Start by marking “A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)

A Mixture of Mischief

(Love Sugar Magic #3)

The third book in the acclaimed, delightful, character-driven middle grade series about a family of Mexican American bakers who also happen to be brujas—witches!
Leo Logroño may have discovered the true nature of her magical abilities, but her education in how to use them in her family’s magical bakery has only just begun. And that isn’t the only bit of trouble in her life:
Published February 4th 2020 by Walden Pond Press

To ask other readers questions about A Mixture of Mischief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mixture of Mischief

Start your review of A Mixture of Mischief (Love Sugar Magic, #3)
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger Warning(s): Kidnapping.

Reading Challenge(s): Book 5 for the #Pondathon. Book 5 for #StartOnYourShelfathon.

Rep: Leo’s family is Mexican. Caroline is half-Columbian and half-White.

My Thoughts Before Reading: I was so excited to read this book! Especially after that brutal cliffhanger in the previous installment.

I am happy to say that it lived up to my expectations!

What I Liked: As usual I loved the family and friendship aspect! It
jocelyn
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is pure, sweet goodness. I'm going to miss Leo Logroño's hijinks. ...more
Anniek
This series is honestly a new favourite! I binged the audiobook this afternoon and it was so fun.
Cara (Wilde Book Garden)
My heart is SO FULL. I’m going to miss Leo and her family but I loved this final installment so much ❤️🧁✨
Enne
4 stars

This was such a nice conclusion to this series! I’m definitely going to miss the Logroño family and all of the shenanigans that Leo and her friends got up to, but I think this book did a really great job of tying up this series!

Once again, I really loved the character of Leo and how much we saw her develop in this book. I feel like we really got to see her come into her own in this installment and she’s very messy throughout the course of the story, which I really appreciated. I feel lik
Cindy
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic conclusion to a wonderful trilogy—this might be my favorite of the three!
Sam Bloom
4.5 stars; when are people going to wake up to this series?! Definitely a family favorite!
Cande
When people ask for cozy stories that feel like a warm hug, these are the books I think about. Great characterization, wonderful relationships, and the perfect ending. We got to see an expansion of the world-building that was fascinating. I really appreciate how this book lets its characters have conflicted emotions, make bad choices but always with the biggest of the hearts. Seeing Leo coming to her powers, growing confident in the love her family and friends have for her, and feeling so proud ...more
Katie
Jun 03, 2020 added it
This was the perfect ending to a wonderful trilogy and exactly what I needed. I've had such a lovely time reading this over the last few months.

I won't give a summary as this is the last book in the trilogy, but as with the other books, I really loved the themes of family and friendship and all of the baking magic. And this book was no different.

The writing of this one felt the most solid of the three. I've liked it in all of the books, but in this book it felt the strongest. The pacing really
Maddie
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-lit
It's spring break in Rose hill and Leo has a lot of work to do before she can officially become a full fledged bruja like all the other women in her family. She's still memorizing what herbs and spices do what, and she's still trying to find out what her birth order magic is. In addition all of her magical family heirlooms go missing and a new bakery called Honeybees has opened up across town, with a suspiciously similar menu to Amor y Azucar (Leo's family bakery). Everyone's hiding secrets, but ...more
Shannon (That's So Poe)
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
What a beautiful ending to this trilogy! Just like in the previous two books, this story follows Leo as she pushes to develop her bruja skills while also dealing with some magical trouble around her. Her family's bakery is facing difficult times as many of their special magical baking equipment goes missing and a rival bakery is about to open up in town. At the same time, Leo has been approached by her paternal grandfather who is offering to teach her about his style of magic where she can becom ...more
Julianne
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much. It is fun and the characters have great adventures. The way the author talks about Mexican baked goods, will make your mouth water and make you crave a concha. This book was particularly great about representing diabetes, Leo finds her self unraveling the mystery of her grandfather with her cousin JP, who happens to be a type 1 diabetic. Cudos to Meriano for a sweet magical mystery.
Reija
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
:Rating: 3.5 stars (Rounded down for Goodreads)

A jawdropping amount of new worldbuilding details that left me craving more and also wished for some more fleshing out. This was still a wonderful, heartfelt read.
Jelke
Jan 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Izza
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middlegrade, 2020, own
4 stars | I love this series so much. So cute 🥰 I hope there will be a 4th book!
MissMeii
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Number one comfort series :)

...(probably the only one but nevertheless it's amazing)
Carisa
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great trio. I’m impressed by the author’s ability to bring a variety of characters to life. I hope to see more from her.
Returning to the Amor y Azucar Panaderia, even through paper pages, is a bit like returning home. It's full of sweetness, and spice, and magic...

A fantastic third book in the "Love Sugar Magic" series, we see Leo learn more of what it means to be a bruja and what her powers are, as well as solve some mysteries, save her family's bakery, and discover even more family secrets. This time, from her father's side of the family...

