Start by marking “Mastermind (Titan Online, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mastermind (Titan Online, #1)

Mastermind

(Titan Online #1)

Karna was just like any other comic book fan. He dreamed of fighting alongside colorful heroes and taking down dastardly villains. In Titan Online, the most popular VR MMORPG going, he finally got the chance to live out his cape-donning fantasies.

That is, right up until he was killed by the game’s number one ‘hero’. A man who serves only himself in a constant grind for mon
Published August 29th 2019 by Portal Books

To ask other readers questions about Mastermind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastermind

Start your review of Mastermind (Titan Online, #1)
Michael
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to start by saying thank you to the author Michael Miller and Portal Books for supplying me with an early review copy of this book. (Apologies for not being able to make the release date).

I've read a few of these LitRPGs now and they obviously share a similar theme. This one is far less heavy on the stat-info that I found in Battlespire (Michael Miller) and that made it different enough to make me read through the early chapters.

The fact that this one was about superheroes and villains
Steven Kelliher
Jan 28, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Super secret non-Landkist project that isn't so super secret anymore.

Coming soon ...
Lana
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karna spent most of his time online and the game had become his life, but when his hero character Streak was killed off by Leviathan, a titan with a massive following, he vowed he would start from scratch to make sure he brings him down. However his next origin story sent him to the docks amongst the dredges of society, and as a villain, not a hero this time round. He was also a simple tier 5 with nothing to his name, and his name was Despot, a name he wanted to make sure would be on everyone’s ...more
Laura Hughes
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
THE BOYS meets READY PLAYER ONE. MASTERMIND is an awesomely innovative superhero-themed LitRPG that fans of the genre will love!
Kane Vardy-Mason
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Normally I find superhero gamelit/LitRPG to be a little... uninspired, but Mastermind was fantastic. From the interesting take on powers, to making you evaluate how the world is perceived, nothing was as I expected, and I have never been happier to be proven wrong!
J P
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read, well flushed out world, with enjoyable and relatable characters.

Love the good versus evil homage.
Abraham
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great story I hope to see more of this author!
Bobby
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the most pure LitRPG book I've read, because it's just about a guy playing a virtual reality game. There's some great parts and some parts that fell a little flat to me, but it was mostly a really good book.

On one hand, the world building for the real world was pretty light. We get a bit of description about how the world is different than ours in terms of entertainment as it relates to Virtual Reality games, but that's about it for the real world. On the other hand, the in gam
James Scott
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litrpg
I love superheroes/villains and I love LitRPG, so this sounds like a match made in heaven, right? For the most part it does a decent job serving both, though rarely at the same time.

Character and tension, two key factors in 'super' fiction, and two areas where 'in a videogame' LitRPG can struggle. The hook is initially weak; who cares if some gamer's character dies? It took the better part of the book for me to care about the protagonist's quest to kill the big bad (big good?). It's the cast aro
Alex Knight
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mechanics and ambitious plot!

Well written with interesting game mechanics, unique characters, and one heck of an ambitious plot. The audacity of this story is so fun you just want to strap in and watch it unfold. I particularly enjoyed how Titan Online itself worked. The game sounded fun at its core and only got better from there. It makes a great canvas on which for this wild ride to play out!
Mattias Ahlman
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is good but the ideas are horrible, main character just come off as some butt hurt kid to me i get you lost something you loved and spent lots of time on but you whine about it the whole damn book like he killed your children or something, and his power is totally useless at least in this first book what he did there he could have done with any other character he played might as well just been without powers there was like a build up he would get some powers that could counter or hel ...more
Megan
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really more 4.5. It was fun, immersive, and compelling.

Mastermind follows Karna, a player in a VR game that is also the main viewer entertainment if the world. The game, Titan Online, has villains, heroes, NPCs, and a pretty interesting AI system. Karna understands the game mechanics and AI logic fairly well and sees the flaws in what the game has become. The story focuses almost exclusively on Karna and the other characters in game personalities, but there is a understanding of Karna's motivat
Fate's Lady
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
This is a fairly fun story as long as you squint and try not to think through the logic of the setting too hard, but the longer I sit with it the less impressed I am. The game mechanics and descriptions of the world just don't make sense as an actual game, but the plot doesn't make sense of it isn't, so...

The hero is super mad about his first, best character being semi-intentional collateral damage in a big fight, then goes on to get nearly everyone (npc and player alike) who allies with him ki
Jackie
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant. Even though this is not my usual genre to read, I loved it. Helped me understand a bit of the online world.
laeaurra flamehawk-mitchell
Villain's Rule!

I thought this was very well done. Good editing, nice pacing. Nice complete story. After revenge, what to do? It's a great read.
JK
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I really enjoy these LitRPG books. There’s a lot they offer that other genres just can’t cater for, such as contrasting online/offline lives (geek-like at home, god-like in game), digital relationships, the impact of online events to the offline self, even the morals involved in killing other players; the opportunities are endless, and it’s completely glorious.

Kelliher’s construction here is worthwhile of his genre. Rather than an every man for himself melee of characters, he opts for a heroes v
Sylvain St-Pierre
I'm going to start by saying I loved how the mastermind class is being demonstrated in this book. I like the character interplay, on the whole, the core characters have interesting personalities, even those in their periphery.

the first issue is the same every litRPG book that takes place within an actual game suffered from. there is no sense of jeopardy because the MC is never really in any danger.

