Start by marking “Better Place (Rainbow Place, #3)” as Want to Read:
Better Place (Rainbow Place, #3)

Better Place

(Rainbow Place #3)

Joe deserves better. Meeting Dylan helps him see that.

After a recent redundancy, Joe takes a few months off to try and make it as a writer. His partner, Harry, is less than supportive but Joe is used to that after ten years together, just like he’s used to Harry’s controlling nature and his drinking habit.

Dylan, a server at Rainbow Place, is fascinated by Joe as he sits in
Published February 22nd 2019 by Jaybird Press

To ask other readers questions about Better Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Place

Judith
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5

Third book in the series but can be read on it's own as characters from previous books who are present here are well introduced.Each story is loosely connected by Rainbow Place, a LGBT friendly cafe in a small town in Cornwall.

Dylan is in his early 20's and works as a server in the cafe and is growing increasingly attracted/drawn to a man who sits quietly working on his laptop.He's definitely Dylan's type so he tries to engage him in conversations which is met with some reluctance at first bu
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.5~

Like the other books in this series, Better Place can be read as a standalone but, in my opinion, will bring more enjoyment if read as part of a whole.

The series revolves around a cafe owned by Seb (MC from book 1), and all the characters interact and are at least tangentially involved in each other's stories.

Dylan has a crush on an "older" (I use this term loosely since Joe is 42) guy who spends hours at the cafe writing on his lap top. Joe is trying his hand at being an author and is wo
Ky
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
Jay Northcote is one of the authors that never disappoint me. No matter what he writes I always end up enjoying whatever I read by him.

"Better Place", the third story in the "Rainbow Place" series, kept with the program. It was a second chance story with an age gap between the characters that dealt with an abusive relationship and new beginnings.

Dylan has recently moved to Porthladock, he's an artist and works at the Rainbow Place until he can support himself with his art. He was in an abusive r
.Lili.
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love Better Place by Jay Northcote, but in the end, it was ok. I enjoyed the setting, the characters, but there was a disconnect in the relationship development between Dylan and Joe.

Why? Fucken Harry, Joe's boyfriend through half the book and that never went away after the breakup. There was a good reason why- Harry and Joe had been together for ten years, lived together, and their finances were tangled up together. It wasn't a situation that'd have a clean break, but I was tired o
Jay Northcote
Jan 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is book three in the Rainbow Place series. They don't have to be read in order and it can be read as a standalone.
Adam
I had to think about my rating for ‘Better Place’ for a bit. Some parts I liked, but ultimately I didn’t really connect to this book at all.

Dylan’s job at the Rainbow Place café is made even better by the quiet writer who becomes a regular. The server never misses an opportunity to awkwardly flirt with his favourite customer.

The customer in question, Joe, thinks Dylan’s sweet. But he’s focused on his writing. And, more importantly, Joe’s already taken.

From the beginning of the book, readers know
Cadiva
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just like with his Housemates series, Jay uses a loose theme - in this case the Rainbow Place cafe itself - to hang his stories on.

And, like that series, each of the three books released in this one has been utterly different in the couple it features but has a similar hook with each pair focused on taking a step into a new future.

This has a small age gap, an MC who has escaped an abusive relationship and one who is in a relationship that seems to have become one after a decade together.

There's
Ariana
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ku, lgbtq, not-for-me, age-gap
I usually enjoy Jay Northcote’s writing and have read lots of his books. Mostly his books are light, nice and relaxing reads with a good dose of romance. This series though is not doing it for me.

I wasn’t overly excited about book 1 and was hoping for more here. I’m very sorry to say that this didn’t happen. On the contrary. For me this book was decidedly bland.

Two-dimensional MCs, too much telling rather showing, a plot that consisted to big parts of every day routines (as accurate to RL as thi
Chris, the Dalek King
I’d like to say right off, that the timing of this review could not have happened at a worse time. This week happens to be one of the busiest we have all year at my day-job, and I’ve been pulling double-digit work days in order to stay on top of everything. Needless to say, I’m a little spacey and a lot tired. Luckily for you, me, and the whole of the cosmos, this book actually turned out to be my favorite of the series. So that means I don’t have to be extremely grumpy on top of exhausted. Unfo ...more
Joyfully Jay
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

I’ve been reading the Rainbow Place series right along, and I’ve enjoyed the way this small cast of characters are all finding their HEA. I love that the café brings them together and that Seb has a way of connecting everyone. I will say though, I had some problems with this book, and I think it’s my least favorite of the three so far.

