Start by marking “Storm Hound” as Want to Read:
Storm Hound

Storm Hound

Storm of Odin is the youngest stormhound of the Wild Hunt that haunts lightning-filled skies. He has longed for the time when he will be able to join his brothers and sisters but on his very first hunt he finds he can't keep up and falls to earth, landing on the A40 just outside Abergavenny.

Enter twelve-year-old Jessica Price, who finds and adopts a cute puppy from an anim

Published February 21st 2019 by Macmillan Children's Books

Start your review of Storm Hound
Robin Stevens
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another charming and magical read from Claire - this is like an updated Dogsbody, and I loved it! (8+)

Stephanie
Ohhhh I loved this book SO MUCH! It’s hilarious and magical and so much fun, with a fabulous mix of ancient mythology and a beautifully written contemporary Welsh setting. I defy anyone to read this and not want a Storm hound of their own! And I laughed out loud at every single scene involving sheep. SO MUCH LOVE! <3 ...more
Kelly
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming, funny and full of action. I loved Jessie and thought it was brilliant to read some of this from Storm's point of view. The magic and mythology kept my captivated. A really fun adventure with great characters. I love all the nods to Wales too!

full review to come
Book Gannet
This is fun. Blending Welsh mythology with a hint of Norse, lots of dogs, some pun-loving sheep and magic, this book mixes mystery and adventure alongside the difficulties of adjusting to life after your parents have divorced.

Storm (of Odin) is perfect, a pompous pup with a very high opinion of himself. I loved his encounters with the sheep, the postman and the cat. Anyone who loves dogs cannot fail to love Storm.

Jessie is a fine heroine too, a little lost and deeply sad at the beginning, but sm
Kirstie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read for Kids Book Club

Wow what a heartwarming, funny little book! I absolutely adored it! Though small in page count it works, not a moment is wasted to keep the pace of the story going. Fantastic writing and it's made me want to try more of Fayer's books!
Ruth Morgan
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storm of Odin would not thank me for saying this but he is the most adorable character who has absolutely won my heart. This is a wonderful tale of myth and magic coupled with a real-life family difficulty which will be easily relatable to many children. Claire Fayers is so sure footed in her writing and plotting, the story is packed with delights and Storm Hound has very rightly been shortlisted for this year's Tir na n'Og award. Lovely stuff!
Vincent Ripley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review is here. http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.co...
Blog tour coming soon!
Stephen Baird
Storm of Odin, youngest hound in the Wild Hunt, finds himself in a spot of trouble after falling to earth. He is no longer a gigantic, ravening force of nature tearing the very fabric of the sky apart, he is now a cute puppy with floppy ears and a flappy tail!

The tail weaves Welsh mythology into the modern day, old sorcerors, shape-shifting boys, and a trio of dark, but oh so stupid, wizards looking to steal the power of Storm to power their own magic and ambitions.

A wonderful adventure, that wa
Lilyfae
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Storm Hound takes together Northern European mythology about the Wild Hunt especially Cŵn Annwn together with Welsh mythology of Ceridwen, and it has rescue dogs too- as someone adores mythology and who is devoted to her own Storm/Sleep Hound this jumped to the top of the TBR pile.

The book has it’s own deeply unique world but equally has flavours and hints of classic books and movies that wrap around you and make it feel a comforting familiar quickly drawing you emotionally into the narrative.

St
BooksForTopics
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storm Hound is a hugely entertaining and highly original fantasy adventure from Claire Fayers, author of Mirror Magic and The Accidental Pirates.

