Start by marking “You Must Revise Your Life” as Want to Read:
You Must Revise Your Life

You Must Revise Your Life

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Stafford reflects on the writing process and on the influences on his art
Published November 28th 1986 by University of Michigan Press (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about You Must Revise Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Must Revise Your Life

Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, writing-craft
If you want to better understand how William Stafford approaches writing, this book may help with that. Through a combination of essays, poetry and interviews, Stafford presents what I can only describe as a kind of philosophy of writing, including his approach to helping others find their own voice. "Every Morning All Over Again" sums up his process more beautifully than I ever could, so here you go:

Every Morning All Over Again

Only the world guides me.
Weather pushes, or when it entices
I follow
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays
I can't imagine a more useful or insightful book that concerns itself with where poetry comes from, how it's formed, and the attention to how it sounds (the syllables, etc.). I think the interviews are the best, especially "Performing and Poetry" and "A Witness for Poetry". I've always loved Stafford's poems, which he defines as "talking without mistakes". I have a copy of Stafford reading at the University of Iowa and, true to form, it's hard to distinguish when he is talking in between poems o ...more
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A friend once said to me that she was pretty sure William Stafford is God. After reading this, I'd have to agree.
Dec 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
William Stafford's poetry and his writing about poetry inspires me and helps me keep writing.
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
The second in a series of several books about William Stafford in the Poets on Poetry series. Kinda thin, it wouldn't be my recommendation to read this before Crossing Unmarked Snow or The Answers Are Inside the Mountains, but worth getting around to eventually.

It contains interviews with Stafford, and articles by him on the craft of writing and the teaching of poetry.
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
We were born poets
Who Knew

I came to this book via a reference in one of Lori Jakiela's poems.

Jun 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Sometimes very astute, sometimes tries to hard to be the guru...His poem, A Course in Creative Writing is very good, which of course, means very reassuring...
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insight into Stafford's writing habits and style. Inspiring for any writer or writer wanna-be as his heavy use of metaphors creates visuals that go far beyond the words he uses.
Dec 12, 2009 rated it liked it
There are some 5 star parts in this book and I still highly recommend it, but it is a little disjointed and anecdotal.
Wade Fox
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I like this book for both his views on writing and teaching. It is interesting to see how his "passivist" view of teaching correlates with the current ideas of student-centered teaching.
Mar 16, 2012
  • Flying At Night: Poems 1965-1985
  • Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry
  • Best Words, Best Order: Essays on Poetry
  • The Dream of the Unified Field: Selected Poems, 1974-1994
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Harvest Poems: 1910-1960
  • Collage Lab: Experiments, Investigations, and Exploratory Projects
  • Enough about You: Adventures in Autobiography
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • On Poetry and Craft: Selected Prose
  • The Balloonists
  • Small-Space Container Gardens: Transform Your Balcony, Porch, or Patio with Fruits, Flowers, Foliage, and Herbs
William Edgar Stafford was an American poet and pacifist, and the father of poet and essayist Kim Stafford. He and his writings are sometimes identified with the Pacific Northwest.

In 1970, he was named Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress, a position that is now known as Poet Laureate. In 1975, he was named Poet Laureate of Oregon; his tenure in the position lasted until 1990. In 1980,
More about William Stafford...

Nonfiction Deals