Also, I really enjoyed an underlying theme of the book, which is Leo and
Kirsti Call
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Mama didn't understand how it felt, how Leo always got held back while her older sisters moved ahead. Leo didn't want to be the extra tagalong sister, the unnecessary fourth-born who didn't even have a birth order power. She wanted to be a bruju, and a baker, and an important part of her family."

This book is a delightful addition to the LOVE SUGAR MAGIC series. Leo is a likable main character with foibles and strengths and an authentic teen voice. Her complex relationships with friends and fami
Rita

The "Love Sugar Magic" books are fun and heartwarming, and "A Mixture of Mischief" is no exception. Like the other two books in the series, it's full of family, friends, magic and baked goods, but this time something serious is happening, and we get a real antagonist in the mix. I really liked the storyline, and most of all I like how Leo is growing up with every book - and learning to be a better bruja and a better person.

I must note that I read this book as an audiobook and I really
Mora
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably my least favorite of the three Love Sugar Magic books, but it was still a fun read and I enjoyed it!

The reasons I didn't like it as much were the way there was so much anger and arguing and bad feelings; and I know that's part of the point/things Leo learns, but it made me a little sad. I also felt parts of the plot were thrown in or contrived and I wasn't a personal fan of some of the decisions it made.

However, I loved the continued importance of family and friends, Isabel, th
Yolande
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts
I have a real soft spot for this series. I love the characters. I love the plot. But for me my favourite part is the family and friendship relationships. Leo has matured since the first book. While she has her moments of jealously and sneakiness she is still young. And learns from her mistakes. While magic as a concept comes to her quite easily there are still things she struggles with and has to work on to perfect which I appreciate and makes more realistic.

If you liked the first 2 boo
sunkissedmiranda
4/5 stars

A great conclusion to this incredibly sweet series! I liked how Meriano incorporated a subtle critique of the machismo mindset as well as the internalized racism/colorism in the Mexican community. The incorporation of tradition vs. innovation was also a worthwhile theme to discuss in a book such as this, especially when the spice and baking magic the Logroño family uses lends itself to a whole host of creativity! While some of the lessons felt heavy-handed, I understand that this is a m
Pam
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
The family's story continues in this third book. Leo learns about magic on her dad's side too when her grandfather contacts her in the night to convince her to come to him for training. Readers see different sides of magic and its uses as Leo works to save her family's bakery and magic.
Middle grade readers will enjoy the fun and the serious side of family relationships and friendships as Meriano reveals more about her characters lives and wishes.
Kristina
Such a good series coming to an end <3
I loved being reunited with all the old friends from the previous books and seeing how the whole family grows. The attempt to broaden the worldbuilding wasn't very convincing in my opinion, due to the fact that this book may be the last installment in the series (so it feels like a bit of wasted potential). However it also creates many possibilities for a future continuation of Leo's adventures so...fingerscrossed 😁
Ellie
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades, series
Another cute book in the Love Sugar Magic series. This book read a little less "little kid-ish" to me, so I hope the trend continues. There were a few hints at some social issue themes, and although they weren't totally explored, it was nice to have a sort of entry point to tougher conversations. Overall, a cute read that was a nice break between some heavier, longer books. ...more
Betsy
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Very cute series. Didn't realize I read #3 before #2, so I was definitely missing some details/background knowledge. I think this is perfect for 3rd/4th graders, and I like that even though the main character is a girl, there are 2 boy main characters and the whole magic/baking is a topic that anyone would be interested in.
Vicki Chicago-Marsh
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All YA/Middle Grade readers
I LOVED this heartwarming series! I loved the magical elements in the books, as well as the darker side of magic depicted by the evil grandfather. These books were about a Spanish bakery, where the family of bakers are also witches that practice kitchen magic; specifically baking magic. You won’t be sorry if you give this trilogy a read!
Wina
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: youth, fantasy
I enjoyed it, listened on audiobook. Middle grade. Reader was good-Kyla Garcia. The characters are well-rounded. I love the family. I like it a lot now that everyone is trusting each other and sharing in the problems. Nice new cousin character. Great message!

Lots of Spanish/Latinx culture, with magic! Takes place in Texas, during Spring Break.

• Ghost Squad
  • Measuring Up
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Chaos Curse (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #3)
  • Maya and the Rising Dark
  • Open Book
  • The House at the Edge of Magic
  • The Museum of Desire (Alex Delaware, #35)
  • Witches of Brooklyn
  • Three Keys (Front Desk, #2)
  • Tristan Strong Destroys the World (Tristan Strong, #2)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Girl Out of Water
  • I Wish My Kids Had Cancer: A Family Surviving the Autism Epidemic
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Internment
  • A Quick & Easy Guide to Sex & Disability
  • Keep It Together, Keiko Carter

Love Sugar Magic (3 books)
  • A Dash of Trouble (Love Sugar Magic, #1)
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)