Start by marking “The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)

The Lost Colony

(Artemis Fowl #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  142,773 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews
Ten thousand years ago, humans and fairies fought a great battle for the magical island of Ireland. When it became clear to the fairy families that they could never win, they decided to move their civilisation underground and keep themselves hidden from the humans. All the fairy families agreed on this, except the eighth family, the demons.

The demons planned to lift their
Published December 4th 2018 by Disney Hyperion (first published September 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Colony, please sign up.
Benjamin Boyd Being a geniuses doesn't make you perfect. Confidence is build over experience, Their experience tells them they can out smart most people that try to…moreBeing a geniuses doesn't make you perfect. Confidence is build over experience, Their experience tells them they can out smart most people that try to harm them. They are blinded by their own genius. (less)
Emi She, unfortunately,only appears in one book. She was a lovely character and a potential love interest for Artemis. However, the author elected to not…moreShe, unfortunately,only appears in one book. She was a lovely character and a potential love interest for Artemis. However, the author elected to not go in that direction. I won't spoil the rest. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  142,773 ratings  ·  1,831 reviews

Start your review of The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
Jayson
(A-) 83% | Very Good
Notes: It's about puberty, instability and bodily change, (view spoiler).
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl #5), Eoin Colfer
Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony involves bringing the demon island Hydras back from "Limbo" with the help of N1, a powerful demon warlock. Artemis, Butler, Holly, Mulch, and Foals reunite after Artemis encounters a demon from the island Hydras, and Holly and Mulch capture the pixie fish smuggler Doodah Day. Foals tells them after the Battle of Taillte, the war for land against fairy and human, the demon fairy family sent themselves out of time on the
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017

I wasn't expecting this. I was trying too hard to like this book. But I couldn't. I just couldn't! :(
3.5 Stars

For God Sake, Eoin!!! Change the pattern. I have guessed by now how you will start the book. Of course, after reading the last four books of the series. So I was bored in the beginning except for one thing. There was action and little excitement. Or I also consider the excitement in this
Cassie
Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony is the fifth book in the series, and I personally think that everyone who loves Harry Potter should read these books. Better written and with more intelligent contemplation of elements like magic and technology, this is a series that readers of all ages can enjoy. By book five, we’ve been introduced to a wide and fun cast of characters, and unfortunately had one of our good friends die. There is no over-arcing plot between books, though there are certainly ...more
Nestle
Sep 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was ecstatic when i bought the new release just last year! Here i thought that there would never be another person who could match artemis fowl and here pops up a Pretty, 12 year old French Prodigy! Who Artemis seems to be really attracted to! I must say that i am very excited for these two geniuses! A girl version of Artemis Fowl named Minerva! what a coincidence in names! The girl seems to be definately artemis' match! Well, Minerva, at this age is just like Artemis when he was 12 years old, ...more
Adibah Atiqa (persephtiyareads)
my Artemis Fowl's reading playlist : https://open.spotify.com/user/debbyhattan/playlist/1rQmLp9EHxnQwB72zHGgSk

“Control puberty?" snorted the bodyguard."If you manage that, you'll be the first.”

This book literally got me cracked up when it comes to the humor of Artemis' stage of growing up xD How smol and so innocent he is back then from the very first book till now the sixth. So memorable to follow up his journey.

“If it looks like a Dwarf, and it smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a
Caela Harrison
I like Eoin Colfer - he has some cracking ideas. However, he is one of the laziest writers I've read in a while. His work would be so much better if he spend a little time on it; he has the manner of a 10 year old boy with a brilliant idea, desperate to gush it all out before it's lost.

There is no excuse for a children's book to be shoddy. I'm not ashamed of reading children's books, but I do wish authors would try a little harder. Colfer has a good mind and a great deal of potential to write
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
What's weird is that this was the first of the series I'd unwittingly picked up from the library at a whim– only to devour it in one go and proceed to buy all four preceding books the very next day.

Eternally grateful to Artemis Fowl for being one of the major contributors to my bookworm evolution.
Ghada-NQ
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE SO FAR!!!!!!
Niki
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By this book, this series has started to feel "stretched".

