Start by marking “Proud” as Want to Read:
Proud

Proud

A stirring, bold and moving anthology of stories and poetry by top LGBTQ+ YA authors and new talent, giving their unique responses to the broad theme of pride. Each story has an illustration by an artist identifying as part of the LGBTQ+ community. Compiled by Juno Dawson, author of THIS BOOK IS GAY and CLEAN.

A celebration of LGBTQ+ talent, PROUD is a thought-provoking, fu
Published March 7th 2019 by Stripes

To ask other readers questions about Proud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proud

Kai
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt, important, owned
"Being effeminate doesn't make you gay
Being sensitive doesn't make you gay

Being gay makes you gay
Be a bit gay, be very gay"

You will not read a book that is
a) cuter
b) funnier
c) prouder and
d) more HELLA FORKING QUEER
than Proud. Ever.

I have read my fair share of anthologies. And they're all kinda fine. Some really good stories, some really meh ones. You know how it is. But this one? A TRUE WINNER. Every poem, every story, every illustration a masterpiece. This collection is made up of 12 lesbian, g
Lala BooksandLala
As if you all didn't tell me this was coming. I don't even know you anymore.
⚔ Silvia ⚓
I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

I didn't expect to enjoy this as much as I did, but holy crap this really was a great anthology. And this is coming from someone who usually has the hardest time getting into anthologies and reading them fast, but I just couldn't put this down.

All stories are set in modern day UK with the exception of one set in Ireland and one set in fantasy China. Apart from being queer
Emma
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I could not be happier to have gotten the chance to review this book in advance. This anthology contains twelve short stories and each of this story has an illustration created especially for it. The authors and the illustrators are all part of the LGBTQ+ community. Plus there is also a foreword written by Juno Dawson, the author who compiled this entire anthology. The hard work put into this book
Cora Tea Party Princess
This is DNF in a good way - I'm coming back to it on release as I just can't read ebooks without migraines and I really want to enjoy this one.

***

I am SO EXCITED for this.

Just look at the contributors. This is going to be another excellent anthology.

***

Having to read this a little at a time (when all I want to do is devour it at once but hey ho my body won't let me) so I'll update as I go.

The forward had me in tears. The introduction had me in tears. Someone send more tissues, please.

Penguins is
Lo O'Neill
Dawson pulls another dazzler with Proud.

“Welcome to being LGBTQ+. Your life is inherently political. Politicians, all over the world, are still discussing whether or not you should have the same fundamental human rights as straight or cisgender people.”

Dawson provides a wonderful and emotive forward and introduction, reminding us how far things have come in 30 years but also the challenges still faced. Including the fact that many LGBTQ+ authors and stories have their books banned and challeng
Celine
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is sooooo good. I almost cried several times and probably would have shed some actual tears had it not been for me sitting on the subway reading. There are just so many beautiful affirmations of the queer community and the artwork was A+
Lauren James
[Gifted]

A joyous, brilliantly curated collection of short stories highlighting the full range and breadth of LGBTQ+ diversity in the UK and Ireland
Chloe
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A beautiful and important collection of work. I loved almost every piece, and the few that I didn't love as much were still moving and important in their own right. I recommend this book to everybody who is LGBTQ+, or a true ally who wants to support writers and artists who are.
Julia
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2019
I want everyone I'll ever meet to read this anthology, either to feel represented and celebrated or to see lgbt people just being people
(maybe I'll write a little about the stories later on)
Rebecca Denton
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From gay penguins to run-away peacocks, fierce poetry and a Phoenix who is entirely at fault: PROUD is not just a fabulous collection of LGBTQ+ stories for teens, it's also a beautiful, sometimes deeply touching collection of tales, confessions and council. An impassioned forward by Juno Dawson, and contributions from David Leviathan, Jessica Valance. Five stars. Get this baby on your TBR, ASAP.
Ritta
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley and Stripes Publishing for providing me an ARC of this book, in exchange of an honest review.

Proud in an AMAZING anthology I want to give to queer kids everywhere!

Besides being so good, combining stories and art by queer authors and artists about queer characters, Proud is a really important book, that celebrates queer identities all around the spectrum - and by that I mean stories about different sexualities and gender identities, not only about gay or lesbian characters, wh
Hâf
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, a fantastic collection of stories written by knowledgeable inspiring authors and illustrated by brilliant artists. I can't put into words how empowering this book is for members of the LGBTQ+ community, we desperately need more literature written by LGBTQ+ authors. Two of my favourite stories were Penguins and The instructor, they were told so beautifully. The only disappointing aspect is that there wasn't a story representing asexuality, not even a side character as far as I ...more
Manon the Malicious
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book was an anthology containing 12 stories. All twelve stories were written by a different author and had art joined to it by an artist. That's 24 people, all LGBT+. Also, it was compiled by Juno Dawson, also LGBT+, and she wrote the foreword.
All the stories are about Pride, being proud of who we are, in one way or another.

The book grabbed me when I read the first sentence of Juno Dawson's foreword. After that, I was a go
Stacey (prettybooks)
My first publisher event of the year was Stripes’ EqualiTea. I was excited to be given a copy of LGBTQ+ anthology Proud, edited by Juno Dawson. It’s full of stories, art and poems from authors and illustrators who are part of the community, including Tanya Byrne, Moïra Fowley-Doyle, David Levithan, Simon James Green and many more.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

#gifted: Thank you to the publisher for sending me this book for free in exchange for an honest review!
Anniek
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this anthology a whole lot! Usually I have a hard time rating anthologies because the stories' quality will differ and I won't like every story equally, but all of the contributions to this book were so consistent. I'd honestly rate them all 4 stars separately. It made me really happy to read this.

