Start by marking “One Summer's Night” as Want to Read:
One Summer's Night

One Summer's Night

The path of true love never did run smooth…did it?

Kelsey Anderson is stuck in a rut so big, she’ll need a 4-wheel drive to get out. She’s just been made redundant from her dead-end job, and boyfriend Fran is so busy climbing up the career ladder that he’s forgotten how to have fun. She needs to change her life – and fast.

Stumbling across an advert for tour guides in
Published March 6th 2019 by Hera Books

To ask other readers questions about One Summer's Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Summer's Night

Start your review of One Summer's Night
Agi
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it

Kelsey Anderson finds herself in a rut. She's just lost her job in a camera shop that she truly loved, her long - term relationship with Francis seems to be going downhill and she really doesn't know what it is she wants to do with her life. She loves taking pictures, she loves Shakespeare and her fondest memory is this of her last holiday as a family in Stratford - Upon - Avon when her dad was still alive. So when she notices an offer to work as a tour guide in Shakespeare's birthplace what has
Lucy Mitchell
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable!

Nearly took my kindle out in church this morning, this is how attached I have become to Kelsey and her life. Loved this story from the start. It’s romantic, witty and sweet! I currently have a thing for characters who follow their dreams and passions, not knowing where they will end up. When I read there is a sequel I breathed a sigh of relief - this means more Kelsey.
Ayushi
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FOLLOW ME ON MY BOOKSTAGRAM!

I absolutely adored this rom-com. Everything about the story screams - 'Awww!". I loved the plot, I loved all the characters, I loved the scenes, I loved the cover, basically everything. And the best part is that it wasn't repetitive at all.

Of course there's a HEA but that's obvious for a romance. What I really liked is at the end there is a letter from the author in which she tells us how her real life events inspired her to write this book. This novel
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved the premise of the story. A Shakespeare-loving girl from Scotland takes a chance and leaves everything to go to England and work in Stratford Upon Avon as a tour guide. There are tons of Shakespeare references throughout the book and a lovely English setting. However, the story line once she is in England takes a very predictable turn and quite honestly, not a whole lot happens. For what seemed to become an adventure of a lifetime, the story is rather dull. The romantic part of the story ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this debut book from Kiley Dunbar and am delighted to learn that this isn't the last we have seen from Kelsey.

I loved seeing Kelsey come out of her shell and into a fabulous character after breaking away from a boyfriend and taking on a job in Stratford upon Avon that suits her down to a tee.

Was a lot of fun discovering what life ad a tour guide is like.

There are even a couple of hunky men in the running, although I was never completely sure who she would end up with.

What is clear is
Karen Whittard
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the type of story that everyone needs to own. It’s one of those stories. That if you can’t decide what you want to read, or if you have a book hang over from a previous book, or life is too busy for something hard and heavy, or if you just want something that you do not need to concentrate too hard on. This this is the perfect book for you.

Pick it up and enjoy this lighthearted, wonderful romance story. Lovely.
Frenchorchidea
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was the first time I was reading a book from Kiley Dunbar and I have not been disappointed! This story takes place in the birthplace of Shakespeare.The main protagonist who has just lost her job and who is living a hard time in her relationship with her boyfriend, arrives there to work as a tourist tour guide for the summer. This is the perfect job for her as she has always been in love with Shakespeare work. But her true passion is photography and her dream would be living from her passion ...more
Janice
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s the start of the blog tour for this absolutely delightful book, that I would recommend to everyone as a fabulous feel-good read!

Kelsey Anderson finds herself in a bit of a rut. She’s just lost the dead-end job that she loved in a camera emporium that’s been forced to close down, and her long-term relationship with the staid Fran (Francis) seems to be heading down a long winding road to nowhere.

She’s blessed to have a lovely mom, a grandad that she adores, and a quirky, nerdy teenage
Claire
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One Summer's Night is an absolutely stunning debut novel by the lovely Kiley Dunbar which I totally adored reading. The cover is beautiful and I love the title. We are transported into the absolutely beautiful medieval town of Stratford-upon-Avon.