The second issue is that this is book 1 of a series, when it feels like it should be the culminatio
MIKE Watkins Jr.
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about a hero with an unconventional super power.

I mean typically when you think of "superpowers" you think of a hero who can fly, has super strength, can shoot rays out of their hands, or perhaps a hero that has telekinetic abilities.

You don't think of a guy who's superpower is to influence NPC's...but that's the type of hero you get in this book...and it makes for a more unique protagonist, at least as it pertains to his power.

A good read...it was kinda slow mid-way through but overall
Kevin
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great standalone book in what I hope is a great series

The author has done what you need to do to sell a villainous story. A jilted hero, a plan borne from both idealism and revenge, and adversity so bleak that your heart rises with him as he overcomes it. Unlike many other series, this book works alone, and makes you want to come back just to see how everyone is doing rather than come back to see how the story ends.
John Vann
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mastermind - this one is going to be the start of a great series. Heroes and villains can you be sure they are set in their ways? I loved this story binge reading it in a couple of days. The writing is good and I could see the places in my mind. The characters are developing which means I am waiting for the next episode.
Jon Koelzer
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Around half way through I wasn’t sure i would finish it. None of the characters were very likable, the main character included. Basically the whole story the dude is bumbling and making mistakes. Picks up near the end, made it much more enjoyable
D G
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Man, it was a blast. I want more. Really. Well written, complete story, that can have a sequel (there are still some questions unanswered left, but doesn't bait into getting another book by unfinished threads).
Loki Lokash
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than you think it'll be.

This is a step up from what I've come to expect from a LitRPG book, in that I just finished my first re-read.
Cannot recommend it enough if you enjoy the genre.
Anndra Dawn
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Villainous litrpg

This was a great ride into something very original. When I was a teen I fell in love with the Fall of Superman books, and this is more fun by far! Kudos to the author for doing something new in the LitRpg genre. Get this book!
Sean Desallais
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

Really enjoyed the story, characters were interesting and the plot was enjoyable. Was quite nice to see things from a villains perspective for once and for that it earns a favourable review.
Richard Rehder
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great start! I can't wait for more
Maraud3r
Sep 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gamelit
Why do so many of these reviews read like ads? Possibly because they are, lots of authors here who review this book positively, weird.

I'm going against the grain here. This book would've been better if it was not Litrpg. Because what it did as soon as you start to question it even a tiny bit, is fail as a game. Titan Online would be an atrociously bad game and absolutely unfun to play. It would be buggy, messy, borderline unplayable, etc. This might be a decent Super Hero story, it's not a decen
Matt
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**I'd actually give this book 4.5 stars, but since Goodreads won't allow it...**

I've never really played any MMORPGs before, but I'm well acquainted with the basics. I've also been a comic book fan going back more than 30 years, and have read many of the "superhero Lit" books that have popped up over the last decade.

I was fairly skeptical when I picked this book up, but it turned out to be a pretty darn interesting read. Sure, it's got the usual superhero (supervillain?) tropes on hand, which ma
Ralph Trickey
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last third was OK. I almost quit before that.
The overall plot ended up decent. The writing was fine.
I have issues with the game not sounding like it's fun. For a PvP game to have that level of different character powers isn't reasonable and allowing collateral damage without consequence seems game breaking. The first time I got killed because of a battle between alphas would be the last. People don't get a pass because they accidentally killed a bunch of others instead of doing it intentio
Clint Young
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alert

I hate trying to write reviews because there are really only pass/fail results for me. Did I make it all the way through? Yes? 5 stars. No? There would be nothing here to read. In all fairness, if an author holds my attention from page one to the end, they’ve done their job. Anything less than 5 stars is petty criticism from someone incapable of even doing the job let alone doing a better one.

So in respect for the author and their work, I am going to start pasting this along with a generic

• Lair For Rent: A Superhero Dungeon Core
  • God of Gnomes (God Core, #1)
  • Dungeons of Strata (Deepest Dungeon, #1)
  • Tree Guardian (Divine Seed, #2)
  • The Heroic Villain 2
  • Shade's First Rule (Divine Apostasy, #1)
  • Tree Dungeon (Divine Seed, #1)
  • CivCEO: A 4x Lit Series (The Accidental Champion Book 1)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 2 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #2)
  • Infernal Bones (Elemental Dungeon #2)
  • Farmer (Light Online #1)
  • Silver Fox & The Western Hero: Warrior Reborn: A LitRPG/Wuxia Novel - Book 1
  • GalaxSec (Skeleton in Space, #2)
  • CivCEO 2: A 4x Lit Series (The Accidental Champion)
  • The Crafter's Defense (Dungeon Crafting #2)
  • Scamps & Scoundrels (The Bad Guys, #1)
  • Dungeon Core Academy 1 (A Dungeon Core LitRPG series)
  • Dungeons of the Crooked Mountains (Underdog, #1)
Steven is a fighter-turned-writer who resides in the Boston area. A former sports and entertainment writer, he now focuses exclusively on his true passion: epic action fantasy and sci-fi. He wishes all disputes were still settled with a friendly game of hand-to-hand combat, is a fan of awesome things, and tries to write books he’d want to read.

He hopes you like them.