Start by marking “I Hope You Get This Message” as Want to Read:

I Hope You Get This Message

In this high concept YA novel debut that’s We All Looked Up meets The Sun Is Also a Star, three teens must face down the mistakes of their past after they learn that life on Earth might end in less than a week.

News stations across the country are reporting mysterious messages that Earth has been receiving from a planet—Alma—claiming to be its creator. If they’re being inte
Expected publication: October 22nd 2019 by HarperTeen

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 22, 2019
    In I HOPE YOU GET THIS MESSAGE, three people must face down the mistakes of their past after they learn that life on Earth might end in less than a we ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 2439 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 04 - Oct 02, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about I Hope You Get This Message, please sign up.
    Farah Rishi Walaikum asalaam! Thank you so much for your kind words.

Walaikum asalaam! Thank you so much for your kind words.

To answer your first question, one of the three protagonists is a young Pakistani-American Muslim boy, but I would not classify my book as a Muslim scifi novel; to be specific, it's YA contemporary with grounded scifi elements (i.e., the existence of the hyper-intelligent aliens). As for book availability, I'll try to answer as soon as I have more information! :) (less)

Chaima ✨ شيماء
    [rips your door off of the hinges] DID SOMEONE MENTION GAY SCI-FI?
    Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
    Full review to come. For now, I’ll just say that if you liked We Are the Ants then this is the book you need to read next.
    R.F. Kuang
    Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    So...this was really. flipping. good.

Long RTC. Put this one on your TBRs, you won't regret it.
    ellie
    UPDATE: I JUST REALIZED THIS IS GAY SO IM EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ IT NOW

holy shit this cover is so beautiful!! look at it!!
    Benjamin
    May 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I hope you get how much I need this book in my life.
    Farah Rishi
    Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
    SHRUGS. I dunno, I mean, it IS a book I worked pretty hard on, so I will shamelessly give Past Farah five stars. You did good, kid. You tried your best. And that's enough in my (proverbial) book.
    ♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
    I don’t normally read Science Fiction... ok that’s a lie. I don’t read Science Fiction. But this seems less Science Fiction and more contemporary which I also don’t read a lot of... but the synopsis really sells it to me.
    Noa ☾
    3.5/5

It reminded Adeem of one of the poems his sister had shared with him once, one by Rumi. In the poem, Rumi banters with God over life’s usual philosophical questions: what to do with that pesky thing called a heart, where to focus one’s eyes, etcetera, etcetera. But when Rumi asks God what to do with his pain and sorrow, God tells him, “Stay with it. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”

tw : suicide attempt (in the past, not depicted), mental health issues,

Some books just s

Emily Berge
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "Your pain is where the light enters you."

This book. I don't have words for how much I love it.

It's beautifully written, laced with sadness, and anger, and most of all hope. Farah Naz Rishi is a simply incredible writer. This book is important. I can't wait for more people to read it.
    Stephanie Gillespie
    Arc provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.
    Glasstown Entertainment
    This book is simply something else. Funny, sweet, heartfelt, delightful, and wonderfully sad. Farah Naz Rishi is an incredible debut - and a strong voice to watch.
    The Artisan Geek
    Dec 09, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: digital
    22/12/18
    Mentioned this book in one of my sketches :).

9/12/18
    Oh my gosh, this is a scenario I have always thought about, us living in some sort of simulation and I am so happy that this book is coming out! I can't wait to read it!!!

You can find me on
    Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
    Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)
    Feb 19, 2019 marked it as anticipated-releases
    An #OwnVoices YA sci-fi with a Pakistani-American boy protagonist, my heart is literally about to explode with joy 💕♥💜💞💗💝

London Shah
    Jan 09, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS PREMISE AND CANNOT WAIT TO READ! <3
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Please, I beg all of you to put this book on your to read list. It is such a beautiful story. And you absolutely wont regret it. 👽🛸☄ ...more
    Ivy
    Jan 30, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: coming-soon-19
    I WOULD DIE FOR THIS COVER.
    Leo
    I’m here for the sci-fi and the queer 🏳🌈. ...more
    Tara ☽
    May 27, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    The premise of this is giving me major Stranger Things meets Welcome to Night Vale vibes, and for that fact alone I need this book like air.
    Mariam
    Nothing but love for this book.

ARC provided by Edelweiss
    Neil (or bleed)
    Jun 29, 2019 marked it as need-to-read  ·  review of another edition
    I live for the radio antennas and communication tower on the cover!!
    noah
    This book was like a mix of We Are the Ants and The Weight of the Stars.

It was okay. The premise was super cool and I thought the beginning was interesting, but I slowly lost interest as the book went on.

This is so subjective, but the problem I had was that this was a very emotionally fueled book. Every decision the characters make is based purely on their feelings. For a logic minded person such as myself, this was rather frustrating to read since I just couldn't comprehend the reasoning behind
    Lucsbooks
    This book definitely started with a bang for me with the author’s note on the creative process but sadly did not live up to my expectations.

I absolutely loved the story itself and found it super timely, not only when it came to the small plot arcs like the islamophobia that Adeem has to face, Cath’s ever-present worry over her mother’s decease and the homophobia that Jesse has to deal with but also how the author used the threat of annihilation to show us how the best and worse of humanity can c
    NidhaRajoli
    Wow. That cover is really beautiful. Also, this book has a really creative plot to it. Always in the the mood for a good sci-fi story. Can't wait for this!
    Rose Angelus
    Jun 25, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 9-black
    I ACTUALLY GOT ACCEPTED FOR THIS ARC I'M Y E L L I N G
    Jinni
    PHEW what an awesome book.
    Jessica Lyn
    Review to come closer to pub date
    Muhemed Masika
    Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Earth is apart of the stratosphere
    How could they destroy it without crashing the other planets
    The message is not understood
    Sophie
    May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
    look at this cover!!!!! end of the world sci fi yES pleaseee
    i'm getting strong we are the ants vibes from this i am so excited
    ♠️ TABI ♠️
    I'm here for what seems like something 99% inspired by The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

description
    Ari
    May 20, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    COVER!!! HOLY SHIT!!!
    Farah Naz Rishi is a Pakistani-American Muslim writer and voice actor, but in another life, she’s worked stints as a lawyer, a video game journalist, and an editorial assistant. She received her B.A. in English from Bryn Mawr College, her J.D. from Lewis & Clark Law School, and her love of weaving stories from the Odyssey Writing Workshop. When she’s not writing, she’s probably hanging out wit ...more