We have a saying in Greek about this kind of thing, "to pull it by the hair", when a creator decides to keep a series/ a TV show/ etc. going, even though they don't really have the inspiration or will to do so anymore (in this case: "Eoin Colfer is pulling the Artemis Fowl series by the hair!"), so they just introduce increasingly ridiculous plot points. For a prime example of this, see JK Rowling's "The Cursed Child", which is a JOKE.
H Mckeachie Mckeachie
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like adventure and comedy
Recommended to H Mckeachie by: my family
"Artemis Fowl and the Lost Colony" is a great book! If you have read the other books in the series this is a great continuation of them. I think this book is good for many reasons. First of all, it is filled with humorous and witty comments, even in the most dire situations Eoin Colfer finds room to fit them. You will find yourself laughing outloud to yourself when reading. Another great thing about this book is that it takes you on and adventure and it starts off right away, there's no waiting ...more
Nikki
Reading too many Eoin Colfer books too close together doesn't seem to help in appreciating them. There's something about the tone and such that just starts to get on my nerves after two or three of his books. Still, Artemis Fowl is still fun, and while this book didn't contain many surprises, I quite liked the new characters, and I'm interested to see what happens in future. Minerva should be interesting, and I hope Number One shows up again. And Doodah, maybe.

Other than that, though, I don't
Abby
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this installment, we see Artemis coming to the aid of demonkind, the seventh fairy race that has become lost in time due to a warlock spell gone wrong. The Artemis Fowl series continues to get more complex with each book. The time travel element is surely confusing to its younger readers. And now we have an aged Artemis with a stronger connection to Holly Short. Can't wait to see their continuing adventures together.
Nikki
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-and-read
I LOVE THIS SERIES! The way Eoin Colfer raises the stakes with every book while deepening the characters and their relationships is so amazing. So good, I didn't want to put it down.
Connor
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Fantastic. I loved it!
Artemis and Holly are both feeling let down now that they are not saving the world. Artemis decides to try to unravel one of the Faerie secrets about what happened to the lost colony of Demons. When his hunches prove correct, Holly is recruited by a special police force to make contact with Artemis and figure out what he knows.

I love Artemis! Even when he isn't trying to get into trouble, he does. He and Holly make a good team too. We also get some new characters! Minerva is also a teenage
Aliya
Aug 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, fiction
This is where the Artemis Fowl series starts to go in a downward spiral. I don’t know if it’s because I read them when I was older (considering they were published when I was older obviously in comparison to the first 4 books) or it’s because they really did get a worse than the first four. I read this one twice - didn’t really like it much the first time around, but liked it a lot more after having forgot what happened and re-reading it.

The storyline is nice; it flows well, and a ton of new
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
--4.5/5 stars--

I've always enjoyed this installment more than the others perhaps because I believe this is where the real Artemis finally shines through. He's not trying to dominate the crime world, or stuff his family's bank accounts with a stupid amount of money, or even making things difficult for the People. He's just...a kid who wants to help out his friends--albeit a genius who can run quantum dynamics equations through his head in the span of seconds, but still a kid. He's sarcastic but
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Artemis Fowl books have continued to be a great series to read. For some reason I always start reading these books with a bit of reluctance because they are, after all, kids books. A few pages into the book though I am always hooked again; this continues to be the case.

In this book Artemis calculates that the time warped island that demons live on is slowly unraveling. He is attempting to prove his calculation by detaining a time warped demon. With a demon as proof he is hoping that
Lisa
While I very much love this series, I had found it difficult to finish this book when I read it. I got half way through and just stopped, which is weird because this is my second favourite series.
But I do feel that there was just a little too much going on for me, and a lot of new characters.
And, on a personal side, I didn't at all enjoy Minerva. She didn't even grow on me like characters usually do.
But there are some interesting developments that are key in book too and definitely worth the
Stephanie (Bookfever)
As always I loved this addition to the Artemis Fowl series but it wasn't as good as the previous books. Still a really great read, though!
Juliet
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, and loved the ending! Fascinating turn of events.
Ric
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been trying to work my way through Artemis Fowl, because it’s been years since I read this series and it’s the one that got me into reading when I was a kid. And I’m realizing now upon finishing this book that I don’t think I got to this book when I was younger, because I remembered nothing about it. But that was nice, because it’s adding another element to this series that has always had a special place for me. It may be for a younger crowd, but it’s so incredibly entertaining.