While I did love what this anthology IS, and I wouldn't want to rate it on what it ISN'T, I can't help but feel disappointed that there wasn't any aro and/or ace rep. Since this book is promote
Robin Stevens
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully written, beautifully illustrated collection of LGBTQ+ stories by new and established authors, this book is something to be proud of! (12+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. If you use it in any marketing material, online or anywhere on a published book without asking permission from me first, I will ask you to remove that use immediately. Thank you!*
Kristel
I loved all of these stories and illustrations!
I read slowly, since the beginning of June and finished the last beautiful story today.
Stephanie
Feb 24, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I tend to read anthologies slowly, just one or two stories at a time, spaced out - so from now on, to try to keep myself accountable, I'm going to start reviewing them at that rate, too!

PROUD is an anthology of LGBTQ stories, poetry and art by #ownvoices creators, and it starts with a powerful, (justifiably) angry and empowering introduction by editor Juno Dawson. The very first short story in the anthology, Simon James Green's "Penguins," is so adorable and fun, I was physically beaming by the
Lizzie (Littlehux) Huxley-Jones
I had the absolute pleasure of reading an early copy of Proud. This rich anthology is filled with joy, euphoria, sadness, romance, loss, beauty and triumph. It is an astonishing collection, that brought me to tears several times — with happiness while reading Simon James Green’s story of Penguins and with the heartache of recognition in Cynthia So’s tale of Phoenixes. This is a collection that every queer person needs to read, adult or teen. Make this book a priority for 2019.
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
"Sing it in defiance of all the people who want you to be quiet. Sing it to lift your own soul from the depths. Sing it to be the music you want in the world." - David Levithan

Proud is an exquisite anthology of short stories, poetry and art about teenagers from across the LGBT+ spectrum. From gay penguins to lesbians with firebirds to campaigning for equality on the streets of Dublin, this is a stunning cross-section of life for LGBT+ teens in the UK and Ireland. My only qualm was that there n
Lily
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
4.5 stars!
This was such a wonderful and varied collection of stories, with so many different character and identities represented and celebrated. Thinking about queer and questioning teens picking this up honestly makes me tear up, because I know this is gonna be so important for so many people out there. Each and every one of the stories is wonderful in their own way, but my personal favourites were:
- The Phoenix's Fault by Cynthia So (f/f fantasy with chinese mythology - i cannot WAIT to read
Alfie Rowland
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** Originally published on my blog at https://elfcouncillorreads.blogspot.c... **

So, it's finally time - the queerest book of 2019! I was at YALC last year when Juno Dawson and the Stripes team unveiled Proud and to say it got me excited was an understatement. After waiting nearly seven painstaking months to be able to read it I can say I was not disappointed at all - and thanks to the people over at Stripes for letting read this early or I would have been waiting even longer!

If you've been livi
Kate (Reading Through Infinity)

I was send a free copy of this by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book.

TWs: Bullying, transphobia, anxiety, depression, homophobia, violence, off-page death.

This collection is wonderful and I loved reading it so much. Each story focuses on different characters of different orientations, as they figure out what it means to be a queer teen in today's society. There are gay, bi, lesbian, trans, queer, and questioning characters, and
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
Such an uplifting collection of LGBT stories. It highlights how important it is to move past purely 'coming out' tales and to show the nuanced people behind the sexuality. I can't tell you how lovely it is to finally have so many 'happy gays' in one book. I love how Stripes have curated this anthology to include authors and illustrators from the community. Tanya Byrne's story especially will stay with me for a long time.
Sophie Cameron
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant, broad and very inclusive collection of stories and poems spanning different genres, themes and identities. It's a wonderful snapshot of LGBTQ+ writing for young people from the UK and Ireland and is in turns funny, touching, stirring, empowering. I really loved it and can't wait to see the final version with artwork!
Izzie
An excellent anthology, one I hope will inspire and empower LGBT+ teens for years to come.

Full review to come.
Megan  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received a copy free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Two years ago I read a brilliant anthology called A Change is Gonna Come, published by Stripes Publishing and I adored it – it shone a spotlight on some much-needed voices and stories in UKYA. Proud does the same thing as it is full of stories from LGBTQIAP+ authors that fill a void in UKYA (don’t get me wrong, there is some great queer UKYA, but we need so much more!) This anthology is full of so many exquisi
kelly ♥
➸ 5 stars

ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I knew, going into this anthology, that I was going to walk away from it having been put through my paces. As someone who identifies on the LGBTQ+ spectrum, I knew this book was going to reach into my chest, tug on my heart and leave it, still beating, in the palm of my hand. Reading this book was going to scare me, was going to frustrate me, was going to leave me feeling hopeful and breathless and annoyed at the state of our wo
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Change Is Gonna Come
  • Noah Could Never (Noah Can't Even, #2)
  • The Furies
  • The Quiet at the End of the World
  • Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens
  • Loveless
  • Take Two (Waiting for Callback #2)
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Slay
  • Wasted
  • The Twice-Lived Summer of Bluebell Jones
  • My So-Called Phantom Lovelife (Afterlife, #3)
  • Another Life (When I Was Joe, #3)
  • Immortal Remains (Weirdsville, #2)
  • The Lost Coast
  • One Seriously Messed-Up Week in the Otherwise Mundane and Uneventful Life of Jack Samsonite (Jack Samsonite, #1)
  • The Bubble Wrap Boy
Previously wrote under the name James Dawson

Queen of Teen 2014 Juno Dawson is the multi award-winning author of six novels for young adults. In 2016, she authored the best-selling World Book Day title: SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.

Her next novel is the beautiful and emotive MARGOT & ME (Jan 2017) which will be followed by her adult debut, the memoir THE GENDER GAMES (Jul 17).

Juno also wrote the bestse