One Summer's Night captures Stratford Upon Avon in such detail - you feel like you are there. Absolutely breathtaking descriptions of scenery, the tourists, the food, the people and the community. We learn so much about the characters and their lives.
Gem ~ Bee
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the publisher for this free copy to review.

The cover for this book is stunning, a big mention to Diane Meacham for her wonderful work; it perfectly captures the enchanting romance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream (the Shakespeare play that the book centers around) and the backdrop of Stratford-upon-Avon’s Tudor style streets. It is a gorgeous cover!

A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a favourite of mine as I got married on Midsummer’s eve and our guest tables were all named after characters
Julie Morris
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m just going to say right off the bat that I just adored this book. It was a breath of fresh air that I needed after a heavy weekend of thrillers, emotional reads and a lot of intense working on my own book. This novel gave me some mental respite, at the same time filling me with warmth and joy, not a bad effort for one little book.

The storyline of this book was immensely appealing – Shakespeare-loving girl stuck in a rut takes a gamble on her dream job and escapes to Stratford-upon-Avon for
Angela Simmons
Rating: 2.5
This one has me a bit confused, if I’m being honest. One on hand, I really enjoyed it yet, on the other hand, I couldn’t get invested in Kelsey. Truth be told. I struggled to like her.

I liked that this one was a bit different. Rather than being centered on Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters, this one focused on Shakespeare’s birthplace and his works. I found that to be rather refreshing. And the Stratford-upon-Avon setting really came to life; I truly felt as though I was walking in
Maria
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kelsey thinks that her life is blocked, she doesn’t like her work and her partner doesn’t seem to support her as much as he should, only making more pressure on her. When she sees an offer to work as a tour guide in Stratford Upon Avon, she doesn’t doubt to take the chance. What can she loose? A few months in the Shakespeare birthplace, enjoying the summer and meeting new people, it seems that her moment has arrived!
This story has left me a permanent smile on my face, Kelsey loves Shakespeare
Kelly Thomas
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today I am taking part in the blog tour for One Summer’s Night, the debut novel of Kiley Dunbar and I couldn’t recommend this book enough. A fabulous, light-hearted, feel good read.

From the very start of this book I could relate to Kelsey, the lead character, her life taking a very close resemblance to my own. This meant that I was hooked from the start. This romantic comedy was exactly that.

Kelsey has a love for Shakespeare and she first visited Stratford-Upon-Avon as a child on a family
Ella
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
One Summer's Night is a well-written, thoroughly enjoyable read, with a cast of well-drawn characters and a gorgeous summer vibe. The story follows Shakespeare-mad Kelsey Anderson as she embarks on a tour guiding job in Stratford-upon-Avon, leaving behind a lukewarm relationship in Edinburgh with mathematics teacher Francis. Stratford has always been dear to Kelsey, tied as it is into poignant memories of being there as a youngster with her beloved dad, and Stratford is painted so vividly that ...more
J K Pennington
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the beginning - middle of the book, and the storyline was good and kept m me relatively interested for the most part.

However I didn’t finish the book because the more the book went on the more I found Kelsey increasingly irritating. I found her stupid, emotionally immature and extremely naive. She’s supposed to be 28 but has the maturity and intelligence of a 19 years old. If she had just left school or college then I would understand her thought process and her decision making and ALL
Emma
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an early preview copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I was drawn to this book by the beautiful cover. The description appealed to me too, as the protagonist Kelsey loves Shakespeare's work. I studied the same works that are mentioned in the book, so this was a big attraction to me. Even if you are not familiar with Shakespeare's works, you cannot fail to be enchanted by the setting of Stratford -Upon-Avon, and the magic that it has on the characters. The
S.J. Lomas
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is as comfortable and soothing as curling up with my favorite blanket and a hot cup of tea. It was just perfect for my Anglophilic, Shakespeare-loving heart. Not only is this book a love story for main character, Kelsey, it's also a love letter to Stratford-Upon-Avon. I've been blessed to spend two afternoons of my life in Stratford and this book just wrapped me up in all my own colorful, beloved, memories of the place. Set against such a romantic backdrop, we find Kelsey discovering ...more
Jennie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't often read romance novels, so my first thoughts were that the book is as light and bubbly as the gorgeous perry that is shared. It's a bouncy, enjoyable read; there's no real drama and you know that everything will be ok in the end. You are promised a happy ending and that is what you get! Kelsey is a likeable character, and skirts with pockets for the win always. I love the little historical and feminist input in this book as well - it's not overt but it is there if you look for it! The ...more
Fleurtje Eliza
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a lovely book and would - with this title - indeed make a nice summer holiday reading! I especially liked the uplifting sentiment of the book with it's main characters all being so perpetually kind and funny.