I enjoyed both Dylan and Joe. They each have their own hurdles to face, and they both do a lot of growing throughout the story. Dy
Rachel Emily
3.5 stars for me.

Better Place is the third book in the Rainbow Place series. This one works well as a standalone, as I haven't read the first two books in the series but I also never felt like I was missing something. Joe is an aspiring writer in his early 40's who has been in a committed relationship for ten years that has definitely gone stale over the years. Dylan is a waiter who works at the cafe where Joe comes in to work on his story.

I really enjoyed the first half of the story where Dylan
Sheri
*sigh*
I'm disappointed. And...I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed.
I don't know why exactly this series isn't giving me my usual Northcote feels. It's as though it's missing something but I can't put my finger on what? Ugh.
So here's the thing...I knew going in that Joe was in a relationship when he initially meets Dylan. That's clearly stated in the blurb. Not ideal, but okay.
However, I had *hoped* they would split early on giving ample time for Joe and Dylan to be together.
That did not ha
Funzee Shu

Maybe this is the hardest review I ever made this year because I have a huge dilemma when I wrote it. I have some issues with what had happened in this book that made me a bit in struggling to finish it.

I’ve known Jay for years and enjoying his works so much. Almost ALL the books I read always ended with 4 and 5 stars, but I need to admit that this book is not one of his best works and it’s hard for me to give this 3 stars but I think I need to be truth (at least) to myself and finally decided n
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-review, read-2019
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

CONTAINS SPOILERS

I generally love Jay Northcote’s stories. His writing style is pure Brit and his characters are always believable, three-dimensional, and endearing. I’ve enjoyed the Rainbow Place series and always look forward to the glimpse of past characters and a chance to catch up with them. We get that here, and it was enjoyable, but I had a few problems with the romance in this st
French_fry
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a pretty big fan of Jay Northcote but this one was not my favourite. I felt the potential escalation of abuse in Joe's relationship with Harry really compromised the romance in this story. I liked both Dylan and Joe but didn't connect with them as much as I'd have liked. I've had my own experiences with exiting a relationship with a controlling alcoholic so this might just be me but I did not enjoy revisiting that in any way. This one probably just wasn't for me.
Adrianamae
I had to push myself to finish this story.
I like Northcote's stories, and I do like the Rainbow series, but this story not so much.
For whatever reason I felt a disconnect with the characters and the plot. I just didn't care.

For me, as a reader, the story, the romance, the conflict, whatever comfort and hurt showed in the story was just muted or toned down to the point where (for me) it didn't matter.

I'm kinda disappointed. This one is a 2.5 rate because Northcote is a competent writer.
Kristin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The author and publisher note this could be read as a standalone, and I mostly agree, though reading the books in order will help explain the background and characters more clearly.
The blurb summarizes the book and plot quite well and accurately, so I won’t rehash. Also one trigger warning as relates to abuse.

The plot was a reminder that abuse can be mental or physical, that it can happen in all relationships, and that it sometimes takes someone who’s been there to point out the signs. In this
K.R. Phoenix
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4.5 stars
🔥🔥🔥 Heat Level: 3.5

A wonderful story about taking your life back and deserving better!

This was the first story of Jay’s that I’ve read and I loved it! Great, detailed writing style with whimsical romance and witty characters with depth and heart.

An easy to read, story about realizing you deserve better. Joe is in this situation with his long term partner, Harry. I liked how Jay approaches Harry’s controlling ways and subtle abuse of Joe. Abuse isn’t always physical and it’s importa
Ruthie Taylor
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the third book in the series, and whilst it could be read as a standalone, I think the experience would be richer if you know the background to the Rainbow Place, its owner and staff. That said, you do get quick updates on who is who as we go along.

I really enjoyed this story, a lot, because it really does deal with the nitty gritty of life, rather than just the sparkly bits. I do think that the blurb gives away
Carra
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The third book in the series, Better Place does stay true to Rainbow Place being a center point for the characters (Dylan works there, and Joe starts coming in as a customer). When the story begins, Joe is already in a relationship with someone else—with whom he lives—so there’s an immediate obstacle which Dylan does try to respect even though he is drawn to Joe.