Everybody knows that dogs are man’s best friend, except for Storm Hound, the youngest hound in Odin’s sky hunt. Storm believes himself to be fierce, mighty and far above the ways of the domestic dogs living down on Earth. So when he accidentally falls from the skies during his first official hunt and lands on the A40 just outside Abergavenny, Storm is
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This follows Storm, who is part of Odin`s hunt, as he is left behind and arrives on Earth, where he is adopted by a girl named Jessica, and they both face grave danger when sinister strangers show up and take a bit too much interest in the local dogs. I loved both Storm and Jessie a lot, and I liked that the 3rd person POV showed both of their perspectives- Storm`s was especially great as he was hilarious in how he viewed earth and humans- and allowed insight into secondary characters (such as D ...more
Pauline
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a funny and delightful book and readers will fall in love with Storm, the tiny puppy with a huge personality. Moments of great humour arise from the fact that in his own world as part of the Wild Hunt, although still a puppy, Storm of Odin is a large animal who runs with fearsome and feared creatures. When he mistakenly lands on Earth he has all the arrogance and behaviours befitting his station; only he is now a tiny ball of fur. The interactions between Storm and humans and the other a ...more
Mary Rees
This was a fantastically enjoyable read. Storm of Odin is such an endearing character. He refuses to accept that he is a puppy when he falls to Earth, and continues to act as if he is all powerful. This leads to some perfect comedy moments. He is adopted from a Rescue Home by Jessie, who has just moved to Wales, and is dealing with some difficult adjustments to her new life: Storm is just what she needs to help her settle in her new home. Mix together three magicians disguised as Professors; a N ...more
Emily May
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will be highly recommending this one to the children visiting my library- brilliantly written, with so much heart. Really captivating story, setting and characters- and on top of all this, it's funny too. Will be including it in any school book boxes that ask for legends/Wales/Norse mythology/pets/magic. A book to champion and stake your reputation on.
Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous book! Full of humour, adventure and magic. It also throws in a little about families, separation and belonging. Wonderful characters and a great story, perfect for children looking for something a little different...
Lacee
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Laughed out loud several times and had tears in my eyes the last chapter. Perfect mixture of Welsh and Norse mythology.
Kerry
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished STORMHOUND. It's was definitely MG, but fun and enjoyable. I felt it had a lot of Diana Wynne Jones in its ancestry. 8/10.
Simon Mcleish
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantasic children's novel, also likely to amuse adults.
Shelbycat
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fabulous middle grade book with an excellent plot and interesting cast of characters. I loved the Welsh, and other myths being woven in. I definitely did not cry at the end 😭
Steph
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this! Mythology, talking animals, magic and a massive chunk of whit and charm... just brilliant! Claire continues to write books which are just excellent!
Frances
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mythology and dogs and a fun read. There was no way I wasn't going to like this! Saying this the story deals with family splits and fitting in so is not just fluff.
Fern
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst full of wild adventures, shape-shifting magic and troublesome characters, Storm Hound is foremost a heartwarming and powerful tale of belonging, friendship and trust. With subtle exploration into parental separation and moving house, Fayers’ shows through both Jessie and Storm that ‘home’ is much more than geographical location but rather a sense of belonging.

Fayers’ has created a clever blend of myth, magic and wry humour that’s perfect for fans of Maz Evans’ equally hilarious series, W
katayoun Masoodi
Wizzie
Sep 01, 2020
Danni Jervis
Jan 29, 2019

• Malamander (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
  • The Peculiar Peggs of Riddling Woods
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • The Ice Monster
  • Wild Wings
  • WildSpark
  • Varjak Paw  (Varjak Paw #1)
  • Phoenix
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to impossible places, #1)
  • The Boy Who Flew with Dragons (The Boy Who Grew Dragons, #3)
  • Real-Life Mysteries
  • A Kind of Spark
  • Rumblestar (The Unmapped Chronicles, #1)
Please note: I don't often visit Goodreads so I don't accept friend requests and I'm unlikely to see questions posted here. If you'd like to get in touch, please send me a message through my website.

Claire Fayers writes comic fantasy featuring swashbuckling pirates, evil magicians, heroic librarians and man-eating penguins. She grew up in South Wales, studied English in Canterbury, and is now back