Start by marking “Red Hood” as Want to Read:
Red Hood

Red Hood

You are alone in the woods, seen only by the unblinking yellow moon. Your hands are empty. You are nearly naked.

And the wolf is angry.

Since her grandmother became her caretaker when she was four years old, Bisou Martel has lived a quiet life in a little house in Seattle. She’s kept mostly to herself. She’s been good. But then comes the night of homecoming, when she finds h
Expected publication: February 25th 2020 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Red Hood, please sign up.

Emily May
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
You are the hunter, and this wolf, though he thinks he is the predator, is your prey.

Elana K. Arnold is one of my favourite writers of the twisted and disturbing. I eagerly seek out her new books and always find myself feeling a little shaken at the end. However, I've said before of Damsel that it should have been marketed as an adult book, and I think that is even more true of this one. Arnold's novels get these gorgeous YA fantasy covers, but I think it leads them into the wrong hands.

In Red
Chaima ✨ شيماء
[inhales] [exhales] [looks out into the sunset] the sweet smell of yet another dark and twisted retelling of an age-old fairytale
Tatiana
Hoo boy, this review is a hard one for me to tackle. I am a huge Elana K. Arnold, but I am not sure I can get fully behind Red Hood, like I gladly did with Damsel. Some more people need to read this ARC and tell me if I'm wrong.

Red Hood is a sort of, kind of a retelling of Red Riding Hood set in a modern world. The novel is definitely written in a fairy tale tone, almost entirely in second person. I thought it worked well for the story's dreamy, but tense narrative.

It opens with Bisou getting re
Candace Robinson
Oh man... So I really liked the writing in Damsel which is why I requested this one to read. But I just couldn’t finish this one because I didn’t know it was written in second person POV!! I just can’t do the second person! 😩
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I desperately want Elana K. Arnold to focus the rest of her writing on endless feminist fairytale retellings ♥
♠️ TABI ♠️
"There isn't always a wolf," Mémé reminds you, "but there is always the threat of one."

description

RTC after a re-read closer to release date but I came into this prepared to be salty and infuriated like I was with Damsel . . . but instead was utterly blown away by the sheer power of this book.

I received a digital ARC from Balzer + Bray via Edelweiss. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Quotes are taken from an uncorrected ARC copy.
Erin Kelly
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this 500 stars, I would.

This book is incredible. The dreamy-like quality of the second-person narration; the clever callbacks to fairy tales of yesteryear; the amazing feminist undertones and overtones; the character- and story-building; even the chapter headings and moon cycle illustrations are strategic and on-point.

I hope this book finds its way into the hands of teenage girls everywhere, so they can begin to unlearn the culture of toxic masculinity in which we’ve all been br
Kelsey
The memory is a mix of pleasure and shame, and you wonder: For the rest of your life, every time you experience that pleasure, will shame be its shadow?

Oh, hell yes. Second person, present tense. My favourite forbidden angel, you're back.

Red Hood is about Bisou, a teenage girl floating in the awkwardness of high school, but with a loving boyfriend and caring grandmother. On the night that she first gets her period, she runs into the woods and kills a wolf - that wolf turns out to be a boy she
Brenna Clark
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to Edelwiess for this eARC! I saw the cover and the title and was automatically drawn in, expecting a Red Riding Hood retelling. There are bits and pieces of that story here, but it is a beast all its own. What I found inside these pages was one of the most empowering stories I've had the pleasure to read, and it was so different than many things I've encountered as it was mostly told in second person. This alone made it unique and created a deeper connection with the story and ...more
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
Thank you HarperCollins and Balzer+Bray for the ARC
Kazia
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow I couldn't put this down, and I felt so strong after reading it!
Michelle
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Nope, this is not for me. I couldn’t get past the POV and I already know how my period flows I don’t need to read about someone else’s. I got about 20% before I was finished with reading about you this and you that.
Just because it didn’t work for me doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. I do recommend you being a bit older since this is not a YA book. Should be marketed as an adult read. I would for sure give it a try you never know if could be YOUR next favorite read.
Lyndall Clipstone
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This was so good. Brutal, visceral, but also in the end... uplifting. I also really loved the use of second person - it was so immersive.
T ❄
Sep 05, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
It is almost physically painful how much I want to read this book. It is almost as if this was written for me personally. Dark fairytale retellings are the BEST.
Kilikina
imma need 2019 to hurry up so i can get this in my hands ASAP
Danielle
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Holy crap, holy crap, holy crap. This book! Arnold is genius. Another book that will make many uncomfortable, as good books that take on male toxicity will do.

Read it. Wear it. Breathe it. Bleed it.
Emma
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019
There are some books that sneak into your heart when you least expect it.

I was initially dismayed when I started reading Red Hood and discovered that it’s written in second person. It’s a bit jarring to feel like there’s no separation between you and this story, which definitely goes into the darkest parts of the forest. Arnold promised in the opening reader’s note (at least in my ARC copy) that she would lead readers out the other side and this promise is what kept me going.

Red Hood wasn’t re
Caroline 💞🐉
I WILL READ ANYTHING THIS WOMAN WRITES. AFTER I READ DAMSEL, I NEED MORE OF HER STORIES!!
L.C. Perry
Aug 10, 2019 marked it as must-have
Damsel was an interesting read so I can only imagine what this book has in store.

*Puts on battle-ready gear*

Alright, I'm ready. Do your worst, Elana K. Arnold!
Ivy
Feb 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-20
HELL. YEAH.
paula
All I'm gonna say is - this book goes there. It goes there, and there, and even THERE. It grits its teeth and breathes deep and sets its stance and if it's trembling, you can't see it, only maybe feel it in your ribcage.
Haley Shaffer
Empowering. Terrifying.

I will proudly hand this book to my daughter just like my mother handed me Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret.
Darryn
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
RTC
Louisa
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, man, this book was so fantastic! Again, it deals with struggles that females face, from judgments to incels. Such a fantastic read!
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books
I NEED IT

I REALLY NEED IT

NO FOR SURE REALLY THOUGH

I NEED THIS BOOK

I AM UNABLE TO PROCESS THIS NEED

FOR THIS BOOK

One-Edgy-Anti-Hero
*Arc provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

---------------
Extremely skeptical due to my luck with YA lately, but curious.
Kat
#Edelweiss
#RedHood
Thank you to HarperCollins and Edelweiss for the opportunity to read and review Red Hood by Elana K. Arnold. A dark, thought-provoking young adult novel that will have you wondering how one young woman can endure so much and overcome it to be a powerful, self-reliant hero. I love how Arnold took a story of a "defenseless little girl" and created a tale of embracing your inner hero. It is a unique show of strength, love, and page-turner adventure.
sinai
rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2019
Marochka
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2019
Anna Eklund
Aug 03, 2019

ELANA K. ARNOLD writes books for and about children and teens. She holds a master’s degree in Creative Writing/Fiction from the University of California, Davis where she has taught Creative Writing and Adolescent Literature. Her most recent YA novel, DAMSEL, is a Printz Honor book, Her 2017 novel, WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF, was a finalist for the National Book Award, and her middle grade novel, A BOY