There are also lots of quotes about looking at the proverbial bright side of life. Either from Shakespeare's books and plays or by the people supporting Kelsey. For instance her mother: 'Start with this one job and you can conquer the rest of the world another day.'

Speaking of her
Sarah-Jane
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. A nice sweet summer romance about a Scottish woman who, unsatisfied with her life, follows her dream and moves to Shakespeare's birthplace to act as a tour guide. Made for a good day's reading on the beach. I really liked the main character and the supporting characters were also well developed for the most part. I personally would have liked to see more of her 'Scottishness' leaking through, being Scottish myself I know that there are some big culture differences when ...more
Ritu Bhathal
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this uplifting story about Kelsey, a young woman whose future is all planned, or so she thought.
A chance to work in her dream job, albeit rather far away, kick starts changes in her life that have been long overdue.
Not to mention two hunks hankering after her!
Set in the poetic town of Stratford-Upon-Avon, a place I spent many a summers day, taking visiting family to visit, I could feel myself back there, walking alongside Kelsey on one of her tours.
A wonderful debut from someone
Mandie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me this book is going to be hard to review, not because I didn’t enjoy it as I really did. It’s hard because every now and then I struggle to put into words exactly what I enjoyed about a book without giving away what happened and spoiling it for others who have yet to read it. So I apologise in advance if I accidentally give anything away.
Kelsey Anderson had been working in a camera shop in Edinburgh until the owner had to close it for good making her redundant. After a bit of time feeling
Sandy Barker
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story about leaving to find yourself resonated so much with me. That the protagonist heads to a favourite place, Stratford-upon-Avon, and immerses herself in all things Shakespeare, was particularly pertinent to this Theatre Arts and Lit major. I loved how the snippets of Shakespeare's work were woven into the narrative. I love the character journey and the romance, but ultimately, this book is about falling back in love with life, and falling in love with yourself - something I also write ...more
Fiona Wilson
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019-reads
This is an easy read which is perfect for summer holiday, or any other holiday, reading. The story flows well, the characters are very well written, and the way the author describes the various settings allows the reader to imagine them in their mind.

I love the fact that there is a second story about Kelsey to come and I can’t wait to read it.

Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing a copy.
Tracy Larner-Brown
I absolutely loved this book! The proganonist Kelsey takes the leap to move from all her friends and family in Scotland, to Stratford on Avon.
Kiley captures the spirit of the place beautifully with references to the Bard throughout the book of course.
Kiley mentions that there will be a second book about Kelsey and I really hope there is as I for one want to see how her new business adventure and new beau turns out!
Emma Jackson
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect summer reading. Made me want to visit Stratford upon Avon, so much - this book makes it sound so magical. The chemistry between the heroine & the hero (no spoilers about which one it is) is gorgeously expressed.
Sharon
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute story, very easy read. I look forwar d to reading the follow up to this.

3.5 stars.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my review.
Hilde-Gunn
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
1,5 stars.
This could have been a good book, but come om: What happened to speaking to each other? The entire plot in this book is made out of misunderstandings and only because the main characters don’t actually speak to each other. All the drama for nothing.
Bettina Hunt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a lovely read. I really enjoyed all the references to Shakespeare, the fabulous and sometimes quirky characters. Stratford Upon Avon was the ideal setting, great story idea and plenty of romance and a will they wont they story-line.

• Amazing Grace
  • Love Heart Lane (Love Heart Lane Series, Book 1)
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • Foxglove Farm
  • One Last Greek Summer
  • Rachel’s Pudding Pantry
  • What Happens in France
  • The Mill on Magnolia Lane
  • Bridge Over the Atlantic (Bridge Over the Atlantic #1)
  • Spring at the Little Cornish Gift Shop