Start by marking “Getting the Knack: 20 Poetry Writing Exercises 20” as Want to Read:
Getting the Knack: 20 Poetry Writing Exercises 20

Getting the Knack: 20 Poetry Writing Exercises 20

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Introduces different kinds of poems, including headline, letter, recipe, list, and monologue, and provides exercises in writing poems based on both memory and imagination.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 11/1/1992 Pages: 203
Published November 1st 1992 by National Council of Teachers of English

To ask other readers questions about Getting the Knack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting the Knack

GNOWP
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-books
This a great book to begin incorporating writing poetry in the classroom or to add to existing lessons. It has great prompts, advice, and student examples. This book is particularly good for the middle school classroom. Some of the best writing I got from my students came from several of the exercises in this book. My favorite letter poem comes from this book--it is titled "To all nail polish name inventors."

excerpt: "We have waited until now to ask this question: How do people learn? Through di
John Orman
Feb 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this workbook quite useful for prompts to kick-start my writing in many different forms and directions. It is basically a manual of exercises for beginning poets.

The late William Stafford, former Poet Laureate of Oregon, is a co-author of this instructive book.

I found most of the categories useful--
Found/Headline Poems--pick up words in articles you like, arrange into sensible format
Acrostic/Recipe Poems--make up words by choosing first letter of list of words
Question/Answer Poems
Confess
ME Pruitt
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This professional resource has a wealth of ideas, lessons, and how-to's about poetry. The chapters are broken up by poetic form, and the authors do a great job of describing various ways of creating poems.

The best thing about this book is that it is very explicit and concrete. Though most probably wouldn't take me up on it, I would feel perfectly comfortable offering this book up for students to peruse; the ideas are that well-explained. Also, there are countless examples of poems that model eac
Stacy Parrish
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: english teachers
Shelves: teachers
It is always good to keep a bag of tricks handy. This book has some great writing exercises for young adults that help take the spookiness out of becoming a confident creative writer.
Meredith
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This did teach me a fair amount about poetry and writing it. However, I can totally own I will never be a good poet. :D
Teri Anderson
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This has some of the best poetry exercises around, without being intimidating. Loads of fun.
Laurie Williams
Mar 10, 2015
Mary Courtley
Jan 31, 2017
Christian
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2016