The Lost
Nico
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book because it has a lot of action and adventure which are two of my favorite genres in books. My favorite part of the book was when Artemis fell through the a time tunnel and became young again. Then at the end he met up with his friend he was separated from a long time ago. The barely recognized each other. I recommend this book to people who like action and adventure.
Caylynn Bleess
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Control puberty?” snorted the bodyguard. “If you manage that, you’ll be the first.”

In the fifth installment of the Artemis Fowl series, we see Artemis- THE AF- experiencing puberty for the first time. And, guess what? It hits our favorite, fancy pants, 14 year old criminal genius just as hard as everyone else.

But at the same time, he’s also dealing with a new issue that the fairy kind haven’t had to deal with in a few millennia- demons. The Eight Family of faerie kind. They disappeared from the
Sara ♥
February 4-7, 2018

I really liked this book! Number 1 was a light and humorous addition to the cast, and the plot was really cool. The time stuff at the end was a bit confusing, but I was like, "I'm just gonna trust that whatever Artemis is saying is correct..." Lol! The eye swap is pretty fun. I can't wait to see if that has an effects other than aesthetic.... Also... MINERVA!!! Can't wait to see what happens next book with her! :)

October 26-29, 2008

11/3/2008:
HOLY COW!!! It ended, and I went,
Tyler
Dec 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the penultimate Artemis Fowl book, the series manages to get even weirder than before. The story is just as lively and interesting but a little disturbing with Artemis's switching digits and gaining magical abilities. Initially I must say that this doesn't please me as it seems to break (or at least bend) several of the implied rules of fantasy, especially children's fantasy. However, this may change when the final book is released. It is also quite intriguing to note how Artemis has turned ...more
Debbie
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: acion/fantasy fans
Book five in the Artemis Fowl series.

When the fairy folk decided to live underground to keep their world a secret from humans, the Demons refused to join them. Instead, the Demons chose to move their island home to another dimension where they could hide until they were strong enough to defeat the humans. The island ended up in Limbo and the Demons were trapped indefinitely. However, as the time spell weakened, demons began popping up in the present.

Artemis figures out where the Demons are
Jason
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started these a couple of years ago and have worked through this, the fifth and most recent book, in the Artemis Fowl series. These books are simply fantastic, hilarious mixtures of technology and mythology, and a 12-year-old (when the series begins) Richie Rich type Irish kid who happens to be the most brilliant criminal mind to come down the pipe since Lex Luthor. These will probably end up being dated for their ultra-up-to-date technological bent (much like C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy is now ...more
Chafic (Rello)
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, imagine a land, it's a faraway place
Where the fairies of Ireland can roam
Where you wander among every culture and tongue
It's chaotic, but hey, it's home
When the wind's from the east
And the sun's from the west
And where the demons will fight

Come on down, stop on by
Find the Colony and fly
To another Artemisian night

ARTEMIS OF FOWLLLLL, THE YOUNG PRODIGYYYYY
A demon warlock! You're in for a shock! In another adventure we riddeeeeee.

===
I have fun making these, or rather trying to make them fit with
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine & update title 3 7 Aug 13, 2019 07:35AM
What do you think of Minerva? 5 29 Oct 25, 2014 09:24AM
Help! 3 46 Aug 06, 2014 05:50PM
Holly Short's new career 4 35 Jan 23, 2014 07:09PM

• Queste (Septimus Heap, #4)
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)
  • Snakehead (Alex Rider, #7)
  • Raven Rise (Pendragon, #9)
  • Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • Grim Tuesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #2)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)
  • The Hobbit, Part One
  • Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1)
  • The Travelers (Pendragon: Before the War, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider, #9)
  • Redwall The Graphic Novel
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the

Artemis Fowl (8 books)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1)
  • The Arctic Incident  (Artemis Fowl #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl #3)
  • The Opal Deception (Artemis Fowl #4)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl #8)
“No matter what dimension you're in, there's a big-headed male trying to take over the world.” 537 likes
“If it looks like a Dwarf, and it smells like a Dwarf, then it's probably a Dwarf or a latrine wearing dungerees.” 208 likes