during WWII, forming a team referred to as “dragonfly”. We are able to follow the lives of these five, giving us insight into why each member of the team decides to join a mission with such great risks. Leila Meacham did an exceptional job of building the characters and making you feel a personal
Teresa “Teri”
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW !!! If you love Historical Fiction especially set during WWII - GET THIS BOOK! It’s FANTASTIC!
(A more detailed book review to follow)
Sara Smith
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had to read all day once I started this book. It's a little long, but full of a story that drew me in until it ended. Great read.
Alexis (hookedtobooks)
Thank you @grandcentralpub for sending me a copy of this book! It was such a fun read!
This book centres around 5 Americans who go to Paris during the Second World War as spies in order to help bring victory to the Allies! Each of these five people have their own reasons for wanting to go to Paris during war time, and each member of Dragonfly, their groups code name, makes enormous contributions to the war effort through the connections they make while under cover!
I really appreciated the time
Kristine Hall
Audio Book Review: I’ll cut to the chase: DRAGONFLY is extraordinary. Robust characters with fascinating backstories are placed in richly detailed settings where quickly, the reader is transported, immersed, and living on the edge, right along with the characters. Leila Meacham has blown my mind with DRAGONFLY.

For those who read with their eyes, the book opens with a handy “Cast of Characters” section broken down into “The Americans,” “The Germans,” and “The French,” where characters’
Linda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to love this book because I've loved every other book Leila has published and could not wait for this one. It was just... okay compared to her other titles and didn't have the wow factor I'm used to. Perhaps it was just bad timing for it, or maybe I need to pick it up and try again at a later date, but it just did not live up to my expectations of her novels. A lot of characters mixed with a lot of history so maybe it's just not my kind of book?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• All the Flowers in Paris
  • The Winemaker's Wife
  • The Golden Hour
  • Resistance Women
  • The Last Train to London
  • The Flight Girls
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Mistress of the Ritz
  • The Giver of Stars
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • The French Photographer
Leila Meacham is a writer and former teacher who lives in San Antonio, Texas.