Joe does have issues with his current relationship, and Dylan recognizes certain “signs” that echo issues he had with his own prior rel
Lily
I enjoyed Jay’s third story set in and around the Rainbow Place cafe. This is an everyday romance, with nothing OTT or like a soap opera about this tale. There’s plenty of eating, drinking, working, and watching TV in this slow-burn, low-angst romance.

Dylan works in the cafe and that’s where he meets Joe, who’s attempting to write his first novel. I liked how they gradually get to know each other and how their tentative conversations blossoms into friendship. As readers, we know this will turn
Elsa Bravante
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
La pareja es mona, pero me ha dejado un tanto fría, no me ha despertado mucho.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is the story of Joe, an aspiring writer, and Dylan, the server at Rainbow Place who develops a massive crush on the older man. This is quite a dark read and I feel like this book is missing some of the joyful moments that balance the grittier themes in the previous books.

Joe’s life is pretty grim at the start of this story and I think we might actually see more of Joe and Harry’s miserable relationship than is
Apolishedreader
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Bo
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Bit of a Slow Down, Really 3 1/2 Stars

Each of the covers in this series portrays a hunk who is eventually going to hook up with a younger, openly gay, many who sweeps him off his feet in the milieu which becomes Rainbow Place, an LGBT-friendly café that is basically where most of the out-of-the-bedroom action takes place.

In this one the guy on the cover is Joe, an incredibly hot 40-year-old college professor who has apparently lost his position but has also decided to he would rather be a writ
Shelby
Mar 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 15%.

I like Dylan. I can't stand Joe. I didn't and still haven't read the blurb for this book, so I didn't know that Joe was in a relationship (of 10 years, no less).

Regardless of Harry and his issues, right from the get-go, Joe's POV paints Harry in an unfavorable light. Joe doesn't even seem to like him. I don't think he has had one decent thought about Harry so far. He drinks too much, he is passive aggressive, etc. Joe seems to think its unreasonable for Harry wanting to mind their spe
Annie
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, age-gap, m-m
Better Place marks the third book in the Rainbow Place series and may be the easiest to read as a standalone. I’ve really enjoyed the sweet simplicity of this series and while Better Place has these hallmarks, this one had a more tenuous start for me.

The Rainbow Place series boasts a wide range of characters and different storylines, but they all lean toward the slow burn style of romance. Better Place was no different. When Dylan and Jeff first meet, there’s some obvious chemistry but Jeff’s l
Sunne
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are series that feel like coming home.
I always love when I have a series, where I know I will enjoy reading the next book.
Rainbow Place is one of these series - I'm always looking forward to the next story.
Jay Northcote has established himself as one of my "1-click" authors. Not every book is as good as the next one, but all hold an entertaining quality that I enjoy a lot.

So - that said - I had difficulties reading this one. Not because of the writing but because of the subject. Joe's rel
Grace
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. This one didn't really do it for me. To be honest, I've not really been overly impressed with any of the books in this series. They aren't *bad* but they feel a little like the author is just phoning it in. The chemistry in this one was just lacking, and I didn't really feel invested at all in Joe and Dylan's relationship.

I also just really didn't enjoy the heeeavy focus on Joe and Henry's relationship, the man he is dating for the first 50% of the book. The fact that it was so drawn out re
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this one a lot. The writing is great and the story believable and realistic. The romance part was a little too rushed for me. I wanted more time between the breakup with Harry before Joe and Dylan get together. The tension between them was obvious and once the breakup happened I knew there was no way they would make it at being just friends but I think that the story needed it. Even Harry was an ass in the end I ended up feeling a little sorry for him and we didn't really get an HEA here ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I don't hang out on Goodreads much, so if you'd like to connect with me then Twitter, Facebook or an email is usually best :) All my contact details are on my website.

Jay lives just outside Bristol in the West of England. He comes from a family of writers, but always used to believe that the gene for fiction writing had passed him by. He spent years only ever writing emails, articles, or website c

Rainbow Place (4 books)
  • Rainbow Place (Rainbow Place, #1)
  • Safe Place (Rainbow Place, #2)
  • Mud & Lace (Rainbow Place, #4)